Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Hummingbirds posted:

What's it called when something (typically a mineral crystal) is set in jewelry using metal like this? And how is it done?

I've heard people call them "bails" but I don't know if that's really what they're called. "Findings" is the term for all that jewelry-making poo poo so you could probably start your search there.
In that picture it looks like they just wrapped the crystal with soft metal and then crimped it down with some needlenose pliers. There may have been some heat involved if the metal wasn't all that soft.
Cheaper jewelry would just use a little adhesive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Are there any famous, or see semi-famous, people that are confirmed to have a forums account?

Daniel Negreanu posted a few times back when the poker subforum existed but hasn't posted since.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
MS Word Pros Help!

I write a lot of reports and I generally start a new report by using a template from a previous one I wrote. They basically all follow the same framework and I have to go in and input new numbers, calculations, pictures, etc.

I am noticing that even though this is faster than writing a whole new report from scratch, I am spending most of my time making sure I don't have any left overs from a previous report. Is there a way to chain things together in MS Word so if I change something (such as sales price) it will change all of the other ones in the report?

Also, I have to add a significant amount of pictures and it is very tedious to make sure that the spacing between photo titles and the photo are lined up across all the pages. Is there a way to make a frame of some sort on a MS Word Page so, I simply just drop a photo into a frame and it fits exactly, instead of trying to move it around after text wrapping it?

Thank You.

miryei
Oct 11, 2011

Very Strange Things posted:

I've heard people call them "bails" but I don't know if that's really what they're called. "Findings" is the term for all that jewelry-making poo poo so you could probably start your search there.
In that picture it looks like they just wrapped the crystal with soft metal and then crimped it down with some needlenose pliers. There may have been some heat involved if the metal wasn't all that soft.
Cheaper jewelry would just use a little adhesive.

Bails are the bit that attach the pendant to the necklace, not the bit that attach the crystal to the pendant. Here's some other pendants that use bails so you can see what I'm talking about :

I think the specific setting is called a "bead cap" or perhaps just a "cap" more generally. They can be crimped or glued or both. For a different look the stone can also be drilled partway through with a pin glued inside for more stability, using something like this:

And here's an example where a clear tube was put together with a cap on each end, with the wire loop at the bottom anchoring everything in place.

miryei fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 18, 2013

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Thanks. I found the term "gold dipped" for the specific thing in the picture I posted. I'm curious about how it forms so closely to the crystal. Is it actually dipped in molten gold? Seems like the melting point of gold is too high for that. I guess maybe it's dripped on with an industrial soldering iron or something. Or maybe like Very Strange Things said, it's just wire crimped to the crystal.

Mainly I'm just wondering if it's something I can easily recreate at home. I have some really nice amethyst and clear quartz crystals that I think would look nice as pendants.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Hummingbirds posted:

Thanks. I found the term "gold dipped" for the specific thing in the picture I posted. I'm curious about how it forms so closely to the crystal. Is it actually dipped in molten gold? Seems like the melting point of gold is too high for that. I guess maybe it's dripped on with an industrial soldering iron or something. Or maybe like Very Strange Things said, it's just wire crimped to the crystal.

Mainly I'm just wondering if it's something I can easily recreate at home. I have some really nice amethyst and clear quartz crystals that I think would look nice as pendants.

If you have zero experience in making jewelry it will look like poo poo. Look at your local art college for people who teach metal working or just call a few independent jewellers in town for a quote.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

If you have zero experience in making jewelry it will look like poo poo. Look at your local art college for people who teach metal working or just call a few independent jewellers in town for a quote.

I have a lot of amateur experience making jewelry, but only a little in metal working (i.e. soldering or wire wrapping). However I do know some art professors so thanks, I'll talk to them next time I see them :)

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

Just use the Google Drive desktop application (it will make a Google Drive folder on your system), then save the item in the directory and work on it from there. I wrote my entire graduate thesis this way and never encountered any problems.

