Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I don't watch a lot of anime, but I gotta ask, is anime as heavily dominated by fansubbing conversations, and if not, what's the big difference between the two?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Well, there are more groups that sub anime, plus many anime get professional fansubs. With Toku, it's really just TVN and whoever else does it.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Rei_ posted:

I don't watch a lot of anime, but I gotta ask, is anime as heavily dominated by fansubbing conversations, and if not, what's the big difference between the two?

Not any more. Fansubbing anime is mostly pretty dead; it's basically only weird niche things that don't get licensed that don't just get official streams so fast that nobody bothers. As such, you tend to just get people editing the official subs for minor things like typesetting or adding/removing honorifics. Some other minor things too, depending on the people responsible. There is still a site that does fansub rating/comparison, but it's increasingly irrelevant.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

AzraelNewtype posted:

Not any more. Fansubbing anime is mostly pretty dead; it's basically only weird niche things that don't get licensed that don't just get official streams so fast that nobody bothers. As such, you tend to just get people editing the official subs for minor things like typesetting or adding/removing honorifics. Some other minor things too, depending on the people responsible. There is still a site that does fansub rating/comparison, but it's increasingly irrelevant.

On occasion the official Subbers get things out and out wrong (the occurrences are getting progressively rarer though), so the groups that tend to do edits of those subs pick up the slack and fix those mistakes.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Xelkelvos posted:

On occasion the official Subbers get things out and out wrong (the occurrences are getting progressively rarer though), so the groups that tend to do edits of those subs pick up the slack and fix those mistakes.

Okay? Sure. The point is, there's not a hell of a lot of debate among anime fans about fansub quality anymore. It's mostly just toku. I assume JDrama will hit this point in about three more years, given their usual distance behind the curve.

TheGreenAvenger
Jun 23, 2005

I killed Chin the Conqueror.
And then there's precure subs. Why have you forsaken me, pros????

Oh well, at least I know what they actually mean. :v:

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
So the TV-N roast for episode 5 is out and they have a lot of things to say, but I'm not here to talk about that.

I'm wondering what video game is being advertised, here, because I must find out more about each and every Kamen Rider shovelware game that exists, on the off-chance that one of them is actually good. Are they making a third All Kamen Riders beat-'em-up game?

And speaking of which, has anyone played Lost Heroes? I was wondering if it's any good, and if, like a lot of Banpresto games, it can be played decently enough even if you don't know japanese.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Well I finally got around to watching Super Hero Wars Z. It was...well yeah it was less bad than the first, definitely. But still not really good. Maybe one day they'll make one that's actually good?

This did have some good stuff in it though, Beet's appearance was great, and Fourze being confused as to why Inazuman called him teacher was awesome too. Although...I thought Inazuman was from the future, so he shouldn't actually have been there...but I guess I shouldn't think about it too much. Also disappointing he didn't stick around for the later fight.

But there was just so much still terrible about it. Skydyne/Groundyne had absolutely no reason to be there, I guess they just decided to throw them in because they had the suits? They didn't even have any interaction between them and Fourze either, they could have at least not had Fourze in the same place as them so it didn't seem weird for them to not interact. The Psyclone thing was dumb and boring and maybe could have been redeemed if he had been used as another reboot of a previous hero (like they did with Inazuman) but in the end it didn't amount to anything.

And seeing Shadowmoon of all characters getting taken down by the Kyoryugers was just disappointing. They did a great job of making him a threat and then he just goes down like nothing. I know that's pretty standard for stuff like this but it was still bad. It's also annoying when characters have noticeably different voices. I realize it's not feasible for them to get everyone back, and I wouldn't expect it for the previous Sentai teams or anything, and yeah I know they're not going to get Masahiro Inoue to come back to voice two sentences but it's still distracting when Fourze and Meteor sound right and then Decade and OOO sound nothing like they should.

