Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hakkesshu posted:

Anna Torv isn't a bad pick at all, but her mannerisms don't quite fit the part to me. I guess it isn't fair to say, since I haven't seen her in anything other than Fringe, but it's hard to imagine her in an action role.

And I don't think the "action" parts in the later seasons of Fringe that I won't spoil are a particular good indicator of anything. But I wouldn't complain if they cast her, I'm sure she'd do a great job.

Anna Torv would probably be ok in the role, but Katheryn Winnick from Vikings is still the best suggestion I've heard anywhere. She's just a real badass in that show and has a great physical presence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Deadpool posted:

Anna Torv would probably be ok in the role, but Katheryn Winnick from Vikings is still the best suggestion I've heard anywhere. She's just a real badass in that show and has a great physical presence.

She has great screen presence too, especially after Ragnar becomes the next earl she feels completely authentic holding power and respect in Viking society. Winnick is one of the few choices that's actual plausible fan casting based on her acting merits.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

McSpanky posted:

She has great screen presence too, especially after Ragnar becomes the next earl she feels completely authentic holding power and respect in Viking society. Winnick is one of the few choices that's actual plausible fan casting based on her acting merits.

She's also a black belt martial artist :woop:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hakkesshu posted:

She's also a black belt martial artist :woop:

She could have probably made a pretty awesome Black Widow as well.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

HorseRenoir posted:

I think he's talking about how Alan Taylor disliked how campy the GOTG teaser was and wasn't happy about having it attached to his movie.
Then he's a big dummy because it was the best part of his movie.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

My favourite Captain Marvel fancasting so far is Katee Sackoff. Though I haven't seen later seasons of Fringe, and haven't watched any Vikings at all, but from the sounds of they would be good too. And they're all in their early 30s, which seems like a good age for Carol Danvers.

I would laugh like an idiot if a Captain Marvel movie got announced before a Wonder Woman movie. And then throw more money at Marvel.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don't get the love for Sachoff, she always comes off as too wooden. I guess maybe she looks close to what people are thinking, but I think overall that's a bad choice.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

I love Sackhoff, but I can't help but feel like she will be forever Starbuck in my head. Katheryn Winnick would be utterly fantastic.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Here's a pic from Amazing Spider-Man 2:

I'm getting mad Jim Carrey Edward Nygma vibes from that. The set design, Paul Giamatti as Rhino and the picture of firehat Spider-Man basically makes this movie look totally insane.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Here's a pic from Amazing Spider-Man 2:

I'm getting mad Jim Carrey Edward Nygma vibes from that. The set design, Paul Giamatti as Rhino and the picture of firehat Spider-Man basically makes this movie look totally insane.

It could not look any different from the first one, which is great. Looking forward to it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I wonder if it vaugly surreal and dream like quality we're seeing on some of the images from ASM2 is because the rumor I heard that the movie will be almost an anthology of stories, where Parker is reminiscing about the villains he's fought, this is why we have like everyone save Paint Pot Peat in the film.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I hope he fights that guy that's literally an orangutan with low human intelligence.

Or Clown 9.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

If they put Clown 9 in I will buy every ticket

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I would be content if Clown-9 was brought into the comics, but putting him in a movie would be awesome.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I just want to see him fight THE WALL

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

Is Spidey weak to the chokeslam?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gaz-L posted:

You fool

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I'd pay good money for a Reed/Victor college comedy. Maybe including their buddies Hank and Tony.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Seriously, are all the Spider Super Stories this good?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

Seriously, are all the Spider Super Stories this good?
Every single one.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

redbackground posted:

Every single one.

I have to track them down, I have to get them.

Edit: This is the first result on Amazon UK, which I feel is appropriate:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

No, he is not a woman written by John Byrne.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Fun fact: Joss Whedon's father wrote this. No word yet on The Wall appearing in the MCU, though.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Corek posted:

Fun fact: Joss Whedon's father wrote this. No word yet on The Wall appearing in the MCU, though.

You're making GBS threads me. Really? That's amazing.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Corek posted:

It's sad that the son has still not surpassed his fathers genius.

Billy Idle
Sep 26, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

You're making GBS threads me. Really? That's amazing.

