Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
The Raiders were so bad in the 2000's from a good mixture of both, but the coaching played a huge role. Oakland ran pretty much ONLY Man coverage due to Al Davis' insistence. If certain plays weren't called "right" he'd call down the field from the Owners box and make the calls himself. So yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

computer parts posted:

Question - for the bad teams, how much of them being bad is more due to things like coaching rather than talent?

And I guess as a follow up - I'm guessing there's not a significant talent disparity, but are there teams which are talented enough to make up for bad coaching?

Coaching is a pretty broad term here, since it encompasses everything from "developing talent" to "creating a game plan to make the best use of personnel" to "clock management" to "making good on-the-field decisions." Some coaches can do one or two of these and not others, some coaches are good at all of them, some coaches are good at none of them.

You also have to consider coaching staffs as well--Monte Kiffen is a terrible defensive coordinator, but Rod Marinelli is a great defensive line coach, for example.

Teams can be talented enough to make up for bad clock management and on-the-field decisions, which is what I think you're referring to, but even a talented team will be terrible if it can't create effective plans to use its personnel.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
For the Cowboys I'd say it's 60/40 coaching/talent. They have a handful of flashy A listers and no depth in the trenches, but would be still be like 7-3 instead of 5-5 if their DC wasn't a dinosaur, their OC's play sheet didn't read like the DSM-5 section on bipolar disorders, and if their HC wasn't such an awful gametime decision-maker.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I think the Cowboys should sign Jason Garrett to a long term extension - he's exactly what they need.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

computer parts posted:

Question - for the bad teams, how much of them being bad is more due to things like coaching rather than talent?

And I guess as a follow up - I'm guessing there's not a significant talent disparity, but are there teams which are talented enough to make up for bad coaching?

I haven't been able to watch as much football as I'd like this season but for the Jags, it really comes down to a severe talent disparity. They have no A-list talent anymore now that MJD's legs have basically fallen off. The coaching might not be all that great either but I can't see Bradley and crew getting fired when he was forced to contend with Gabbert vs Henne for starting quarterback and a dire wasteland on defense, and there's no GM regime change looming on the horizon (like there was with Mularkey).

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Because Kolb, Kafka, Hall, and Feeley turned out so great under Reid's tutelage?

This is kind of disingenuous because none of those guys are even close to the level of prospect Manziel is, and I say that as somebody who's not convinced about his ability to succeed at the NFL level at all.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Grozz Nuy posted:

This is kind of disingenuous because none of those guys are even close to the level of prospect Manziel is, and I say that as somebody who's not convinced about his ability to succeed at the NFL level at all.

I'll give you Hall, Feeley and Kafka, but Kolb was a second round talent.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Kolb was literally concussed in his first game as a week 1 Eagles starter so we'll never really know what he could have been. His career is basically defined by his body exploding every year.

I dont really know what the point of bringing Kolb up is, though, because he, like Feeley, was traded for a 2nd round pick before really providing much of a sample size in Philadelphia.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Blitz7x posted:

The Raiders were so bad in the 2000's from a good mixture of both, but the coaching played a huge role. Oakland ran pretty much ONLY Man coverage due to Al Davis' insistence. If certain plays weren't called "right" he'd call down the field from the Owners box and make the calls himself. So yeah

I miss al

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

No Butt Stuff posted:

I can't tell if I want this to happen or not...

YES man, you do

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Rap posted:

I miss al

Me too

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

computer parts posted:

The genuinely awful teams usually have both bad coaching and talent. I think your second question depends on what success level you're looking for. I think a very talented team can perform well and win a fair amount of games with bad coaching, but generally there's going to be a cap, and you're going to have episodes of exposure.

I think the line is distinction is pretty hard to make accurately, to the point where it is well beyond the average fan.

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
Manziel to the Browns. Let Norv work that magic.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
With Manziel's perceived bust potential it would seem like tempting fate for the Browns to draft him.

Besides, Michael Lombardi loves Hoyer.

Somebody needs to talk me down on Mike Evans because I've been watching too much tape and the guy is beginning to look like Calvin Johnson to me.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Somebody needs to talk me down on Mike Evans because I've been watching too much tape and the guy is beginning to look like Calvin Johnson to me.

I suspect he's a little slow by NFL standards, dude definitely knows how to go up and get the ball in coverage though based on that Alabama game.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I was thinking more Vincent Jackson.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
That's probably a more honest comparison but Jackson is almost certainly faster. Its just that Evans has great jump ball ability and a decent talent for getting open despite the lack of top tier speed.

How the hell did people know Johnson was going to be great when he played for Georgia Tech?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

The Puppy Bowl posted:

With Manziel's perceived bust potential it would seem like tempting fate for the Browns to draft him.

Besides, Michael Lombardi loves Hoyer.

I really want Evans on the Browns. He's apparently got great ball control skills and hands that he can fight for the ball and win.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

The Puppy Bowl posted:

That's probably a more honest comparison but Jackson is almost certainly faster. Its just that Evans has great jump ball ability and a decent talent for getting open despite the lack of top tier speed.

