Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah the pages you viewed would have to start being cached. Back in the pre-ios7 days I thought it would be cool to use that gesture to open a save for later menu with threads you mark / download to read later without needing a data connection for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

ultramiraculous posted:

It's not available by default. The swipe to go back gesture you basically get "for free" because it's a built-in feature of the navigation controller. To swipe right-to-left, you'd have to do something custom, and keep track of pages the user backed out of yourself.

That's what I was concerned over--it seems intuitive that right-to-left would undo left-to-right, and I definitely find a number of sites in Safari being far too sensitive to the one way and wanting a quick fix for that.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
Did I miss an update, or does swipe right for the browsing tab work all of a sudden? I also think I figured out why I kept losing bookmarks- my iPad had literally zero free space. Once I cleaned out some photos the problem went away.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I just noticed that if you tap the "..." post actions button twice accidentally then the menu pops up twice in succession and tapping a button on the top menu causes it to dismiss and leave the second menu visible.

Really just cosmetic but maybe worth checking to see if the new version of Awful has the same behavior?

iPhone 5 /ios 6 1 4.

Edit: further toying indicates it only happens on a post positioned on the screen such that the menu will cover the button once it appears.

the yeti fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 22, 2013

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed
Same thing on iOS 7 iPhone 4S. It's actually kind of fun to do it on purpose. I actually got 3 to show up once.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Is it only working on ...'s that would be covered by the menu for you guys as well? If I have two of them on the screen, with one at the top won't get the second menu rather it just closes it, but the one that will get covered gets the second menu to pop up. Scroll the page up to where the ... is at the top makes it work as it should.

Terminal Entropy fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Nov 23, 2013

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Terminal Entropy posted:

Is it only working on ...'s that would be covered by the menu for you guys as well? If I have two of them on the screen, with one at the top won't get the second menu rather it just closes it, but the one that will get covered gets the second menu to pop up. Scroll the page up to where the ... is at the top makes it work as it should.

Yep, that's exactly what I was trying to get at with my edit.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

I'm loving the app. I helped out with the Awful app icons on the Android version but I've jumped ship now so I offer my help to the iAwful app. I was wondering if there was any talk of updating the current app icons to more of an iOS 7 interface? I would be down to give it a go if no-one else is?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

spanky the dolphin posted:

I'm loving the app. I helped out with the Awful app icons on the Android version but I've jumped ship now so I offer my help to the iAwful app. I was wondering if there was any talk of updating the current app icons to more of an iOS 7 interface? I would be down to give it a go if no-one else is?

Welcome to the light side! We actually have a thread covering Awful 2, which is the app being redone for iOS7: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3564303

Are you referring to the icons shown in the different action menus? We do have a design for them we are refining, always open to more ideas though.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Ah, thanks for the link. I've posted in there now. I see that quite a lot of work has gone into a redesign already and it's looking great. I was maybe thinking of having a go at the main app icon but willing to help in any way really.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Small bug;

When in landscape mode with a platinum account, you loose half the buttons outside the windowwhen clicking on the edit post menu.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I've been having an issue lately where I'll get a error code 1005 (connection lost) and when I go back and try to load the thread again, all posts are marked as read even though I never got to see the new ones due to the connection lost error. Is there a way to make sure Awful only marks posts as read once they actually been displayed?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

jivjov posted:

I've been having an issue lately where I'll get a error code 1005 (connection lost) and when I go back and try to load the thread again, all posts are marked as read even though I never got to see the new ones due to the connection lost error. Is there a way to make sure Awful only marks posts as read once they actually been displayed?

Not really, though I empathize. What I think is happening is the connection gets lost after requesting a page of posts but before they finish downloading. As soon as SA gets that request for a page it updates the "last read" marker.

How frequently do you get that connection lost error? Do you see similar network weirdness in any other apps? Does it happen on wifi?

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Nov 25, 2013

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

pokeyman posted:

Not really, thought I empathize. What I think is happening is the connection gets lost after requesting a page of posts but before they finish downloading. As soon as SA gets that request for a page it updates the "last read" marker.

How frequently do you get that connection lost error? Do you see similar network weirdness in any other apps? Does it happen on wifi?

Happens 5 or 6 times over the course of a few minutes, then goes away for half an hour or so. Happens on wifi and 3G, but seems more common on 3G. Haven't noticed much other network weirdness, but I haven't been looking much either.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
Thank you so much for working on wonderful awful app. I just right now discovered a setting to hide my browsing bar when sideways and that you made pocket support too, yay! :yayclod:

Top Gym Pumper posted:

Another vote for a sig option and also turning off spell check for GBS because I'm having to work way too hard fighting it to make my low effort posts.
+1 A checkbox for including my signature is the only thing i wish awful also had.

Thank you again, a thousand times thanks!

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

pokeyman posted:

Not really, though I empathize. What I think is happening is the connection gets lost after requesting a page of posts but before they finish downloading. As soon as SA gets that request for a page it updates the "last read" marker.

This happens to me quite a bit as well, but never on wifi, just while on cellular. I'll click the thread, see that it won't load instantly, wait 30 seconds, then head back to the bookmarks and click again, which loads instantly. I'll go days without seeing it, then it'll pop up multiple times in an hour.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

I know development is more focused on the iOS 7 version, but there is a small annoyance in the current version that should probably be fixed before development fully switches over:

Whenever you tap an intra-forum link, there is no indicator that anything is happening. I usually tap a link 3 or 4 times before I remember to wait. It's more of a usability issue than a bug, but it is really jarring.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Kazy posted:

Whenever you tap an intra-forum link, there is no indicator that anything is happening. I usually tap a link 3 or 4 times before I remember to wait. It's more of a usability issue than a bug, but it is really jarring.

