Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Wait, when did Neil Patrick Harris go militant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

AlliedBiscuit posted:

So I was bored and saw this on a page about Lady Gaga:

Out of morbid curiosity, I checked out his public profile, and all of my suspicions were confirmed:

And a link to this: http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article36728.htm

But this is the best:

An MRA Libertarian, eh? Who would've thought based on that one comment about a pop star?

Looking at that link, what's really sad is that feminist do support a lot of the same things MRAs claim to be about; destigmatizing male rape/abuse, changing the way divorce courts award custody, male circumcision, etc. The problem is that it's a bait and switch. Come for the reasonableness, stay for the insanity.

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Around the same time he let himself go, apparently.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Never trust a guy who's super vocal about how much he hates female pop singers.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Never trust a guy who's super vocal about how much he hates female pop singers.

I used to wonder why complaining about pop music was such a huge thing on the internet. Then I realized that the internet is full of young teens, and that is the cool thing to do when you are a young teen.

When I was a pup, it was en vogue to get angry that NSYNC or Britney Spears existed. Then, most people grow up and don't care what other people listen to.
The internet exists and one can listen to whatever music they want, whenever they want. It's not like getting sick of the only good radio station in town spinning David Cassidy singles over and over again.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
If you think that was bad, you should see the comment sections on any story that even mentions Kanye. I think I posted screen caps of comments about his baby being born where people were wishing death on him and his baby for... existing I guess?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

canyoneer posted:

I used to wonder why complaining about pop music was such a huge thing on the internet. Then I realized that the internet is full of young teens, and that is the cool thing to do when you are a young teen.

Oh it's not just teens. Just ask your average goon in their mid-twenties what their opinion of Nicki Manaj is. It's very "cool" to endlessly poo poo on pop stars or think that no good music has come out since X year.

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.

I had never seen that guy before and he looks weird so I googled him. This is the only thing about him on wikipedia

"Tax protester history in the United States posted:

Larken Rose, an adherent of the 861 argument, was sentenced to 15 months in prison for willful failure to file income tax returns in five years in which the government alleged that his income was approximately $500,000. He was released from prison in December 2006.

The 861 argument according to wikipedia is: a statutory argument used by tax protesters in the United States, which interprets a portion of the tax code as invalidating certain applications of income tax. The argument has uniformly been held by courts to be incorrect, and persons who have cited the argument as a basis for refusing to pay income taxes have been penalized, and in some cases jailed.

So he used a uniformly disagreed with decision to go to jail. Sounds like a smart guy.

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!
Nothing is worse than nearly every youtube page for a classic rock artist containing numerous comments about how much Justin Bieber sucks in comparison. I swear people who hate that kid talk about him more than his fans.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

AlliedBiscuit posted:

Nothing is worse than nearly every youtube page for a classic rock artist containing numerous comments about how much Justin Bieber sucks in comparison. I swear people who hate that kid talk about him more than his fans.

I wondered how right you were. 1 search "led zeppelin stairway to heaven" (the obvious) but it took 2 clicks, the 1st video listed a live version, ctrl-f "bieber" didn't work, got a positive hit on the second one listed, just the song playing over a picture.

edit: I didn't expand the comments though.

Vin BioEthanol has a new favorite as of 22:15 on Nov 20, 2013

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's closely followed by "I'm 14 and I only listen to stuff like this, only one in my class."

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

My Lovely Horse posted:

It's closely followed by "I'm 14 and I only listen to stuff like this, only one in my class."

"All the other teenagers listen to pop crap like Justin Bieber or Lady Gaga."
"I feel like I was born in the wrong time."

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Serperoth posted:

This was on the zep video I got a bieber-hit on:

quote:

I was born in the wrong generation. I grew up with shitheads such as zeppelin, beatles, pink floyd, grateful dead, etc. that music is so poo poo compared to what we have today. I still think the biggest waste of money was the time I actually paid to see a bunch of stoned hippies play in a huge field at woodstock. bands today such as the death grips, fantano and the talking radio heads, etc. will always rock harder than this poo poo. a bunch of talentless hacks with erectile dysfunction. i was born in the wrong generation.

