Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Yeah, some assumptions I have are:
a) Do NOT expect anyone outside of the main four Riders to have a lasting presence. I have a suspicion Gridon's suit was finished early enough for press photography, so he's featured as heavily as the others, but he largely reuses Baron's side-effects on the belt (and his bodysuit is a recolour of Baron's, too) which isn't damning, persay, but just...don't get too attached. Gridon has been revealed alongside two other Riders so far in magazine spoilers, Bravo (Some dude using the Durian Seed) and Kurokage (RAIDO WILDO guy using the Pinecone Seed)

Magazine Spoilers have been leaning to this show feeling very Ryuki, which means monsters play a role, but we're going to see a LOT of Riders come and go before this series is over. Like I think offhand already, I can think offhand of ten that have been revealed and we aren't even in the double-digits yet. (Orange, Banana, Grape, Melon, Acorn, Pinecone, Durian, Lemon, Cherry, Peach.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogun Warrior
Apr 25, 2008
The rumor-mongers call for Gaim to ultimately have more Riders in it than Ryuki did, which wouldn't be difficult given the rate the show is introducing them. If we know of 10 distinct Riders as of the Q2 toy scan leaks, that's plenty of time to introduce more than three in the next couple of quarters.

While Gaim is pretty forthrightly following Ryuki's basic format, it's a much better use of that format. Even at four episodes in, Gaim's characters are more fleshed-out and compelling, and they all have more immediately comprehensible motivations for what they're doing. Some of the Ryuki Riders had really good motivations, but a lot of that was rear-loaded, since Ryuki wanted to tease things out as a mystery (the way Agito did).

Gaim also has its fair share of mysteries, but is taking the interesting tack of letting them percolate quietly in the background. It's something to fixate on between weeks if you want, but otherwise it's plenty entertaining to just watch the characters bounce off of each other in the foreground.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Also the scene at Micchy's house with him and his brother I love the acting between the two. Micchy lets his persona of a quiet loyal worker slip a bit in that last sentence and his brother looks genuinely worried about his brother in that small moment. I'm really surprised by this show every episode!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Speaking of Ryuki, I wish that was a thing someone would pick up and resub, that and Kabuto. I love watching multiple riders bounce off each other but fuuuuck TVN.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Dickeye posted:

Speaking of Ryuki, I wish that was a thing someone would pick up and resub, that and Kabuto. I love watching multiple riders bounce off each other but fuuuuck TVN.

I always wanted to put together a Kamen Rider Ryuki in 45 seconds video, which would just be Kanzaki saying "make a contract with me and become a Kamen Rider" with that cat thing from Madoka pasted over his face, then a compilation of every time Shinji says "Ren!"

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Dickeye posted:

There's Kamen Rider: Dragon Knight, but that really doesn't count.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Raws are out for episode 5.

The second half of this episode is pretty great.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm super loving excited for next week, when we'll meet Pierre, the cruelest Rider. The preview had me irrationally happy.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Episode 5 subs are out.

http://aesirsubs.wordpress.com/2013/11/11/kamen-rider-gaim-05/

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

I was smiling through this entire episode. I love where everything is going. :allears: They are just throwing Rider after Rider at us and I loving love it.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

melodicwaffle posted:

I was smiling through this entire episode. I love where everything is going. :allears: They are just throwing Rider after Rider at us and I loving love it.

It's really great how they got Kouta out of his funk just in time for them to raise the stakes even higher with more Riders. :allears:

This is a lot going on for just five episodes, not that I'm complaining.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

TurninTrix posted:

This is a lot going on for just five episodes, not that I'm complaining.

It's nice how fast things progress when they aren't forcing everything into two-episode arcs, isn't it?

Next week looks a bit filler-riffic, though, but amazing all the same.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Fred is on posted:

It's nice how fast things progress when they aren't forcing everything into two-episode arcs, isn't it?

Next week looks a bit filler-riffic, though, but amazing all the same.

Well maybe, yeah, but I mean. Mister Dangerous :allears:

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

I'm just glad that we haven't devolved into the monster of the week yet. I hope the show never gets like that.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
We may be headed towards rider of the week with six riders so far and probably more showing up.

Are acorns and pinecones fruit though?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Botanically, yes!

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I thought there was an interview with Urobuchi where he stated they were considered nuts and that they were [possible minor future spoilers]on a lower level than fruits because of it?

tsob fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Nov 12, 2013

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Acorns are nuts, but nuts are fruit. Pine cones are not nuts. Sometimes cones are super similar to berries though.

Nature's weird.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

tsob posted:

I thought there was an interview with Urobuchi where he stated they were considered nuts and that they were [possible minor future spoilers]on a lower level than fruits because of it?

As I understand it, the last two Riders are basically recolors of existing ones with their own unique Arms. Gridon is basically a brown Gaim before he turns into an acorn, while Kurokage is based on Baron. So you have four main Riders with unique designs, with potentially a lot more "minor" ones based off of them.

Edit: Actually, Zangetsu seems to be based off of Gaim as well, though we haven't gotten a very good look at it without Arms yet.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Fred is on posted:

As I understand it, the last two Riders are basically recolors of existing ones with their own unique Arms. Gridon is basically a brown Gaim before he turns into an acorn, while Kurokage is based on Baron.