How the hell did people know Johnson was going to be great when he played for Georgia Tech?

When Calvin Johnson went to Georgia Tech, they weren't running the triple option. He also won the Biletnikoff award and the Paul Warfield trophy and was a two-time All-American and he ran a 4.3 40 at 6'5 and 230 lbs. and had great hands and ran great routes. Maybe the surest of sure things as you can get, save for the fact that the Lions were drafting him.

E: Oh and he put up monster stats with a man named Reggie Ball throwing to him. This cannot be overstated.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Declan MacManus posted:

When Calvin Johnson went to Georgia Tech, they weren't running the triple option. He also won the Biletnikoff award and the Paul Warfield trophy and was a two-time All-American and he ran a 4.3 40 at 6'5 and 230 lbs. and had great hands and ran great routes. Maybe the surest of sure things as you can get, save for the fact that the Lions were drafting him.

Also he had Reggie Ball throwing to him and still managed to look good, so that's definitely a sure thing.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Mike Evans reminds me more of Larry Fitz. Either way he seems loving insanely talented and I would love to have him on the Bucs if we somehow end up with two firsts.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
The one thing you don't need in Tampa Bay is WRs.

Calvin Johnson is amazing but I think Larry Fitzgerald might have the best body control I've ever seen. Never has there been a tragedy like Fitzgerald on the 2012 Cardinals.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Noah posted:

Manziel to the Browns. Let Norv work that magic.

Norv and Chud would be the best fit for him.

Exhibit a is what Chud did with Derek Anderson, talk about polishing a turd and exhibit b is Cam Newton a dude who'd started one year in college in a run and fun offense that didn't exactly resemble a pro-style system. Manziel would get killed if he ran around like Newton and Anderson did but he at least has that smiliar style albeit lacking quite the arm and movement (of the latter anyway).

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Puppy Bowl posted:

You'd have to have watched him in college. He towered over every other player on the field and always had monster separation. He just clowned division 1 football. CLOWNED IT.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I figure it looked sort of liked how he's clowned NFL Football.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life

The Puppy Bowl posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXRqyjzyBRg

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I figure it looked sort of liked how he's clowned NFL Football.
Just imagine the corners were on average 2-3 inches smaller and .5 seconds slower on the 40 than their NFL counterparts

I mean this is the ACC we're talking about

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
I unironically think the Cowboys would be a good fit for Johnny Manziel

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Quest For Glory II posted:

Just imagine the corners were on average 2-3 inches smaller and .5 seconds slower on the 40 than their NFL counterparts

I mean this is the ACC we're talking about

1200 yards, 80 catches, and 15 TDs in college which translates to LOTS yards, TONS catches, SHITLOAD TDs in one of his seasons

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

I unironically think the Cowboys would be a good fit for Johnny Manziel

I think in a system that features a lot of roll outs, naked bootlegs and PA (Kind of like what Kubiak runs with the Texans) would be the most ideal system for Manziel. Maybe a few designed runs here and there, but no NFL offensive gameplan should revolve around Manziel picking up a lot of yardage rushing.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

Declan MacManus posted:

1200 yards, 80 catches, and 15 TDs in college which translates to LOTS yards, TONS catches, SHITLOAD TDs in one of his seasons

Was Calvin a realistic candidate for heisman at GT? Seems like he could have been with a better QB

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Wario Kart 64 posted:

Was Calvin a realistic candidate for heisman at GT? Seems like he could have been with a better QB
He finished 10th, behind Dwayne Jarrett :pwn:

quote:

1 Troy Smith
2 Darren McFadden
3 Brady Quinn
4 Steve Slaton
5 Michael Hart
6 Colt Brennan
7 Ray Rice
8 Ian Johnson
9 Dwayne Jarrett
10 Calvin Johnson

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.

Wario Kart 64 posted:

No because of Reggie Ball and Chan Gailey, but everyone knew that he was amazing, especially going into his final season at GT. Andre 3000 giving sideline interviews during home games talking about how much he owned, which should be good enough for everyone

Tech's offense underachieved that year (this all predated the Paul Johnson triple option)

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Colt Brennan mention, take 5 shots.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Quest For Glory II posted:

He finished 10th, behind Dwayne Jarrett :pwn:
Tell me more of this time when dudes other than quarterbacks actually factored in the Heisman voting.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mark Ingram.

I would hope the voters have learned their lesson since then.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Was Ingram indisputably good that year? I didn't really start watching college football until late 2010, and even then didn't really get into it until 2011. By that point, he had been drafted by the Saints and my roommate despised him.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Ingram wasn't even the best RB on the Crimson Tide.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Ingram was far from the best player in college, but got the Heisman largely on narrative and Wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Declan MacManus posted:

E: Oh and he put up monster stats with a man named Reggie Ball throwing to him. This cannot be overstated.

He's also pretty smart and graduated with a 3.5 gpa. He spent the summer before his senior year building solar-powered latrines in Bolivia to improve sanitation. There was literally nothing about Johnson not to like.

E: Not to make it seem like I'm all about character issues or anything, just pointing out how sure a bet Johnson was.

• Locked thread