Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I dunno, that sounds like typical Somchai behavior. "Oh poo poo there's a problem" :panic without thinking: Still more will come out about what actually happened - or not. This is, after all, Thailand, heh. Any press that could affect tourism is heavily suppressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

The shop owner responded on Thaivisa

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/682032-boat-captain-abandons-novice-us-divers-in-middle-of-the-ocean-in-thailand/page-6

quote:

I've just joined this forum to post a reply. I am the owner of this dive company this story is about.

Firstly I'd like to say that I can not believe that this have made international news. Please don't believe everything that you read in the american news or the daily mail for that matter.

I would like to explain myself and my company. We have a 100% safety record in our shop and pride ourselves in this.

So some of the events in the story did happen. Our boat did breakdown but at know point did our captain abandon anyone. It is not a common occurrence that our boat breaks down but he have strict set procedure in place so that if something happens all our customers are safe.

During the dive the captain was having battery problems on the boat. The customers in article insisted on seeing sharks so we went to that site. On that dive site there is no buoy lines to moor up on and we can not drop an anchor as it is a national marine park and could damage coral.

The captain is employed with us and is a good captain and he followed the procedures correctly. When he realised that he could not fix the boat he called back to our manager at the dive shop who organised another boat to collect them. We radioed another boat that we knew was in the area to go and collect the divers.

This did take a little bit time around 30 minutes in total.

The instructor who was with the customers has been diving in Thailand for over 10 years and knows the shop procedures. So knew they would be fine and was assuring the divers this.

There were shark in the water as the divers requested us to go to the shark site but the sharks in question are Black Tip Reef sharks. If you don't know your sharks they range from around 50cm-150cm and live on small reef fish. There has never been a known attack from these types of shark as they are quite timid creatures and scared of divers.

So at no time was anyone in danger of getting attacked by a shark!

When climbing onto the other boat that arrived the collect the divers unfortunately the lady in the video did slip. She hit her chin on the boat and we are very sorry about this. Our dive shop has medical insurance so we told the divers to go to the hospital to have a look at her chin and used the medical insurance through the dive shop to cover the costs.

As you can see this was not our most perfect day out diving but all my staff followed the correct procedure to ensure the safety of these divers.

We apologised to the customers and explained everything to them. They said they understood what had happen but at know point did they say they felt "abandoned at sea"

I am just guess when they got home they wanted there 5 minutes of fame. It is just unfortunate that there limelight brings such a bad name to the diving in thailand and to my shop.

Diving standard in thailand are very high compared with other part of the world and at our shop we stick to these high standard.

I can't actually believe that I have to reply and defend my shop and diving in Thailand to such a ridiculous article.

I don't believe for a second that they have "strict set procedure in place" for something like this but the rest of it rings pretty true to me. Anyway although it was a pretty bad thing that these people were out in the middle of the ocean without knowing what the hell was happening, dive equipment includes a BCD, which keeps you fully buoyant on the surface, so it's hardly a problem to stay afloat for a half hour (or even several hours). The whole shark thing is really ridiculous - like this guy says, blacktip reef sharks are not dangerous at all.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

I just read about this somewhere else and a comment said it was a longtail iirc so it's not definitely a case of miscounting.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, they were in a bit of a weird situation, but everyone has to be Indiana Jones back home for some reason. I can buy that.

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
So, last year my travel plans went a little screwy and I ended up doing an extremely abbreviated trip to Cambodia; like one evening and morning in Phnom Penh, the better part of a day spent in travel to Siem Reap, and then I think like 2.5 days biking around Angkor Wat.

This year, I'm trying to decide if I want to shoot down to Bangkok and see Thailand for the first time, or if I want to go back to Cambodia and try and see/do the stuff I missed.

I've got about 3 weeks of vacation, and I'm traveling solo so I can be pretty efficient/flexible about what I do and where I go. I'm not too worried about packing in a world of sights/activities/etc. I just want to go somewhere warm, eat some good food, blow off some steam, maybe get down to the ocean.

Any thoughts?