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.
Related to the discussion. It's my favourite story ever.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Serperoth posted:

"All the other teenagers listen to pop crap like Justin Bieber or Lady Gaga."

It's really silly and goofy, but (self-proclaimed) "alternative" teens go through it as a normal stage of development in middle school. They probably always have. Edwardian teens probably got all teary-eyed about how they would have been better in the Victorian Era, Victorian kids probably longed for the Renaissance. Early Bronze-age kids probably longed for the loving stone age.

For me it was the whole "No one understands me, wish I had been a teen in the early 80s when all the cool music and fashion was :qq:"

The only difference is everything is way more public and instant now. I just scribbled in my diary and old Victorian kids probably just wrote wistful letters and journals to each other about how sad they were that frilly collars and chamber music weren't in style anymore.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

hallo spacedog posted:

It's really silly and goofy, but (self-proclaimed) "alternative" teens go through it as a normal stage of development in middle school. They probably always have. Edwardian teens probably got all teary-eyed about how they would have been better in the Victorian Era, Victorian kids probably longed for the Renaissance. Early Bronze-age kids probably longed for the loving stone age.

For me it was the whole "No one understands me, wish I had been a teen in the early 80s when all the cool music and fashion was :qq:"

The only difference is everything is way more public and instant now. I just scribbled in my diary and old Victorian kids probably just wrote wistful letters and journals to each other about how sad they were that frilly collars and chamber music weren't in style anymore.

Oh yeah, that makes sense, but it 's still dumb comments on the internet. I have the feeling I've posted something like that at some point myself.

Vin BioEthanol posted:

This was on the zep video I got a bieber-hit on:

That's NOT what I expected.It's usually the other way around.

MinjoGreene
Jan 5, 2013
It doesn't even necessarily have to be classic rock either. I saw a comment like that about loving WHEATUS.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

He looks like Harley Race's dipshit son.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

MinjoGreene posted:

It doesn't even necessarily have to be classic rock either. I saw a comment like that about loving WHEATUS.

Was... was it at least from a teenaged dirtbag, baby?

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!

Romeo Rose's brother?

kannonfodder posted:

Oh it's not just teens. Just ask your average goon in their mid-twenties what their opinion of Nicki Manaj is. It's very "cool" to endlessly poo poo on pop stars or think that no good music has come out since X year.

Man, most pop music is pretty terrible these days, and not just because it's "cool" to hate it. I'm not going to poo poo on anyone for liking it though, I guess that's the difference.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Smoremaster posted:

Man, most pop music is pretty terrible these days, and not just because it's "cool" to hate it. I'm not going to poo poo on anyone for liking it though, I guess that's the difference.

Since the definition of "pop" music is so vague, there is a lot of pop music that is very good (there is also some absolute garbage). The main issue I have is how many people say that there has been no good music since whenever, pop or not. The other annoying thing is that people get genuinely angry when people like Lady Gaga or Drake get mentioned in music discussions.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Smoremaster posted:

Romeo Rose's brother?

Most music (and any creative medium) from every single period of history has been poo poo, we just don't remember the crappy stuff.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

kannonfodder posted:

Since the definition of "pop" music is so vague, there is a lot of pop music that is very good (there is also some absolute garbage). The main issue I have is how many people say that there has been no good music since whenever, pop or not. The other annoying thing is that people get genuinely angry when people like Lady Gaga or Drake get mentioned in music discussions.

1stGear posted:

Most music (and any creative medium) from every single period of history has been poo poo, we just don't remember the crappy stuff.

Fair enough, there is definitely poo poo music and good music in every period.

