Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Streptovsky posted:

Try clearing out your cached processes. What kind of phone do you have? Most of them will let you by holding down the home key, then just clear that out.
Tried holding home on my N5. Did nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
The Something Awful Forums > Inspect Your Gadgets > Android Phones - Incorrect managerial tech support ITT

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ilkhan posted:

Tried holding home on my N5. Did nothing.
Call Google and tell them about this non-standard behaviour immediately.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

sleepwalkers posted:

Right, hence why it's been mentioned that the task switcher key has been the normal way to do it since 2011. And that Samsung is clinging to an outdated method.

Also having the back key on the right, when it points to the left. If I was a Samsung engineer, I'd just code the back button to be a symlink to the home button function. Since visually its already doing just that.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
My moto razr running Jelly bean currently has long press of the home key for task switching. I can't remember if that was always a thing or ICS/ jb

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Roundboy posted:

My moto razr running Jelly bean currently has long press of the home key for task switching. I can't remember if that was always a thing or ICS/ jb

That's because that phone launched with Gingerbread.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I just put the Moto X up on SA-Mart if anyone is interested.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3586934

Turn around this time was four days.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
:stare:

New record I assume?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How do you get Google Now to play music? I tried "Play [song]", "Play [artist], [song]", and even "Play music", but they all resulted in Google searches.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

A new OTA is rolling out for all nexus devices. 3mb patch, most of the binaries have been updated.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

FistEnergy posted:

:stare:

New record I assume?

Well, I got an S4 that I never wanted to use, I just immediately sold it, so for a phone I've actually unboxed, yes, but otherwise no.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

hooah posted:

How do you get Google Now to play music? I tried "Play [song]", "Play [artist], [song]", and even "Play music", but they all resulted in Google searches.

Try "listen to", and make sure your language is set to English (US) even if you're not in the USA.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

CLAM DOWN posted:

Try "listen to", and make sure your language is set to English (US) even if you're not in the USA.

Ok, "listen to Boston" works, but neither "listen to Foreplay by Boston" nor "listen to Foreplay" (they both result in a Google search). Can I only put an artist at the end of that query? If not, what other parameters does that search take?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

A new OTA is rolling out for all nexus devices. 3mb patch, most of the binaries have been updated.

Was wondering what the update to my Nexus 7 2013 was. Thanks!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Upgraded my Nexus 4 to Kit Kat. Outside of the dialer and the different Settings icon, what else has changed?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ThermoPhysical posted:

Was wondering what the update to my Nexus 7 2013 was. Thanks!

ART must have been updated as one of the things because my Nexus 7 2013 was 3mb, but the Nexus 10 and Nexus 7 2012 was only 1.44mb.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Phone posted:

Upgraded my Nexus 4 to Kit Kat. Outside of the dialer and the different Settings icon, what else has changed?

Font has changed, theres a unified way to print and look at files, through a bit of hackery you can install the new nexus 5 launcher and a few other things.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Speaking of which, is there a voice command for (un)pause?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

blakout posted:

Font has changed, theres a unified way to print and look at files, through a bit of hackery you can install the new nexus 5 launcher and a few other things.

Pretty sure there's no hackery necessary for the launcher, I just downloaded an apk from one of the Android blogs and it worked. I think the hacky stuff was necessary for Nexus 4 when it was still on 4.3.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Phone posted:

Icons are now white without connectivity or traffic indicators (both are located in the Quick Settings Panel), the Settings now includes a launcher selector, tap to pay, and printer options, location access now has a historical view to see what apps have been requesting location, the playback lockscreen widget has been replaced to be full screen and use high resolution artwork, lockscreen widgets are now disabled by default, new APIs exist for transparent navigation and status bars (for developer use), legacy fullscreen apps which hid the notification bar now can have the bar temporarily visible with a swipe down from the top (another brings down the notification shade), SELinux now defaults to Enforcing rather than Permissive, and the old WebView has been replaced with the Chromium engine (I don't know if it's Blink in the version included or not).

That's just off the top of my head, I might be missing some.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Combat Pretzel posted:

The world's bigger than just the USA. (Can't wait for the kneejerk response to that.)