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008
Well, yesterday was one of those "that sucked, but could have been a lot worse" type days. Lots of flooding here in central Vietnam, and a 9 hour train ride took over 20. Meanwhile, hoi an (my next destination) got about 2 feet of flooding. Remarkably, things look pretty much back to normal here. In a way, I'm glad I did arrive super late, as I pretty much avoided any hassles with the flood

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

How is southern Vietnam in December? Trying to figure out how many days I should give myself in Vietnam before my flight and I don't want to get stuck somewhere by flooding and not get to Saigon by the 11th :ohdear:

I'd like to go up to Hoi An/Danang too before I leave but if it gets a lot of flooding, I'll pass on that.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Anyone have a decent list of places that are lovely to visit right now because of Haiyan damage?

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Dear Malaysia: I do not want to hear a small choir singing silent night in a shopping mall in mid-November. Also Santa Claus probably shouldn't be listening to Auld Lang Syne. In mid-bloody November.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Apparently you've never been to the US. The last time I was there, the "Christmas creep" seeped into some stores before Halloween, even.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Christmas season in the Philippines starts at the "-ber" months, and sometimes even before. It's subtle at first: old-timey Christmas songs on the radio, etc. And then suddenly you're in a sea of green, red, and white.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Most big box stores in the US put out Christmas lawn poo poo along with Halloween poo poo now. The aisle will be 3/4ths Halloween and 1/4 Christmas and in New York there might be some Hanukkah kitsch stuck in there too.

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008

Tomato Soup posted:

How is southern Vietnam in December? Trying to figure out how many days I should give myself in Vietnam before my flight and I don't want to get stuck somewhere by flooding and not get to Saigon by the 11th :ohdear:

I'd like to go up to Hoi An/Danang too before I leave but if it gets a lot of flooding, I'll pass on that.

Flooding shouldnt be a problem in december- a fair few of the streets are flooded in hoi an at the moment, and it's more of a spectacle than a nuisance. According to the locals, the monsoon is almost over.

I've been pretty firmly on the tourist trail here in SE Asia, but Hoi An has to be the most touristy of them all; I'd say the best way to describe it is like the SE Asian Colonial Williamsburg. Despite the fact that I almost always hate places like this, I'm actually having a decent time. Hoi An is less of a place where you go to see what life in vietnam is like, and more of a place where you can take pictures of cool stuff and see really nice architecture.

If you end up in hoi an, go to bale well restaurant. It has a bit more of a local vibe than most places in the town center, although there were definitely tourists quite a few tourists eating there. That being said, the ladies working there were awesome, and the food was great. Like a lot of Vietnamese food, it's a bit DIY: you take grilled pork, mixed greens, banh xeo (its a crepe that I think is made out rice flour?), and fried shrimp rolls, wrap it in rice paper, you dip it in mystery sauce. All the foreigners suck at making the rolls, so the ladies at the restaurant sit there and help you out. A bit pricey (100k not including drinks), but worth it given the staff and the huge portions- they WILL make you finish it.

As for other places north of Saigon, Mui ne wasn't great: the beach was so-so, and the crowd was mostly honeymooners and Russian families. I kind of liked nha trang, which says a lot considering the fact that it was raining the whole time. I really like vietnam so far, maybe because the tourist trail is a bit less developed than Thailand? Or it's easier to get off the beaten path?

Don't know how much time you have in vietnam, but transport is slow here, and flights are a bit pricey. The scenery on the train was by far the most stunning I've seen thus far. Compared to a bus, the price is a fair bit steeper, but it's a lot less hair raising, and you have unlimited food/bathroom access. About 90% of the foreigners here get around via open tour bus, so the vibe is much more local. I did nha trang-danang; there's a bus you can take to hoi an that leaves near the train station, although due to the delays caused by the floods, we got in too late to catch it.

So yeah, probably way more info than you wanted.

Brimmy
Jan 13, 2006

"Never gonna give it up, Adrian."
If you're still in Hoi An do yourself a favour and go to Cafe 43. It's by far the best food I've ever had anywhere and some of the cheapest. They do a cooking course and I swear I've never eaten as well as I have there.

duckmaster posted:

There is a bar in Siem Reap called Tuk Tuk Bar which is basically just a tuk tuk converted into a bar. Original.

On this theme I want to buy an old railway carriage in Thailand and somehow have it transported to Siem Reap whereupon I will open Railway Bar.

This must be possible and somebody here must know how to do it. Where can I buy a carriage? My budget is US$2000 not including transport; it will be cheap to renovate in Siem Reap as I don't need to worry about it actually going on tracks, so condition is largely unimportant.

