Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
langurmonkey
Oct 29, 2011

Getting healthy by posting on the Internet

Evil Fluffy posted:

Noticed that the Wizardry/Bard's Tale-looking Silversword is on sale.
http://www.appshopper.com/games/silversword

Anyone happen to have played it and care to give their thoughts on the game?

It really does capture the essence of the original Bards Tale games, with brutally hard fights if you go the wrong way through it for example. I have had a lot if fun with it and the forums are very helpful if (when) you get stuck. It is very big though and I am not sure I will get all the way through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

cname posted:

I'm still waiting for someone to play Oceanhorn and post about it.

-Any cool weapons or gimmicky stuff like a boomerang or bombs or something?

-What are boss fights like?

-Any issues you've had?

-Any particularly fun segments?

Since you all seem to disapprove of other people's critique, why not review it yourself instead of reviewing the review?

I'm about 9 hours or so into it. It's nice, very basic, but nice.

- Cool weapons? Bombs, yes. Boomerangs and hookshots? Nope. Your standard bow/arrow, bombs and a sword upgrade later.

- I've done the first boss fight and am currently engaged in the second boss fight. They're decent fights but sadly not every area gets a boss fight so they're a bit sparse.

- The rare slowdown on my 4S, but that's a bit expected with that old of hardware. Like the TA review I'm a bit annoyed at the fact that you don't seem to be rewarded for collecting red crystal until you have them all

- Nothing particularly noteworthy, just your general puzzle solving fun.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Are there any games with a diplomatic element to them on iOS besides King of Dragon Pass?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Logitech's game controller was also released. Seems very similar to the other one, including the $100 price.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/11/20/logitechs-powershell-ios-7-game-controller-now-available/

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Those official controllers are horrible so far. The most logical design (well, apart from just allowing a Dualshock4/Xbox controller to sync with the device) would be a standard looking console controller with an optional clip on the back to house an iPhone like the top screen of a DS. That way it could be used separately for an iPad, the clip could be swapped out if iPhones get a change in form factor, and it wouldn't look like an Atari Lynx. And I owned an Atari Lynx, so trust me when I say you do not want to bring up associations with that piece of poo poo handheld.

Anyway, early days, someone will make something better later on. Really though, just let me sync a regular existing controller. Apple, why you gotta make it so hard eh?

A reminder that at midnight Drive on Moscow hits the App Store. I've got my ten bucks ready to throw at it, which is just an hour away for me thanks to the magic of time zones. Anyone who bought Battle of the Bulge will already be frothing for this, and anyone who didn't buy Battle of the Bulge... well they need to buy Battle of the Bulge.

Edit:

Yeah, this battle is much larger than Bulge. Seriously excited for this.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 20, 2013

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Parkingtigers posted:

That way it could be used separately for an iPad

One of the best features about the xbox and ps controllers is that you can use them on things that aren't xboxes and playstations. Call me a skeptic but I don't see that happening with the way ios culture is.

Super excited for Drive on Moscow too. I have a long plane ride coming up. Between this and XCom I won't have to talk to a soul the entire way!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I like how the first two controllers to hit the market are carefully designed such that if a different sized iPhone comes out, everyone that upgrades has to buy a new controller.

And iPad users? gently caress those guys they don't need controllers.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

smackfu posted:

Logitech's game controller was also released. Seems very similar to the other one, including the $100 price.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/11/20/logitechs-powershell-ios-7-game-controller-now-available/

A controller with no analogue stick released in 2013. A team of people over at Logitech actually thought this was a good idea.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

At least the other one can hold a theoretical longer iPhone.

It's a tough design challenge though because a lot of people don't want it to be a half inch taller just in case there is a new wider iPhone next year.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Looks like an attempt to sell more warranties and repairs by encouraging iphone owners to ditch their cases! Win win win!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They could have avoided the issue entirely if they had made a design that wasn't dependent on the shape of the phone. As someone said previously, make a little dock/holster at the top of the controller and create an NDS form factor.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Pretty sure that in order to get your controller MFi certified the device needs to be in the center of the controller, at least with this first round that we're seeing.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I know I missed most of the Tiny Death Star discussion, but these Emperor missions are hosed, Nimbledudes. I got the mission to fill a business with rank 9 guys, and no combination of rank 9 guys (I had 4 for Food) would clear it. So I skipped it with bux and got the find 1 bitizen mission, and I swear to God I played the game for nearly 3 hours on and off over a few days and never got a find bitizen request (and the find rebel spy requests didn't count for it). So I skipped that one and got the upgrade a level mission, but using an Upgrader to do it apparently doesn't count, so I had to spend more bux on that. Also, I just got 3 find bitizen requests in about 10 minutes after skipping the Emperor mission for them.

