Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone know if there's any other mecha model kits that resemble the RGM-96X Jesta? Kinda military-like, yet a bit more featured than a GM, but doesn't stand out so much like a Gundam. Ideally also 1/144 sized so they can all look the same on my desk, take a relatively short time to build and remain fairly cheap price-wise.

I was originally looking at the HGUC 1/144 Jesta Ecoas type but it's just a little too bare for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I think your only other option would be the Jesta Cannon and maybe the GM III.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
You might look into Kotobukiya's Border Break series, though availability could be an issue there.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
UC-wise you've got maybe the GM Sniper II. AU=wise, one of the pirate mobile suits (G-Exes, Shaldoll, G-Xiphos) from AGE might work. 00 had some nice grunts too, but they're all kind of weird looking.

I'd recommend the Koto Frame Arms, but they're all 1/100.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
The GM Sniper II, GM Canon II, GM Striker, RX-77D Mass Produced Guncannon, Powered GM, GM Custom, Desert Nemo, Stark Jegan, are probably your cooler Feddie types.

Man, as a 1/100 guy you have no idea how much I'd love to get the GM Sniper II or Mass Produced Guncannon as a MG. In fact, I just want more 0080 suits. I love 0080 as a show, but it has some really rad mecha designs too. Hygogg. :swoon:

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Maybe try the Delta plus unless the transformation gimmick is too extreme. Jesta is my favorite design and that Delta comes close to looking as good.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Revitalized posted:

Anyone know if there's any other mecha model kits that resemble the RGM-96X Jesta? Kinda military-like, yet a bit more featured than a GM, but doesn't stand out so much like a Gundam. Ideally also 1/144 sized so they can all look the same on my desk, take a relatively short time to build and remain fairly cheap price-wise.

I was originally looking at the HGUC 1/144 Jesta Ecoas type but it's just a little too bare for me.
Might be a little too bare for you but I'm pretty sure the HG Loto twinpack would look rad as hell with that.

(They would look rad with anything, I need to remember to order one from HLJ when they get a restock.)

KoB
May 1, 2009
Has anyone here put together some of the more recent Super Robot War Kotobukiya kits? Specifically looking at Granzon, Soulgain, Blaster, and CompiKaiser among others.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I know I keep asking lots of dumb poo poo about airbrushes but is there a specific one on this site that stands out a gold star highly recommended brush?

http://www.tcpglobal.com/ I'm looking at the badger patriot and the Masters, but there's like a million Masters and so many of them seem identical.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Picked up the YMT-05 Hidolfr at the gundam base in korea. I can't wait to get started on this guy. Just need my hands to work first. Carpal tunnel is a bitch. Surprisingly, you need sensation to be able to build models.

SHOVEL ARMS!

Only thing better would be a master grade Xamel.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
IMO Badger stuff is either bad or pretty good, not top of the line. Priced and made for hobbyists, not pros. The big selling point for me is the warranty and repair process. If you are basecoating and doing some larger shading the patriot is a great choice. At that price I would much rather go Iwata http://www.amazon.com/Iwata-Hp-Air-Brush-Gun/dp/B000BQ8BUO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1384992152&sr=8-3&keywords=IWATA+HP-C The needle and nozzle are set up for spraying model paints. The patriot is going to use paint faster and put down a heavier spray.
Check craigslist, there are always people in my area selling airbrushes.

I dont like the kits, you save money by buying separately and not paying for paints you wont use.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I won't be buying a kit, just the brush. I was looking at this Iwata earlier, the CR. http://www.tcpglobal.com/airbrushdepot/irevo.aspx#IWA4247

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A lot of the charts and intended usage guides are misleading or intentionally obtuse. The bodies are all pretty much the same. The triggers, nozzles and needles are different. I took parts from a $500 iwata and put them in a $100 body and it worked perfectly. The CR says it has a larger spray pattern, but the BR has the finer nozzle. The usage chart say the opposite of what the parts say. The BR is actually the finer detail brush.
The CR you linked will have a spray volume and pattern similar to a spray can. Saving some time but limiting the detail you can do. Get the BR

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Nov 21, 2013

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
So what's the difference between the BR and the HP-C?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
they are functionally the same with different bodies. The HP-C has a larger cup
The HP series is more popular and has easier to find add-on parts like trigger pads and crown tips. Its also possible to use the ultra detail parts from the higher end HP's

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I see, I see, thank you!