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

1stGear posted:

Yeah, most people don't realize that a lot of the good songs played on classic rock radio weren't necessarily big hits back in the day. Stuff that often hit the top 40 back in the day is poo poo you never hear anymore precisely because it's bland teen-pop crap. What we hear is generally the better music distilled by time. I mean, This https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd_Fdly3rX8 was apparently the biggest hit of 1974, followed by Barbara Streisand's "The Way We Were". You wouldn't catch many Zeppelin fans calling those songs classics.

Reminds me of this:

I see that posted by people in their 30s all the time. It's comparing apples and oranges, what do those two even have to do with each other?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

AlliedBiscuit posted:

I see that posted by people in their 30s all the time. It's comparing apples and oranges, what do those two even have to do with each other?

Which is why I like this followup image:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

AlliedBiscuit posted:

Reminds me of this:

No you see they're POPULAR MUSIC!!!!!!! In the 80's all the people listened to the bands I LIKE!

I remember a parody of that, using a Beatles song and a popular one with some nice lyrics. I'd love to see them post something about how "all rap is about bling and bitches or gangstas and being CRIMINALS" or something, since I've been getting into some hip-hop myself.
What bugs me about this sort of person hating on hip-hop specifically is that it's often mixed with racism, in my experience.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

AlliedBiscuit posted:

So I was bored and saw this on a page about Lady Gaga:

Out of morbid curiosity, I checked out his public profile, and all of my suspicions were confirmed:

And a link to this: http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article36728.htm

But this is the best:

An MRA Libertarian, eh? Who would've thought based on that one comment about a pop star?

:stare:

This guy perfectly sums up the libertarian mindset of:

"All people are free to think and act as they see fit. Unless I don't like how they think and act, then they're loving sheep. Or if they're women, loving misandrist whores"

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Just a reminder, in 1969, a year that had such great music as David Bowie's Space Oddity, Johnny Cash live at San Quentin, and The Beatles Let It Be, the number one single was Sugar, Sugar by The Archies.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Uh...isn't that just about what happened right after the Western Roman Empire collapsed?

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!

Gann Jerrod posted:

Just a reminder, in 1969, a year that had such great music as David Bowie's Space Oddity, Johnny Cash live at San Quentin, and The Beatles Let It Be, the number one single was Sugar, Sugar by The Archies.

Would it be more accurate for these people to instead complain that radio has gotten worse? I don't know what radio was like in the 70s-80s and in the last 10 years everything has moved to Sirius and the like. Were there more choices back then for your FM/AM tuner besides just top 40 stations?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Does anyone have that picture that I think was posted in this thread at one point, that has Beyonce and like queen or some poo poo and they had the lyrics next to each other to compared, and they had I think Bohemian Rhapsody next to some song where it was just like Beyonce saying baby over and over. The point was to show a WHOLE BUNCH OF PEOPLE OMG wrote Beyonce's lyrics, while only Queen wrote their owns songs and see how much better it was??

Except that that part of the Beyonce song is a small part of a larger song so the comparison was dumb and also Beyonce rules :colbert:

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

Macaluso posted:

Does anyone have that picture that I think was posted in this thread at one point, that has Beyonce and like queen or some poo poo and they had the lyrics next to each other to compared, and they had I think Bohemian Rhapsody next to some song where it was just like Beyonce saying baby over and over. The point was to show a WHOLE BUNCH OF PEOPLE OMG wrote Beyonce's lyrics, while only Queen wrote their owns songs and see how much better it was??

Except that that part of the Beyonce song is a small part of a larger song so the comparison was dumb and also Beyonce rules :colbert:

This:

Except the actual lyrics are:

quote:

Girls, we run this motha (yeah!) [x4]
GIRLS!

