Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tezzeract posted:

Finally found a video of GSF. Looks pretty great.

http://www.twitch.tv/jediconsular/b/480092226

Seems like theres a decent learning curve too, getting destroyed when first trying it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Al Baron posted:

And this thing:

This will inevitably be sickeningly overpriced, but I'll probably spend CCs on it anyway.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Sombrerotron posted:

This will inevitably be sickeningly overpriced, but I'll probably spend CCs on it anyway.

Yeah, there's no way I'm not owning one.

Zizi
Jan 7, 2010
Haven't played in a (long) while, and the wife and I decide to reinstall, because... well, why not, we had some fun here and there. One question I haven't seen in the last few pages, though--

Is it still advisable, as the OP indicates, to skip advanced classes on Jedi Knights, and if so, what's the reasoning?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Zizi posted:

Haven't played in a (long) while, and the wife and I decide to reinstall, because... well, why not, we had some fun here and there. One question I haven't seen in the last few pages, though--

Is it still advisable, as the OP indicates, to skip advanced classes on Jedi Knights, and if so, what's the reasoning?

I was told that the line in the OP is a joke. I also asked this question in guild chat.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Yes, it's a joke, one of our insane goons actually did it for the kick of it.

Please pick an advanced class.

Zizi
Jan 7, 2010

The Locator posted:

I was told that the line in the OP is a joke. I also asked this question in guild chat.

Medullah posted:

Yes, it's a joke, one of our insane goons actually did it for the kick of it.

Please pick an advanced class.

Thank you. I had a feeling it was at LEAST something out of date, but considering the way the game was shaking out when we last played... well. Anything's possible.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
That line is sadly out of date, as our OP was finally worn down by the frustration of being immediately kicked any time he tried to run an Operation. He is now a boring old Sentinel.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

We should definitely make a new OP when starfighter hits, that stupid joke keeps being read.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
I played Mass Effect for the first time recently and only just realised how the leveling in this is basically Mass Effect with lightsabers, which is no bad thing! The thing is, last time my leveling ground to a halt around Tatooine with super long travel times and super grindy questing, causing me to quit cos I basically just wanted to see the story. Is this still the case or have they fixed it?

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Tatooine just sucks and is a slog.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Tatooine just sucks and is a slog.

Not anywhere near as bad as it was though.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Rocket boots and a speeder helped me get through that stuff. I think speeder training can be gotten at level 10 now or something, which cuts the tedium down pretty hard. Whenever I'm on a mount in SWTOR, my brain shuts off and I just start enjoying the scenery.

The only thing that rubs me in a weird way about SWTOR (and MMOs in general) is just how complicated the skills and talents get. 1-20 is a breezy blast. By the time you're level 50, you have 4 bars worth of conditional skills and a different rotation for each spec (changing talents on the fly can get pretty hairy.)

I'm pretty sure I forgot every single rotation I used previously and I'm not even sure if I still know how to pull mobs :v:

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 17, 2013

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tezzeract posted:

Rocket boots and a speeder helped me get through that stuff. I think speeder training can be gotten at level 10 now or something, which cuts the tedium down pretty hard. Whenever I'm on a mount in SWTOR, my brain shuts off and I just start enjoying the scenery.

The only thing that rubs me in a weird way about SWTOR (and MMOs in general) is just how complicated the skills and talents get. 1-20 is a breezy blast. By the time you're level 50, you have 4 bars worth of conditional skills and a different rotation for each spec (changing talents on the fly can get pretty hairy.)

I'm pretty sure I forgot every single rotation I used previously and I'm not even sure if I still know how to pull mobs :v:

Play a merc, then your rotation is 4 buttons.

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012
While a speeder helps a lot for the travel times, the questing remains grindy. If you come back, I'd recommend leveling mainly through the story quests and flashpoints/pvp/space missions. With the daily/weekly quests, all three give good experience for the time spent (especially space missions) while first two can be fun and engaging with an ok group. There's a double experience weekend at the end of this month as well.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

One of my friends who plays this still is having the time of his life playing three characters at once. He has an Agent, Bounty Hunter, and Consular, and is leveling them all soley through Class and Planetary quest chains + flashpoint and PVP dailies/weeklies.