As far as hoses go, they all seem to be the same to me. Since I'll be running off of a large compressor, I'll grab a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter and I should be good to go, right?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yes for Iwata, a standard 1/8 hose will fit unlike many brands that make you buy an adapter. I would advise against a coiled hose unless you enjoy being gently pulled at all times. Get a moisture trap and regulator adjustable at least to single psi's. Definitely empty and drain the compressor before use.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Promising silouette there...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

And the next RG is going to be the Exia! I'm actually looking forward to that one.

https://twitter.com/hobbylink/status/403336098966806528/photo/1/

edit: HG Turn-A Gundam!

https://twitter.com/hobbylink/status/403345099725086720/photo/1

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 21, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

There is not nearly enough hype in this thread for MG TURN X.

Full announcement list:

Unicorn:
MG Unicorn Gundam 03 Phenex (probably as an exclusive, thank god)
HG FA Unicorn - Destroy Mode
HG Banshee Norn - Destroy Mode
HG Kshatriya Rebuild (or whatever Ribeeado is supposed to be)
HG Byarlant Custom (two different webshop exclusives)
HG Dreissen (Unicorn colors)
HG Doven Wolf (Unicorn colors)

00:
RG Gundam Exia
- RG Exia RI/RII/RIII are pretty much soft confirmed as eventual webshop exclusives too.
- A new RG frame is being made for it too, so expect to see the other Meisters.

Wing:
HG Wing Zero

Build Fighters:
MG Build Strike Full Package
MG Build Gundam mkII
MG Gundam Astray Sengokudo
HG Star Build Strike Gundam Plavsky Wing (sutaa birudo sutoraiku gundam burafusukii uingu)
HG Kampfer Master
HG Qubeley Papilion
HG GM Sniper K9 (this pretty much confirms Mihoshi is coming back).
SD Build Strike Full Package

Seed Destiny:
MG Destiny Impulse (as a webshop exclusive, as earlier mentioned)

Turn A:
:siren: MG TURN X :siren:
HG Turn A

Also on display was MG Sazabi vKa (turns out its effect parts are going to be green after all) and MG Gundam X (why are the solar panels blue aaaaah).

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Nov 21, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm gonna have to finally buy MG Turn A to go with Turn X. I've been meaning to get MG Turn A but it was sold out last time I went to buy it.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The announcements this season have been incredible across the board. Golden age poo poo going on here.

Possible downside: really not eager to see GBF take up a bunch of MG slots next year.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
A new kampfer gently caress yes :pcgaming:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
What do y'all use for your primers and top coats?

e: and I think it's "Repaired"

muike fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 21, 2013

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

There is not nearly enough hype in this thread for MG TURN X.

Full announcement list:

Unicorn:
MG Unicorn Gundam 03 Phenex (probably as an exclusive, thank god)
HG FA Unicorn - Destroy Mode
HG Banshee Norn - Destroy Mode
HG Kshatriya Rebuild (or whatever Ribeeado is supposed to be)
HG Byarlant Custom (two different webshop exclusives)
HG Dreissen (Unicorn colors)
HG Doven Wolf (Unicorn colors)

00:
RG Gundam Exia
- RG Exia RI/RII/RIII are pretty much soft confirmed as eventual webshop exclusives too.
- A new RG frame is being made for it too, so expect to see the other Meisters.

Wing:
HG Wing Zero

Build Fighters:
MG Build Strike Full Package
MG Build Gundam mkII
MG Gundam Astray Sengokudo
HG Star Build Strike Gundam Plavsky Wing (sutaa birudo sutoraiku gundam burafusukii uingu)
HG Kampfer Master
HG Qubeley Papilion
HG GM Sniper K9 (this pretty much confirms Mihoshi is coming back).
SD Build Strike Full Package

Seed Destiny:
MG Destiny Impulse (as a webshop exclusive, as earlier mentioned)

Turn A:
:siren: MG TURN X :siren:
HG Turn A

Also on display was MG Sazabi vKa (turns out its effect parts are going to be green after all) and MG Gundam X (why are the solar panels blue aaaaah).