I mean still enjoyed watching it, it was a good way to spend an hour and a half but it's still disappointing they didn't make something better.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Fred is on posted:

I'm wondering what video game is being advertised, here, because I must find out more about each and every Kamen Rider shovelware game that exists, on the off-chance that one of them is actually good. Are they making a third All Kamen Riders beat-'em-up game?
I'm pretty sure that's the new 3DS game, Kamen Rider Travelers Senki.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Dexie posted:

I'm pretty sure that's the new 3DS game, Kamen Rider Travelers Senki.

I just looked it up, and it actually does look pretty cool. I like that it seems to have an actual story and even uses the respective shows' support casts. One trailer includes a shot of the Riders all standing together in Kougami's office with the man himself, which is great. It only includes five series, but that means they can concentrate on fleshing out the few characters they have, rather than go with the bare minimum possible because they absolutely needed to include Kamen Rider J. Hopefully this game does well, and I'll be one step closer to my dream game... which is admittedly just Super Robot Wars with Kamen Riders.

Of course, since it's a japanese 3DS game and the console is region-locked, I won't get to play it, but still.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

Well I finally got around to watching Super Hero Wars Z. It was...well yeah it was less bad than the first, definitely. But still not really good. Maybe one day they'll make one that's actually good?

it's still distracting when Fourze and Meteor sound right and then Decade and OOO sound nothing like they should.

No joke? That was Gokai Silver's actor for Meteor's one line! He did so good I honestly thought it was a joke and they really did get Meteor's actor back. Red Buster did the voice over for Decade though and that...yeah that was off.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Really? drat I guess that shows how good of a job he did then because I definitely thought it was Meteor's original actor. He was probably also helped by the voice manipulation that Meteor had, which even if it hadn't been perfect may have covered that up somewhat, which is something that Decade and OOO didn't have.

I guess I can't fault them too much and besides the Super Hero Wars movies seem to be in their own little AU so it probably doesn't matter if they sound different (because they're alternate versions :v: ) but it's still distracting for the newer heroes. I've already accepted that say, Hibiki is never again going to sound like he did in the original series.

On another note, once again there was a scene of "Gokaigers transform into non Super Sentai forms, proceed to do nothing except immediately fire their finisher." Boooo. That's just disappointing.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I caught up on some Kyoryuger, and unless I missed it, which I probably did, nobody thought to mention ROBOT DINOSAUR TEARS?

That was basically the best thing. Good ol' Bragigas and his amazing theme.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Glorious.

RBX fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Nov 19, 2013

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

RBX posted:

Glorious.

Kyoryuger has some of the best filler episodes imaginable. I don't think I've ever seen another sentai do the revived monster plot so well.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I just want to say that the new album of Kyoryuger is wonderful, especially Bragigas' theme (and Torin's theme doesn't fall behind either!). I can't stand Amy's, though, but you can't win them all.

AesirSubs has the translations for almost all of the soundtrack too (all of the Carnivals, Solid Bullet, Bragigas and Torin, at least, and those are all you should care about. And the Amy song, I guess...). Just lacking Souji's, another great song (if not quite as great as Solid Bullet).

TheGreenAvenger
Jun 23, 2005

I'm sad they seemed to mistake Splash for Slash, though. The song has no reason whatsoever to be called splash and every reason to be called slash.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

TheGreenAvenger posted:

I'm sad they seemed to mistake Splash for Slash, though. The song has no reason whatsoever to be called splash and every reason to be called slash.
Oddly enough, the lyrics scans (page 3 & 4) properly say SLASH, but the song is named SPLASH. Oh well, it's easily fixed.

TheGreenAvenger
Jun 23, 2005

Uh oh trap sprung, I revealed myself as :filez:. Whoever put the track info on must have made a typo.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

This is a long shot, but if anyone can re-seed MFC's Megaranger 28-29 that's be appreciated.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

HKR posted:

This is a long shot, but if anyone can re-seed MFC's Megaranger 28-29 that's be appreciated.

