Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Also now the early episodes where Thea seemed like she was into Tommy is now really weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I officially have no idea where this show is going and I'm so OK with that.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Aphrodite posted:

Realistically she should have got the conspiracy but not the murders, I would think.

Edit: Though it looks like Ollie thinks it wasn't exactly legitimate, so it makes sense.

If she got conspiracy, she would have gotten the murder charges as well. Proving the conspiracy would mean that she was guilty of all crimes of the conspiracy.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Guessing Alderman/Brother Blood is still the big bad of the season though, since I assume what he's up to is somewhat related to the crazy Japanese super soldier serum back on the island.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Cityinthesea posted:

I kinda want Brother Blood in the H.I.V.E., but that may be my appreciation for the Teen Titans cartoon talking.

I honestly think they're going to do a Malcolm thing with him regarding H.I.V.E, Ollie bests him to reveal he was a just one of many high ranking members of an insidious organization now operating in Starling City

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

NutritiousSnack posted:

I honestly think they're going to do a Malcolm thing with him regarding H.I.V.E, Ollie bests him to reveal he was a just one of many high ranking members of an insidious organization now operating in Starling City

Eh, Malcolm is already a member of the League of Assassins. Him being H.I.V.E. too seems unnecessary. It's more likely that it's Brother Blood and H.I.V.E. together. Though it's pretty likely that the stories are connected in some way because there may be a connection between Lazarus and Miracle/Venom. Ivo could honestly go either way as part of the League or H.I.V.E.

In ratings, Arrow is killing it right now. It's steadily gaining every episode and has surpassed all CW's other shows in ratings.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Nov 21, 2013

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Lawlicaust posted:

Eh, Malcolm is already a member of the League of Assassins. Him being H.I.V.E. too seems unnecessary. It's more likely that it's Brother Blood and H.I.V.E. together.

I think you either misread what I wrote or I wrote it poorly. I think just like Malcom ended being tied to League of Assassins, Brother Blood will be tied to H.I.V.E

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

NutritiousSnack posted:

I think you either misread what I wrote or I wrote it poorly. I think just like Malcom ended being tied to League of Assassins, Brother Blood will be tied to H.I.V.E

Oh yeah, the quote confused me a bit. In complete agreement with you. Brother Blood is just the opening act for H.I.V.E.

UberAaron
Feb 11, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Goddamn this show for being so good. This show is way better then it has a right to be.

:argh: :argh:

We're only on episode seven. Holy poo poo this season is going to be nuts.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Thisisiiiisss loving s hooooowww

My jaw unhinged onto the floor and I was waving my arms around in the air for that entire last scene and I don't think I've stopped since.

Now, I'm one of those who really hated this show's Count Vertigo. Such a flagrant Joker-slash-Scarecrow ripoff and not even a good job of it. But this episode may have made it all worthwhile? It sucks...a little...that he had to go, but I love that they didn't have Ollie so completely paralyzed by the no-kill rule that he wasn't able to do what needed to be done. It was hard for him and it'll continue to be something he struggles with, and I love a superhero story that's willing to deal with this issue intelligibly.

Surely there was a way to incapacitate the Count without killing him but eh I can overlook it.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

IGN sucks. They have this episode "7.5" and said The Count was "lamer than ever".

I'm pretty sure they gave most of AvX(terrible, terrible Marvel comics crossover event) at least 8.5ish or higher. Apples and oranges and all that, but sheeeeesh man.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Also, way to give Thea some seriously plot hooks in the span of a single second. She was the one character that had started to feel a little extraneous and unneeded, and now all of a sudden she's one of the most important pieces in the show's long game.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Hahaha that loving episode, oh man. I loved the ridiculous triple Barrowman reveal. It's like a full-blown day-time soap opera with a superhero, except everything somehow works and is great.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Holy.

gently caress.

I literally cannot believe how fast this show moves yet how awesome the plot manages to be. The last minute of Arrow was better then almost anything else on TV.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
I knew that Thea was probably the bastard child of Merlyn. Also I knew he had to come back, you don't just kill a villain and just leave his body. Does suck that they lost Vertigo he really could be a great recurring villain.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
BMAN:argh:

I love it that the writers hate plots that drag on for no good reason...this goddamn show!

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

BrianWilly posted:

I love that they didn't have Ollie so completely paralyzed by the no-kill rule that he wasn't able to do what needed to be done. It was hard for him and it'll continue to be something he struggles with, and I love a superhero story that's willing to deal with this issue intelligibly.

Arrow is everything that Batman isn't. And it's awesome.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
I knew that Merlyn would at some point would be revealed to be alive, but I expected it to be in like the season finale or something. I should have known better, I suppose, with this show. This show does not gently caress around.

The revelation about Thea was pretty good as well, but I kind of called it as soon as Moira admitted to having an affair with Malcolm. In retrospect I am even more happy with the fact that that Tommy completely immediately rejected Thea's advances back in early season one. I thought it was weird enough at the time considering that he was supposed to be like 27 and she was only 17, but adding in the incest thing, uh, yeah.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Look, I like Barrowman as much as the rest of you, but I'm really annoyed he couldn't stay dead. Granted, I was a little disappointed with how he went out in season 1. But he was a good one-season villain. Don't drag it out. And after Canary, please let SOMEONE stay dead.

Now I'm expecting the Count to come back again next episode!

On a lighter note; I was so glad Ollie broke his kill rule. Arrow does what Batman don't! That was the "hell yeah!" moment of the episode for me. The no-kill rule is stupid, I just wanted Ollie to kill less often. Maybe not cut through a few hundred Diggles like he was before. (Seriously, how many suit-wearing, rich-employer private security guys who were no different than his best friend - did he murder in season 1?)