Over here in Europe this isn't so much the case. If there's Wifi, a lot of times it's just a hotspot from a communications company that wants you to pay for a session. On top of that, the place where I'd need Wifi the most is my workplace, which has coincidentally locked it down for obvious reasons.

No kneejerk response on that one. Us "mericans" apparently have better wifi than most. Fuckin sucks man, and I totally feel for you.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

MycroftXXX posted:

I've been having some issues with battery life and taking forever for my nexus 4 to charge. I took a screen shot of the battery settings menu, does this look normal for google play services?

Just wanted to chime in and say I'm having the same issue on my Droid Maxx. Some random forum posts I read suggested clearing the data and cache on the play services application. Trying that out to see if it works.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

There's a notification that will pop up that says "Sign into Wifi" or something and tapping it opens the portal page.

The problem with this is that if your phone is in your pocket when you go in to a store that has a captive portal (and your phone remembers the connection and auto connects) you lose data until you click through the portal. That means no Google voice so or Google voice voicemail or hangouts or email push etc. It can be a pain in the rear end.

I wish Android will still use cell data when it detects a captive portal like that.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
Got the Tmo 4.3 ROM on my GS3 (T999) today, and they reorganized the settings menu like MIUI. Some of you guys may hate touchwiz, but this is a great idea. The settings menu seriously needs categories.

The picture looks like poo poo because I took it with my Nexus 5.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Civil posted:

Got the Tmo 4.3 ROM on my GS3 (T999) today, and they reorganized the settings menu like MIUI. Some of you guys may hate touchwiz, but this is a great idea. The settings menu seriously needs categories.

The picture looks like poo poo because I took it with my Nexus 5.

What's wrong with the categories the Settings menu has now? It's not like stock Android has a bunch of half-broken features that need to be micromanaged and disabled and the categories that it does have are sensible and well labelled.

I look at that picture and it looks pretty horrible at a glance. There's a whole category for an LED? Why? What the gently caress is a Home Screen Mode? Why would it need its own settings category? Are Blocking Mode and Hands-free Mode toggles where you can press the name and go to the settings page? Why? How are those things as important as the Sound menu?

That picture is exactly why you pay Matias Duarte because if you don't you end up with a UX abortion like that. How anyone in charge could see that say, "Ship it," is mind boggling.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I just put the Moto X up on SA-Mart if anyone is interested.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3586934

Turn around this time was four days.

Oh poo poo. Grab the popcorn ya'll.

Edit: no popcorn. Chickened out.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 20, 2013

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

ART must have been updated as one of the things because my Nexus 7 2013 was 3mb, but the Nexus 10 and Nexus 7 2012 was only 1.44mb.

Wonder if the N4 will get the ota if you just did it via factory images...

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Wonder if the N4 will get the ota if you just did it via factory images...

Depends on when you grabbed the image. The images were pushed to AOSP and the images a few hours ago.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Depends on when you grabbed the image. The images were pushed to AOSP and the images a few hours ago.

Really? It couldn't have been at 5? loving cocks.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Phone posted:

Really? It couldn't have been at 5? loving cocks.
I'm guessing you know this but assuming there's no change to the bootloader or radio, you can just grab the files and flash the zip file right over top of the one you have. No reason to wipe or anything.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

LastInLine posted:

What's wrong with the categories the Settings menu has now? It's not like stock Android has a bunch of half-broken features that need to be micromanaged and disabled and the categories that it does have are sensible and well labelled.

I look at that picture and it looks pretty horrible at a glance. There's a whole category for an LED? Why? What the gently caress is a Home Screen Mode? Why would it need its own settings category? Are Blocking Mode and Hands-free Mode toggles where you can press the name and go to the settings page? Why? How are those things as important as the Sound menu?

That picture is exactly why you pay Matias Duarte because if you don't you end up with a UX abortion like that. How anyone in charge could see that say, "Ship it," is mind boggling.

Two things.

One, uh, the categories are at the top.

