Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

tehloki posted:

Warning: homestuck shibboleth

Wow, talk about accidentally authenticating myself into the worst club ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Agrikk posted:

ServerA ---(SQL data)--->ServerB

Please do the needful.

I'm cleaning up a 2003 SQL cluster that should've been retired two years ago. No one ever removed the storage or tore down all the retired cluster groups and resources when they were done. Nope, that would be too hard. Why should I care though, I'm bailing on this gig in a couple weeks.

:smithicide:

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Agrikk posted:

QA should reflect Prod

:smith::hf::smith:

After two failed attempts to deploy a change to a live system because of differences between environments the change was put on hold while the infrastructure guys got the environments in sync. Took long enough that the replacement to the system is about to be rolled out so there's no point even deploying the change anymore.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

GoatShaver posted:

So I work for a pro sports team, and I get a call asking me to check out some ipads that are set up for public use, as a kiosk, to only access a newspaper. Between losing my mind because people keep finding/using pins to jam into the home button, which will also them to close the kiosk software (what?) apparently an iOS update broke restrictions which led to someone adding a personal email account to the device. In public. At a sports venue. Then, queue outrage as very quickly this person realized that, oh hey, it won't let me remove my account!
I don't have PMs, but if you contact me at username @ gmail.com (so that we can move this to more work-emaily channels) we should probably talk. Seriously.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
So there's this PC that is being put to sleep every night. Recently it started going to sleep around 7 o'clock for no apparent reason. Event Viewer says "Sleep Reason: Application API" which is the same as for any other sleep event. It doesn't happen always, but frequently. Is there any way to find out what is causing it? Because usually the machine backs up till 3, then is started at 6 and left for RDP over the day and not used until 8. Curiously, today it went to sleep immediately after being brought out of it.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
our mssql, mysql and oracle teams are now combined.

Historically, i've mostly done oracle and mssql. Whenever i need a private interconnect for oracle (for heartbeat, cluster stuff) I have always connected it via a switch. It's just better and safer and makes sense.

Apparently the mssql guys just connect servers directly together, sans switch. Which is fine, really.

But today, I just had a call for a 3 node oracle cluster and the mssql guy is telling me "ABSOLUTELY NO SWITCH! WE HAVE TO CONNECT THEM DIRECTLY TOGETHER."

I'll just sit back and let the fail become evident, but jesus.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Today it's the "divine out from the ether what I wanted" day, between the tasks such as:

- Enable the google analytics for this webpage from SEO (how the hell can I know their account number, you guys are in charge of this, and it's not the first time you're giving me this)
- Change the content on the page to something else (and what that something else can be?)

And best of all:
- Statistics module needs to be customizable (as in - it needs to do everything)

canis minor fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Nov 21, 2013

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

nitrogen posted:

our mssql, mysql and oracle teams are now combined.

Historically, i've mostly done oracle and mssql. Whenever i need a private interconnect for oracle (for heartbeat, cluster stuff) I have always connected it via a switch. It's just better and safer and makes sense.

Apparently the mssql guys just connect servers directly together, sans switch. Which is fine, really.

But today, I just had a call for a 3 node oracle cluster and the mssql guy is telling me "ABSOLUTELY NO SWITCH! WE HAVE TO CONNECT THEM DIRECTLY TOGETHER."

I'll just sit back and let the fail become evident, but jesus.

Nice, I would want to be in the room when they try to wire that up.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

jre posted:

Nice, I would want to be in the room when they try to wire that up.

They want to wire it in a mesh. They just asked me to order 4 port nics.

I've told them to eat poo poo and we're using a switch like we always do, and they are adamant that it wont work. I think it's because they have not historically been smart enough to make sure the vlans are made in such a way that jumbo frames work.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
Extra bit of fun today..

It looks like the Sr/Account lead removed the WSUS role from the deployment server but didn't remove the GPO telling all of the other servers to get their updates only from the WSUS.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

blackswordca posted:

Extra bit of fun today..

It looks like the Sr/Account lead removed the WSUS role from the deployment server but didn't remove the GPO telling all of the other servers to get their updates only from the WSUS.

Is this the same guy who ran away to cuba?

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Khisanth Magus posted:

Is this the same guy who ran away to cuba?

