Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
In case you were curious, I made parse Kodaji.

Twice.

I have zero raid loot. :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
I warned your rear end son. I WARNED YOU.

Just wait til you get a couple raid weapons and a few other pieces. That horrible feeling gets way worse once you see how much DPS everyone *should* be doing

Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005
Diesel Powered Robot Panda
I made parse on my bard once. That's how terrible some of that guild is.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Lost my job so Solotiv may be making his triumphant(read: poo poo) return to Test, until I get bored in a week anyway.

Edit: What are the goon chat channel(s) if any these days? If they're not something that people want to post on the forums I guess you could PM me or something.

Shrapnig fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 4, 2013

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

serverwide.gchat:fygm

I hope no one infiltrates our super secret meeting places where we discuss things part too important for the general population.

Like 4 hours of the test players complaining about how terrible their raids are going.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
I don't try to complain, it just sorta happens :smith:

Working on my shawl and almost done! The best route for TS is draughts and high trivial combines; it saves a lot of headache. They let you skill-up on the silliest poo poo no one should be using. I got the last 50ish points in pottery from making only 100 powersources. I doubt anyone is buying multiple draughts on live but copying them on test is a life saver. Last one for me is jewelcrafting, making a million billion blue diamond + velium bar stuff.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 11, 2013

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

The fierce urgency of now
I think its about time for my group and I to have more EQ times. We got bored of the last expansion, but now there's a new one!

How is it? I saw previous posts that the entire raid content was finished within 8 hours of release - that's gotta be a joke, right?

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
I've been having a blast working through SoD with my box team of SK, Mage, Bard with a healer merc (and occasionally caster dps mercs but usually not). I had my SK's tanking AA's mostly maxed out at 84 but now I've hit 85 and it looks like there are 5 new ranks of all the defensives along with new lines, so I'll be stuck here grinding a while. Are there any out of the way places that this trio could grind out a ton of AA's? I've spent more time than I care to think about in Field of Scale, Temple of Bertoxx, and Blackburrow and I don't think I'm powerful enough to make Kaesora Library or Tosk easy so I'm wondering if I should move back to an SoF zone. I've never entered Mech guardian, beza, or zeka but I've heard a lot about them.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

bacon! posted:

I think its about time for my group and I to have more EQ times. We got bored of the last expansion, but now there's a new one!

How is it? I saw previous posts that the entire raid content was finished within 8 hours of release - that's gotta be a joke, right?

That's what he said, but I do think it's worth looking at the whole picture (please correct me if I have this wrong jetz0r, because pretty sure that was you):

It's not "beat the expansion in 8 hours", it's "One of (the?) best EQ guilds in the game that had already learned everything on the Test server beat all the raid content that was designed as mostly side-upgrades, not actual typical vertical progression".

That doesn't mean it's a good expansion, but it's not like your average no-name guild figured it all out first time and waltzed through a tier or two of armor.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Andy Dufresne posted:

I've been having a blast working through SoD with my box team of SK, Mage, Bard with a healer merc (and occasionally caster dps mercs but usually not). I had my SK's tanking AA's mostly maxed out at 84 but now I've hit 85 and it looks like there are 5 new ranks of all the defensives along with new lines, so I'll be stuck here grinding a while. Are there any out of the way places that this trio could grind out a ton of AA's? I've spent more time than I care to think about in Field of Scale, Temple of Bertoxx, and Blackburrow and I don't think I'm powerful enough to make Kaesora Library or Tosk easy so I'm wondering if I should move back to an SoF zone. I've never entered Mech guardian, beza, or zeka but I've heard a lot about them.

