Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Working as a server, I've seen some incredible names on credit cards. Standouts for me are the unassuming old white man named Manuel P. Calamari, the cop (in full uniform, with gun) named Harry Trotter, and most recently, a man named Rodney Cox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automatonic Water
Jul 8, 2012

dig thru the ditches
and burn thru the witches
and slam in the back of my.........
.........DRAGULA

Yams Fan
Found in lovely movie credits: Dick Pitstick
One of the staff on campus: Talor Mourning. Sounds like an awful fantasy novel protagonist.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Brother Jonathan posted:

While "schmuck" is an insult in Yiddish, it is also a family name in Germany, and one of them moved to New York City: The Atlantic: Sister Schmuck Takes a Stand.

Schmuck is also just a regular German word. Its meaning is "jewelry" or "decoration."

Avshalom posted:

I'd like to see a Swiss version of 'One Hundred Years of Solitude' now. Oral, Oral Johnny, Colonel Oral, Oral the Second, the seventeen doomed Orals, it would delight highschool literature students everywhere

I would get a chuckle out of it myself (well, assuming I could read German well enough, and specifically a Swiss dialect of it, to understand).

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ibntumart posted:

Schmuck is also just a regular German word. Its meaning is "jewelry" or "decoration."

I would get a chuckle out of it myself (well, assuming I could read German well enough, and specifically a Swiss dialect of it, to understand).

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Bosslee. Insisted everyone call him boss.

Theodoric Wong

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Met a Richard "Dick" Payne before.

McPhail is a pretty common surname in my area too.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

One of my grand-grandmothers was named Anna Lizer.

attackbunny
May 1, 2009
I overheard a guy signing his twins up at the library. Surname, Bear. First names, Lily-Kiss and Baby. Baby Bear. These kids were like six, shouldn't remorse have kicked in by then?

SnafuAl
Oct 20, 2010

VR! VR! VR!
BLOODY VR!

Came across a couple odd ones at work today:
Mr. Penelope Haig.

And one which doesn't belong here, but I don't see an Amazing Names thread:
Barbados D. Dicks.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tell me if I start repeating myself, but I still have quite a few stupid names to post.

WhyAmINaked
Nov 24, 2013
When I was in college in Bellingham, Escamillo Thunderbunny was a bit of a local phone book legend.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

I shipped a package to a woman named Candy Graves today

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
meet Dr. Happy Thanksgiving Reynolds.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Could you imagine if you met some one named Scroden?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I think this one has showed up in the thread before, but last night my cashier at the hardware store had to call over her manager for an override...the manager's name tag said Jerrica.

I know it's not vanishingly rare, but it still seems like a typo of Jessica to me.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.

RazorBunny posted:

I think this one has showed up in the thread before, but last night my cashier at the hardware store had to call over her manager for an override...the manager's name tag said Jerrica.

I know it's not vanishingly rare, but it still seems like a typo of Jessica to me.

Maybe her parents were really into Jem and the Holograms? :rimshot:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

GabrielAisling posted:

Maybe her parents were really into Jem and the Holograms? :rimshot:

She seemed about the right age for that to be the case...

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

You ever hear of this one "Shebby"

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Wayne Gretzky posted:

Written like that, or a poorly-pronounced Shelby?

I just found out the other week my neighbour's name is Nolanda, "like Yolanda with an N" was how she described it to me. I guess it's the feminine of Nolan but I've never heard it before.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wayne Gretzky posted:

My shebby got some fat tars on the back

got fawv hunnert horspowr, fassest shebby yever saw

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Grrl Anachronism posted:

Written like that, or a poorly-pronounced Shelby?

I just found out the other week my neighbour's name is Nolanda, "like Yolanda with an N" was how she described it to me. I guess it's the feminine of Nolan but I've never heard it before.

This sounds like one of those Terry Pratchett names like Nigella that means "oops, we wanted a boy".

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I think the entire reason "Nimrod" became a synonym for "idiot" is because Bugs Bunny used it to mock Elmer Fudd. Nimrod was described in the bible as a "mighty hunter" but most people just heard it as a dopey sounding name.

content: My Dad knew a guy in the Navy with the last name of Rickets who went by Scurvy.

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 23:18 on Nov 28, 2013

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The Moon Monster posted:

I think the entire reason "Nimrod" became a synonym for "idiot" is because Bugs Bunny used it to mock Elmer Fudd. Nimrod was described in the bible as a "mighty hunter" but most people just heard it as a dopey sounding name.
Former pro bodybuilder Nimrod King, apparently he took up weight training because people made fun of his name.

I guess they stopped making fun of him.

Inspector Zenigata
Jul 19, 2010

---

Inspector Zenigata has a new favorite as of 23:02 on Apr 2, 2014

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Inspector Zenigata posted:

I'd still make fun of him; he looks like a grotesque parody of a human being. I wouldn't say anything to his face though, for fear of being smashed into a million pieces.
Don't worry, with thighs that huge, he wouldn't be able to run after you very fast without risking friction burns.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Stop making fun of the poor, huge man!

All on Black
Dec 14, 2007

She's not "that Mexican", Mom, she's MY Mexican. And she's...Colombian or something.

The Moon Monster posted:

My Dad knew a guy in the Navy with the last name of Rickets who went by Scurvy.

I'm sorry, you seem to have put this in the wrong thread because Scurvy Rickets is the absolute greatest sailor name ever. Dude sounds like an awesome pirate.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Don't worry, with thighs that huge, he wouldn't be able to run after you very fast without risking friction burns.

It's fine, he's so bowlegged there's clearance.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Benya Krik
Apr 11, 2007

"With the help of God we shall punish all grocers!"
One of my grandmother's close friends always went by Talia (plus a host of other Russian diminutives), but at her funeral I found out that her first name was :ussr:Stalina:ussr:.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

So the 400 pounder from the hoarder house next door is due in a month and I just found out their name choice: Zaydyn (grampa1) (grampa2) Xavier. There truly is an -aden for every letter of the alphabet.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Served food to an Elyssa today. I couldn't figure out exactly how to pronounce it so I went with 'Allissa' and that worked. Firefox does not count Elyssa as a misspelling and that's a little bit troubling to me.

edit: After doing some searching, apparently Elyssa is a real name. What a dumb, annoying way to spell a totally different name that's pronounced the same way!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Elissa is an alternate name for Dido. Carthage Dido, not the singer. So the name is over 2100 years old.

Edit: 2400 years or so, according to Wikipedia.

It probably predates the spellings using A.

Aphrodite has a new favorite as of 23:23 on Nov 30, 2013

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Then perhaps Allissa is the dumb misspelling after all.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
As poetry would have it, he probably has a dong the size of your forearm.

Say Nothing posted:

Then what the hell does this guy have?

Parents who need to learn to spell Lucius

Fur20 has a new favorite as of 09:25 on Dec 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The White Dragon posted:

As poetry would have it, he probably has a dong the size of your forearm.
Then what the hell does this guy have?