Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
He paid a locksmith $180 to unlock the loving car. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Should have bought the AAA. Premier is $145 a year and provides:
Auto Lockout Service
If your vehicle key is lost or broken, or service provider cannot gain entry, AAA will provide locksmith service or reimbursement of commercial locksmith service up to $150 (AAA Classic members receive up to $50 and Plus or Plus/RV Members up to $100).

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
AAA is pretty drat good all services considered. I would have it if I didn't have BMW assist on the car.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Seriously AAA is the best money you will spend on your car. I probably get a tow once a year (flat/something took a poo poo) and thats basically my membership fee right there. I also do as much DMV related things as possible at their local office.

Also, free maps! :downs:

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

So, one of the Xenon headlights on my E90 turns pink shortly after being turned on. Am I correct in thinking I'm going to have to replace the bulb? I haven't tried swapping headlights to verify it's the bulb yet, but assuming it is, would this be the replacement?
http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/more_info.cgi?pn=63-21-7-217-509-M97

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Funzo posted:

So, one of the Xenon headlights on my E90 turns pink shortly after being turned on. Am I correct in thinking I'm going to have to replace the bulb? I haven't tried swapping headlights to verify it's the bulb yet, but assuming it is, would this be the replacement?

It needs replacing, yes. I would look on Amazon for bulbs, though. I just got a Philips DS2 HID bulb for $30 from there.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Funzo posted:

It is also advisable to replace both at the same time. I'm not certain if this is applicable for all E9x cars, or just M's, however the bulbs are D1S.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Add another E30 to the family kind of. Brother's fiance picked this up last night, 86 I think 325iC. New top, interior is immaculate, needs a new back window, needs paint cleanup, fluids flushed and tires but overall a good find and drives like it should. Now we're back to only German cars at the house, she sold her 08 Scion to get the E30.

E30 family photo one of these days I'm sure. Neighbors either don't notice they are different cars or think we're nuts.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

NitroSpazzz posted:

Add another E30 to the family kind of. Brother's fiance picked this up last night, 86 I think 325iC. New top, interior is immaculate, needs a new back window, needs paint cleanup, fluids flushed and tires but overall a good find and drives like it should. Now we're back to only German cars at the house, she sold her 08 Scion to get the E30.

E30 family photo one of these days I'm sure. Neighbors either don't notice they are different cars or think we're nuts.

Good choice, I would buy an E30 over any econobox that's available these days.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

wallaka posted:

It needs replacing, yes. I would look on Amazon for bulbs, though. I just got a Philips DS2 HID bulb for $30 from there.

Didn't even think of Amazon for some reason. I ordered a pair of bulbs, should be able to put them in this weekend.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I think that's an 87, they didn't have the M20B25 in the US until then right?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
An E36 M3 is for sale near me. It's a coupe. (groan) And it's yellow. (Oh god tell me owning a yellow car isn't as bad as they say it is)

It has 110k miles. (189k km)

Curiously, the owner before the current one did pretty much all the maintenance that it should have done by this time.

quote:

In the spring of 2011 the previous owner had executed the following repair/replacements to the vehicle before it was stored:
· Removed and replace radiator with new OEM radiator
· Front Left and right lower control arm replacement with new OEM
· Front Left and right strut replacement with new OEM
· Replacement of both front and rear shock absorbers with new OEM
· Replacement of rear upper shock mounts with new OEM
· Replacement of lower outer rear control arm bushings with new OEM
· New Michelin Pilot Super Sport Rubber 245/40/17 rears, 225/45/17 fronts
· Four wheel computerize alignment and dynamic tire balancing
· Replacement of AC belt, idler pulley and tensioner with new OEM
· Replacement of Water pump with new OEM
· Replacement of Thermostat with new OEM
· Replacement of expansion tank with new OEM
· Replacement of all brake pads with new OEM

Anything missing here? Or is this one of the few cars not in maintenance debt?

