Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Started? Where did you find a collection?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hakkesshu posted:

Just started Spidey Super Stories. It's already amazing:

And as a bonus:

I never knew it changed his voice!

Thanks for the spoiler warning, jerk.

:haw:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I now want two things:

1) A Spider Super Stories omnibus

2) A Spoiler and Clown-9 team-up.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I would love a revival of Super Stories alongside Superior right now. Spock vs the Wall etc

Also,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hMRRWzACpM

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

Selachian posted:

Poor Morgan Freeman. All he wanted to do was go IN.
Flabbergasting Fact 1: That is, indeed, Morgan Freeman from the Electric company
Flabbergasting Fact 2: That story is written by Joss Whedon's dad

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Spoiler is Butters grown up.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Endless Mike posted:

The Spoiler is Butters grown up.

I liken him to Spongebob during April Fool's Day.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
You guys are really making me regret a couple weeks ago when I saw an old collection of Spidey Super Stories for sale in this dusty old bookstore up in Lansing and didn't buy it. If it had the issue with Doctor Doom using the monster horn with Namor I'd have probably pick it up.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I love this freaking book so much. If they made an omnibus I would buy ten

Peter Parker in Cart Life

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 21, 2013

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
That's incredible, why couldn't they make the movies about that?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

RoadCrewWorker posted:

That's incredible, why couldn't they make the movies about that?

The essence was there, briefly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYYMl_sS72Y

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

It's like Axe Cop was given the Spider-Man license.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Hakkesshu posted:

I love this freaking book so much. If they made an omnibus I would buy ten

This is the single best Spider-man related thing I've ever seen.

Seriously, I can't even pick out a best part. "My Spider-sense tells me something is lousy" is a good place to start, as is "I think I added too much salt" and Dr. Fly's giant fly eyeball popping out from under his wig. It's all great.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Longshot Saves the Marvel universe #2 (taken from here)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

goatface posted:

Longshot Saves the Marvel universe #2 (taken from here)

Too bad there's not a back-up story where Strange doesn't actually go around to kids going "whoa you summoned me!" to make their day. Though I guess in the Marvel universe, encouraging kids to practice magic more would probably bring about some unimaginably powerful demonic entity.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Or straight up get the kids killed. You try waving a toy wand around and BAM Mephisto owns your soul, or you've been possessed by the Goblin Force.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

Having a fly be an enemy of Spider-Man is so obvious and cheesy that I can't believe Stan Lee didn't write something like that back in the early days.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Super Dan posted:

Having a fly be an enemy of Spider-Man is so obvious and cheesy that I can't believe Stan Lee didn't write something like that back in the early days.
I can only assume rather than leaving him for the cops like with most villains Spider-Man took Dr. Fly home and fed on his liquefied insides for a few weeks.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
that cop seems so pleased with himself to be giving Spidey a ticket...

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Super Dan posted:

Maybe he thought it was too obvious? Spider-Man did eventually get a fly foe in the Human Fly, but that was some time after Stan Lee and the villain never stuck.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Choco1980 posted:

that cop seems so pleased with himself to be giving Spidey a ticket...

NYC Cops are a special kind of dick. Spidey looks so incredibly pissed by it in that last panel. It's perfect.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

If they made an omnibus I would buy ten
You shouldn't be surprised to hear that this is one of my ongoing projects--I've got 4 issues remaining to collect.

Reposting my favorite scene:

SSS #48

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

redbackground posted:

You shouldn't be surprised to hear that this is one of my ongoing projects--I've got 4 issues remaining to collect.

SSS #48
You gotta respect the straight up balls it takes to figure out exactly when you're going to fight Spider-Man and Power Man and the moment when you'll make a getaway, and be so sure of yourself that you call a flower delivery place hours ahead of time to set up a gently caress-you.

That is, like, a Clock King move.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

redbackground posted:

What issues are you missing?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

What issues are you missing?
13, 27, 33, & 41.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
The Atomics 12

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Nov 21, 2013

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

A+X 14:
Magneto hates supervillains.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Even Spock knows he stepped in it that time. :v:

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fereydun posted:

A+X 14:

and then he dressed as a circus performer to do crime and have his plans foiled over and over before being thrown into super jails so...

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Duke Igthorn posted:

and then he dressed as a circus performer to do crime and have his plans foiled over and over before being thrown into super jails so...
Yes, and Magneto's there too!

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

redbackground posted:

SSS #48

I dunno whether people here are laughing 'at' Spidey Super Stories or 'with' it.

Me? With it, definitely. These are good, clean, pure fun. It's silly, but it doesn't feel like forced silly, if that makes sense.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Fereydun posted:

A+X 14:

:colbert: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9KFcmpI4jw&t=108s

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Also from A+X 14:

Must be something in the water this month at Marvel.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

SynthOrange posted:

Also from A+X 14:

Must be something in the water this month at Marvel.

That page kind of pissed me off. A bunch of other writer and artists made hints and jabs at the games, but never really said "HEY GUYS LOOK VIDEO GAME!" while this one felt the need to shove it down my throat.

God, that entire issue was pretty much unbearable.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Choco1980 posted:

You guys are really making me regret a couple weeks ago when I saw an old collection of Spidey Super Stories for sale in this dusty old bookstore up in Lansing and didn't buy it. If it had the issue with Doctor Doom using the monster horn with Namor I'd have probably pick it up.

Or, of course, the Thanoscopter.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
That entire scene from Sex Criminals 3 should be posted. Basically, they wanted to do karoke with Queen's Fat Bottomed Girls, but couldn't secure the rights in time, so the entire song is "censored" with Fraction's post it notes.

Also, the recap page needs to be here, that got an actual lol from me.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Bloodly posted:

I dunno whether people here are laughing 'at' Spidey Super Stories or 'with' it.

Me? With it, definitely. These are good, clean, pure fun. It's silly, but it doesn't feel like forced silly, if that makes sense.

I unironically love what was posted. I was rereading the Spoiler one last night and on my third go I realized that when the guy said he lost his place he was talking about the comic he was holding in his hands. I thought it was a non-sequitur. Plus I'm a sucker for terribly obvious puns.

If an omnibus ever comes out I'll hunt down a copy.

Fereydun posted:

A+X 14:

Those redesigns are really interesting, as well as how SpOck is written. I haven't kept up, does he even try to joke around like Peter did to cover himself or is it straight up Octavius lording over the dudes he's beating up? I do like how his outfit looks like a combination of other Spider-Man outfits. The spider on the back is supposed to be like the Iron Spider one, right?

Action Tortoise fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Nov 21, 2013

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Bloodly posted:

Definitely with it. There are plenty of laughably bad comics from that era, but there's something so genuine about SSS. It's clearly written by someone who gives a poo poo. The art is also legitimately good!

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Leper Residue posted:

That page kind of pissed me off. A bunch of other writer and artists made hints and jabs at the games, but never really said "HEY GUYS LOOK VIDEO GAME!" while this one felt the need to shove it down my throat.

God, that entire issue was pretty much unbearable.

It's been posted a lot in this thread, but I think one of the best examples of doing this thing well is that one opening page from an issue of Hawkeye, where it invokes the look and feel of the 1992 X-Men arcade game.

Here we go, found it.

Also Wolverine clawing a guy in the nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Coughing Hobo posted:

It's been posted a lot in this thread, but I think one of the best examples of doing this thing well is that one opening page from an issue of Hawkeye, where it invokes the look and feel of the 1992 X-Men arcade game.

Was that made by the same people who did "Captain America and the Avengers"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGuK8g3XHeQ

• Locked thread