Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

SybilVimes posted:

Usually 'refused service' is code for 'wouldn't give me a (25-50%) veteran's discount'.
It appears that it was basically this. Un-uniformed husband and wife stopped in and asked if they have a military discount, and were politely told that they don't offer discounts. So they bought their food and left without incident.

Somehow this got turned into a fully uniformed soldier who had just performed in an honor guard ceremony for a fallen vet being callously denied service in front of his young son because of his sacrifices protecting our freedom.

It even made snopes! Thankfully, Davis is a small city and this is a well established business that has had the same owner for ten years. Locals jumped to the poor owner's defense very rapidly, and there is security camera footage that contradicts the looney account. Yelp was so kind as to nip the wave of righteous indignation in the bud.

I'll have to stop by there later, since I'm sure this was really horrifying and stressful for the tiny shop.

Unfortunately, the Facebook page still took a beating, and is currently filled with bile such as:

quote:

I'm sorry but I think it's hillllarrrioousss that your refusal to serve military members has gone viral. Betcha didn't think that would happen when you jumped on top of that self righteous soapbox huh? teehee.... you see what you did there? You denied a group of people based upon the actions of the government that pulls the strings, but I bet you 5 bucks that you still enter that ballot box every election dont you? What a moron! Good luck in the Unemployment line! lmao..... oh and P.S. Go F*** yourself! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

OldMemes posted:

Just watch the greatest public domain Christmas movie instead...Santa Claus Conquers the Martians with Muscles.

Fixed. :colbert:

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

dregan posted:

MUH RIGHTS :argh:

Fresh off the LAD presses, this one's loving incredible

:dawkins101:

WHAT DID THEY JUST EAT POTATOES FOR BREAKFAST LUNCH TEA DINNER MIDNIGHT SNACK EVERYTHING???~!!

Well, yeah, pretty much.

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

big business sloth posted:

WHAT DID THEY JUST EAT POTATOES FOR BREAKFAST LUNCH TEA DINNER MIDNIGHT SNACK EVERYTHING???~!!

Well, yeah, pretty much.

Granted, I know very little about the Irish famine, but I imagine if you suddenly remove a significant part of a country's diet, regardless of what other food is available, you are going to have a problem. Because if people can't eat that major food, they start consuming other resources (like fish and cows and so forth) until you're running short on those too. Especially considering this was back before the existence of big rear end grocery stores and cargo ships/trucks that could move massive quantities of food from one part of the world to another. This whole post assumes an entire country is full of people thinking 'herpderp no more potatoes. Guess we all better die". It's almost like he has an irrational hatred for an entire group of people, which would just be silly.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

into the void posted:

Granted, I know very little about the Irish famine, but I imagine if you suddenly remove a significant part of a country's diet, regardless of what other food is available, you are going to have a problem. Because if people can't eat that major food, they start consuming other resources (like fish and cows and so forth) until you're running short on those too. Especially considering this was back before the existence of big rear end grocery stores and cargo ships/trucks that could move massive quantities of food from one part of the world to another. This whole post assumes an entire country is full of people thinking 'herpderp no more potatoes. Guess we all better die". It's almost like he has an irrational hatred for an entire group of people, which would just be silly.

It's pretty much the same logic people use for poverty. Why don't poor people just work harder! Why didn't the Irish just go fishing?!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I love how people hear "It's wrong for a man to punch a woman." and their reaction is "But I want to punch women!" rather than "Yeah, punching people is bad." Like as though beating people up is a right and they're taking it away from you. Just don't punch people, it's easy!

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

into the void posted:

Basically this. The potato was such a staple of the Irish diet that they literally did eat it almost for every meal. I've heard stories from my ancestors and such of fishing, yes, and also collecting eggs of sea birds on the rocks. Some places in Ireland really can't sustain much agriculture, especially the small coastal islands.

Ironically, food stores could have been moved from the British Isles, but I've also heard stories of wagon trains for British army outposts/something moving by while the Irish looked on, their teeth stained green from eating grass.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

Reiche posted:

I keep my FB friends list to a minimum but sometimes I feel like I'm missing out calling out idiot young people. Maybe I should unblock my cousin who posts weekly anti-abortion reminders with graphic pictures of aborted fetuses.

You never know! I keep my friends list tight and delete/put on ignore any idiots, but today a friend's post about the FDA allowing some things on the market that really shouldn't be (which is completely true) turned into some of her friends yammering on about chemtrails and related nonsense.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

into the void posted:

They actually could move pretty large quantities of food around, the problem was that this is precisely what the British did, out of Ireland. They were so committed to not messing with "free trade" that they would not interfere even in such an emergency, and of course the Irish, being poor, weren't able to pay as much for the alternative food sources as the people their food was being exported to. On top of that, the British also denied charity from other countries (such as the Ottoman Empire), since that would imply the Empire couldn't take care of its own subjects. The Irish have a pretty drat good reason for not liking the English.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

(Stolen shamelessly from imgur.)