At 85 you can do anything in SoD/SoF/TSS ; Tosk/korascian warrens, Direwind, Ashengate, Frostcrypt/Icefell, Old Bloodfields and all the gnome mecha poo poo. You probably even able to do HoT courtyard/grounds. Then you have a pretty natural progression post 90ish, of HoT stuff, some VoA(maybe), and then RoF/Cotf. I recommend staying away from underfoot and VoA for the most part, but some might disagree.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 19, 2013

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

bacon! posted:

It's cool, just log on an PL me to 100, thanks.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

bacon! posted:

Coming from someone in a guild still mid-RoF raid tier, the new raids are on par with mid-RoF and the group content is horrible. I finished every group mission back to back in a couple hours. There's only a couple slots of gear to loot, so hope you like collecting 15 different cloaks with the exact same stats. I'm pretty sure nearly everyone agrees CotF is the worst addition to EQ in a long long time. Haven't touched the group content once aside from plowing all the missions.

Even with a group-geared group, you're probably going to run out of anything to do in a couple days unless grinding a million merc AA that are trivial improvements at best appeals to you. There's just plain very little content, and what content exists is trivially easy and bland as gently caress.

My guild had a huge wave of people come back when the expansion hit and we were fielding 50+ on raids. That lasted a couple weeks max before everyone was out of poo poo to do and quit again, so we're back to like 25 person raids. Worst expansion.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

MrTheDevious posted:

Coming from someone in a guild still mid-RoF raid tier, the new raids are on par with mid-RoF and the group content is horrible. I finished every group mission back to back in a couple hours. There's only a couple slots of gear to loot, so hope you like collecting 15 different cloaks with the exact same stats. I'm pretty sure nearly everyone agrees CotF is the worst addition to EQ in a long long time. Haven't touched the group content once aside from plowing all the missions.

Even with a group-geared group, you're probably going to run out of anything to do in a couple days unless grinding a million merc AA that are trivial improvements at best appeals to you. There's just plain very little content, and what content exists is trivially easy and bland as gently caress.

My guild had a huge wave of people come back when the expansion hit and we were fielding 50+ on raids. That lasted a couple weeks max before everyone was out of poo poo to do and quit again, so we're back to like 25 person raids. Worst expansion.

In other words, ignore the new expansion for now and wait at least long enough for the second part of tier 1, or even whatever comes after.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

bacon! posted:

Like others said, that's for the #1 guild in game, and was under 8 hours. And only 1 hour of that was spent in raiding, the rest was in group content to be able to request the raids.

The best part of this expansion is that I only have to deal with it for an hour a week.

Andy Dufresne posted:

I've been having a blast working through SoD with my box team of SK, Mage, Bard with a healer merc Are there any out of the way places that this trio could grind out a ton of AA's?

If your SK is up to swarming, I think frostcrypt is the place to be at 85, then fort mech at 90. FM starts going green above 90, but beza and zeka are good till 95. Kaesora is good from 90 to 98 or 99, but it's harder than those other ones.

For more normal group style killing, Lower House can get you some armor and the kill quests add a decent exp boost.

Shard's Landing also opens up pretty low. The weak-con mobs in there are lb to 100. And the quest line in SL gives some insane exp for completing it, might be a good place to go around 90 to see something new and do some neat quests.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

At 85 I recommend Thalassius swarming instead of Frostcrypt because Thal is hands down the best swarming zone in the game other than Fire, but the rest of that is accurate. Thal greens at 89, when you can start FM. You can stay in FM until 92 and still have plenty of light blues, just pull the whole field you start on, then go up the elevator and pull all of that poo poo.

