Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

I can't see any panties in that.

Attack while the tail is up
and you'll get counterattacked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

I can't see any panties in that.

Wait until they reach the Honey Bee Inn.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Theglavwen posted:

Christ, I'm getting to the point where I just can't look at Final Fantasy screenshots anymore, it's all so damned generic and soulless. The franchise has become a parody of itself :(

It's generic because it's genre-defining. It's like looking back at Seinfeld and complaining that it's a generic sitcom.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Dross posted:

It's generic because it's genre-defining. It's like looking back at Seinfeld and complaining that it's a generic sitcom.

And people wonder why genre fiction is looked down at.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Dross posted:

Seinfeld had interesting characters and dialog.

Final Fantasy has anime cutouts that say dumb cliche anime things and go into battle in their underwear.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The_Franz posted:

Final Fantasy has anime cutouts that say dumb cliche anime things and go into battle in their underwear.

Welcome to pretty much every RPG on the market. Even the western ones. I ain't fond of it but let's not pretend like it's FF and nothing else.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pesky Splinter posted:

It's no good. The infection...

It's spreading. :zombie:

The lalafell Lightning is actually awesome. FF13 would have been markedly improved if all the characters had been midgets.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Dross posted:

Well, that is kind of the definition of generic, yes. They created the genre, sure, but now they're stuck in their own rut, which is exactly what I'm talking about. It would be generic if Jerry Seinfeld made some more sitcoms, and they were all carbon copies of Seinfeld. Once it was original, then they kept using it, and it was characteristic. Now though they're using it as a crutch. Ideas, styles, etc., get turned down because they're 'not Final Fantasy', they've created a 'generic Final Fantasy style' and they stick to it. Final Fantasy always had the little touches that brought the games together, but for the most part they still felt like different worlds, just with Chocobos and Moogles and maybe too many belts. Now they're just sticking to formula, the only difference seems to be whether there's gears and digital lights stuck on the flora and fauna or not.

It's not just the stereotypical Final Fantasy outfits and the like though, the whole art-style is generic. Generic 3D rendering. There's no distinctive art style to it, nothing particularly characteristic outside of the clothing, nothing that stands out. The backgrounds look pretty, but boring, nothing catches your attention; the characters all look the same, the buildings are nice and rigid and normal looking. Take that background from FFXIV and stick it into WoW or Mass Effect or half a dozen other games and I wouldn't bat an eye. It's just so boring. 'Look how 3D this is' just doesn't do it for me anymore, it's not impressive, it's standard, and they aren't sticking out in any other way.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Renoistic posted:

It's gotten to a point where I just laugh at every new piece of information about LR, S-E or just gaming news outlets in general. FF14 looks nice but I just don't have the time for games like that anymore. I'm still buying LR because I need to experience the train wreck for myself. It's just kind of sad that I'm much more excited for the FFX/X-2 remake.

Hey now, maybe we're finally going to get Last Mission dubbed in English. I've wanted that for years and I never dared to think it would actually happen.

Plus new Dresspheres! Now X-2 is a dress up game I can respect because....well...maybe respect is the wrong word, but I can enjoy it because I know the creators were having fun with it too. And I legit do think X is in the Top 3 or 5 FF games ever. I can't wait to replay it.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
X-2 had a boss job system, one of the best in my opinion.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

The GIG posted:

X-2 had a boss job system, one of the best in my opinion.

I still maintain that X-2 had one of the best combat systems of any Final Fantasy and yet one of the worst stories of any Final Fantasy.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

It really is too drat easy though. When the HD version comes out I'm gonna have to try and do some sort of challenge. No Dark Knights most definitely. Maybe make better use of the Garmen Grid Bonus stuff.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I wonder if the FFX-2 announcement and lead into the game's release was as insufferable at this. It's literally complaining about the same thing a million times. I feel like I am in a time loop, which is rather fitting. Also these screens reminded me Caius existed, I can't believe the dude who is responsible for all of this has been given very little coverage.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

NikkolasKing posted:

It really is too drat easy though. When the HD version comes out I'm gonna have to try and do some sort of challenge. No Dark Knights most definitely. Maybe make better use of the Garmen Grid Bonus stuff.

Force the characters to stick to a Gunner/Thief/Warrior formation and make sure you have some safeguard against Itchy.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
The best outcome of FF13-3 is that Lightning and all of her friends die in the end and instead of becoming part of the aether or the deku tree they just die. That way they won't show up in any other games.

Toriyama won't let his waifu eat it though :(

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Overbite posted:

Toriyama won't let his waifu eat it though :(

He'll pull a Dark Tower and right before the climax of the game, she'll meet the suave and seductive Don Torejama and after you beat the final boss, the best ending will be them getting married in the most lavish nintendo wedding ever rendered on a console.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
If it was like Dark Tower it'd be hours about how Toriyama is a poo poo hack and how his idiot face got every good person killed. Unlike Dark Tower it's be kind of correct.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

I still maintain that X-2 had one of the best combat systems of any Final Fantasy and yet one of the worst stories of any Final Fantasy.

This is a general trend I think. The worse the story is, the better the progression system is. See also: FF5. Notable exceptions would be FFT and FF13, for completely opposite reasons.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Fister Roboto posted:

This is a general trend I think. The worse the story is, the better the progression system is. See also: FF5. Notable exceptions would be FFT and FF13, for completely opposite reasons.

Counterpoint: FF8.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

Counterpoint: FF8.