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I just found out there's no Arrow next week after this bombshell.

What am I going to do for 2 weeks :cry:

KenjiKaizoku
Oct 21, 2008

King of Solomon posted:

Slade is probably going to get Miracle,

Oh, there's absolutely no "probably" about it. They foreshadowed that with all the subtlety of punch to the throat. In the comics, Slade Wilson is literally enhanced by a super soldier-esque serum administered by the government. I've heard him referred to as DC's version of Captain America, and that's not far off -- accounting for the huge difference that Slade is much more lethal in his work.

Anyway, great episode. I should've seen the Merlyn reveal coming, but it was a nice and somewhat welcome surprise for me. I absolutely love Barrowman thanks to his work in Doctor Who (and Shark Attack 3 :unsmigghh:), so I'm glad to see that he'll get more mileage out of Arrow.

Also, echoing the pain of having two wait 2 weeks for more. drat you, Thanksgiving!

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
The Barrowman reveal was completely unexpected and I love it, even if it is quintessentially ~comics~.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Crowsbeak posted:

I knew that Thea was probably the bastard child of Merlyn.

As soon as Moira admitted to an affair, I had a Ned Stark moment where I realized one of these hair colors is not like the others.

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu
Regarding the spoiler character played by Katrina Law, does anyone know when she's due to arrive on the show? I want to watch everything up until now in time for it because I'm impatient and Nyssa Raatko is seriously one of my favorite characters and I don't want to have to wait for her to finally get an appearance in something.

I know there are always changes to characters in these shows, but I really hope Nyssa's personality stays largely intact from the comics. It looks like she's going to be younger, which isn't surprising and I don't have a problem with that, but if she's younger, I'm wondering if she's still going to be as cold and merciless as she was in the comics, since that all stemmed from severe trauma and the loss of all of her progeny and Nazi torture. I'm sure they can come up with something for her, but I'm just hoping that they don't have to lose too much of her badassery.

Goddamn, I'm so excited and I don't even watch this show yet.

Pringles_School
Jul 24, 2013
I'm okay with the twist and I don't think it undermines anything. The real important death in the season 1 finale was Tommy and he's not going to come back.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Huh. I could have sworn I heard Barrowman say "isn't".

I thought it meant Moira had been lying to him about Thea as a way to protect her family.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Aphrodite posted:

I thought it meant Moira had been lying to him about Thea as a way to protect her family.

Yeah, it almost sounded like that to me too, but that didn't make sense in context, it just sounded weird.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Aphrodite posted:

I heard "isn't" as well. I even replayed because it didn't seem to make sense in context.

Closed captioning confirms "is" though.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

This show is sooo good, I can hardly believe it. And I don't care what hand waving they use to explain how Merlyn lives, having him back in the show is great.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

VagueRant posted:

On a lighter note; I was so glad Ollie broke his kill rule.

I also liked that when Arrow decides to take someone out, he takes them right the gently caress out.

Triple arrows to the chest, ooof.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

evenworse username posted:

I also liked that when Arrow decides to take someone out, he takes them right the gently caress out.

Triple arrows to the chest, ooof.

Triple arrows to the chest out the window of a skyscraper, no less. And Ollie still goes over to check and make sure he got him, respect for that.

Wolvorine
Nov 15, 2011

I am not drawing that.
I'm really torn on the Count Vertigo death. On one hand, it was an awesome moment of awesomeness and I hated this Count Vertigo so badly (my first Green Arrow comic as a small child featured Count Vertigo, he'll always be The Green Arrow villain to me, and this version was like the bizarro opposite of the original character). On the other hand, if they'd called him anything else I would have loved him because on his own he was a fun and hammy-as-hell character.

And oh holy gently caress this show. After they pulled the fake-out on us before with the LoA guy in the same suit Merlyn wore I wasn't willing to take the bait and believe it was Malcom until they gave a full face reveal. At which point I think I may have yelled like a pre-teen girl in joy. And the Thea reveal on top of that, the writers on this show guys... they aren't even paid enough for what they give us every goddamned episode. Makes me wonder, for all they manage to get INTO these episodes, how much more do they have left that they tried to fit in but had to cut? Those writers' meetings have to be brutal and awesome.

Two weeks?! Oh gently caress you, nooooooo!

EDIT: Stephen Amell needs to be a goon, some goon not on a fixed income give that man an account and get him into this thread, if only to feel the love.

Wolvorine fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Nov 21, 2013

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

If it was anyone else that came back from the dead I'd be mad but I can totally imagine Barrowman just coming back from the dead to mess with people it seems like the natural thing to happen.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I totally thought he said "isn't" as well and that confused the poo poo out of me, I thought that meant she was lying about her being his daughter to convince him to not harm her.

Sooo.. he said "is"? Then Thea.. wait what OH NO.

UberAaron
Feb 11, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
This is a comic book show. People should be coming back from the dead all the drat time, supposed realism notwithstanding. I fully expect the Count back in season 3. :colbert:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Or, what are the chances that the smug DA he injected ends up having some kinda residual chemical cray cray from the Vertigo and ends up becoming a new Count Vertigo?

We'd have legacy villains before legacy heroes. :stare:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I just want the insanity of the Flash's Rogues Gallery.

Failing that the Simonson version of the Manhunter and his clones.

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 21, 2013

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Vertigo was the best villain, shame they offed him.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I just want the insanity of the Flash's Rogues Gallery.

Me too, though less for the insanity and more because they are actually pretty great characters, especially as a group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Oh GOD that "enhance" scene. :sigh:

Four seconds has never hurt so bad.

• Locked thread