Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Boogaleeboo posted:

Listen I'mma make this quick checklist for someone being a bad guy or not:

Do you have a speculum in your torture kit [ ] Yes [ ] No

Ok if the dude checks Yes he is totally 100% evil forever and all time the end. I'm glad to help people out here.

How do you know Carol wouldn't have tortured people if she had a speculum? It's all relative, dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

No you guys are dumb and think the gov is just bad because of body count.

What's torture?

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
The gov is bad because he used the generators to make ice during the town celebration day.

Sure, they all had cool drinks, but at what price?

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

rypakal posted:

Who did Carl murder? He shot a guy who refused to put down his weapon.
Oh nooooo :(

I am kind of glad Carol is gone if I'm honest. Her character change came out of nowhere and wasn't very interesting when it arrived. Now we can at least have a disagreement about something that happened this season.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Redundant posted:

I am kind of glad Carol is gone if I'm honest. Her character change came out of nowhere and wasn't very interesting when it arrived. Now we can at least have a disagreement about something that happened this season.

I liked the direction they were taking her, but it definitely happened way the hell too fast. It could have been a season long transformation, and Daryl could have been trying to reel her back in the whole time etc... Would have been a lot more interesting if it caused a split in their budding relationship and Daryl was the one who had to give her the boot for her own safety.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Redundant posted:

Yeah, she didn't tend towards cold practicality in season 2. Nor did she tend towards cold practicality in season 3 when she told Andrea to stab a sleeping man in the face. Yes, this new Carol is totally out of left field and not at all a sensible and gradual progression.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

rypakal posted:

Yeah, she didn't tend towards cold practicality in season 2. Nor did she tend towards cold practicality in season 3 when she told Andrea to stab a sleeping man in the face. Yes, this new Carol is totally out of left field and not at all a sensible and gradual progression.

There was also when she told them to get a female zombie so she could practice c sections.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

OK I've come around on the "Governor is evil" issue:

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

rypakal posted:

I don't really remember her doing anything of note in season 2, what did she do that was "cold practicality"? It also still feels like a leap from "kill the psycho who tortured our friends and is hell bent on destroying us" whilst doing basically nothing herself to being all action and stabbing 2 friends in the head, sending innocent people to their death without remorse and trying to be a badass out of the prison (and loving it up).

The idea of dragging it out over a season would have made more sense, it could have even been brought about by the little girl dying due to group inaction because of "The Council" but coming back to Carol being stone cold? It felt rushed.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ok so now we're pro dragging stuff out?

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

zoux posted:

Ok so now we're pro dragging stuff out?
That was a poor choice of words, you know what I meant though. Some stories require a bit of time.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

zoux posted:

OK I've come around on the "Governor is evil" issue:

That girl had spent months or even years playing backgammon - you too would accept playing chess against a total jerk if it meant the end of your seemingly eternal torment.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

There was also when she told them to get a female zombie so she could practice c sections.

Yep, that was the moment that let the audience know that Carol was stepping up and becoming a strong member of their group. It is also the moment I fell in love with the character.
You could tell she hated the idea of it, but knew it was necessary.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Ingram posted:

Did anyone else feel this weeks episode was like a real take on the video game? It felt Gov was the PC with such little dialogue and you could almost feel the multiple choice questions pop up with the time bar running out whenever he had to say something.

Maybe it was just me though...

Nope. The live-posting in this thread during the show had, like, non-stop rpg jokes. In fact, I think someone mentioned the dialogue bar as well.

And I finally got around to downloading the first episode of the game on my ipad. It won't work. :( Crashes before I get to the menu. Motherfucking iOS 7.

Boogaleeboo posted:

Listen I'mma make this quick checklist for someone being a bad guy or not:

Do you have a speculum in your torture kit [ ] Yes [ ] No

Ok if the dude checks Yes he is totally 100% evil forever and all time the end. I'm glad to help people out here.

Hahaha! I kept harping on that during the show. I kept thinking about the comment last season of, "I don't believe that man is a practicing gynocologist." I can't remember which goon posted that, but I'm still laughing about it.

Just found out Steven Yeun (Glenn) played the voice for the first avatar on "The Legend of Korra". I've been kind of bored of the show this season, but decided to watch the two episodes about the first avatar on demand, and I was like, "I know that voice...I know it's attached to an actor I like. Who the gently caress is it?" Had to look it up.