I'll take the somewhat controversial stance that the story was slightly bad and the gameplay was kind of OK.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
I gave up on Final Fantasy XIII. I'm almost 30 hours in and hit a point where every fight takes incredibly long, even with a bunch of upgrades and whatnot. It felt like I spent 30 hours fighting the same few enemies hundreds of times. There was one cool boss fight and one fun section in the game (right after you get your 3rd party member) and that's it.

I actually feel kind of bad that I wasted 30 hours in that game.

Actually, it feels really bad.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

This dude has gotten his hands on Lightning Returns and is streaming it. He's playing on Easy.

Terper fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Nov 20, 2013

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Was that the FF13 battle theme? It was super brief, but I did like that theme a lot and that remix of it sounded nice. Did we already know about that?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
A stamina bar for running? In an RPG? Come on.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Chocolina handing out quests. Good thing the word QUEST was randomly in English.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Tae posted:

A stamina bar for running? In an RPG? Come on.

It refills in like, 3 seconds... which just makes it even more confusing why it's there. So you can't completely outrun enemies, I guess?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

He just ran into a guy with a pretty wicked stache. I hope that trend continues.

The battles at least early on seem way too short. They should have learned better after 13-2 that the battle shouldn't be shorter than the loading and results screens for it. Hopefully they get longer later on.

Edit: OH poo poo, you can give Lightning that stache. Or a pretty sweet hat. I'm still hoping for the frocobo and Lightning mask. Everybody still has ridiculous proportions though, not just Lightning.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Nov 20, 2013

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

chumbler posted:

He just ran into a guy with a pretty wicked stache. I hope that trend continues.

The battles at least early on seem way too short. They should have learned better after 13-2 that the battle shouldn't be shorter than the loading and results screens for it. Hopefully they get longer later on.
He just put a pretty wicked stache on Lightning. I'm growing to like this dressup thing, even if it's no Resonance of Fate.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Holy poo poo, is that a moustache accessory for Lightning? GOTY.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Terper posted:

This dude has gotten his hands on Lightning Returns and is streaming it. He's playing on Easy.

The misogyny and racism in this stream's comments is just :smith:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Dubious posted:

The misogyny and racism in this stream's comments is just :smith:

Press the arrow to remove the comments and make the screen bigger.

Snow is apperantly wearing a coat, and... that's it. Maybe put a shirt on underneath, buddy.

Terper fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Nov 20, 2013

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Scent of Worf posted:

I gave up on Final Fantasy XIII. I'm almost 30 hours in and hit a point where every fight takes incredibly long, even with a bunch of upgrades and whatnot. It felt like I spent 30 hours fighting the same few enemies hundreds of times. There was one cool boss fight and one fun section in the game (right after you get your 3rd party member) and that's it.

You think that's bad, I am used to not going with the crowd when it comes to hating stuff. As such, back when XIII-2 came out, I resolved to give XIII a try. I anticipated liking the game enough to get a Limited Edition of XIII-2 that included some story stuff and I think music. I even looked into getting one of those Lightning PS3's {gently caress that though, they are rare and expensive as hell) I had a whole fandom built up in my head; fantasies about getting online and telling everyone how wrong they were.

By the time I got to the final dungeon of XIII, I didn't even want to play it anymore, let alone subject myself to a sequel. I'm just glad I didn't waste money on posters or soundtracks or any of the other crap I thought about getting.

Same thing happened with Evangelion. That I at least enjoyed but gently caress me if I was going to waste money on merch and stuff for it. It wasn't that good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Scent of Worf posted:

If every boss fight is taking incredibly with upgrades, you probably were not playing very well. FFXIII has a lot of flaws but fights only take forever if you're not paradigm shifting. It's possible to finish a lot of the toughest fights in the game quickly at "level 1" with minimum equipment, let alone with upgrades.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iLJ8kAkIbE

:psyduck:

Also, this is most definitely the final boss theme.

Terper fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Nov 20, 2013

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

If every boss fight is taking incredibly with upgrades, you probably were not playing very well. FFXIII has a lot of flaws but fights only take forever if you're not paradigm shifting. It's possible to finish a lot of the toughest fights in the game quickly at "level 1" with minimum equipment, let alone with upgrades.

Doesn't that rely on breaking the game with weapon synthesis?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BioMe posted:

Doesn't that rely on breaking the game with weapon synthesis?

Nope. That's one method to do it but people have done it without any upgrades at all. The general solution to the really tough fights is Shroud usage and proper paradigm switching.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Nov 20, 2013

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
And even then, shrouds are only used to speed things up a little, I don't think you ever have to use them. For all the flaws that game has, it's actually pretty well balanced once you know what paradigms are good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Momomo posted:

And even then, shrouds are only used to speed things up a little, I don't think you ever have to use them. For all the flaws that game has, it's actually pretty well balanced once you know what paradigms are good.

I think there are a couple fights the defensive shrouds are necessary for so that you can survive an attack or two that would otherwise oneshot a guy, but you might be able to do it without them if the enemy AI plays nice enough to let you buff before pushing your face in. The shrouds are the safer option.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I'm not really sure which fights I ended up using them on so yeah, maybe. That might also depend on characters used though, since the gap between say, Hope and Fang is pretty big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The difficulty curve was one of the only redeeming things about XIII. It actually felt tough, but never impossible. This was helped by the checkpoint system and how you would get your shroud back if you failed the battle you used it in. There should have been more ways to get them than just to get a terrible ranking in a battle, though.