PCJ-600
Apr 17, 2001

Ziploc posted:

An E36 M3 is for sale near me. It's a coupe. (groan) And it's yellow. (Oh god tell me owning a yellow car isn't as bad as they say it is)

I had a Pasadena (eye-searing) Yellow 944. It can turn the wrong heads sometimes but it tends not to show dings and chips too easily, and looks killer in the sun, especially accompanied with black trim. I prefer my anonymously black 335 though, despite the higher level of care it needs.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Ziploc posted:

Anything missing here? Or is this one of the few cars not in maintenance debt?

Possibly the radiator
. But other than that.... god drat, if you don't buy it, your dumb as gently caress (if your looking for an M3).

You know whats great about Yellow? You can vynal wrap or plasti-dip that poo poo.

Edit: I cant read. But really, thats a pretty bang on car for the money.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 20, 2013

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Dakar yellow best yellow.

And the first line says the radiator was done. It definitely looks taken care of, especially if he put pilot super sports on it. Those are good (but expensive) tires.

I do see a few things that could need doing:
-Trailing arm bushings
-Diff bushing
-Subframe bushings
-Engine mounts
-Shifter bushings

Not saying they WILL be bad, but even a '99 will need some of those if they have never been done.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

On E36 bushing chat I'm picking up my 1997 tomorrow. I know the suspension will be in need of refreshing so I've been researching kits online and holy balls I don't know nearly enough about these. For reference, I'll be driving ~7K miles year. It will mostly be normal driving/commuting. I maybe will get to the track once a year (I've never been) so maybe more spirited canyon drives. The rear will need to be done sooner than the fronts; what kind of kits should I look for? OEM would probably do me fine I'm guessing. The goal is not to make huge power or become a track rat - just back to solid driving. Pricing seems to go anywhere from $300 to $1200.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
For a short time I owned an absolutely beat to gently caress dakar M3 coupe. Only running on 4 cylinders, ricer PO's, resprayed like 3 different times. Still the prettiest car I've ever owned besides my estoril cabrio and it had the nicest vaders I've ever personally owned, go figure. In short, :getin:

Obligatory picture of the hilarious amount of oil this thing blew out the exhaust

Also the Getrag 260 is god's transmission. Miles beyond the 265 that replaced it in the OBDII cars.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Recently have noticed a disconcerting clicking noise when driving my e36 M3. It follows the revs high and low, it doesn't sound metallic but I'm not sure what it could be. I won't have a chance to look under the hood until next week when I have some time off. Any ideas what it could be? It also doesn't happen all the time, usually after the engine has warmed up a bit.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Lifter tick? Isn't that a pretty common thing on E36 M3s?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This could be a symptom of my cold start issues. Basically have to keep giving the car gas during cold start idle for ~30 seconds or it will die. Eventually it reaches a point where it's fine idling by itself or if the car is already warm. I was suspecting a dirty idle control valve.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Popete posted:

Recently have noticed a disconcerting clicking noise when driving my e36 M3. It follows the revs high and low, it doesn't sound metallic but I'm not sure what it could be. I won't have a chance to look under the hood until next week when I have some time off. Any ideas what it could be? It also doesn't happen all the time, usually after the engine has warmed up a bit.

For me this always means I've let the oil get a bit low.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Kenshin posted:

For me this always means I've let the oil get a bit low.

Yeah this seemed to be the issue, added a little oil and the noise went away. Thanks! Is this just something to just watch out for? Or should I use Seafoam or something?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
E36 m3s are known oil consumers (even the factory spec for consumption is high), I suggest checking at least once a week if you drive it often.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I might be wrong but I thought most BMW straight sixes consume oil as they get older. At least for my e34 the recommendation seems to be: add more oil, save money for eventual catalytic and o2 sensor failures.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I check fluids on all my cars whenever I fill up for gas. Since I usually drive to under a 1/4 tank and always pump from stations with hold-open handles, I get plenty of time to poke around under the hood and check the various fluid levels. Get in the habit and stuff a shop rag somewhere it's not going to flash into flame when it inevitably gets really oil soaked from swiping dipsticks.