There was a bar where I used to live here in Korea that was just a bus on some cinder blocks called "Bus bar". If you can't get a railway carraige that'd probably be cheaper as long as you don't mind getting sued for copyright infringement. :newlol:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
That's a big trendy thing here in Bangkok. Like little VW buses with a window in the side that cranks open and there's a bar inside. They tend to leave the wheels on, which is helpful as you can just put the stools inside and drive it off at the end of the night.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
drat, 31+ dead in central Vietnam and almost 100,000 houses flooded in Hoi An. Hopefully that's the last of this crazy rain season.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Escalatorchat: Imagine when they introduce these in South East Asia

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

Fairly sure there's some like that in the BKK airport. They scared me a bit, not gonna lie. The ones that allowed carts were pretty cool, why can't we have nice things like that in the states? :(

And I've been teaching people more insults, always fun when I see them out somewhere and they greet me by pointing at their buddy and signing the insult which confuses the buddy so they have to tell them what they just said then seeing the buddy's reaction is great.

The insult of the day was idiot - people kept asking me how to sign stuff like fat, beard, etc then immediately calling someone that + idiot :v:

On my boat today: bearded idiot, mustache idiot, fat/bald idiot, and prawn.

I love being able to insult people underwater :3:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Jeoh posted:

Escalatorchat: Imagine when they introduce these in South East Asia

It will be the end of pedestrian travel as we know it.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
This week on The Real World: Luang Prabang--

The party-crowd at Cold River Guesthouse has been sneaking back later and later past curfew, often smuggling moderately attractive (yet hygienically questionable) backpacker boys over the wall. Teachers were miffed when the new girl kept them awake three nights in a row with three different men, but now the neighbours are miffed with the racket on their quiet street. Police may become involved, and the program may get evicted from the house.

I'm really hoping this isn't as big a deal as it looks right now (I just got the balcony room I wanted) but I saw someone from staff and he's practically vibrating with stress. He isn't even angry, just panicked. The curfew isn't taken super-seriously usually, but I guess the town is a bit cranky over high-season starting.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I really don't know how things work there, and Vientiane is governed differently, but my friend who is married up there swears that they take all those dinky regulations about curfews and cohabiting and what not more seriously in Laos than in Thailand or Cambodia. The impression I got was that everything was managed on a block/neighborhood basis. Anyway, I dunno, he's not a fraidy kat ThaiViser type so I assumed he meant it.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

ReindeerF posted:

I really don't know how things work there, and Vientiane is governed differently, but my friend who is married up there swears that they take all those dinky regulations about curfews and cohabiting and what not more seriously in Laos than in Thailand or Cambodia. The impression I got was that everything was managed on a block/neighborhood basis. Anyway, I dunno, he's not a fraidy kat ThaiViser type so I assumed he meant it.

This bears out what I'm seeing. It wasn't a problem at all until the neighbours raised a fuss; now it's a Big Goddamn Deal in the space of a few words.

Sounds like their fuss was pretty reasonable, though. My room is at the back, so I don't hear poo poo, but apparently some of the girls who started two weeks ago have been hopping the fence every single night and not being very quiet about it. The neighbours don't like having strangers on their street after midnight, especially giggling ones who wake up the dogs. The dogs are all there in a guard-capacity, so when they start barking, people get stressed.

MystOpportunity
Jun 27, 2004
Just booked and will be in the region (arriving/departing from Bangkok) Dec 18 - Jan 4. Not sure if you guys make plans/meets, but am game to attend whatever.

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008
Can anyone recommend a shopping mall in hanoi with a decent selection of western brands that aren't outrageously upmarket? Soecifically, I'm looking to buy a new pair of sneakers. I'm headed home in a week, but my shoes are in such bad condition that I'm starting to feel like I'm part of the beer Chang singlet set

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
Anyone know if it's possible to cross into Laos from China? I wanna go in overland from Yunnan, but I don't see much on this. I know you can go Yunnan -> Vietnam -> Laos, but I'd prefer not to spend $65 on a Vietnamese visa when I'd just be passing through. I'm gonna have about 7 weeks to do whatever during Chinese New Year, and everyone has suggested getting out. I might even try getting into northern Burma from China.

Brimmy posted:

There was a bar where I used to live here in Korea that was just a bus on some cinder blocks called "Bus bar". If you can't get a railway carraige that'd probably be cheaper as long as you don't mind getting sued for copyright infringement. :newlol:

Vintage vehicles are expensive as gently caress in Thailand these days because they've gotten so popular (as has all vintage poo poo) and a lot of them are basically capital investments since they're turned into bars, etc. Old VW campers were going for $30k+ last time I looked, and Beetles for $10k.