Two, hey, you know, if Samsung is the top seller of Android devices, then maybe TouchWiz isn't the Antichrist. I mean, go ahead and sperg out and hate it, but it isn't objectively terrible.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Tha Chodesweller posted:

Two things.

Two, hey, you know, if Samsung is the top seller of Android devices, then maybe TouchWiz isn't the Antichrist. I mean, go ahead and sperg out and hate it, but it isn't objectively terrible.
Touchwiz *IS* objectively terrible. But Samsung has a super ginormouse advertising budget and enough models and market pull to saturate the market.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

bull3964 posted:

Easy to check, does Whatsapp work now?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

ilkhan posted:

Touchwiz *IS* objectively terrible. But Samsung has a super ginormouse advertising budget and enough models and market pull to saturate the market.

It's hideous but there's nothing wrong with it other than aesthetics.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

big mean giraffe posted:

It's hideous but there's nothing wrong with it other than aesthetics.

It's certainly made improvements over its early days. I wonder if people are just sour about the past.

I hate their keyboard design, widgets and font choices. That's about it. Two of those three are replaceable with the Google keyboard and other widget apps.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Combat Pretzel posted:

Easy to check, does Whatsapp work now?

Dunno, never downloaded or used it before.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Tha Chodesweller posted:

Two things.

1.) it's way too many categories and subcategories IMO and stock android organizes settings more logically/coherently

2.) That'd be a fair point if HTC/Moto/Sony/etc. had the same marketing budget as Samsung, had the huge trial with Apple just like Samsung, and released the exact same devices as the Galaxy S/Note every year, the only difference being the software.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Are all Moto X models pentaband? As in do the AT&T/T-Mobile/Dev Edition run the same bands (assuming carrier bands are unlocked). Does the Dev Edition contain more bands than say, the AT&T or T-Mobile version or they all the same hardware?

I can't seem to locate this info online.

Edit: This sheds some light and suggests the Dev Edition is the only one with every GSM band. I wish every phone just contained every band, no?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moto_X

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Nov 20, 2013

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tha Chodesweller posted:

Two things.

I'm not talking aesthetics here, I'm talking simple usability. We have three categories and the category you only create when you've hosed making categories, "More". If you have a More, you've failed at categorizing. This isn't a "TouchWiz is bad" thing, this is a "That's what categories do" thing.

So already you're starting off having hosed things up but let's move on.

We've got our time tested Eclair-era DroidSans and menu design. And then just arbitrary decisions about how this will be used. Connection, which I can only assume is the radio management portion, My Device which means nothing (don't all of these settings deal with the device? Isn't that what we're adjusting the settings on?), and Accounts. So one's meaningless and the other two could have been subsections in another section.

Accounts in fact always used to be a single line item in the menu until 4.2 (which of course is six Android versions of newer design guidelines from the last time this was made). Why they need to be their own tab is a question I'm sure no one could actually answer. Why are the radios not part of My Device? Does the average consumer think Bluetooth isn't a facet of their device?

These are arbitrary and bad UX decisions but of course not as bad as More. I can only imagine More contains, by process of elimination, things that:
  • Don't deal with a connection
  • Don't have anything to do with the device
  • Don't deal with my accounts
So if My Device was meaningless words, More is another somehow even more meaningless word. I'm not being facetious when I say I can't imagine a thing that could be in a phone's settings app but isn't something having to do with the phone, the accounts the phone signs into, or anything the phone connects to.

No one who's ever thought about a user interface at all could think this is any good. Anyone who claims that it is is objectively wrong and only thinks that way because of Stockholm Syndrome. I used Android in the era in which this was designed and I defended it as "not that bad" but the truth is that it all used to be this bad but it's not now. This is just poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

LastInLine posted:

I'm not talking aesthetics here, I'm talking simple usability. We have three categories and the category you only create when you've hosed making categories, "More". If you have a More, you've failed at categorizing. This isn't a "TouchWiz is bad" thing, this is a "That's what categories do" thing.

I find Touchwiz as annoying as the next person, but AOSP is guilty of "More" too.

Just look under Wireless & Networks in settings.

• Locked thread