Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp
How good is the folders/collection system on the Kobo Aura HD? I have a Paperwhite, but I have a lot of epub books and it would be nice to have an e-reader that could hold them all without being converted. Subfolders would be a must.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurelius
Jun 19, 2002

Donraj posted:

How good is the folders/collection system on the Kobo Aura HD? I have a Paperwhite, but I have a lot of epub books and it would be nice to have an e-reader that could hold them all without being converted. Subfolders would be a must.

I'm curious about this, too. I've seen such great comments about the Aura HD here and elsewhere that I was considering buying one. I downloaded the Kobo Android app, though, and really haven't been impressed. Not that it's a bad app, it just doesn't seem to do as much as the Aura HD.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Wish I could speak to folders/shelves/collections, but I can't :(

But, the latest firmware brings Pocket integration to the Kobo Aura HD! All of the other Kobos, too. So now when you touch "Library", you get Books / Collections / Articles from Pocket. Then it gives you a grid view of everything in your account, and it all stays synced.

I have to say - it's exactly what I was hoping and looking for. And it's easy-peasy to update via my phone if I turn it into a wifi hotspot, so it's no trouble to update it on the go. I will try to play with the Collections at some point and report back.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp
So, I like to keep my Paperwhite at maximum brightness. I upgraded to the new improved Paperwhite a little while ago, and every time I turn it on I have to go to the brightness menu and press "Max" to put it at full brightness. Is this normal? It's a little thing, but it irks me.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Somebody just won the auction for my used Aura HD on eBay for over MSRP. Are these really hard to find or something? It looks like I can just order one right from Kobo if I want. :confused:

Not complaining of course!

Aurelius
Jun 19, 2002

sirbeefalot posted:

Somebody just won the auction for my used Aura HD on eBay for over MSRP. Are these really hard to find or something? It looks like I can just order one right from Kobo if I want. :confused:

I just ordered one from Kobo and the order page said it would ship within 7-10 days. If you're shipping faster than that, perhaps he was just in a hurry.

Amara
Jun 4, 2009
I'm currently looking to get an ereader. I wanted one with a light and was going to get an Amazon Paperwhite by default but you guys have mentioned the Kobo Aura / Aura HD, which I'm now curious about.

I'm not really attached to the Amazon ecosystem, I just care about how nice the text looks on my reader and how smoothly the device functions. I also don't see a way to test out the two side by side in the US. Has anyone used the new Paperwhite and Aura (and/or Aura HD) and could comment on looks and usability?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
People on Ebay will often bid more than it would cost to buy something new. They get focussed on winning the auction and lose track of common sense.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

sirbeefalot posted:

Just be aware of the various eBay scams, like "oops, I sent you a payment for too much money by mistake, could you ship me the item and send me a payment for the difference?" where their initial payment proves to be fraudulent and gets pulled back/not honored.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

hope and vaseline posted:

Remember how awkward these things were?

I have a grey original Kobo sitting in my bedroom that I got on fire sale (bad idea, never used it) and I have no idea what to do with it.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

fordan posted:

Just be aware of the various eBay scams, like "oops, I sent you a payment for too much money by mistake, could you ship me the item and send me a payment for the difference?" where their initial payment proves to be fraudulent and gets pulled back/not honored.

Well, he ended up not paying at all (a "sudden expense" came up :rolleyes: ), so not the worst that could happen I guess!

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

People on Ebay will often bid more than it would cost to buy something new. They get focussed on winning the auction and lose track of common sense.

EBay bucks usually.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Aurelius posted:

I just ordered one from Kobo and the order page said it would ship within 7-10 days. If you're shipping faster than that, perhaps he was just in a hurry.

You keep us posted if they actually managed to de-gently caress their online ordering system. I'd be very surprised if it has improved any in the last five months.

Aurelius
Jun 19, 2002

MC Hawking posted:

You keep us posted if they actually managed to de-gently caress their online ordering system. I'd be very surprised if it has improved any in the last five months.

I'm not impressed so far - I ordered Saturday morning, got a confirmation that they'd received my order, and haven't heard poo poo from them since. We'll see how things go.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
So are all those new Goodreads integration features only for the "new" paperwhite or are they available to the old one too? I use the hell out of Goodreads and tight kindle integration would be awesome.

EDIT: nevermind, its for the new one only. Goddammit.

Matt Zerella fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 19, 2013

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

LmaoTheKid posted:

So are all those new Goodreads integration features only for the "new" paperwhite or are they available to the old one too? I use the hell out of Goodreads and tight kindle integration would be awesome.

Only new paperwhite, Amazon's support of "older" devices varies wildly. They kept rolling poo poo out to the Kindle Keyboard long after they stopped selling it, but other devices never get anything.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Maneki Neko posted:

Only new paperwhite, Amazon's support of "older" devices varies wildly. They kept rolling poo poo out to the Kindle Keyboard long after they stopped selling it, but other devices never get anything.