Don't swarm Beza because it has rear end in a top hat gnomes that will stun your rear end and kill the poo poo out of you, but Zeka is awesome. Do the running-around quest for the Gyrospire device bc it lets you instant port to the top of Zeka. Then just train all the way down the tower, roll out into the field at the bottom and gather all of that poo poo up too. It's a LOT of mobs and the zone will lag, so play rodeo and wrangle them all into one bigass warping laggy pile, then run into one of the tents and plant your rear end in the corner. Blow all your cooldowns because you just pulled the whole zone anyway. AFK for 10 mins after the swarm's dead so the zone repops, then do it all over. IMO it's way less trouble than Kaesora through 95, but I personally hated Kaesora. Sadly Kaesora's the only thing you can do from 96-99, then at 100 you're pretty much stuck either getting poo poo xp from flipping Kaesora raid instances or moving to Grounds which is a HUGE step up in difficulty. Highly recommend not leveling past 98 until you're 5k+ AA if you're wanting to swarm for xp. Grounds is extremely hard with group gear.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I'm also pretty sure the 10-15+ people in grounds at all times will probably object. I swear someone is 'swarming' lunanyn on test and it drove me insane while leveling bad alts. Every 10-15 minutes or so mobs I'd pull would constantly warp the gently caress out or teleport back to their spawn.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Stanos posted:

I'm also pretty sure the 10-15+ people in grounds at all times will probably object. I swear someone is 'swarming' lunanyn on test and it drove me insane while leveling bad alts. Every 10-15 minutes or so mobs I'd pull would constantly warp the gently caress out or teleport back to their spawn.

That's probably mages beam kiting. As much or more zone disruption as swarming, and less risk to the player doing it!

MrTheDevious posted:

At 85 I recommend Thalassius swarming instead of Frostcrypt because Thal is hands down the best swarming zone in the game other

Don't swarm Beza because it has rear end in a top hat gnomes that will stun your rear end and kill the poo poo out of you, but Zeka is awesome. Do the running-around quest for the Gyrospire device bc it lets you instant port to the top of Zeka.

My SK didn't exist before level 90, so the lower stuff is a mystery to me

Don't the instanced gyrospires lose the rear end in a top hat gnomes? The one I swarmed the most had some shithead in the static version that would proc FD on you, but he was missing from the instanced one.

As far as I recall, there's no flagging needed for gyrospire instances, you just need 3 players/mercs in group to request.

The Gyrospire clickie owns and is something I get on every character because its port is unique in that it's not a spell that you cast, instead, it's a script. Which means you can use it while stunned/invul/silenced/whatever. If you absolutely need to get the gently caress out of where ever you are, it will do it, no restrictions, no questions, no waiting. Bam. Gone.

jetz0r fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Nov 21, 2013

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

jetz0r posted:

That's probably mages beam kiting. As much or more zone disruption as swarming, and less risk to the player doing it!

My SK didn't exist before level 90, so the lower stuff is a mystery to me

Don't the instanced gyrospires lose the rear end in a top hat gnomes? The one I swarmed the most had some shithead in the static version that would proc FD on you, but he was missing from the instanced one.

As far as I recall, there's no flagging needed for gyrospire instances, you just need 3 players/mercs in group to request.

The Gyrospire clickie owns and is something I get on every character because its port is unique in that it's not a spell that you cast, instead, it's a script. Which means you can use it while stunned/invul/silenced/whatever. If you absolutely need to get the gently caress out of where ever you are, it will do it, no restrictions, no questions, no waiting. Bam. Gone.

Isn't there a no frontal stun AA or something? I swarmed Beza a fair bit mostly because it's easy and never really had an issue other than the loving knockback which booted me off the island more than once. That poo poo is terrible. I think it's from the minotaurs actually.

Beach Party
May 2, 2012

"I took the most excellent hit of my life. Next thing I knew, I was on the beach taking in some cosmic rays gettin healed by mother nature. Takin in a little brewski, holdin on to a beautiful babe. And I'm fine today!"
So according to all the forums RoI is the premier place for a 76 paladin to solo/molo. I tried it out and im getting beat up pretty bad on singles. I pull with dispell so its not a bloister issue. Im in full defiant gear on the slots that show and wearing level 75 rings/ears/face which is the best i can find in the baz so i cant really upgrade my gear until level 80. Is there another place that is a step below RoI filled with undead that i can grind on before coming back with a few more levels under my belt. I have 750AAs and all of the tanking ones are completed for my level along with pretty much all of the DPS ones i can get. Anyone have any suggestions/tips to help me out?