If you're going to have weird restrictions on how missions are completed, like "new bitizens only" or "no VIPs", you drat well need to say that somewhere. I don't know what the deal was with the find bitizens mission, I could have been super unlucky, but it's not helping things either. I feel like I've been wasting bux on missions that should just be free money and progress while I play, and it's really hurting my interest in the game. I don't want to spend money on bux if they're going to go towards bypassing vague and broken missions.

Fake edit: I got another find bitizen request while I was typing this. Something definitely went wrong while I had that Emperor mission.

Real edit: Looking back over this, I don't want to come off as too much of an rear end in a top hat. I really like the game, and I love seeing your adorable renditions of SW characters. I think that's what makes it so frustrating...I was looking forward to this after Tiny Tower, and there's a lot to love, but having a whole feature hamstrung like this makes me less inclined to play.

Too Shy Guy fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 20, 2013

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
The design process should have taken 10 seconds, and ended up with this:

Just think, people actually sat around coming up with a hundred dollar device with zero analogue sticks in 2013. gently caress me.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Parkingtigers posted:

Just think, people actually sat around coming up with a hundred dollar device with zero analogue sticks in 2013. gently caress me.

Pink and yellow? It'll never fly.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Parkingtigers posted:

Nailed it. Both devices are bluetooth compatiable, why is this an issue?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Does this link work for non-developers?
https://developer.apple.com/LIBRARY/IOS/documentation/ServicesDiscovery/Conceptual/GameControllerPG/Introduction/Introduction.html

quote:

There are three kinds of controllers available:
* A standard form-fitting controller: An iOS device sits inside the controller and the player can access both the iOS device’s screen and the controller elements.
* An extended form-fitting controller: An iOS device sits inside the controller and the player can access both the iOS device’s screen and the controller elements.
* An extended wireless controller: A controller that wirelessly connects to an iOS device or Mac.

"Extended" means it has dual analog sticks and L1/L2 and R1/R2 shoulder buttons. "Standard" means no analog sticks and just L/R.

So actually the Moga Ace one is extended, while the Logitech one is standard, and they are the same price.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That just explains the API though. It doesn't talk about hardware certification or what requirements manufacturers have placed on them. I mean if you read between the lines it says Apple only wants three controller types out there, but it doesn't make it clear whether manufacturers can add or remove thumbsticks or move buttons around.

At any rate, I won't be buying anything until wireless controllers hit the market.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Parkingtigers posted:

:smug:

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Still less ridiculous looking than talking into a phablet, Yod.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Oh I agree. And the nVidia Shield is overpriced garbage.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
The Nokia N-Gage: Ahead of its time.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Drive on Moscow is fantastic. Same interface and rules as Bulge, but some new units and concepts and a massive new battlefield. Going to take some time to figure out when and where I should be attacking. Has three shorter scenarios and a full campaign of the entire engagement. Same incredibly high production values, this is a polished gem of a game that people need to throw money at.

I got my arse handed to me in my first assault. You get no victory points for destroying Soviet units, they are bullet sponges and speed bumps slowing your tanks. It's all about grabbing land as the Axis. Some VP locations give you the points at the end of the match if you still hold them (and only if you still hold them), other locations generate VP each turn adding to your total. Destroyed Soviet units get fed back into the game, and they can use railroads to swiftly counterattack if you don't hold key junctions. Cavalry units are never out of supply, they get a paratroop regiment that can make a redeploy move once per game, and the rules for the weather changes as winter sets in look terrifying for the attacker.

It's a grognard's wet dream, and I'm really happy they went with this battle next instead of El Alamein, and yet I'm now hoping that El Alamein isn't too far off either. These games are the gold standard on iOS. Midnight in your local region, get it bought.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Sock The Great posted:

Nailed it. Both devices are bluetooth compatiable, why is this an issue?

Because Apple's involved.

langurmonkey posted:

It really does capture the essence of the original Bards Tale games, with brutally hard fights if you go the wrong way through it for example. I have had a lot if fun with it and the forums are very helpful if (when) you get stuck. It is very big though and I am not sure I will get all the way through.

Good to know. I might have to pick it up and throw it in my gaming cycle with PAD and Hunter Island. :cheers:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Is that Empire card-trading 4x game any good?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

I want to know this too, the lack of IAP looks promising.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Bottom Liner posted:

I want to know this too, the lack of IAP looks promising.

It has high reviews from all the right sites, but I didn't see anyone talking about it.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
TDS got an update today and I'm noticing all sorts of bugs.

I got stuck in the mission screen. Had to hit home and reload the app.

Assigning jobs, checking a floor, and going through the menus take a noticeable moment longer every time.