In fact, it is

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

blackswordca posted:

In fact, it is

I wonder how long before that place bursts into flames once you finally get another job.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Khisanth Magus posted:

I wonder how long before that place bursts into flames once you finally get another job.

You say that like it wouldn't be practically immediate.

KweezNArt
Jul 30, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

You say that like it wouldn't be practically immediate.

I have this Michael Bay-like mental image of blacksword walking cooly out of the front door, putting on a set of shades, and in the background windows are exploding out from the floors above. His former manager runs by, on fire. Blacksword walks on, stoic, unflinching at the chaos unfolding behind him.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

KweezNArt posted:

I have this Michael Bay-like mental image of blacksword walking cooly out of the front door, putting on a set of shades, and in the background windows are exploding out from the floors above. His former manager runs by, on fire. Blacksword walks on, stoic, unflinching at the chaos unfolding behind him.

Ill be honest, I feel sorry for the guy that will replace me when I leave. I know who it is as he is supposed to be my backup so I can actually take vacation time, but management at the main office wont let him come over here so I can train him.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

nitrogen posted:

They want to wire it in a mesh. They just asked me to order 4 port nics.

I've told them to eat poo poo and we're using a switch like we always do, and they are adamant that it wont work. I think it's because they have not historically been smart enough to make sure the vlans are made in such a way that jumbo frames work.

GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGAAAAAAAAAH. Not using a switch IS the hard way :psyduck:

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Agrikk posted:

When I mentioned company policy that QA should reflect Prod for deployment, testing and troubleshooting purposes, I was told that the two environments would be brought in sync "later, maybe Q2 2014".

Ahaha

Some people really don't seem to understand What Things Do

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

blackswordca posted:

Ill be honest, I feel sorry for the guy that will replace me when I leave. I know who it is as he is supposed to be my backup so I can actually take vacation time, but management at the main office wont let him come over here so I can train him.

When you leave, we need to buy him an account.

Good lord how on earth does your walking shitstorm of a "Senior" even loving breathe on his own?

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Paladine_PSoT posted:

When you leave, we need to buy him an account.

Good lord how on earth does your walking shitstorm of a "Senior" even loving breathe on his own?

I'm not sure if it's a general idiot thing or don't care because they know I'll fix it eventually.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

KweezNArt posted:

I now want to change blackswordca's avatar to :dukedog:

Or maybe Martin Lawrence in a fat suit, superimposed in front of an explosion.

KweezNArt
Jul 30, 2007

coyo7e posted:

I now want to change blackswordca's avatar to :dukedog:

Or maybe Martin Lawrence in a fat suit, superimposed in front of an explosion.

The text underneath:

They thought they could do it without him.
THEY WERE WRONG.

Or some equally good or better tag line. I'm not as good at this as I used to be.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
Need somebody who has a good memory of the past iteration of this thread...

There was discussion of using this special software to fully moron-proof a computer... It was called "Black Ice" or "Permafrost" something along those lines... Basically a person can boot a computer, do whatever the hell they want, then, after a restart, the machine is zeroe'd back to an unmolested unmodifiable image that I as the IT admin get to create.

I need to implement something like this for a workstation which, no matter what my boss or I do, after 2-3 weeks will render itself completely unable to rejoin our domain. I won't go into those details because they make me cry inside. (Even after installing a completely different machine the problems persist. Other machines in the same room which are used for identical tasks do not have this issue.)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Deep Freeze

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...

Caged posted:

Deep Freeze

That's the ticket. Thank you, sir.

cripes $660

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Didn't MS have one for XP called Windows Steady State?
I think they discontinued it unfortunately when Vista or 7 came out as the management options built in to the OS supposedly made it redundant.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

drukqs posted:

I need to implement something like this for a workstation which, no matter what my boss or I do, after 2-3 weeks will render itself completely unable to rejoin our domain. I won't go into those details because they make me cry inside. (Even after installing a completely different machine the problems persist. Other machines in the same room which are used for identical tasks do not have this issue.)

When you're emotionally read for this I'd love to hear the details on this problem.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
Today I was the stupid one and about 1200 tickets went out... in 15 minutes. To our clients. Calling their customers dumb. I was testing a CRM with an account of a previously fired employee.

Luckily almost all of it was caught by spam filters and most were sent to coworkers so we only got about 2 calls about it. I felt the need to tell people how dumb I am.