Yeah, guess I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope they backport it.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
They've been pretty aggressive about bringing features back to the first-gen Paperwhite. I figure it's just a matter of time before Goodreads shows up. Who knows, I might actually use the service!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Nihiliste posted:

They've been pretty aggressive about bringing features back to the first-gen Paperwhite. I figure it's just a matter of time before Goodreads shows up. Who knows, I might actually use the service!

Anything would help if it means I can uninstall the horrid app.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Amazon is trying to get Australians to switch to amazon.com.au but apparently if you do this you lose access to the ebooks you purchased from amazon.com. Here's log of (part of) the conversation I had with one of their support people:

quote:

Me: Lately amazon.com keeps telling me I can switch to amazon.com.au for ebook purchases. Is there any benefit to doing that other than seeing prices in AUD? It seems like a hassle to be using the .com.au site for some things and the .com site for others, especially when AUD and USD are so close in value anyway.
Regie(CSA): The reason why the system keeps telling you to transfer your account to Amazon.au it is because you're country settings is from Australia, correct?
Me: I am in Australia, that is correct.
Regie(CSA): That's is the reason, Mathew.
However, you can ignore the email about the migrating, Mathew.
Me: It's not an email, it;s a message that keeps appearing at the top of the page when I view items at amazon.com
And my question is, is there any benefit to switching, other than seeing prices in AUD, or is that the only thing that would change?
Regie(CSA): No, Mathew.
Regie(CSA): If you switch to Amazon.au, all your books that was purchased from Amazon.com will not be available to view or read unless you switch back to Amazon.com.

Me: Why would anyone want to switch their account if it will remove access to the books they already purchased? This is insane.
Regie(CSA): I do apologize, Mathew.
We don't have the information/

Me: OK, so is there some way I can make sure my account doesn't ever get switched to the au site? Because I don't want to lose access to my books.
Regie(CSA): No need to worry, as long as you will not accept the migration.
Me: So there is no way for me to just say "no, I don't want to switch" and have that be the end of it? It's just going to keep asking me forever?
Regie(CSA): Yes, Mathew.

So, uh, don't switch your account if it asks you to.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yes, Matthew. I've been dealing with the same nagging offering to switch me to amazon.ca, Matthew. I'm not really sure why anyone would think this was a good idea, Matthew. I guess there's a bigger selection of Canadian writers on .ca or something? Can't say that really interests me, Matthew.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
Most books I've cross checked have been cheaper on .ca and I've only come across one book that I wanted that was on .com but not .ca. I don't regret switching over.

Mathew.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Amazon is trying to get Australians to switch to amazon.com.au but apparently if you do this you lose access to the ebooks you purchased from amazon.com. Here's log of (part of) the conversation I had with one of their support people:

So, uh, don't switch your account if it asks you to.

So there's no way to get your books back if you switch? That's really dodgy.

I live in New Zealand, so odds are they may start doing the same thing to us. :ohdear:

This is very relevant:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qnd-hdmgfk

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ChetReckless posted:

Most books I've cross checked have been cheaper on .ca and I've only come across one book that I wanted that was on .com but not .ca. I don't regret switching over.

It's all the books I've already bought that concerns me. Unless they're going to refund me, I'd like to keep my books.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Tiggum posted:

It's all the books I've already bought that concerns me. Unless they're going to refund me, I'd like to keep my books.

Yeah, that's bullshit. Fortunately going from .com to .ca everything just transferred over. I wouldn't have switched if it meant I lost all my books, for sure.

dihaploidy
Oct 31, 2010

Buglord

Tiggum posted:

I've been getting this same notification and if you click on the 'learn more' link Amazon specifically mention this:

Amazon posted:

• You will continue to have access to all of your past eBook and app purchases.

Although it does also state that magazine/newspaper subscriptions will be cancelled and that you wont be able to access audiobooks from Kindle Fires.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I've switched my country to UK, bought ebooks from amazon.co.uk, then switched back to US without losing access to anything.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

What do they mean by "lose access" anyways?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They probably mean a hypothetical error message saying something like "Sorry, this ebook is licensed for reading in the UK only" before it dumps you back to the library screen. Amazon doesn't actually do this, though publishers would probably like them to.

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"
I too, liked what I've been reading about the Kobo Aura HD

How's embedded font rendering? I love me embedded fonts

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I'm surprised that Amazon let this info out.

quote:

Amazon is now preparing a new Kindle Paperwhite for release in early Q2 of next year, TechCrunch has learned. The marquee feature of the new device is a high-resolution 300 ppi screen that will bring the company’s e-reader displays back into technical parity with devices from competitors like Kobo.