Just beware of oil change joints swiping your swipe rags :argh:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm pretty used to cars burning oil, my 1987 e30 goes through it pretty quick as well. I'll just pick up a few extra quarts to throw in the trunk and make sure I check more often. I was surprised the oil light didn't come on as it seemed fairly low.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
My M20 with 199,556 miles on it doesn't burn any oil :smugdog:

My M42 with 188k burns about a quart every 4000 miles, though :smith:

televiper
Feb 12, 2007
Every BMW dealer's parts counter that I've been to offers oil bottle holsters near the luggage, golf-balls, and collared shirts, so I guess that's them quietly acknowledging the situation.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lightbulb Out posted:

My M20 with 199,556 miles on it doesn't burn any oil :smugdog:

My M42 with 188k burns about a quart every 4000 miles, though :smith:

Maybe the M20 has burned all it's oil :smugdog:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
On a side not it snowed a bit last night here in Wisconsin. This is my first year with the M3 and my first snow drive which re-enforced my desire to put it into storage over winter and bring down my e30 next week. I was chugging along into work this morning and went over a small bridge a bit higher up, well on top there was an ice patch and I immediately started fish tailing and praying I wouldn't go into the other lane or get hit by the car behind me. I ended up slowing down enough before hitting a low side curb and continued on fearing I had badly scraped or dented the front passenger side. Got to work and checked it out, no scratches or dents! That was a close call. I'm more than ready to put it away for the winter before more snow arrives, the e30 already doesn't handle the snow very well I can't imagine the M3 in a blizzard.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Popete posted:

Yeah this seemed to be the issue, added a little oil and the noise went away. Thanks! Is this just something to just watch out for? Or should I use Seafoam or something?

As everyone else has said, it will just eat oil.

I'd recommend checking/filling it every 1500 miles. Not that it'll have emptied, but it'll have eaten a bit.

I get my oil changed every 3000-4000 miles anyway since I'm at nearly 160k on the clock now.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Can confirm the M54 in my E46 consumes a noticeable amount of oil. If I had to guess I'd say something like a half quart every 1000 miles, but it seems to depend on how hard it is getting driven a lot as well.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Popete posted:

On a side not it snowed a bit last night here in Wisconsin. This is my first year with the M3 and my first snow drive which re-enforced my desire to put it into storage over winter and bring down my e30 next week. I was chugging along into work this morning and went over a small bridge a bit higher up, well on top there was an ice patch and I immediately started fish tailing and praying I wouldn't go into the other lane or get hit by the car behind me. I ended up slowing down enough before hitting a low side curb and continued on fearing I had badly scraped or dented the front passenger side. Got to work and checked it out, no scratches or dents! That was a close call. I'm more than ready to put it away for the winter before more snow arrives, the e30 already doesn't handle the snow very well I can't imagine the M3 in a blizzard.

You're in Wisconsin, you get enough snow/ice/slush/poo poo to buy snow tires. The E36 M3 does fine in the snow with real snow tires other than lack of ground clearance. Your E30 is going to be just as lovely if you're tires aren't up to par.

Argila
Oct 23, 2008

Is there anything this comprehensive on E90s? The E90 section on that website is a fraction of the E46.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

NitroSpazzz posted:

You're in Wisconsin, you get enough snow/ice/slush/poo poo to buy snow tires. The E36 M3 does fine in the snow with real snow tires other than lack of ground clearance. Your E30 is going to be just as lovely if you're tires aren't up to par.

I have snow tires on the e30, it's not the worst but can get a little squirrely. I don't want to drive the M3 in the winter because the snow/salt destroys the exterior, that and having to buy snow tires and having the extra torque flinging me around.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I would actually prefer the M3. LSDs make a difference in the snow.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Ziploc posted:

I would actually prefer the M3. LSDs make a difference in the snow.

Buying and swapping in an E30 LSD is a $150/2h venture.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
E30 differentials are not swappable into e36's.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

On that subject, how big a job is putting an lsd into an e46 and is there an easy way to tell which cars had them other than running vins?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Only the E46M3 was lucky enough to get a LSD. Pretty sure you have to swap the entire rear subframe and differential to get it to work.