It's one of those perfect little facts that proves God intended the universe as a joke.

Thurm
Nov 11, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hMRRWzACpM
Guest starring Morgan Freeman.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
As much as I want to see Spidey vs. the Wall, I want to see Magneto vs. a wooden gun even more.

God I love watching that clip way too much.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...
I guess I never really thought about it but a properly armed Hawkeye could give Magneto a lot of trouble(Yew bow with headless arrows, or synthetic composts for both). Even more so if it was the 1602 versions, Magneto would have a lot less to work with and what was available would be far lower quality.

VVV Once he gets over it he can just get up and leave.

Dr. MonkeyThunder fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 21, 2013

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I love that he just gives up and lets the cops take him away with their metal handcuffs, metal guns and metal police cars just because he was depressed about being slightly tricked.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Magneto's too powerful for his own good. He can do anything as long as he remembers to say he's doing it magnetically. Like, I'm pretty sure he used to be able to control people mentally and say it was because of his "animal magnetism" or something.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...
I think that got retconned away as using the iron in red blood cells to deprive parts of the brain of oxygen. Then someone realized that meant he could kill nearly anyone, or lobotomize even Professor Xavier at will, and someone got a no-prise for figuring out how little iron is in the bloodstream/entire human body in reference to him. After that he suddenly lost the ability to effect blood-flow more than very slightly.

If you're curious it's roughly 2.5 grams in the blood, and 1g in the rest of the body. For reference that 2.5g of iron in your blood is roughly the same mass as a penny.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

I think that got retconned away as using the iron in red blood cells to deprive parts of the brain of oxygen. Then someone realized that meant he could kill nearly anyone, or lobotomize even Professor Xavier at will, and someone got a no-prise for figuring out how little iron is in the bloodstream/entire human body in reference to him. After that he suddenly lost the ability to effect blood-flow more than very slightly.

If you're curious it's roughly 2.5 grams in the blood, and 1g in the rest of the body. For reference that 2.5g of iron in your blood is roughly the same mass as a penny.

Then you get the situation from X2... and the comically large syringe Rebecca Romijn pulls out.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

True.

Could he not do something similar with electromagnetic radiation? I'm not a physicist (of course, neither are most comic book writers) so I've no idea what the maximum extent of Magneto's powers are meant to be. I mean, sometimes he just controls metal and others he can control the entire electromagnetic spectrum.

I guess it depends on the ambition of the writer; I think Morrison made some allusions about that (he did the same thing with Triumph and Electric Blue Superman in JLA).

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Metal Loaf posted:

True.

Could he not do something similar with electromagnetic radiation? I'm not a physicist (of course, neither are most comic book writers) so I've no idea what the maximum extent of Magneto's powers are meant to be. I mean, sometimes he just controls metal and others he can control the entire electromagnetic spectrum.

I guess it depends on the ambition of the writer; I think Morrison made some allusions about that (he did the same thing with Triumph and Electric Blue Superman in JLA).

I have vague memories of a sequence in the late 90s or so where some cocky punks were coming at Magneto with plastic weapons or something like that, and he just vaporizes them with a force blast right out of Marvel vs. Capcom and mentions something about a strong enough magnetic field inducing electricity through the air into a plasma beam.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Metal Loaf posted:

True.

There's a Dr. Polaris issue in Gail Simone's run on Superman that reads very much like a "hey idiots, this is what Magneto can do" rant. He spends the entire issue doing stunts like making everyone blind, because electromagnetism and therefore bending light rays and I don't know.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
It's always simpler when they say Magneto just controls metal with his mind and doesn't actually have crap to do with magnetism. Being able to control metal with your brain is broken enough.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Either way, Magneto shouldn't be able to do anything with iron in hemoglobin. :argh:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I just like to assume that his actual power is the power of ignorance so he can do whatever he feels like because loving magnets how do they work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Magneto is inhabited by the Ghost of Holocaust Past. He doesn't age, he can fly, and he has catch-all telekinetic and influence abilities. Sounds like a spirit to me. Instead of throwing Scott, Logan, Hank, and Chuck at him you'd be better off enlisting Peter, Ray, Egon, and Winston.

• Locked thread