Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Brocktoon posted:

This fall on ABC: The Preaching Man! Southern preacher Jesse Cutler is having a crisis of faith, until he has a first-hand experience with God. Now he's on a life-affirming journey across the country spreading the good word. In the pilot episode, Jesse dissuades a teenager from attempting suicide.

Forget ABC, send it to CW and have the character be in high school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Madkal posted:

If it's coming from The CW they could introduce Jesse on Supernatural then based on how many fan fictions he appears in spin it off into a show.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
If there is any chance of a Preacher/Hart of Dixie crossover event, I am all in.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Len posted:

If it's coming from The CW they could introduce Jesse on Supernatural then based on how many fan fictions he appears in spin it off into a show.

Can't wait for the fans to start shipping Jesse and Cassidy.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Madkal posted:

Do we really want another 7th Heaven?

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Lightning Lord posted:

I guess this is the place to put this:

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/news/124930-tess-fowler-brian-wood-is-a-dick.html

Fowler came out and said that yup, she was talking about Wood.

So is everyone just taking Fowler's word for it? I can believe Wood was trying to pick her up at a con, but maybe she's blowing out of proportion for revenge purposes. I dunno, I just think that the twitter accusation stuff has gotten out of hand at this point. Someone tweets something and all of a sudden it's gospel.

Even if Wood has a nasty side to him, he's a drat fine comics creator. I'm pretty sure Henry Miller was a bad person, but that doesn't mean people shouldn't read Tropic of Cancer.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Martello posted:

So is everyone just taking Fowler's word for it? I can believe Wood was trying to pick her up at a con, but maybe she's blowing out of proportion for revenge purposes. I dunno, I just think that the twitter accusation stuff has gotten out of hand at this point. Someone tweets something and all of a sudden it's gospel.

Maybe if you looked into it at all instead of trying to justify buying comics from a poo poo dude you'd see there's a mountain of evidence at this point that Wood is a piece of poo poo who creeps on young women in comics and literally drove one out of the medium.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 19, 2013

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Martello posted:

Even if Wood has a nasty side to him, he's a drat fine comics creator. I'm pretty sure Henry Miller was a bad person, but that doesn't mean people shouldn't read Tropic of Cancer.

As Lurdiak pointed out, a lot more has come out since then and all available evidence points to Wood being a bit of a douchebag to women. This timeline Waterhaul shared in the Chat thread breaks it down nicely.

As to the second part though, you do you, man. If you enjoy his work, there's no rule saying you can't continue to. I tend to err on the side of caution and just assume most artists are scumbags.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Madkal posted:

Can't wait for the fans to start shipping Jesse and Cassidy.

I would imagine you could find fanfic of this pretty easily.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Volume posted:

AMC. The station that brought you The Walking Dead and Breaking Bad.

On my list of stations that would not gently caress this up, AMC is one of the closest stations to actually being on the list. Preacher is dark and graphic, profane and brutally human in all the gross ways, and even if you are from the school of Garth Ennis Sometimes Goes For Shock Too Much, which is a point that can be made, toning down Preacher for AMC just seems... impossible. Even toning it down for AMC seems like it would strip Preacher of what made it Preacher. I've even considering HBO I would say the only option to be on my unwritten list is "5 Years in the Future HBO (?)".

Could it really ever be Preacher without the un-censored line: "gently caress YOU AN' THE CROSS YOU RODE IN ON!"

However I heard that some episode scripts and stories have already been written for past dead projects specifically for TV so if the creator thinks he could do it... maybe he can? Seth Rogen though terrifies me if he is doing anything else than producing it. I have a feeling that Seth Rogen, if he is anything like the characters he plays on screen and in interviews, could have read Preacher and really liked it and produce it with the intention of:

"Hey guys, don't mess this up- we need good people to do this. Jonah, you did that whole good actor thing in Moneyball and have been a dick about it so we'll give you the role of Odin Quincannon so prepare to lose a dangerous amount of weight for a role again. Franco, you feeling up for this? You did The Mindy Project- don't act like you are above cable."

I'm unfamiliar with the latest news though and probably wrong about how everything should be done and really just want a good show and Kevin Smith not angrily tweeting in regards to X if he gets to touch the project.

Martello posted:

Without looking into who Wood is or any of the drama, and having just came into this thread and developing a list of things to buy- Tropic of Cancer strangely enough found itself on the list.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Martello posted:

Nobody cares if you buy Wood's books or not, I'm sure there's someone who would be willing to take me to task for some of the books I own but maybe you could refrain from accusing her of "blowing things out of proportion"? That's classic enabling behavior and part of why women are afraid to come out about this sort of thing. Revenge? Come on, son. He's copped to it at this point too. And a bunch of other people have come out about his behavior. It would have to be an active conspiracy for it to be about "revenge"

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 20, 2013

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Preacher can not be done without the word gently caress. It just can't be done. gently caress is used so much in the work it may as well be a member of the cast.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Preacher can not be done without the word gently caress. It just can't be done. gently caress is used so much in the work it may as well be a member of the cast.