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Defiant is really lovely at 70, is there any glowing athlai/othni on the bazaar? Or the SoD version, (archaic?)

I'm not sure how long RoI is good for but you might just want to push to 80 and try to get your filthy hands on abstruse (T1 HoT). It's a big upgrade.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

It actually gets better as you level because it's one of the few zones Pallies can pretend to be SKs and swarm in

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Shrapnac posted:

Isn't there a no frontal stun AA or something? I swarmed Beza a fair bit mostly because it's easy and never really had an issue other than the loving knockback which booted me off the island more than once. That poo poo is terrible. I think it's from the minotaurs actually.

There's an anti-melee stun AA that knights/wars get eventually goes up to 100%. But that doesn't stop stuns from spells.

Another AA gives you a chance to keep casting through a stun, and I think there's one that lets you shake off any stun, spell or melee.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

There is, it triggers right around 30% of the time. I finally parsed it just to see during that rear end in a top hat in NToV with the worst loving stun bullshit of all time. Basically everything these days they actually want to stun successfully comes with spell stuns though, so the frontal melee immunity doesn't really do much to protect you anymore. The Beza stun is spell for sure

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Melee stun immunity stops those loving spin stuns while pulling, so it's worth every AA.

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

Shrapnac posted:

It's cool, just log on an PL me to 100, thanks.

Easy! You should have to wear a "Sponsored by Quillmayne" tshirt or something

You guys did not do a good job selling the new xpac. Merc AA does not sound like fun

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
The whole expansion is a lot of half-baked ideas that don't really work. Like RoF there's named that either are a joke or thrash the poo poo out of a box group. I'm still not 100% sure if the named mosquito is working correctly/how to break it in one of the dead hills heroic adventures but the one in another spawns an add then does nothing for the rest of the fight. Merc upgrades are very minimal and won't save their life from the stuff that kills mercs in the first place. New spells either go from complete trash (Here's looking at you, druid spells) to complete bullshit (Shield of Fate, No Time to Bleed[kinda]). HAs are kinda fun but get old after a while. If the chase items weren't in there I probably would've stopped giving a poo poo a while ago.

Monks at least got some buffs and came out really well from when you quit. 2H can actually be viable with the new heroic adventure weapon if you were into that before.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

bacon! posted:

Easy! You should have to wear a "Sponsored by Quillmayne" tshirt or something

You guys did not do a good job selling the new xpac. Merc AA does not sound like fun

But we're fellowship bros!

Honestly I've logged in twice in the past week and spent like four hours each time sitting in the Lobby chatting/lightly trolling general chat and browsing the sparse Bazaar.

I have this thing in the back of my head where I should hit 100 and get a bunch of AA just in case the next expansion is really neat but I know it won't be. That and Kodaji will just do all the cool stuff and get all the neat gear before me anyway, EVEN THOUGH HE'S A FV COPY AND MADE HIS SK AFTER ME LIKE A DICKFACE. Oh poo poo what happened, I blacked out.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Don't worry, Slippri will have all the cool stuff before that, and never use it for anything because group stuff is boring.

bacon! posted:

jetz0r posted:

The best part of this expansion is that I only have to deal with it for an hour a week.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Kod doesn't do cool stuff on his SK he piggy backs content then laughs when you try to do it for gear. gently caress chelsith.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

I'm not an FV copy :jeb:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
So is Test still the cool place to be? Thinking about giving boxing another shot - does Test still give all the expansions, and faster exp?