In addition to a higher resolution screen, the new Paperwhite will be getting a few more hardware improvements. We’ve seen a prototype of the device which has a front screen that is flush with the edges of the device, rather than recessed, and is made out of very matte glass of some sort, not plastic. Despite moving to glass, the new units are said to be lighter than this year’s models.

The current Amazon Kindle Paperwhite features a 212 ppi screen that compares poorly to the Kobo Aura HD. E Ink, the company which manufactures the Pearl E Ink screens for both Amazon and Kobo devices, delivered a high resolution 265 ppi screen to Kobo first. Amazon, we hear, was a bit irritated when Kobo shipped the Aura HD earlier this year with a much higher resolution screen than its upcoming Paperwhite would feature.

The new 300 ppi Paperwhite, code-named Ice Wine, will leapfrog Kobo’s limited edition device and place a high-resolution screen on Amazon’s marquee e-reader. We hear that there are no major software improvements planned for this edition, but that it will be upscaled to take advantage of the new resolution.

However, those of you who are heavy Kindle users will be very pleased to know that Amazon is working on new typography for the device with a custom-built font that’s great for reading. Typography has long been one of the Kindle’s big failing points. Though several fonts were added in its last release, they were not received overly well for the most part. A new custom font specially designed for reading on the device will be a major improvement. We also hear Amazon is working on allowing books to be presented with hyphenation, eliminating the awkward right hand margins, but it’s not clear if that will be in the new software or not.

The edges of the device will also now be ‘buttons’ of a sort. According to what we’ve heard, instead of old-fashioned ’split’ buttons found on previous Kindles, these will be ’squeezable’ buttons that give off haptic feedback when activated. Theoretically, this should allow you to change pages without having to awkwardly reach over with your thumb to tap the ‘next page’ zone on the Paperwhite’s screen. And making the buttons squeezable keeps the sleek lines of the Paperwhite’s margins.

The rear casing of the new Paperwhite will follow on with the industrial design of the current Kindle Fire HDX tablets, with a more angular shape and chamfer to the edges. Similar in look to the images of the HDX above. It will also feature a rear power button that looks similar to the new Kindle Fire tablets.

Rounding out the features of the next Kindle Paperwhite is an ambient light sensor that will take readings of the light in the room and adjust the screen brightness to compensate. On the prototype that we saw the light sensor was faintly visible behind the black bezel in the upper corner of the unit. The system gradually adjusts light in timing with the way an average person’s retina expands or contracts in order to prevent jarring transitions.

We’re still several months away from when this new Kindle would debut, so there may be alterations to its design or functionality between now and then, but these are the items currently on the agenda. Amazon is also currently working on a couple of smartphone offerings we’ve detailed previously. Both a budget model and a crazy-sounding high-end device with six cameras in total are being developed.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/24/am...28TechCrunch%29

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

As someone who lauds his Gen1 PW's ability to read full size PDFs, I would jump ship to a 300ppi PW in a heartbeat.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Checking again - does anyone have any reports on how well the Kobo readers do with collections? That's my #1 priority with an ereader, over even a frontlit screen. I might consider buying a Kindle Keyboard just so I can use a good collections browser.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Yeah, I'll be buying that new paperwhite for sure if it's real.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Is that an actual picture of it? Because that thing looks like a monstrosity to the current Paperwhite.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
I guess PPI matters for PDFs, but reading an AZW/Mobi file doesn't seem like a convincing case to care about higher PPI?

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

rufius posted:

I guess PPI matters for PDFs, but reading an AZW/Mobi file doesn't seem like a convincing case to care about higher PPI?
To be fair, KF8 can have embedded fonts and higher PPI helps :shobon:

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Yeah I'd buy that to replace my Gen 4 because Buttons Rule.

Aurelius posted:

I'm not impressed so far - I ordered Saturday morning, got a confirmation that they'd received my order, and haven't heard poo poo from them since. We'll see how things go.

:allears: I can't wait to see how this turns out. Since it's the 24th now I presume you have yet to hear from them and will now enter into the harrowing depths of dealing with Kobos phenomenally terrible CS department.

\/\/ I'm thoroughly shocked.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 25, 2013

Aurelius
Jun 19, 2002

MC Hawking posted:

Yeah I'd buy that to replace my Gen 4 because Buttons Rule.

:allears: I can't wait to see how this turns out. Since it's the 24th now I presume you have yet to hear from them and will now enter into the harrowing depths of dealing with Kobos phenomenally terrible CS department.

This should give you some joy.

Luckily I've got a functioning Nook, so I'm not sitting here jonesing for an e-ink reader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

cremnob posted:

Is that an actual picture of it? Because that thing looks like a monstrosity to the current Paperwhite.

That's a Kindle Fire HDX.