Reverse: Gridon has Baron's chainmail, and helmet aside looks exactly like Baron pre-Arms, while Kurokage is... actually closer to Zangetsu's design than Gaim's, based on the bracers and pre-Arms shoulderpads. They even have the same standby tunes as Gaim and Baron before flipping the blade lever, and their Driver callouts are somewhat similar as well (though Gridon's doesn't sound so delightfully ludicrous as Baron's).

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Nov 12, 2013

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Some more upcoming Arms Change figures Baron's Skyrim Mango Armor and Ryugen's Kiwi Chakram Armor

http://sve.2chan.net/cgi/g/src/1384248850914.jpg

loving cool as hell.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Rei_ posted:

Some more upcoming Arms Change figures Baron's Skyrim Mango Armor and Ryugen's Kiwi Chakram Armor

loving cool as hell.

This show is getting ridiculously stupid in all the right ways. I'm glad I made this my first Rider series.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rei_ posted:

loving cool as hell.

Oh jeeze. Those really are horns on his head. Also, the proper Skyrim weapon is a Greatsword :colbert:

Edit: I'm more partial to axe and board and bow

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 12, 2013

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Xelkelvos posted:

Oh jeeze. Those really are horns on his head. Also, the proper Skyrim weapon is a Greatsword :colbert:

Yeah if you're a loving scrub.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Rei_ posted:

loving cool as hell.

I think we're missing the most important thing there. The Rider Arms are all giant Rider heads that unfold.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

SpazmasterX posted:

I think we're missing the most important thing there. The Rider Arms are all giant Rider heads that unfold.
You can actually see this happen at the end of the first Gaim Movie trailer. See here, after the one minute mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Plxze2HDVBs

It's pretty incredible, and I watched it a few times when it first came out to try and figure out just what was going on.

EDIT: Sorry, not actually happen, but the before and after.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I have to say, the "previously on" cold opener theme is incredibly manly and melodramatic. I want it for a ringtone or maybe my alarm clock.

EDIT: Also, I love how out of proportion the swell of the "hoouh hah" motif is to the severity of the situations currently at play. As dance crews fight for the right not to get Served, the music swells to convey the sheer heroic gravitas of it all. Truly, these young men are champions of destiny.

I'm fast becoming hooked on this show.

Runa fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 16, 2013

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E54j01vghmI

Mister Fabulous!

Perigryn fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Nov 17, 2013

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I'm not sure what to think of this guy, really.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Theory: Gaim's final form is going to be a golden Apple Arms form. It strikes me as strange that apples haven't been used yet in the show, nor have they showed up in any toy previews, and apples are usually one of the first things people thing of when you say 'fruit'. Golden apples are also pretty important in Norse mythology. so that would go along with the Norse references the show has already used.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I remember hearing that the fruits for the Riders were determined from a poll of Japanese children's favorite fruits, which might explain why there's no apple yet.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I remember hearing that the fruits for the Riders were determined from a poll of Japanese children's favorite fruits, which might explain why there's no apple yet.

Children like Durian?

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

Dexie posted:

Theory: Gaim's final form is going to be a golden Apple Arms form. It strikes me as strange that apples haven't been used yet in the show, nor have they showed up in any toy previews, and apples are usually one of the first things people thing of when you say 'fruit'. Golden apples are also pretty important in Norse mythology. so that would go along with the Norse references the show has already used.

There's an entirely unsubstantiated rumor on JEFusion about something like this: The rumor is that the mysterious girl is 'Eve', and that a silver-haired 'Adam' will show up later on in the show with the apple lock seed.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Literally every rumor I have read on JEFusion is completely false.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Subs are out for episode 6.

Yet another good episode. I'm loving Pierre's lines.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

I would've gone with a gridiron joke for Gridon instead of changing his name to Ornac, but oh well; everything else about the episode was incredible. Pierre was magnificent in every way, and that transformation sequence was top notch. Especially the boxing bell ringing.

Oh and then there's that whole "these teenage punks fighting for play don't know about REAL WAR" is hilariously curmudgeony. Like if Solid Snake was a flamboyant crotchety "get off my lawn" dude.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

TerminusEst13 posted:

I would've gone with a gridiron joke for Gridon instead of changing his name to Ornac, but oh well; everything else about the episode was incredible. Pierre was magnificent in every way, and that transformation sequence was top notch. Especially the boxing bell ringing.

Oh and then there's that whole "these teenage punks fighting for play don't know about REAL WAR" is hilariously curmudgeony. Like if Solid Snake was a flamboyant crotchety "get off my lawn" dude.
Well, as if that wasn't enough, his actor's name is METAL YOSHIDA.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Is there some sort of Japanese symbolism or mythology that connects acorns and pinecones?

I'm curious because there's a pair of Yu-Gi-Oh! cards named Acorno and Pinecono that work together, like Kurokage and Gridon/Ornac. Seems strange to me that there would be two different shows involving acorns and pinecones working together unless there was some sort of symbolism or legend or something tying the two to each other.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TerminusEst13 posted:

Except Ac-orn -> Orn-ac is the same transformation from Don-guri to Guri-don. It's basically putting the first syllable last. As for the Acorn/Pinecone thing, I'm thinking it's because they're both super common fruits (in a botanical sense) that grow on trees. They're really only missing Chestnuts for common Japanese nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
Even though I'm usually all for localization in subs, something rubs me the wrong way about outright changing character names. It's odd, too, because I totally understand why they did it, and know I wouldn't mind it as much if this were an official translation. Ah, well, I'll just roll with it. Ornac is a fantastically goofy name anyway.

• Locked thread