[Chorus:]
Who run the world? Girls! [x4]
Who run this motha? Girls! [x4]

[Verse 1:]
Some of them men think they freak this like we do
But no they don't
Make your check come at they neck,
Disrespect us no they won't

Boy don't even try to touch this
Boy this beat is crazy
This is how they made me
Houston Texas baby
This goes out to all my girls
That's in the club rocking the latest
Who will buy it for themselves and get more money later
I think I need a barber
None of these niggas can fade me
I'm so good with this,
I remind you I'm so hood with this
Boy I'm just playing
Come here baby
Hope you still like me
F- you pay me

My persuasion can build a nation
Endless power, with our love we can devour
You'll do anything for me

[Verse 2:]
It's hot up in here
DJ don't be scared to run this, run this back
I'm reppin' for the girls who taking over the world
Help me raise a glass for the college grads

41 rollin' to let you know what time it is, check
You can't hold me (you can't hold me)
I work my 9 to 5, better cut my check
This goes out to all the women getting it in,
You're on your grind
To other men that respect what I do
Please accept my shine
Boy I know you love it
How we're smart enough to make these millions
Strong enough to bear the children
Then get back to business
See, you better not play me
Oh, come here baby
Hope you still like me
F- you hate me

My persuasion can build a nation
Endless power
With our love we can devour
You'll do anything for me

Who are we? What we run? The world (who run this motha, yeah)
Who are we? What we run? The world (who run this motha, yeah)
Who are we? What do we run? We run the world! (who run this motha, yeah)
Who are we? What we run? We run the world
Who run the world? Girls

The use of "writers" and "producers" is incredibly disingenuous too. Did Freddie really write the Rhapsody all by himself? No input from the rest of the band?

Also, DID Bohemian Rhapsody actually only have one producer? And was it any member of Queen? If so that kind of destroys the whole "point" of "see they did it all themselves"

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

This:

Except the actual lyrics are:

The use of "writers" and "producers" is incredibly disingenuous too. Did Freddie really write the Rhapsody all by himself? No input from the rest of the band?

Also, DID Bohemian Rhapsody actually only have one producer? And was it any member of Queen? If so that kind of destroys the whole "point" of "see they did it all themselves"

Also whoa holy poo poo the music business is bigger and more complicated now than it was in the 70s? Mind blown.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Courtesy of our local paper's Facebook-enabled comments section comes this shitlord, who is guaranteed to post on any story that can possibly have any racial connotation. Not blurring his name because gently caress him. I'm sure the local cops are very proud of him.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Courtesy of our local paper's Facebook-enabled comments section comes this shitlord, who is guaranteed to post on any story that can possibly have any racial connotation. Not blurring his name because gently caress him. I'm sure the local cops are very proud of him.

Race Relations Expert

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Jesus Christ. I've never even heard of more than maybe one black serial killer, compared to the zillions of famous white serial killers. Also white people use the most welfare. Also everything else he said just makes my loving blood boil.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

AlliedBiscuit posted:

It's always fun to remind people that the first Led Zeppelin album was like 90% unattributed covers of other people's songs. At least Nicki writes her own stuff.

Also much like every other person that was famous during the 70's Jimmy Page is a pedophile.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

It's always fun to remind people that the first Led Zeppelin album was like 90% unattributed covers of other people's songs. At least Nicki writes her own stuff.

Also much like every other person that was famous during the 70's Jimmy Page is a pedophile.

Psch who even listens to the first Led Zeppelin album? As far as I'm concerned they only ever made Led Zeppelin IV and Houses of the Holy. They were far from the best music of that era anyway, it's kind of annoying that they're considered by many to be the pinnacle of '70s rock.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I love this because yeah, waaaaaaay more black people get institutionalized that white people. He's doing research! Then he goes, what's wrong with the black race? ugh. You were so, so, so close. :negative:

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Two people on my feed had discovered bitStrips and posted maybe one or two. Then this girl found them. She has posted 19 of them today. Not a single one is even remotely humorous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Oh my loving god. People are actually mourning the death of Sylvia Browne (the "psychic" who claimed Amanda Berry was dead" which subsequently lead to the death of Berry's mother) on my Facebook. I don't even.

• Locked thread