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

A Buttery Pastry posted:

They actually could move pretty large quantities of food around, the problem was that this is precisely what the British did, out of Ireland. They were so committed to not messing with "free trade" that they would not interfere even in such an emergency, and of course the Irish, being poor, weren't able to pay as much for the alternative food sources as the people their food was being exported to. On top of that, the British also denied charity from other countries (such as the Ottoman Empire), since that would imply the Empire couldn't take care of its own subjects. The Irish have a pretty drat good reason for not liking the English.

Yeah, the potato famine is usually thought of as a natural disaster caused by crop failure. Most people don't realize that even when the potato crop failed, Ireland was still producing plenty of food. It just wasn't eaten by the Irish. :(

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

obscurer en tut posted:

Yeah, the potato famine is usually thought of as a natural disaster caused by crop failure. Most people don't realize that even when the potato crop failed, Ireland was still producing plenty of food. It just wasn't eaten by the Irish. :(

God sent the blight but the English sent the famine, and all that.

For content, local idiot Willie Frazer has a new page, and it's loving incredible. I don't know if it's a parody or for real, but the rather disctinctive typing style is consistent between the two. I was going to produce some screenshots but seriously it's all gold, though probably only if you live in Norn Iron.

dregan has a new favorite as of 02:36 on Nov 20, 2013

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Aerdan posted:

(Stolen shamelessly from imgur.)
Who the gently caress likes something like this? How on earth are there (at least)13 people who agree with this?

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!

IronicDongz posted:

Who the gently caress likes something like this? How on earth are there (at least)13 people who agree with this?
Hey man stop bullying those poor creationists. It's not rational.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Smoremaster posted:

Hey man stop bullying those poor creationists. It's not rational.
Uh, no, the implication is that evolution is about the triumph of the strong over the weak, and that therefore bullying is just natural selection.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

dregan posted:

Yes? I mean, why wouldn't you believe that poor surfs were dependent on a single crop to live?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

ratbert90 posted:

Yes? I mean, why wouldn't you believe that poor surfs were dependent on a single crop to live?

He's a real life Alan Partridge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3gfjpcgZmw

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Strudel Man posted:

Uh, no, the implication is that evolution is about the triumph of the strong over the weak, and that therefore bullying is just natural selection.

Doesn't matter either way, because that's a critical misunderstanding of how evolution actually works in social species (particularly humans). I'm just assuming whoever wrote that is a creationist, since I can't imagine any other reason to be against teaching evolution.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Smoremaster posted:

Doesn't matter either way, because that's a critical misunderstanding of how evolution actually works in social species (particularly humans). I'm just assuming whoever wrote that is a creationist, since I can't imagine any other reason to be against teaching evolution.
Oh, no doubt. I'm just saying, it pretty obviously isn't complaining about it being irrational to bully creationists.

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

Oh crap. I forgot how much I loved that show. Wonder if it's on netflix.

Fake edit: It is not.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Strudel Man posted:

Oh, no doubt. I'm just saying, it pretty obviously isn't complaining about it being irrational to bully creationists.

Yeah my joke was lovely and poorly worded, I was trying to make fun of how creationists feel bullied because evolution goes against their 'rational' world view, and religious beliefs aren't taught as equally valid.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Smoremaster posted:

Doesn't matter either way, because that's a critical misunderstanding of how evolution actually works in social species (particularly humans).

Ugh this reminds me of a run-in I had with an idiot on a friend's Facebook. I don't have screenshots because this was seriously forever ago. Friend posts an article on why supermodels are bad for women's body image or something like that, and some fitness obsessive guy comes in with 'how is this more unhealthy than fat chicks :smuggo:'. After a while of people fruitlessly arguing with him, we eventually find out that he genuinely believes that anybody who doesn't spend every second of every day working out (and if female, that working out isn't allowed to make them bulkier!) they literally deserve to die because 'survival of the fittest, we're going against nature and evolution here'. Also he was in favour of killing disabled people. I still can't believe that guy exists.

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

God, I have to wait a month for dental surgery I put off for years... Wish I was one of those lucky welfare recipients.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

York_M_Chan posted:

God, I have to wait a month for dental surgery I put off for years... Wish I was one of those lucky welfare recipients.

From what I know, the dental insurance you get from welfare is loving terrible too. It pretty much only covers pulling teeth and the most basic fillings.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Smoremaster posted:

From what I know, the dental insurance you get from welfare is loving terrible too. It pretty much only covers pulling teeth and the most basic fillings.

And that's if you can even find a dentist to take Medicaid. If not, you could just die from an easily-treatable infection.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Not really as extreme as most of these, but which of those 4 people would you least like to have dinner with?

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

canyoneer posted:

Not really as extreme as most of these, but which of those 4 people would you least like to have dinner with?

Hahaha, I know right, sure the homeless aren't even real people, why would anyone be concerned about their welfare, hahahaha losers

dregan posted:

I think LAD are down again :( Obviously spreading the Potato Famine conspiracy theory really annoyed some folk, there's clearly still loads of potatoes and loads of Irish, YOU COULDNT WRITE THE SCRIPT

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

Smoremaster posted:

Yeah. I used to work with a lot of patients on that kind of insurance and basically any problem you have is solved with pulling out the tooth.Many patients refused to go to the dentist for that very reason, hoping the problem would just go away. In fact, there was a charity in town known specifically as the dental place you could go to that didn't just pull the tooth. Dentists would work for them pro bono. And you had to wait a real long time to get seen by them, if at all.