I cried when Saint of Killers took out gently caress, man.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
AMC really isn't that restrictive. Their way of handling it when Breaking Bad would use the word "gently caress" was to mute the offending word on the initial broadcast, then at the very least release the uncut versions for DVD/Netflix, which would work decently for Preacher (though they'd probably ADR it instead just to keep the show from having long stretches of people's lips moving with no dialogue). I believe they also aired BB uncut after midnight with a TV-MA rating when applicable, though I could be wrong on that.

e: Also, Aaron Paul as Jesse. :getin:

e2: I will say this, though, I'm annoyed that they're not doing Hellblazer because a good Hellblazer series would be fanfuckingtastic

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Nov 21, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Will gently caress Communism lighters become the new V masks?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

e2: I will say this, though, I'm annoyed that they're not doing Hellblazer because a good Hellblazer series would be fanfuckingtastic

After Constantine I'd be okay with video media dudes not touching Hellblazer, thanks.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

bobkatt013 posted:

Will gently caress Communism lighters become the new V masks?

Probably not, but there were licensed gently caress Communism lighters doing the rounds at the time.

I'd be very happy if no Preacher series was ever made. Even Garth Ennis got it wrong most of the time, and he created it.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Soooo The Wake #5 was weird, and I think in a good way.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Reading the latest issue of Brother Lono, anyone familiar with 100 Bullets agree with this take on Lono's behavior: I'm 100% sure now that Graves poo poo talking to Lono about using another hypnosis word to 'remove his balls' was true. Old style Lono would have left those guys a bloody mess on the sand, and I think this story is heading towards Lono snapping out of it (I guess its redemptive if he is killing a bunch of cartel guys but whatever). This occurred in issue 98 of 100 bullets after he kidnapped Dizzy. He has lost constantly since, and has lacked the spark of unrepentant killer rear end in a top hat.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jedit posted:

Probably not, but there were licensed gently caress Communism lighters doing the rounds at the time.

There was never an officially licensed Preacher Zippo.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jerkface posted:

Reading the latest issue of Brother Lono, anyone familiar with 100 Bullets agree with this take on Lono's behavior: I'm 100% sure now that Graves poo poo talking to Lono about using another hypnosis word to 'remove his balls' was true. Old style Lono would have left those guys a bloody mess on the sand, and I think this story is heading towards Lono snapping out of it (I guess its redemptive if he is killing a bunch of cartel guys but whatever). This occurred in issue 98 of 100 bullets after he kidnapped Dizzy. He has lost constantly since, and has lacked the spark of unrepentant killer rear end in a top hat.

That's an interesting idea. I'll have to look back at some of the old issues to see how I think it matches up. When Lono says to himself you haven't been the same since miami that certainly plays into the idea. The only thing that makes me question it is that he still seems to have his reflexes and strength.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Seldom Posts posted:

The only thing that makes me question it is that he still seems to have his reflexes and strength.

Muscle Memory, man.

Finally caught up to the last issue and holy poo poo if that last panel didn't just hit me. Father Manny echoed exactly what I was thinking. Those cartel members have no idea how hosed they are. It feels so strange to be cheering on Lono.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Volume posted:

Muscle Memory, man.

Finally caught up to the last issue and holy poo poo if that last panel didn't just hit me. Father Manny echoed exactly what I was thinking. Those cartel members have no idea how hosed they are. It feels so strange to be cheering on Lono.

That last panel plays into the idea as well since CROATOA is ominously prevalent in the framing.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Seldom Posts posted:

That's an interesting idea. I'll have to look back at some of the old issues to see how I think it matches up. When Lono says to himself you haven't been the same since miami that certainly plays into the idea. The only thing that makes me question it is that he still seems to have his reflexes and strength.

The under hypnosis minute men had good reflexes (Cole catching baseball etc) but were not super badass killers again until snapped out of. How this pans out / how much Lono is going to think back on the prior series has me so interested in this next issue since its basically going to pop off when they try to torture him.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I know most of you are probably going to think I'm retarded for this but I want to say that I'm not really a comic book dude. I pick up titles that seem interesting but for the most part I don't really follow the news or who's who in the industry. There's a few writers that I do know and occasionally google to see if they have anything new out but mainly I don't know who's who.

I was flipping through the latest issue of The Wake. One of the panels was a close up of Lee and something about her face caught my eye. The square jaw, the thin line for lips and slight sketch look to her face.

"This looks like a Joe the Barbarian."

Hell yeah, I recognized Sean Murphy's art and made the connection all my self. I thought that was kind of cool.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Check out Punk Rock Jesus for more of that dude. He wrote it too.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Edit: disregard this, I'm only mostly dumb.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Teenage Fansub posted:

Check out Punk Rock Jesus for more of that dude. He wrote it too.