That one may be the one they had to change the torrent file for. Try re downloading their torrent and starting it over. Failing that, I can stick the episodes in my public Dropbox and shoot you the links

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

jivjov posted:

That one may be the one they had to change the torrent file for. Try re downloading their torrent and starting it over. Failing that, I can stick the episodes in my public Dropbox and shoot you the links

I just downloaded the torrent today as I'm way behind on megaranger. I looks like a seed eventually came on though so my download is complete. Thanks!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

It always bugs me in body-switching episodes of shows when the characters still have their voices when they're in someone else's body. They should have the voice of whoever's body they have. I guess it's easier on the actors or something, and yeah I guess I can't appeal to realism in these kinds of shows but at the very least it means they wouldn't have to dub over each other's talking.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Kyoryuger movie spoilers!

Ohmygodohmygodohmygod!

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Thats really neat but I hope it doesn't mean that the Gokaigers return to steal the spotlight and shovel in a worthless cameo, I am really starting to wish we'd just go back to two team team-ups with the newest team debuting right at the end.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Cliff Racer posted:

Thats really neat but I hope it doesn't mean that the Gokaigers return to steal the spotlight and shovel in a worthless cameo, I am really starting to wish we'd just go back to two team team-ups with the newest team debuting right at the end.
Am I missing something that indicates the Kaigers in that image? The Zyurangers have been confirmed to return, so I thought this just meant that the Abarengers would be returning too for all Dino-reunion. Kyoryunion.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

So what, we've got Kyoryugers, Zyurangers, Abarangers, Go-Busters, and presumably an early-bird from Tokyuuger. That's a lot of rangers.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Am I missing something that indicates the Kaigers in that image? The Zyurangers have been confirmed to return, so I thought this just meant that the Abarengers would be returning too for all Dino-reunion. Kyoryunion.
You're missing nothing, since AbaRed and AbareBlue are also confirmed to appear, so those are the true Zyurangers and Abarangers. No Gokaiger here.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Oh, I didn't know that. Disregard my complaint then. Normally I'd be mad about even that but honestly I like them a lot and they never got to come back before so I am willing to treat it as a good thing.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Any excuse to see Daizyujin again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

He better talk. :colbert:

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Guess who else might be in the Kyoryuger movie?
Grifforzer GOLDAR!!!!

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
I'm really kinda confused with what they're doing with GARO. There's a new TV series with Kouga's son, then there's the six episode Zero miniseries, a movie starring Ryuga, and apparently an anime with solid writing credentials. That's one hell of a continuity clusterfuck. I AM pretty happy that the franchise is apparently doing well enough to warrant all this, but that's still a ton of shows from different timeframes.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_sw-QSpIAY

Gotenks0053
Sep 2, 2011
Goddamn that toy looks like poo poo.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Oh man, time to check the tokusatsu thread, it's been a whi-

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Why did they change the gimmick of the key logo folding out to the pirate one? :psyduck:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I can't wait to hear the most apathetic man in the world say "Final Wave."

Edit: Yes I know that sound is supposed to evoke Zordon it still sounds like poo poo.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I can't wait to hear the most apathetic man in the world say "Final Wave."

Edit: Yes I know that sound is supposed to evoke Zordon it still sounds like poo poo.

More like "Super Mega Slash" and "Super Mega Blast." Which is a shame since Gokai Scramble is such an awesome name for a finisher.

Although, I like just about every finisher name. Gorindan Something, the one from Shinkenger, then there's Victory Charge, Special Buster, Zyuden Brave Finish... That's about all I know. Anyone got favorites from the older series' I haven't seen? Or alternates within the newer ones. Attack names are the best. (Ultraman and Kamen Rider are okay too. Maxim Drive!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

More like "Super Mega Slash" and "Super Mega Blast." Which is a shame since Gokai Scramble is such an awesome name for a finisher.

Although, I like just about every finisher name. Gorindan Something, the one from Shinkenger, then there's Victory Charge, Special Buster, Zyuden Brave Finish... That's about all I know. Anyone got favorites from the older series' I haven't seen? Or alternates within the newer ones. Attack names are the best. (Ultraman and Kamen Rider are okay too. Maxim Drive!)
OPEN THE VULCAN!

• Locked thread