This is a wallet-demolishing lineup.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

muike posted:

What do y'all use for your primers and top coats?

I use Army Painter color primers, Mr Hobby for flat, and Pledge for gloss.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The Mr. Hobby stuff is just like the clear flat smooth or whatever right? I know I'm a massive retard but it's like these dudes make a million paints. I've heard some people using Mr Surfacer for primer too, but I'd be kinda worried about it filling in panel lines and details.

e: Also MG Kshatriya in the wings? I didn't think they would bother.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

A good primer won't fill in panel lines/obscure surface detail, much like properly thinned paint.

Mr. Hobby makes a wide variety of drat near every modeling tool you can think of; if the product has a "Mr" in its name, they're behind it. When I say I use Mr Hobby flat coat, I mean I use Mr Top Coat Flat.

And no, MG Kshatriya is never happening. There's a third party (Elyn) 1/100 plastic kit, but reception has been mixed to say the least.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Looks like I undershot by about 20 MGs on when they'd roll out MG Turn X :argh:

Still, I'm excited, the Turn X is one of my favorite suits in all of gundam.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I will pay whatever the hell that want for that build fighter red frame. Also now I have a reason to finally get a Turn A.

muike posted:

e: Also MG Kshatriya in the wings? I didn't think they would bother.

I would also pay all my money for a MG bandai Kshatriya (after the dissapointing stories I heard about the 3rd party mob that did the 1/100 kshatriya earlier this year).

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

BlitzBlast posted:

A good primer won't fill in panel lines/obscure surface detail, much like properly thinned paint.

Mr. Hobby makes a wide variety of drat near every modeling tool you can think of; if the product has a "Mr" in its name, they're behind it. When I say I use Mr Hobby flat coat, I mean I use Mr Top Coat Flat.

And no, MG Kshatriya is never happening. There's a third party (Elyn) 1/100 plastic kit, but reception has been mixed to say the least.

I don't mind spray cans, but I was hoping I could get it in jar form.

And yeah as for the Kshatriya I saw the display for the Kshatriya Repaired and thought it said MG

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Brushing primer is a massive pain in the rear end, spray cans are pretty much the way to go. They usually come in big cans anyways (or at least Army Painter does).

Alternatively, wash, sand and then put down a base coat of flat black or white. That'll essentially do the same thing as a primer.

EDIT: V I guess you could try Vallejo Model Color's Foundation White? Mr Surfacer is airbrushable, but it needs to be very heavily thinned IIRC.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 21, 2013

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I'm getting an airbrush, no loving way am I handpainting primer.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Welp.

EDIT: I hope they troll everyone and announce All Char to go along All Gundam.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Nov 21, 2013

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

muike posted:

I'm getting an airbrush, no loving way am I handpainting primer.

Buy these two for primer and top coat, they will last you forever and dont need to be thinned for use
http://www.thewarstore.com/product67986.html
http://www.amazon.com/Johnson-11182-27oz-Pledge-Futureshine/dp/B000ARPH4C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385006357&sr=8-1&keywords=future+floor+wax

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

BlitzBlast posted:

EDIT: I hope they troll everyone and announce All Char to go along All Gundam.

"Trolling" implies there are not entire communities of gunota fervently writing blog posts about how much they would want such a thing/

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

How can I make the Future come out less shiny? Is there a way to add something to it to control the amount of gloss?

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Was hoping for a MG Jesta Cannon...

Speaking of that. How long do the Gunpla LED lasts on a single battery?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mr. stefan posted:

"Trolling" implies there are not entire communities of gunota fervently writing blog posts about how much they would want such a thing/

Every single gundam kit, rereleased in bright red! For triple the price!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

muike posted:

How can I make the Future come out less shiny? Is there a way to add something to it to control the amount of gloss?

You can mix it with Tamiya Flat Base to get pretty much whatever you want, but honestly I'd just pick up a dedicated flat coat. More consistent. v:shobon:v

Weissritter posted:

Speaking of that. How long do the Gunpla LED lasts on a single battery?

They use LR41 watch batteries, so really long.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Nov 21, 2013

• Locked thread