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Test is never a cool place to be but it is free and gives you all expansions.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

That's pretty drat accurate. We're still free and mega xp, but there's not really all that much to do in EQ at this point unless you're raiding, so just depends on what you want to do

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
If you're looking to chode, box and do stupid poo poo Test is a great server. If you're looking to progress a character in the numbers going up and up sense, go to a live server. Test is very good if you want to stop and smell the roses as there's plenty of content for you to devour pre-80 if you want it. There's also a semi-decent progression style guild if that's your bag. I'm planning on getting a wizard in there to do SoF since it always looked fun. If you want to raid and/or rush to 100, forget it. You'll have nothing to do in a month and the biggest raid guild on test is spinning its wheels right now.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

jetz0r posted:

Don't worry, Slippri will have all the cool stuff before that, and never use it for anything because group stuff is boring.

Finishing Dzarn's zone, The Dead Hills, was really fun. He's an oldschool EQ lover (especially the lore) and his zones reflect that. When you finish all the tasks, you get a cutscene with a foreboding poem that hints towards Zebuxoruk and what lies under The Dead Hills (we're not finished with that area, there will be more in future content updates I'm sure.) You slip into a dream, and wake up in The Void, in front of Zebuxoruk, who tells you where you need to go sort of like how he did in Seeds. Thats where he ports you to Neriak and you finish The Missing Scroll, a quest that has been in game since the beginning of the game but was never finished (until now.) And you go to an instanced version of Felwithe to retrieve it.

In all, it was my favorite group content I've experienced in years.

The Bixie Warfront was dumb though, it seemed so random and out of place. Although I think the whole point of that entire zone was that Selo's Drum will have some use at the end of the expansion.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Stanos posted:

If you're looking to chode, box and do stupid poo poo Test is a great server. If you're looking to progress a character in the numbers going up and up sense, go to a live server. Test is very good if you want to stop and smell the roses as there's plenty of content for you to devour pre-80 if you want it. There's also a semi-decent progression style guild if that's your bag. I'm planning on getting a wizard in there to do SoF since it always looked fun. If you want to raid and/or rush to 100, forget it. You'll have nothing to do in a month and the biggest raid guild on test is spinning its wheels right now.

I PL'd a paladin for raiding with that guild and they're good at progressing or whatever, but it's astoundingly boring. There's zero bullshitting or laughing or anything else. Just feels like you're raiding with 50 mercs. Ffalin, Vylar, and I all raided with them for a week and never went back, though it's possible we're just spoiled by LoB's tank channel which is basically the Cool Channel For Cool Bros posterboy.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

MrTheDevious posted:

I'm not an FV copy :jeb:

My bad, I was thinking of Beo.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Been playing a newb character with an old eq friend. The hero's journey and crescent reach stuff was getting boring, level 18 and killing rats and snakes in a field. So we went over to unrest and plowed through that in a dungeon crawl. Then went over to Lguk, then solb. The exp worked out almost perfectly to keep us at par with the monsters, with just a couple respawn clears along the way to catch up. Of course, having a L100 druid on tap for when things go wrong does help. But it still feels like a thing real newbs could do. Tank mercs being such beasts combined with the low hps on old world stuff meant pulls had to be pretty huge before they were actually a problem.

I think sebilis is up next for mid 40s to mid 50s, then luclin or pop stuff.

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

I know this isn't the thread, but since the latest expansion is kind of a bust, what do EQ1 goons think of Vanguard? Worth checking out? The first post in the thread is pretty rosey, and I know some of you guys play occasionally.

Is it Just as McQuaid Intended?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I would definitely consider the Hole even though it's cliche and actually a good xp zone, it was always a great crawl going through that city. SolC and Chardok are neat too, along with Veksar.

Vanguare is actually pretty decent now. It's just playing it hurts. Not in the 'my god this game is terrible' type of way but in the 'if only they didn't rush it out' sense. There's a LOT of bugs and dungeons that are very much unfinished, quests that lead to nowhere, newbie zones that aren't in place. It certainly had potential and if you stick to the well-worn path it's mostly good from what I've read and heard. It's when you get off said path that things get...strange. Flarestar would be your best bet for Vanguard info though.