Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

hubris.height posted:

yeah it was the most enjoyable part of the last dune novel ever written©. the whole genetic breeding program and its thousand+ year effects was some of the best parts of the series, especially because the first book and second book were basically sand planet psychic children: the books.

i say this every time there is dune chat but the books are really a fun read because they go through an asimov-esque shock of there is no such thing as the personal computer to computers are a thing that exist (and it dunes case they are to be feared, possibly because of the author's fear of new technology in his growing age)

computers were always banned in the dune setting. computers were around, albeit in the form of filling whole rooms, when Herbert wrote the first Dune in 1965.

contrast with asimov who wrote the Foundation books in like the mid-40s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

contrast with asimov who wrote the Foundation books in like the mid-40s

fair enough, however, the first dune book doesn't readlike it has any idea what the butlerian jihad was. like he fleshed it out and figured it out more toward the 60s in children of dune. it seems like only as the series went on and time passed that he decided that it was a war against robots. he never expounds on it, or implies any details about it in the first or second books to my recollection, merely mentions that these were things that happened.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

hubris.height posted:

fair enough, however, the first dune book doesn't readlike it has any idea what the butlerian jihad was. like he fleshed it out and figured it out more toward the 60s in children of dune. it seems like only as the series went on and time passed that he decided that it was a war against robots. he never expounds on it, or implies any details about it in the first or second books to my recollection, merely mentions that these were things that happened.
wrong, the first book specifically mentions "thinking machines" in both its main text and its glossary. also it was written in 1965 while children of dune was 1976.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i stand corrected. while reading the book i never really was struck by the idea of terminator esque robots being behind the jihad.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

hubris.height posted:

i stand corrected. while reading the book i never really was struck by the idea of terminator esque robots being behind the jihad.

that was kinda dumb bet so was everything else in the prequels

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
The Butlerian Jihad and any mention of it exist for one reason, to explain the need for mentats. Every book has a throwaway line about it, along with how lasguns and personal shields don't mix which is why they fight with swords.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

hubris.height posted:

i saw a broken Shai-Hulud
i bought a broken Shai-Hulud

bought a sweet still suit
then i bought a thumper

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

hubris.height posted:

i don't think you're that corrected. the butlerian jihad was always about the war on "thinking machines" but i don't think frank ever said anything specific about literal killbots walking around. that was all brian herbert's trip.

everyone should really read through god emperor though because that's really where herbert's thesis behind dune takes off. the first four books are a really interesting deconstruction (lol) of the hero myth and its implications in how we choose our leaders, culminating in leto ii's literal creation of a humanity with no need or desire for Great Men(tm). the last two books don't really expand on those ideas in any interesting way.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
also you get to find out leto ii had a giant fake worm dong made but the ladies didn't like it much

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

If this goes badly, and I make a crater, I want it named after me!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLbzW79CB6w

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

how come people sleeping in hypersleep capsules dont slowly suffocate from their own fart gas

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I assume they use active ventilation of some kind

space living in the real world has the same sort of problems; if there isn't a fan blowing on a sleeping person then their exhaled co2 will collect in a cloud around their mouth and suffocate them

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
on the same neil tyson podcast where they talked about gravity he asked his astronaut guest whether it was possible to use farting for propulsion in zero gravity and he said it did not work very well

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Monkeyseesaw posted:

everyone should really read through god emperor though because that's really where herbert's thesis behind dune takes off.

really this.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

astronaut adventures

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
they should get the guy who did aeon flux to whip up some weird dune poo poo

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Monkeyseesaw posted:

also you get to find out leto ii had a giant fake worm dong made but the ladies didn't like it much

plz explain

i thought he was just a face sticking out of a giant wormbody

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

plz explain

i thought he was just a face sticking out of a giant wormbody

he considers having one made because everyone asks if he has one

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

c PoI s:

piss

PIIISSSSS

piissssssss...

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Enter Char posted:

he considers having one made because everyone asks if he has one

I've never felt bad about my decision to stop after book 2, should have stopped after book 1

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

TOOT BOOT posted:

I've never felt bad about my decision to stop after book 2, should have stopped after book 1

dune is one of the best sci-fi series of all time you cretin.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

SmokaDustbowl posted:

they should get the guy who did aeon flux to whip up some weird dune poo poo

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Improbable Lobster posted:

dune is one of the best sci-fi series of all time you cretin.

it really does take a nose dive after the first book. the second two are better than the last 3 but it doesn't mean they are good

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
never read dune. works for me

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
i read a dune by dune guy's son.

it was god awful

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Amethyst posted:

it really does take a nose dive after the first book. the second two are better than the last 3 but it doesn't mean they are good

yeah really it gets too much into cloney ghola poo poo or whatever

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
reading the first dune novel and then stopping is perfectly legit

would that more sf and fantasy novels were that standalone these days

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
i put off reading the first dune way too long, and when i finally finished it i was mad i hadnt read it earlier

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Heresiarch posted:

true

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

BANME.sh posted:

i put off reading the first dune way too long, and when i finally finished it i was mad i hadnt read it earlier

same

but i would encourage people to keep reading after the first book. i think the ghoula and genetics was some of the more interesting aspects of the novels and that's definitely what becomes the primary focus, especially at book 4 which i think is the climax of the whole thing

never read a brian herbert book btw

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Heresiarch posted:

but then authors would run out of money and ideas (mostly money)

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
its never too soon to stop reading dune sequels

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The way I pictured the Butlerian Jihad was that it was basically a fatwah on computers because it made people mentally lazy and reliant on machines (lol social commentary), which fits into the whole breeding program thing the BG had going on. Interesting conceptually but you'd be hard pressed to write a space epic about space luddites.

A literal war on machines is lol tho.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

NoneMoreNegative posted:

c PoI s:

piss

PIIISSSSS

piissssssss...

yeah. kind of expected tho

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also I ended up watching lost girl and its amazingly bad. not just bad writing, but everything is so sub par and canadian. it must suck for non-americans cause anyone whos any good at anything (like tv/movies) moves to America.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

hubris.height posted:

same

but i would encourage people to keep reading after the first book. i think the ghoula and genetics was some of the more interesting aspects of the novels and that's definitely what becomes the primary focus, especially at book 4 which i think is the climax of the whole thing

never read a brian herbert book btw

i agree with you but most people are probably okay stopping after the third book

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

basically paul's story spans books 1-3 while the golden path story spans books 1-4.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

ol qwerty bastard posted:

well frank herbert isn't infallible. he created some great things like "dune" and "dune messiah", but he also created some crappy things like "chapterhouse: dune" and "brian herbert"

nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

duTrieux. posted:

i agree with you but most people are probably okay stopping after the third book

most people are ok stopping after the first book. the second two (and following 3) are obsessed with a Big Idea" that turns out to be a really outdated and simplistic view of cultural stagnation

• Locked thread