Thanks. I'll give that a try.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Hummingbirds posted:

I have a lot of amateur experience making jewelry, but only a little in metal working (i.e. soldering or wire wrapping). However I do know some art professors so thanks, I'll talk to them next time I see them :)

Might have been over thinking it. Searching for "pendant mount" came up with this type of stuff: http://www.jillybeads.co.uk/Swarovski-Crystal-Beads/Bails--Pendant-Mounts.htm

The filthy hippies I know usually just wrap crystals in nice wire, Search youtube for a how-to. If you don't like it it's easy to dismantle.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Is there a good free epub reader for Windows 7?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

razorrozar posted:

I normally read my epubs on a tablet, but when I need to open one on a PC, I use the Firefox addon EPUBReader. Simple, free, does what it says on the tin, and is even cross-platform in case you should ever switch to Mac or Linux.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

razorrozar posted:

Calibre can open them, or convert them to other formats.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Tiggum posted:

Calibre can open them, or convert them to other formats.
Seconding Calibre. Works great and the conversion tool is very handy.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

I was listening to the local hip hop station last Saturday night. They have a deal where they get a DJ to mix tracks live in-studio.

I have been trying to track down the name of a song I heard during the session and I've had no luck.

The song was either called something like "America" or "L'America", or else the chorus was something like "America". It had a very Middle-Eastern vibe to it, and I really liked it. But I have no idea who it was or what it was called. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I would probably just call the radio station and if they don't know they can at least put you in contact with the DJ. (I only say that because your description is unfortunately pretty vague)

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
When someone adopts an animal, and that pet has a name already, do they have to use the same name or can they change it.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

OctoberBlues posted:

I would probably just call the radio station and if they don't know they can at least put you in contact with the DJ. (I only say that because your description is unfortunately pretty vague)

Agreed, and I've been trying whenever I think of it. It's always either busy, or rings 10-15 times and then hangs up. I have also sent them an email.

If they respond I'll post it here just because I inquired here.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

b0nes posted:

When someone adopts an animal, and that pet has a name already, do they have to use the same name or can they change it.

How could anyone stop you from renaming your pets?

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Tiggum posted:

How could anyone stop you from renaming your pets?

The pet itself may not respond well to its new name.

Of course cats don't respond well to any name.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

b0nes posted:

You can totally change it, dogs learn their new name in a month or so. Cats take longer though, cause they don't give a gently caress.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

hoobajoo posted:

You can totally change it, dogs learn their new name in a month or so. Cats take longer though, cause they don't give a gently caress.
My dog responds to any happy sounding words you say in her direction. Dogs don't care what you call them so long as there's a treat waiting for them when they trot over. Cat's don't give a gently caress because cats are more like the world's shittiest roommate than a pet.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

johnny sack posted:

I was listening to the local hip hop station last Saturday night. They have a deal where they get a DJ to mix tracks live in-studio.

I have been trying to track down the name of a song I heard during the session and I've had no luck.

The song was either called something like "America" or "L'America", or else the chorus was something like "America". It had a very Middle-Eastern vibe to it, and I really liked it. But I have no idea who it was or what it was called. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.

A long shot, but is it this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E9Ed9DUQoQ

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

johnny sack posted:

Doors?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO0GgHuXUyA&t=116s

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

razz posted:

I found out that the government built giant concrete arrows to help pilots with air mail delivery (obviously this was a long time ago). There's a website that lists the locations of all the known beacons, but can anyone help me figure out how to read the coordinates so I can search for them on Google Maps? There are a couple pretty close to my house and I want to check them out.

http://surveymarks.planetzhanna.com/airway-beacons-list-western-u-s/

The coordinates (for the arrows with known locations) look like this:

JE1695. The following values were computed from the NAD 83(1997) position.
JE1695
JE1695; North East Units Scale Factor Converg.
JE1695;SPC KS S - 590,749.176 689,076.044 MT 0.99996292 +2 01 56.8
JE1695;SPC KS S - 1,938,149.59 2,260,743.65 sFT 0.99996292 +2 01 56.8
JE1695;UTM 15 - 4,245,718.629 308,367.770 MT 1.00005227 -1 21 38.0
JE1695
JE1695 SUPERSEDED SURVEY CONTROL
JE1695
JE1695 NAD 83(1986)- 38 20 20.87892(N) 095 11 33.63838(W) AD( ) 3
JE1695 NAD 27 - 38 20 20.81200(N) 095 11 32.72800(W) AD( ) 3

This part is the coordinates given as degrees, minutes and seconds: 38 20 20.87892(N) 095 11 33.63838(W)

Click the icon that looks like a yellow pin , and enter the numbers so it looks like this:

(Sorry about the moonspeak version of Google Earth)
e: welp pasted the decimals of the seconds wrong

The pin will now be placed in a field in Anderson County, Kansas. In the North-East corner of that field are some things that kind of looks like arrows.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Is there a name for decorative spikes (spires?) along the edges of old building rooftops like churches?