Smeef fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Nov 19, 2013

kenner116
May 15, 2009

Smeef posted:

Anyone know if it's possible to cross into Laos from China? I wanna go in overland from Yunnan, but I don't see much on this. I know you can go Yunnan -> Vietnam -> Laos, but I'd prefer not to spend $65 on a Vietnamese visa when I'd just be passing through. I'm gonna have about 7 weeks to do whatever during Chinese New Year, and everyone has suggested getting out. I might even try getting into northern Burma from China.

Go to Xishuangbanna and check out China's piece of Southeast Asia, then catch a bus from Jinghong to Laos. Visas are available on arrival. The first city you stop in Laos will probably be Oudomxay or Luang Namtha. Oudomxay seemed boring but Luang Namtha is a nice little town with good trekking in the area.

I don't know anything about getting into Burma from China but I recommend spending at least a couple of days in Hsipaw. The train ride down to Pyin Oo Lwin is slow but a great experience. Burmese train rides are both interesting and exhausting.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

Hey Finch, Ian wanted me to pass this message on to you.

"Twat"

Also a guy who I've been calling ladyboy for ages thought it was a sign for something nice :v: he only just found out tonight what it actually meant. I swear I will get a video up soon of how to sign it.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I booked tickets into/out of Bangkok Jan 18-26. It's a short trip but it's all I had time for. Would it be reasonable to spend a night or two in Bangkok, make it down to Phuket and spend a few days there, and get back to Bangkok?

This thread is massively overwhelming. What are a few must see/eat/dos?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I have an 8 hour layover in Kuala Lumpur, any recommendations for one meal/dish that I should have and where to get it?

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

Laksa. I don't really know a good place in KL for it though :(

But go eat all the street food you can find, Malay food is loving amazing. What time will you be in KL? Because it was sorta quiet during the day food-wise all of the street food places popped up at night but I was there during Ramadan though.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Let me ask a lurker goon in KL. He's cool but can be a bit shy.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
My easily tourist-accessible recommendation would be Jalan Alor, the street food market in Bukit Bintang. Order curry laksa and nasi lemak.

Of course someone who actually lives there probably knows the best ________ location in a hawker mall somewhere else, heh.

The food down there's more limited in scope once you take out the Chinese and Indian food that's non-native. Still, it can be pretty interesting. Much closer to Indonesian or Filipino food in style, though much better than Filipino cuisine which is generally awful.

A lot of the popular dishes that come recommended in KL, like roti cenai or mee or whatever aren't Malay, so it depends on whether you want indigenous food or Chinese and Indian food as well, both of which are very good in KL. Granted, curry laksa is a tad fusion, but I believe it's indigenous - and very good.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Jslan Alor is a good call if you want Chinese food (though more Cantonese style than mainland). If you want Indian and Bukit Bintang seems easy to get to Nagasari does some pretty good tandoori, decent naan and quite good Malay dishes. If you're scared of eating outside in plastic chairs there's Lot 10 hutong, which is basically a food court in the basement of the Lot 10 shopping mall. The stuff there isn't bad and it's certainly easy if you're not sure what you want as you've got a load of places in front of you. If you want a slightly more Hawker experience, heading out the other side of Bukit Bintang station takes you to Sungei Wang mall, there's a hawker centre on the 4th floor with some decent stalls, by the back there's an almost restaurant type place that usually has a pretty good selection of Malay dishes but be aware it's a buffet with no menu so you can pick and choose (and then be charged depending on what you've taken) but probably won't know what half the stuff you've picked is.

Away from Bukit Bintang area, an option that could be fairly good/easy is Sri Nirwana in Bangsar. It's probably the most popular banana leaf restaurant in KL (basically everything is served on banana leaves rather than plates) and does some Malay dishes as well. If you're anywhere near lunch or dinner time there will be a queue but service is pretty fast so it shouldn't take that long. There's another one called Devi Corner quite nearby that is apparently just as good and a bit bigger.