Bored fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 20, 2013

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

rypakal posted:

The Governor is the ultimate end of that "survival for myself" line of thinking.

Not even that, really. The way he was portrayed in season 3, he wasn't concerned with survival as much as he was with power and satisfying his own ego, with an extra serving of "hosed up" on the side. That was kind of bad, though, because the writers clearly wanted him to be some sort of dark reflection of Rick, but the way he was written I don't think anyone bought it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

verybad posted:

Not even that, really. The way he was portrayed in season 3, he wasn't concerned with survival as much as he was with power and satisfying his own ego, with an extra serving of "hosed up" on the side. That was kind of bad, though, because the writers clearly wanted him to be some sort of dark reflection of Rick, but the way he was written I don't think anyone bought it.

I think the only time they got close was when they showed his diary and it started out with talking about how to help the town. However, it then went to crazy town with the lists and tally marks.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

euphronius posted:

The contrast between him and Rick though is/was a cool commentary on American politics though.

Go on...

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I thought Woodbury was a pretty obvious model of American with its surface niceties, militarized borders, co-opted scientists, and hidden torture rooms ruled by sadistic fascists. This contrasts with Rick who is more of the reified version of what Americans aspire to be, brave Sheriffs saving families and being fair to each other. Modern (more sensitive) John Waynes.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

euphronius posted:

I thought Woodbury was a pretty obvious model of American with its surface niceties, militarized borders, co-opted scientists, and hidden torture rooms ruled by sadistic fascists. This contrasts with Rick who is more of the reified version of what Americans aspire to be, brave Sheriffs saving families and being fair to each other. Modern (more sensitive) John Waynes.

Part of me wants to think this is an awesome analysis, and then I remember we're talking about Glen Mazzara.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

zoux posted:

Access to means, I think it's important to consider whether intent or outcome is a bigger indicator of "monsterhood". Like when people in this thread are literally cheering the murder of that one dude by Carl or going bonkers in favor of all the anti-social murderous behavior that we see week to week are monsters or not.

Oh I see, my shorthand has confused you. Yes I know all those things happened, but relative morality vs. survival is a major theme in this show. If new Carol had been in the Governor's position, then would you be surprised about her doing all the same stuff? The Governor is the ultimate end of that "survival for my group" line of thinking. Farmer Rick would be the ultimate end of the "try to maintain humanity in the face of overwhelming horror" being the other end of the spectrum.
I think that was the intent of the writers, but in reality the Governor comes off too insane to be a credible alternative.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
I'm almost afraid to ask this because I'll get vilified for NOT WATCHING THE SHOW CLOSELY ENOUGH etc, but...is it clear where are we timeline-wise vs the prison? Isn't this all quite some time before someone :iiam: started stuffing rats through the fence? Does this theorized redemption arc of the Governor point to someone else behind that poo poo?

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

rivetz posted:

I'm almost afraid to ask this because I'll get vilified for NOT WATCHING THE SHOW CLOSELY ENOUGH etc, but...is it clear where are we timeline-wise vs the prison? Isn't this all quite some time before someone :iiam: started stuffing rats through the fence? Does this theorized redemption arc of the Governor point to someone else behind that poo poo?

The morning his dudes abandon him is the morning that Rick brings everyone from Woodbury in the bus. Then he enough time to grow his wild beard, so that's probably a couple months. Then he was with the ladies in their apartment for an unknown amount of time.

It's never winter, so that could either have happened while he was a mountain man (again, how do you walk for two months and not get far the gently caress away from the area) or it hasn't happened yet.

The time in the house was interesting because it's the first time the show hasn't been clear with the passage of time within an episode. It could have been three days or three months.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

His beard was gone by the time he made his ominous glare at the end of the last prison episode right? -- so it's unclear how far back they went to show him meeting the women in the house. It's possible he already rape-killed them and continued on with his plan to destroy the prison.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

His beard was gone before he even left the apartment building with the women.

There's really not much way to determine the time of the Governor's story. He's obviously abandoned by Martinez and burns Woodbury within days of the end of S3 and it presumably has to be a month or two for his beard to grow out (I think he mentioned something vague like "its been months" when explaining what happened to him). Obviously we're still before his appearance at the end of the last episode but I guess technically we could be caught up to the start of the season. But I assume we're farther back in the "between seasons" time. But I don't think there was any clear indication of it.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
I cannot seem to dredge up enough interest in what might happen on tommorrow's episode if it is still gov-centric. Will I watch? Probably. However it will be as meaningless as watching big bang theory or 2 broke girls.