Not the best example, but:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:The_bombed_out_St_Luke%27s_Church_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1206139.jpg
On the right, separating the rows of square parapets. (Bonus architecture thing: I'm also really confused about the term parapets versus crenels/crenellations versus battlements!)

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

johnny sack posted:

Agreed, and I've been trying whenever I think of it. It's always either busy, or rings 10-15 times and then hangs up. I have also sent them an email.

If they respond I'll post it here just because I inquired here.

Based on your avatar, was it KMOJ?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

CzarChasm posted:

He does (or did) and I think, he was "Hyperactive". Might also recognize him from 8-bit Theater and other webcomics.
The Atomic Robo thread is semi-regularly active, actually.

Speaking of comics people, Warren Ellis has an account, but someone bought that for him to participate in an A/T that didn't go well. I think someone asked him what it was like "to be named after where a rabbit lives" and that may have been the point where things went south.

I've also frequently heard it said that John Malkovich has one.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I have two monitors and am using Windows 8. The taskbar appears on both screens but the notification area (system tray and clock) is only on the primary display. Is there some way to have that appear on both? Everything else (on the taskbar) is duplicated but that isn't for some reason. :confused:

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 19, 2013

Duckbill
Nov 7, 2008

Nice weather for it.
Grimey Drawer

VagueRant posted:

Is there a name for decorative spikes (spires?) along the edges of old building rooftops like churches?

Not the best example, but:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:The_bombed_out_St_Luke%27s_Church_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1206139.jpg
On the right, separating the rows of square parapets. (Bonus architecture thing: I'm also really confused about the term parapets versus crenels/crenellations versus battlements!)

An article I read on the repairs to our local church referred to them as 'pinnacles'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinnacle

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

VagueRant posted:

(Bonus architecture thing: I'm also really confused about the term parapets versus crenels/crenellations versus battlements!)

A parapet is the general term for when the wall raises above the ceiling, and it doesn't need to be ridged. A safety barrier stopping people from walking off the roof counts as a parapet. Battlements and crenelations are synonyms, the only possible nuance being that battlements implies they'd be useful in a siege.

Foomin
Feb 14, 2005

b0nes posted:

I know all of the pet naming laws, tell me their current name and the name you have in mind and I'll tell you if it's allowed.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Foomin posted:

I know all of the pet naming laws, tell me their current name and the name you have in mind and I'll tell you if it's allowed.
I hear it's a difficult matter and not just one of your holiday games.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Tiggum posted:

I have two monitors and am using Windows 8. The taskbar appears on both screens but the notification area (system tray and clock) is only on the primary display. Is there some way to have that appear on both? Everything else (on the taskbar) is duplicated but that isn't for some reason. :confused:

Not natively, but I have found success with Dual Monitor Taskbar
http://sourceforge.net/projects/dualmonitortb/

At least I think that's what I ended up using. I'm at work, so going from memory.

Edit: I'm using Windows 7, but I would imagine it still works

KnifeWrench fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 20, 2013

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I want to actually read the Bible, what is the most complete version? KJV or NIV? I want something as original as possible.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Neither of them edit anything out as the canon's too important to be messed around with on some translator's whims. King James Version has some howlers in its translation but I think it reads better, though that's just personal preference. You can buy collections of the apocrypha too, which has some fun stuff like the gospel of Nicodemus where Jesus bullies the devil and rescues from hell the good people of the Old Testament. Also good luck in that endeavour because reading the Bible's a pain.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I want to actually read the Bible, what is the most complete version? KJV or NIV? I want something as original as possible.
If you want to read something close to a "complete" version of the Bible try the New Oxford Annotated Bible with Apocrypha.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Learn Aramaic, Greek and Hebrew. Otherwise, best is relative. The New American Standard Bible is probably the most literal you'll find at Barnes and Noble. The NIV is a pretty loose translation. Almost all English translations have an agenda. It's just a matter of figuring out which one you agree with.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Anything with translation footnotes will be leagues better than any Bible written for religious service.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Alright, thanks. Yeah I realize this will probably be a pain, but I want to just to say I did and possibly learn something interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rent-A-Cop posted:

If you want to read something close to a "complete" version of the Bible try the New Oxford Annotated Bible with Apocrypha.

Seconding this. The copy I had of this was the best Bible I had ever looked at.

I wouldn't recommend starting with it, but once you've read the New Oxford I'd recommend checking out the Skeptic's Annotated Bible as well.