Both Bukit Bintang and Bangsar are quite short trips from KL Sentral which you can get the airport express into in about 35-40 minutes. If there's 2 or 3 of you it might be easier and about as cheap (cheaper actually if there's more than 3) to get a taxi to take you directly to the place you choose though. If you're going to try Malay food and only have time for one thing I'd probably recommend Nasi Lemak (basically rice cooked in coconut oil with sambal, prawns, dried anchovies and a boiled egg, usually) but people here regard Indian and Chinese food as pretty much equally Malaysian as Malay food so feel free to enjoy curry and roti if you want.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Awesome Post MrNemo, are you still based in KL right now? I am tempted to visit you for a food tour over the weekend, we can do a mini goooooon meet.

Oh and where do you think is the best Beef Rendang? If I can have a everyday cheap hawker version and upscale food snob version that would be super awesome.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
I will definitely be in Bangkok on Tuesday 26th on Khao San with my little brother. His first time in Asia so there will be beer galore.

Who's in?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
There we go, from someone who actually knows the city. Ringo, add this poo poo to the OP!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Thanks everyone, especially reindeer and MrNemo! We have a place nearby here that does a (I'm sure terribly inauthentic) mee goreng and laksa so I can't wait to try something hopefully a little more authentic.

I will be there for lunch / late lunch. I will also be in Singapore and Hong Kong so i would definitely like to try these Malay dishes while I am there. My plan is to head into town via KLIA Express and then use a taxi to maximize time to get places.

There are 2 of us and usually I'm a much bigger fan of walking and exploring but with such short time I will maximize it via taxi.

Can't wait. Connecting and not staying longer will probably be a mistake once I am there!

Edit: definitely not scared of eating and sitting in plastic chairs. Everything I've read is that getting sick really isn't anything to worry about compared to other places I've traveled in South America. That's all true, yeah?

sellouts fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 21, 2013

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

^^^ yeah, I've only gotten sick in SEA so far once and that was me being an idiot and drinking the water in Vietnam. Compared to multiple times when I went to South America. Go to the busy stalls where you can see the food being cooked if you're worried about it. Ice isn't a problem here, the locals know to not use the water for ice. Singapore water is safe to drink though!

I'll probably be in Bangkok on Tuesday but I don't know if I'll survive a night out with duckmaster :cripes:

How are you two getting back to Siem Reap? I have to get out of Thailand by the 28th and I want to go directly to SR and I was thinking taking the government bus and getting an e-visa for a hassle free trip. But I just looked at Kayak and flights from BKK to SR are around $140, BKK-PNH around $115 which is tempting.

Less than a month until I go back home. I dreamed about eating a double-double at In-n-Out last night. I don't really want to go back but at the same time, I can't wait because double-doubles.

Tomato Soup fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Nov 21, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

sellouts posted:

Edit: definitely not scared of eating and sitting in plastic chairs. Everything I've read is that getting sick really isn't anything to worry about compared to other places I've traveled in South America. That's all true, yeah?
I have had food poisoning three times in the last eight years here and I eat on the street nearly every day. I also had food poisoning twice in my adult life in America, which was around 12 years, so it's a bit riskier here for sure than back home. Still, among expats I know, I never hear stories about people being sick and most tourists don't report much more than what amounts to the shits, though a lot of first time tourists do seem to get those. Still, having to run to the bathroom (for a guy) here isn't the absolute end of the world, it just isn't very fun. Lying on the bathroom floor retching is considerably closer to the end of the world in my experience.

The rule about eating somewhere that looks busy is generally a good one, not just because it's probably better, but because the food has less time to sit around and/or come in contact with poop.

You'll be fine - eat the ice!

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Nov 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008

ReindeerF posted:

My easily tourist-accessible recommendation would be Jalan Alor, the street food market in Bukit Bintang. Order curry laksa and nasi lemak.

Of course someone who actually lives there probably knows the best ________ location in a hawker mall somewhere else, heh.

The food down there's more limited in scope once you take out the Chinese and Indian food that's non-native. Still, it can be pretty interesting. Much closer to Indonesian or Filipino food in style, though much better than Filipino cuisine which is generally awful.

A lot of the popular dishes that come recommended in KL, like roti cenai or mee or whatever aren't Malay, so it depends on whether you want indigenous food or Chinese and Indian food as well, both of which are very good in KL. Granted, curry laksa is a tad fusion, but I believe it's indigenous - and very good.

KL food is a bit like Singaporean food: they've taken food from various immigrant groups and adapted it to their tastes.

Roti canai(or prata in Singapore) is awesome, especially if you can find someone that makes their own dough

xcdude24 fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Nov 21, 2013