Kinda surprised it went through. Disappointing for sure.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Empire owns.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

It got high reviews and goons were posting praise when it first came out.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
So here's a question for you all, does anyone here consider whether or not a game support an iPhone controller a selling point? I ask mainly because I'm currently developing a game that could theoretically support controllers as I'm making a PC version as well save for two niggling issues:

1) the Logitech controller posted would still be useless since it's basically a twin stick shooter
2) the game currently requires the phone to be in the Portrait orientation which none of these controllers support

I could allow Landscape mode and support something like the MOGO but I'm not sure if it's worth the time or effort because I have no gauge on how important it would be to players.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Thwomp posted:

TDS got an update today and I'm noticing all sorts of bugs.

I got stuck in the mission screen. Had to hit home and reload the app.

Assigning jobs, checking a floor, and going through the menus take a noticeable moment longer every time.

Kinda surprised it went through. Disappointing for sure.

The thing that's really pissing me off is they seem to have implemented an anti-dream jobber farming restriction. This morning I was happily bringing people in to my carefully crafted block of residences each with one open spot. I come home, fire up TDS (which has auto-updated) and now Vader pops up and says that "I find your lack of jobs disturbing" when I try to change ANYONE'S job assignment. gently caress. So basically I can't change any goddamn job assignments until I build some more stores tomorrow. :wtc: I'm really tempted to rage quit. Just let me assign whatever residence to job ratio I loving want.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Yodzilla posted:

So here's a question for you all, does anyone here consider whether or not a game support an iPhone controller a selling point?

It depends absolutely and completely on the game. Something where you fly a plane, say. Galaxy on Fire, Metalstorm Aces, whatever - I've just been burned too many times; I'm done with touch or tilt.

so I mean yes, under highly limited circumstances, I would consider it a selling point.

but uh, I kinda want a controller worth buying first

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Zero posted:

The thing that's really pissing me off is they seem to have implemented an anti-dream jobber farming restriction. This morning I was happily bringing people in to my carefully crafted block of residences each with one open spot. I come home, fire up TDS (which has auto-updated) and now Vader pops up and says that "I find your lack of jobs disturbing" when I try to change ANYONE'S job assignment. gently caress. So basically I can't change any goddamn job assignments until I build some more stores tomorrow. :wtc: I'm really tempted to rage quit. Just let me assign whatever residence to job ratio I loving want.

Yeah, I noticed that too. It's doubly weird in that the unemployment option is still there if you've got a store with open slots.

Also, the store/IAP/facebook connect is completely broken. Hopefully that spurs a quick fix.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

tuyop posted:

It has high reviews from all the right sites, but I didn't see anyone talking about it.

I talked about it a little bit, but it got dismissed because it's made by the 100 Rogues dude. It's not really a 4X and it's definitely not a trading card game. The deck-building in the title is referring to games like Dominion or Ascension. In any case, it was good on release and it's still good now. It got a big patch that added some new mechanics and a bit more depth, and as far as I know it's going to continue to get support.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Psion posted:

but uh, I kinda want a controller worth buying first

Yeah me to. I don't really even want any of those two even for development though if I had to choose I'd go with the MOGO.

What are people's thoughts on Apple allowing certain games to be controller required? I'm sure it'll never happen (probably a good thing) because controller owners will be a pittance compared to total iOS users but at the same time coming up with a game that really needs a controller and then also making it work with touch screens is also a huge hassle.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Yodzilla posted:

What are people's thoughts on Apple allowing certain games to be controller required? I'm sure it'll never happen..

It's already in the spec that all games supporting the controllers must be fully playable on touch-screen only. I really don't see Apple relaxing that; compared to the whole iOS market the people who buy these controllers will still be a niche.

SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

feel the rhythm with your hands

Doctor Zero posted:

It's pretty telling when a game as glitchy as TDS has its first update, and the top priority is removing ways for players to get free currency.

I dunno... I guess I shouldn't be surprised at DI's behavior, but it seems like they didn't give the least bit of consideration of what made TT a success in the first place.

Anyway, you can still evict people and hire others in their place, so farming isn't gone completely; you'll just have less control over it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Paradoxish posted:

100 Rogues dude.

big patch

I'm not sure if I want to buy it anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Social Dissonance
Nov 25, 2002

hey guys lets ride

SuperHappy posted:

It's pretty telling when a game as glitchy as TDS has its first update, and the top priority is removing ways for players to get free currency.

I dunno... I guess I shouldn't be surprised at DI's behavior, but it seems like they didn't give the least bit of consideration of what made TT a success in the first place.

Anyway, you can still evict people and hire others in their place, so farming isn't gone completely; you'll just have less control over it.

I'm not having any problem with switching jobs. Is there just an issue if you have too many apartments and not enough job centers?

I am noticing the choppiness/slowdown, which is pretty sad for a recent app on an iphone 5s.

My strategy for the game now is to completely ignore all imperial and emperor missions. I'll get around to all of the imperial stuff, but not before I've build everything else (and forced all of my apartments onto the bottom of the death star).

• Locked thread