Just... :negative: :effort:

edit: At least it's not a reality show. :)

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Fog Tripper posted:

I cannot seem to dredge up enough interest in what might happen on tommorrow's episode if it is still gov-centric.

Good thing you're not really pumped about it because it airs on Sunday.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

No one watches the show so no one knows when it's on.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

I literally have no idea why I wrote tomorrow. Governor is really loving with my mind.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Would they dare to postpone Darryl's reaction to post mid-season break? Or as the mid-season finale climax?

If yes, get out those pitchforks people.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Evernoob posted:

Would they dare to postpone Darryl's reaction to post mid-season break? Or as the mid-season finale climax?

If yes, get out those pitchforks people.
Nah.

I'm not that worried about Darryl kicking off about the least useful (adult, non red shirt) member of the group being kicked out. Even the addendum of "adult" isn't always needed because Carl.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

zoux posted:

relative morality vs. survival is a major theme in this show.

Ah yes, I can see how survival would bring about slaughtering National Guard troops, killing those that leave and slaughtering your own people for not following your orders. Kidnapping, torture and (implied) rape of another group.
Yes, the governor just did that for survival. How silly of us to think that no, he's not comparable to anyone else that hasn't done that poo poo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So you're saying that morality vs. survival is not a theme in the show?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Survival at all costs leads to the loss of humanity and monstrous behavior. That is (one of) the themes there with Woodbury and the Gov. And Carol now, in this season.

To put it in other America critique themes I think the show captured, the Gov is choosing hegemony, which (ironically) ends up threatening everyone's survival http://www.amazon.com/Hegemony-Survival-Americas-Dominance-American/dp/0805074007

quote:

, Chomsky dissects America's quest for global supremacy, tracking the U.S. government's aggressive pursuit of policies intended to achieve "full spectrum dominance" at any cost. He lays out vividly how the various strands of policy-the militarization of space, the ballistic-missile defense program, unilateralism, the dismantling of international agreements, and the response to the Iraqi crisis-cohere in a drive for hegemony that ultimately threatens our survival. In our era, he argues, empire is a recipe for an earthly wasteland.

I think the Gov's actions in S3 pretty closely match Chomsky's critique of American empire. The gov militarizes, is unilateral, forgoes any kind of "international agreement" with Rick's group, and basically this way of acting leads to most everyone in Woodbury dying or being dispossessed.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 21, 2013

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Carol could have saved a lot of hassle by simply saying she waited by their beds, they turned, she shanked, then burned the corpses to prevent spread.

By Carol, I of course mean the little girl. :)

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Fog Tripper posted:

Carol could have saved a lot of hassle by simply saying she waited by their beds, they turned, she shanked, then burned the corpses to prevent spread.

She could have saved a lot of hassle by *actually* doing that. Except for the standing by them part. They were already quarantined; there was no advantage for them to die a few hours early.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

euphronius posted:

Survival at all costs leads to the loss of humanity and monstrous behavior. That is (one of) the themes there with Woodbury and the Gov.

That may have been the story the writers wanted to tell, but it is not the story they told. I don't think a narcissistic, trophy-taking, off-meds serial killer with a rape dungeon is the logical end point of "survival-at-all-costs", yet that's how the Governor was portrayed. Your reading of the Woodbury story as a criticism of American hegemony is correct, I feel, but the writers chose to have this completetely farcical character as the primary focus of that story, and as a result, we're left with some pretty terrible TV. If the governor represents what the writers think about their country's leadership, well, it's no wonder the stories they told weren't all that interesting.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

Fog Tripper posted:

By Carol, I of course mean the little girl. :)

I chuckled.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

verybad posted:

That may have been the story the writers wanted to tell, but it is not the story they told. I don't think a narcissistic, trophy-taking, off-meds serial killer with a rape dungeon is the logical end point of "survival-at-all-costs"

But yet the pictures from Abu Ghraib? I am not going to post any here, but GIS reveals that that happened.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

rypakal posted:

She could have saved a lot of hassle by *actually* doing that. Except for the standing by them part. They were already quarantined; there was no advantage for them to die a few hours early.

Besides the whole risk of biting people as a zombie of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Fog Tripper posted:

Besides the whole risk of biting people as a zombie of course.

Ruthless but not murderous Carol would have actually locked them in their cells and told Pussyreese to stay the gently caress away.

• Locked thread