He pretty much does as much of the class/planet chains as he can before hitting a wall, then does hsi dailies/weeklies, then hops onto another character to do them, if he has time. He finds it fun, and having his Agent be Light as Light can be and his Hunter be Dark as Dark makes him find the planetary chains tolerable to do right after another.

bridgeburner5
Sep 5, 2011
Looking for help to find hk-51 on POT5. Currently stuck on Taris but I still have Hoth, Coruscant and DK....still have to level an Imp to do DK. In game name is Evorm

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

bridgeburner5 posted:

Looking for help to find hk-51 on POT5. Currently stuck on Taris but I still have Hoth, Coruscant and DK....still have to level an Imp to do DK. In game name is Evorm

I can at least help you imperial side, Mentulla/Futis/Sopionis, I want to make another character but I'm running out of latin words for dongs. Rep side I just have Futius, an underlevelled knight.

bhaltair
Jan 7, 2008
I'm looking to try this again after playing it for a month then quitting when it first released. I have a 37 Powertech Bounty Hunter on another server, but none of my friends play anymore so I'm going to re-roll on Jedi Covenant to play in the goon guild in the OP. With that said, I'm trying to figure out what class I want to play. PvP really doesn't interest me so it will be strictly for casual PvE, leveling up, doing the story etc. I tend to like DoT classes, but I'm not entirely sure which is my best choice is. Any general suggestions?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Most people enjoy the agent story a lot, and there's a spec that's DoT-based. If you go Operative, there's the additional benefit of being able to respec into healing to get into groups easier. Sorceror Madness spec is a pretty traditional DoT caster class that currently has some issues in PVP but seems to be fine for PVE. They also have the ability to spec into healing.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The sorc's dot based tree is being fixed somewhat in the next patch, while the operative's dot based tree is still kinda bad. Sounds like sorc is more your cup of tea, they have big channels and dots.

ThreeSixXero
Mar 12, 2013

Unprofessional design critic

bhaltair posted:

I'm looking to try this again after playing it for a month then quitting when it first released. I have a 37 Powertech Bounty Hunter on another server, but none of my friends play anymore so I'm going to re-roll on Jedi Covenant to play in the goon guild in the OP. With that said, I'm trying to figure out what class I want to play. PvP really doesn't interest me so it will be strictly for casual PvE, leveling up, doing the story etc. I tend to like DoT classes, but I'm not entirely sure which is my best choice is. Any general suggestions?

Vengeance Juggernaut.

All it is is managing procs and DoTs, and it does a good amount of DPS.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

hobbesmaster posted:

The sorc's dot based tree is being fixed somewhat in the next patch, while the operative's dot based tree is still kinda bad. Sounds like sorc is more your cup of tea, they have big channels and dots.

Eh Lethality is actually pretty Decent DPS. It's just not the easiest thing to play.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Moving away from sorcerors, anyone have any tips for a DPS/Tank Assassin? I'm thinking of going deep into Deception, with a shield generator and that saber charge that steals life, but I'm curious as to what you may think. Basically, something like this.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shields are only active when in dark charge and have a severe force power (DPS) penalty vs a focus, so that may not be a good idea; especially since deception relies on using surging charge.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Dexo posted:

Eh Lethality is actually pretty Decent DPS. It's just not the easiest thing to play.

I wanted to do a thing with this and the Medicine tree when I played last to try and take advantage of kolto probes giving me free TA procs, and then Culling constantly because of it. I never got around to running it through a parser to see how it stacked up to a dedicated lethality build, but I figured it might be worth it for the utility.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Warmachine posted:

I wanted to do a thing with this and the Medicine tree when I played last to try and take advantage of kolto probes giving me free TA procs, and then Culling constantly because of it. I never got around to running it through a parser to see how it stacked up to a dedicated lethality build, but I figured it might be worth it for the utility.
For what? Raiding? It'll be awful because the core part of the Lethality DPS rotation is taking advantage of Fatality (free Cull + regen). If your culls are not free and you do too many without fatality, you will bottom out on energy and be left hanging in the wind. This is most evident when you start mixing in orbital strike into your rotation.