I've been hit by this a couple times too. On the list!

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Will awful ever be able to capture links from other apps or is that not a thing iOS can do?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Will awful ever be able to capture links from other apps or is that not a thing iOS can do?

As in open Awful when you tap a link to the forums in some other app? Unfortunately that's not doable today on iOS. There is a poor man's way to do it: copy the link then switch to (or launch) Awful. It'll ask you if you want to open the link.

You reminded me of a feature other apps have that I just implemented in Awful: the awfulhttp:// URL handler. The next version can open URLs that start with awfulhttp://. So if the app you're in has an address bar, you can prepend awfulhttp:// and tap Return and Awful will open right up. No idea if this'll be useful but it was easy to do!

radge
Jan 21, 2005

pokeyman posted:

As in open Awful when you tap a link to the forums in some other app? Unfortunately that's not doable today on iOS. There is a poor man's way to do it: copy the link then switch to (or launch) Awful. It'll ask you if you want to open the link.

You reminded me of a feature other apps have that I just implemented in Awful: the awfulhttp:// URL handler. The next version can open URLs that start with awfulhttp://. So if the app you're in has an address bar, you can prepend awfulhttp:// and tap Return and Awful will open right up. No idea if this'll be useful but it was easy to do!

I don't think it's that useful because on iOS 7 Safari automatically removes the [url]http://[/url] prefix.

If you add a bookmarklet for the following it should work though.

code:
javascript:location.href='awful'+location.href

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

radge posted:

I don't think it's that useful because on iOS 7 Safari automatically removes the http:// prefix.

True enough, it's more for other apps I guess (do any browsers still show the scheme?). Or if you have something on your clipboard that you don't want to lose. Or for your bookmarklet.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Why not awful://[threadid]?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

TinTower posted:

Why not awful://[threadid]?

awful://thread/[threadid] works too (here's the full list), but isn't as helpful when you have an http URL that you're trying to convert.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
Is there a way to enable 12 hour time? I have it on the home site and have logged in/out to try and trigger it.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

kenny powerzzz posted:

Is there a way to enable 12 hour time? I have it on the home site and have logged in/out to try and trigger it.

In theory Awful should be using your device's "use 12 hour time" setting. No such luck?

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Why does the app keep the last post I quoted in the reply field even if I cancel out? I mean I guess I can see the benefits if you want to reply to multiple people, but I've jumbled up my posts a couple times thinking I'm replying when I'm actually editing. If that's a designed feature it'd be nice if you could turn it off or add a back button that lets you keep the quoted post and let the cancel button cancel your post.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Holding down on the top of a post wipes the entire post. The other trick is just not loving up or ninja editing. If you can't ninja edit on awful.app you shouldn't be posting from it full stop.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Why does the app keep the last post I quoted in the reply field even if I cancel out? I mean I guess I can see the benefits if you want to reply to multiple people, but I've jumbled up my posts a couple times thinking I'm replying when I'm actually editing. If that's a designed feature it'd be nice if you could turn it off or add a back button that lets you keep the quoted post and let the cancel button cancel your post.

It's kept in case you're quoting many posts, or referring back to the thread as you write, or accidentally press cancel. The next version hopefully addresses the accidental edit thing, so stay tuned.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

pokeyman posted:

In theory Awful should be using your device's "use 12 hour time" setting. No such luck?

Nope. I'll try it again. It's always been this way but I just got around to trying a fix. I'll try logging out on PC and iPhone later.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

pokeyman posted:

I had no idea it was supposed to do this. I use 12 hour time, but the app has shown me 24 hour time for a long time.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Well I guess I'll get on that then!

a glorious hole
Nov 21, 2012

Is it possible for you to have the app convert YouTube links to an embedded video? As it is now it just throws the [url] tags around it.

e:testing

a glorious hole fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 3, 2013

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Diabolik900 posted:

I had no idea it was supposed to do this. I use 12 hour time, but the app has shown me 24 hour time for a long time.

Yup, I always thought it was supposed to be that way. :)

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

a glorious hole posted:

Is it possible for you to have the app convert YouTube links to an embedded video? As it is now it just throws the [url] tags around it.

All YouTube videos show up embedded for me.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

IllegallySober posted:

Yup, I always thought it was supposed to be that way. :)

It is in a just world. 12-hour clocks are stupid.

But the intention was to honour the device's settings so I'll fix that up.

a glorious hole posted:

When posting, you mean? I can add it to the list.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

vikingstrike posted:

All YouTube videos show up embedded for me.

That's not what he's asking for.. pasting a youtube url in Awful.app doesn't convert it to the bbcode that is used to generate the embed.

a glorious hole
Nov 21, 2012

pokeyman posted:

When posting, you mean? I can add it to the list.

Yessir. It throws [url] around it now when it needs the [video type="youtube"] tag. Thanks a lot!

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

echinopsis posted:

Holding down on the top of a post wipes the entire post. The other trick is just not loving up or ninja editing. If you can't ninja edit on awful.app you shouldn't be posting from it full stop.

I'm pretty good at the ninja edit. Its the accidental delete everything edit that is frustrating, but it sounds like that's being addressed so :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serious Sam
Feb 15, 2008

Never underestimate the power of stupid things in large numbers!

Serious Sam posted:

Hi,

V.1.11.9

When going to menu and in horizontal view it gets like this:

Edit: Also, the app is great, you guys are amazing!

Any fix on this yet? :)

• Locked thread