Today was not my finest day.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
There's steadier state, which is free. I've never used it myself, so I can't say how easy or effective it is.

Maniaman
Mar 3, 2006

drukqs posted:

That's the ticket. Thank you, sir.

cripes $660

I think the $660 price is for a 10-pack. If you're associated with a library or edu you should be able to get a hefty discount if you contact their sales team. You may also be able to get a single license if you contact them.

edit: The Standard version is around $45 for a single copy

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Deep Freeze Standard is $45 a license.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

drukqs posted:

Need somebody who has a good memory of the past iteration of this thread...

There was discussion of using this special software to fully moron-proof a computer... It was called "Black Ice" or "Permafrost" something along those lines... Basically a person can boot a computer, do whatever the hell they want, then, after a restart, the machine is zeroe'd back to an unmolested unmodifiable image that I as the IT admin get to create.

You could probably do this now with Powershell 4's Desired State Configuration on Win 8.1.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Nondescript Van posted:

Today I was the stupid one and about 1200 tickets went out... in 15 minutes. To our clients. Calling their customers dumb. I was testing a CRM with an account of a previously fired employee.

Luckily almost all of it was caught by spam filters and most were sent to coworkers so we only got about 2 calls about it. I felt the need to tell people how dumb I am.

Today was not my finest day.

At least it wasn't as bad as the day some poor bastard at Redmond was having: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=6778042

Despite our platform using Azure for some things, we managed to not be affected by it. Hooray for apps caching DNS results!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Varkk posted:

Didn't MS have one for XP called Windows Steady State?
I think they discontinued it unfortunately when Vista or 7 came out as the management options built in to the OS supposedly made it redundant.

Guest Mode?

But sadly, I think even though it was in there and working, it got pulled.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Nov 22, 2013

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Caged posted:

See if you can get him to buy the Barco ClickShare. It's an amazing piece of kit, and all resellers will happily ship you a demo unit.

To drag this back up, I've had an email from one of our account guys and the price of the original unit has dropped, and there's also a smaller unit that only does one display available now for under $2000.

http://www.barco.com/en/Products-So...ting-rooms.aspx

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

A bunch of tickets came in.

The Sr tech moved the personal folders for all of this clients employees ...in the middle of the work day... without making any adjustments to GPO mapping.

Edit: And here is the conversation I just had with him.

:colbert: Why did you move the user folders in the middle of the day?
:aaa: I saw the hard drive was getting full so I needed to free up space
:colbert: Its a VM, why didn't you just extend the drive
:aaa: the server needs to be shut down for that.
:colbert: There is still 35 GB free on the server, why not schedule an outage on the weekend to extend the drive?

Still waiting for a reply to my question

Edit 2: Turns out he was moving the data to the NAS I posted about earlier this week that was giving hardware faults in the windows event log... the one I told him was giving hardware faults

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Nov 22, 2013

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

blackswordca posted:

A bunch of tickets came in.

The Sr tech moved the personal folders for all of this clients employees ...in the middle of the work day... without making any adjustments to GPO mapping.

Seriously, how have these incompetant morons even managed to get jobs, let alone keep them? And Sr level jobs at that?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It sounds like you work where I used to. My boss decided to implement quotas in the middle of the day and decided to give each quota amount a different file share so if a user needed an upgraded quota all their file paths had to be updated as well. Then he moved everyone's stuff around into these new shares.

The best part about this was that he couldn't work out how to target GPOs to do folder redirection so ended up shoving a variable into the folder redirection GPO and then using this in a logon script to set the paths based on what the home folder was set to. Then the GPO refreshed and broke everything. It was a glorious sight to behold.

When I left I think the fix was to have group policy not refreshing. He is now the only person running IT.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Caged posted:

To drag this back up, I've had an email from one of our account guys and the price of the original unit has dropped, and there's also a smaller unit that only does one display available now for under $2000.

http://www.barco.com/en/Products-So...ting-rooms.aspx

Thank you. I showed the demo to the CEO who immediately wanted it. That makes my job easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoatShaver
Nov 12, 2010

Caged posted:

When I left I think the fix was to have group policy not refreshing. He is now the only person running IT.

Ahaha what?! My god. This profession, I swear.

• Locked thread