Lethality DPS is competitive, the problem is the utility on the class is pretty much non existent compared to others. Your gap closer costs considerable energy and gives you no benefit unlike marauder leap, your raid-wide benefit is shared by other classes (combat res) and quite frankly your survivability is nothing compared to other melee classes as only shield probe is vaguely relevant for AoE damage. Evasion is nice, but you don't have a taunt so you can't do anything special with it anyway.

Also it is not a hard spec to play at all (but it is easy to misunderstand it). Your two dots are offset by a GCD, so you simply use grenade, then another ability, and then corrosive dart, and then weakening blast. From there you just use culls when you have more than 1 TA or a Fatality proc, and never drop below 1 TA unless you are bursting down a lovely add or something. Shiv on CD when you are at 1 TA. That's it. If you want to squeeze the extra few hundred DPS that the really good lethality operatives do, then you need to juggle things like vanish into hidden strike and proper orbital strikes, or you learn when that GCD between the two dots should be a weakning blast because SHIV is on CD blah blah blah. But if you just want like 90% of the DPS, you can just stick to the rotation I mentioned.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 18, 2013

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Immortal is the best tree for Juggernaut levelling, right?

Coeus
Sep 21, 2006

VogeGandire posted:

Immortal is the best tree for Juggernaut levelling, right?

Yes, its is loving amazing. I leveled from 10-54 (almost 55) as pure immortal juggernaut. Lets you take on lots of stuff with out dying or never have to really worry about that strong mob that wandered right into the pack you just pulled. I've noticed its amazing for huttball as well, if that's your thing.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
So, uh, anyway, goons, looks like there was a reason for my mic going apeshit Sunday night. It died less than 24 hours later.

I have a brand new one now. It's not static-y or anything, I promise. Sorry about pissing off whoever it was I pissed off.

bridgeburner5
Sep 5, 2011

Steezo posted:

I can at least help you imperial side, Mentulla/Futis/Sopionis, I want to make another character but I'm running out of latin words for dongs. Rep side I just have Futius, an underlevelled knight.

Thanks. Spent like 3 hours on taris but everything else took 20 minutes. Go figure!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Has anyone ever bothered to tell BioWare that having EU and US maintenance times at the same time REALLY screws over EU players?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Only every week for the past two years.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

They did some of the expansion stuff during NA prime time at least.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
EU/US maintenance at the same time is the price you pay for being able to play in both regions with the same account on the same client.

bhaltair
Jan 7, 2008

ThreeSixXero posted:

Vengeance Juggernaut.

All it is is managing procs and DoTs, and it does a good amount of DPS.

Thanks for everyone's replies -- going to role with a Sith Juggernaut for now (I like the idea of being able to offspec into tanking). Are there any guides for returning players who haven't experienced the F2P model yet? I subscribed for 60-days but not sure what I should buy with my Cartel Coins or if I need to buy anything? Thanks!'

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Rascyc posted:

your raid-wide benefit is shared by other classes (combat res)

The combat rezzes for Op/Merc/Sorc's need to be either base lvl 10 powers you get when you pick your AC or picked up in the healing trees. Replace them with lvl 50 abilities that provide a dps increase like every other AC gets.

The only tricky part is giving Medicine Ops more utility since they're already so powerful.

FunkyFlashman
May 10, 2013
Can someone clarify please-

Ashara Zavros: Romanceable only if you are a lightside sith sorcerer. She will constantly be pissed at dark side choices and wants to change you to lightside. I wanted to try Sorc mainly to enjoy all the companions and especially Ashara Zavros but as i see it this will be very annoying and not fun if i keep doing my dark side choices.

FunkyFlashman fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 19, 2013

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FunkyFlashman posted:

Ashara Zavros: Romanceable only if you are a lightside sith sorcerer. She will constantly be pissed at dark side choices and wants to change you to lightside. I wanted to try Sorc mainly to enjoy all the companions and especially Ashara Zavros but as i see it this will be very annoying and not fun if i keep doing my dark side choices.

Or you can be dark side and either not use her as an active companion or shove piles of gifts in her face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

FunkyFlashman posted:

Can someone clarify please-

The only unromanceable romance companion if you are opposite of the companion is Vette. And that's only if you never remove her collar.

• Locked thread