I really enjoyed Punk Rock Jesus.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The next arc of The Unwritten will be the last. I'm guessing it's an extended 12-issue arc, or they probably wouldn't have bothered renumbering it.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Is Trillium losing anyone else? I'm just seeing a bunch of cutesy panel gimmicks around a story between two folks who took drugs and think they're in love, with some poorly fleshed out sci fi thrown in.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

StumblyWumbly posted:

Is Trillium losing anyone else? I'm just seeing a bunch of cutesy panel gimmicks around a story between two folks who took drugs and think they're in love, with some poorly fleshed out sci fi thrown in.

Lost me after the second issue.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
When this week's issue of the New Yorker arrived, I saw what looked like someone familiar in a familiar setting:

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/culture/2013/12/cover-story-tis-the-season-by-istvan-banyai.html#slide_ss_0=1

Between the dress and the hair, that's gotta be Tulip. (Or, of course, a total coincidence.) Still, in my brain this will remain a shout-out.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Anyone else reading Hinterkind? The first two issues didn't grab me all that much, but with the third one, I think the story and background is starting to take root and interest me more.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Chairman Capone posted:

Anyone else reading Hinterkind? The first two issues didn't grab me all that much, but with the third one, I think the story and background is starting to take root and interest me more.

I'm on the fence. I'm going to see how this first arc ends before deciding if I'll keep reading.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Just saw this posted in GBS.

http://www.avclub.com/article/joseph-gordonlevitt-really-is-making-sandman-into-106567

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I like JGL as an actor, and while I didn't see Don Juan I heard good things about it, but I can't really see him as Morpheus or director of a Sandman movie. Or David Goyer doing a good script version of it, especially solo.

I always thought one of the most problematic aspects of adapting Sandman, besides the huge sprawling mythos, is that the opening volume is easily the weakest of the series and lacks a lot of the themes and characters that made it so popular, but is also pretty essential to setting the series up.

I feel like the best way for an adaptation to work, especially in movie form where a lot of stuff would need to be trimmed out, would be to start out covering the stuff from the first issue or two of Preludes (Morpheus being imprisoned, and his eventual escape and return to the Dreaming) and then to jump right into Season of Mists.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Chairman Capone posted:

I like JGL as an actor, and while I didn't see Don Juan I heard good things about it, but I can't really see him as Morpheus or director of a Sandman movie. Or David Goyer doing a good script version of it, especially solo.

I always thought one of the most problematic aspects of adapting Sandman, besides the huge sprawling mythos, is that the opening volume is easily the weakest of the series and lacks a lot of the themes and characters that made it so popular, but is also pretty essential to setting the series up.

I feel like the best way for an adaptation to work, especially in movie form where a lot of stuff would need to be trimmed out, would be to start out covering the stuff from the first issue or two of Preludes (Morpheus being imprisoned, and his eventual escape and return to the Dreaming) and then to jump right into Season of Mists.

I really think they would need to include 24 hours.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I posted this in the GBS thread but that's GBS so maybe you all might understand it a bit better.

A big part of Sandman is stories. In the beginning Morpheus doesn't really have any stories of himself. He's just a part of other people's stories from the dude who he meets every 100 years to Barbie in A Game of You. In a lot of the trades and he's only a minor figure in a bigger story.

So in that tradition of stories, I would like to see the Sandman movie be an anthology of stories. Three of four shorts that highlight the different parts of Morpheus. One based around his family, one in line with something like the dream vortex, ect, ect. You get the idea.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Volume posted:

I know most of you are probably going to think I'm retarded for this but I want to say that I'm not really a comic book dude. I pick up titles that seem interesting but for the most part I don't really follow the news or who's who in the industry. There's a few writers that I do know and occasionally google to see if they have anything new out but mainly I don't know who's who.

I was flipping through the latest issue of The Wake. One of the panels was a close up of Lee and something about her face caught my eye. The square jaw, the thin line for lips and slight sketch look to her face.

"This looks like a Joe the Barbarian."

Hell yeah, I recognized Sean Murphy's art and made the connection all my self. I thought that was kind of cool.

Murphy also drew a Hellblazer mini called City of Demons. It's not the best Constantine story ever but the art is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

StumblyWumbly posted:

I dunno, I think Trillium is up to something pretty amazing and am really interested to see how the last few issues play out. I don't think anything about it is poorly fleshed out; it's so structurally complex so far that it's obvious Lemire knows exactly what he's doing. All odd-numbered issues have had flipped pages and all even-numbered issues have had the timelines interacting in a way to be read straight through. The events at the end of issue #4 pretty obviously telegraphed a major point in the chronology, but we still haven't gotten to see where it all began. Issue #5 seemed like a different 1921 than the 1921 of issue #1 to me, but that remains to be seen. Essie's flawed translation has given enough clues to crack the cryptography of the Atibithians' language (I haven't done it yet because I don't want to ruin anything). It's all pretty dense, and that's ignoring how unique and cool Lemire's art is.

• Locked thread