Also, not sure how being on welfare would magically fix that fact that you are a 30yr old getting his wisdom teeth removed. I imagine all the risks would still exist if you were poor, only you probably wouldn't get all the follow up care.

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.
I thought this must be from the onion or something, like one of their 'Romney can't understand why poor families don't just fire one of the servants' articles.

After Googling it, turns out that this guy is for real. That's pretty disgusting on a Patrick Bateman level.
(victimising the homeless, not the serial murder.)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Shannonmcn posted:

Hahaha, I know right, sure the homeless aren't even real people, why would anyone be concerned about their welfare, hahahaha losers

I think you missed the point. All four of the people are bothered by the article, but one is angry that the reporters don't appear more upset.

That's a silly thing to be angry about.

edit: Here's the article.
http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2013/11/19/2966371/hawaii-homeless-smash/

canyoneer has a new favorite as of 16:31 on Nov 20, 2013

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Reporters shouldn't be upset but even less than that should they trivialize the pretty heavy social implications of their news items by labeling their photos with silly jokes like "hammer time."

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

into the void posted:

Also, not sure how being on welfare would magically fix that fact that you are a 30yr old getting his wisdom teeth removed. I imagine all the risks would still exist if you were poor, only you probably wouldn't get all the follow up care.

poo poo, I am 26 and still have my wisdom teeth. When I was 16 my dentist told me they needed to be removed, but for some reason (I was an idiot and apparently so was my dad) I never did it. When my teeth grew in without any issues, I eventually switched to another dentist and they told me that my wisdom teeth were "some of the happiest they had seen." :iiam:

Are my wisdom teeth going to kill me? :ohdear:

fake edit: Apparently Obama recited the Gettysburg Address, but left out the "under God" that Lincoln added on the spot which was not included in the original written speech. Incoming shitstorm on Facebook in 3, 2...

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

Smoremaster posted:

fake edit: Apparently Obama recited the Gettysburg Address, but left out the "under God" that Lincoln added on the spot which was not included in the original written speech. Incoming shitstorm on Facebook in 3, 2...

If I were him, I'd do that stuff intentionally just to irk the people I knew I could never win over.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

canyoneer posted:

I think you missed the point. All four of the people are bothered by the article, but one is angry that the reporters don't appear more upset.

That's a silly thing to be angry about.

edit: Here's the article.
http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2013/11/19/2966371/hawaii-homeless-smash/

I got your point, I just disagree with you.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Reporters shouldn't be upset but even less than that should they trivialize the pretty heavy social implications of their news items by labeling their photos with silly jokes like "hammer time."

I agree with you.

parque bynch
Mar 12, 2004

R.I.P. Side-Scrolling Link: we hardly knew ye...

York_M_Chan posted:

My guess is they're in for a rude awakening when they have to pay the full bill even with dental insurance. About 7 years ago I signed up for dental insurance knowing I needed to get my wisdom teeth out soon. I waited until January for it to kick in and then had the procedure only to discover that my insurance required you to be on the plan for an entire year before having "surgery" like wisdom teeth extraction. They denied my claim and I had to pay over $2,000 for it.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
YES SHE SAID AGE! gently caress you, trained medical professionals for insinuating anything about my body is in any way different from when I was 17!

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0IgcxlxnxI

Trevor Scantron
Nov 6, 2009

Smoremaster posted:

poo poo, I am 26 and still have my wisdom teeth. When I was 16 my dentist told me they needed to be removed, but for some reason (I was an idiot and apparently so was my dad) I never did it. When my teeth grew in without any issues, I eventually switched to another dentist and they told me that my wisdom teeth were "some of the happiest they had seen." :iiam:

Are my wisdom teeth going to kill me? :ohdear:

My wisdom teeth came in when I was about 19 and my dentist basically said that he would remove them if I wanted but that I seem to have room for them and if they aren't causing me discomfort that the procedure is unnecessary. I'm now in my early thirties and have had no trouble but my wife is about your age and is needing them removed so it might not be a bad idea to ask your tooth doctor about it.

My ~60 year old aunt recently discovered Facebook. It mostly fluctuates between cat pictures and The Blaze.

Arnold Schwarzenegger is anti-murder but made money in movies where he kills guys MAKES YOU THINK

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

"What we tolerate today our children will embrace tomorrow" is a fine point about how young people more readily embrace new ideas and technologies than traditionally more conservative older generations, but knowing the tone of Facebook idiots, it's probably more like "if we let gays have rights, then everybody will be a homo in the future rabble rabble downfall of American society".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!
So I was bored and saw this on a page about Lady Gaga:

Out of morbid curiosity, I checked out his public profile, and all of my suspicions were confirmed:

And a link to this: http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article36728.htm

But this is the best:

An MRA Libertarian, eh? Who would've thought based on that one comment about a pop star?

• Locked thread