Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

Shugojin posted:

As something more important, why are we not talking more about that little bat Durkon :3:

Vampires with beards always turn out to be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Shugojin posted:

Well, it leaves Tarquin's plot completely unresolved (in his eyes). It's an anticlimax, just to a side plot that isn't remotely important in the scheme of things because Tarquin is just a mortal man with mortal plans. He's not even a blip compared to the Snarl/Rifts business.

I'm hoping Tarquin lives, they all escape, and his plot gets incorporated into (and resolved by) the main plot. Giant climatic duel at the last gate, anyone?

Also, calling it now: Julio is Tarquin's brother.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
He's gonna get curbstomped by Sabine.

JosephWongKS posted:

Perhaps Bloodfeast can only talk to other dinosaurs or dinosaurs' evolutionary descendants like birds. On the other hand, on a closer look at that panel, Blackwing's beak is open, which confirms that Blackwing is the one speaking in that panel.

Plus Blackwing's whole character is that he' a 50s era Civil Rights activist. He thinks that lizard is a "Strong Sauropod role model."

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
It's a nice sign of character growth that V doesn't needle Belkar for his concern for the helpless dinolizard, or sarcastically express disbelief, or even question the pragmatism of it.

He just gets it done.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Eifert Posting posted:

He's gonna get curbstomped by Sabine.

If he lives through the next few strips? Almost certainly. I'm just hoping that revenge is delayed until the final confrontation and all sorts of awesome stuff can happen at once.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Shugojin posted:

As something more important, why are we not talking more about that little bat Durkon :3:

WHOSA LITTLE CUTESY VAMPIRE

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Is there a mechanical reason that the staff didn't shift into his body with the rest of his gear? Not that there needs to be, just curious.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
I'm guessing he just wants it accessible in case he has to recast Protection from Daylight as an emergency.

Uranium Phoenix posted:

If he lives through the next few strips? Almost certainly. I'm just hoping that revenge is delayed until the final confrontation and all sorts of awesome stuff can happen at once.

No, the fitting end for Tarquin is definitely getting snuffed far away from the battlefield because he completely ignored that someone loved his son.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Carrasco posted:

I'm guessing he just wants it accessible in case he has to recast Protection from Daylight as an emergency.

No, the fitting end for Tarquin is definitely getting snuffed far away from the battlefield because he completely ignored that someone loved his son.

Two someone's. Thog loves Nale, too. I think.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
I feel certain Julio will survive, if only because I don't think any of the Order can fly an airship.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Cthulhuchan posted:

I feel certain Julio will survive, if only because I don't think any of the Order can fly an airship.

I imagine the crew handles the actual operation.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Angela Christine posted:

Yeah, but then what do they do with him? The OOTS can't even manage to take care of horses.

Nothing, for just long enough readers forget about it, then one day during a desperate climactic moment, BAM! Bloodfeast the Extreminator out of nowhere.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It'll be a variation on the fastball special, where they whip a lizard at someone (who doesn't bother to block because hey, it's just a gecko) only to cast a dispel mid-flight and suddenly they're getting bull-rushed by a T-Rex.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Dolash posted:

It'll be a variation on the fastball special, where they whip a lizard at someone (who doesn't bother to block because hey, it's just a gecko) only to cast a dispel mid-flight and suddenly they're getting bull-rushed by a T-Rex.

Don't forget, Ray has practice throwing small animals at enemies.

(after the Julio thing, clearly EVERYTHING is foreshadowing)

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Why are all of Julio's puns about his carpet.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I'm guessing the OOTS is about to for-real escape and close this arc via the airship, whether or not Julio survives. My bolder prediction is the arc stinger is going to be something like -
Tarquin: drat! They haven't escaped me yet! I'm no dangling plothook--I'll track them down to the ends of the earth! Now, Laurin, what was it you wanted?
Laurin: Yeah Tarquin, sorry, about our arrangement? It's been changed. *Disentegrates/One-Hit-Kills Tarquin*

Tarquin dies due to political backstabbing completely unrelated to the 'arc' he was building with Elan, and plays no more role in the story. It's his perfect ironic punishment.

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Nov 21, 2013

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Piedmon Sama posted:

I'm guessing the OOTS is about to for-real escape and close this arc via the airship, whether or not Julio survives. My bolder prediction is the arc stinger is going to be something like -

Tarquin: drat! They haven't escaped me yet! I'm no dangling plothook--I'll track them down to the ends of the earth! Now, Laurin, what was it you wanted?
Laurin: Yeah Tarquin, sorry, about our arrangement? It's been changed. *Disentegrates/One-Hit-Kills Tarquin*

Tarquin dies due to political backstabbing completely unrelated to the 'arc' he was building with Elan, and plays no more role in the story. It's his perfect ironic punishment.

(Don't spoiler predictions, dummy)

I don't know why everyone thinks that Tarquin and company actually secretly hate each other, but anyone that thinks that Laurin is going to backstab him is super extra wrong.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Uranium Phoenix posted:

I don't know why everyone thinks that Tarquin and company actually secretly hate each other, but anyone that thinks that Laurin is going to backstab him is super extra wrong.

Seriously. The whole point of Tarquin and Company is that even Evil People can have friends who they like and trust and can rely on. To have Laurin backstab him just because it would be the cliche "evil thing to do" would totally undercut Rich's point. Not happening.

Strudel Man posted:

Because that's what you do in pun-fighting. You pick one topic and run with it until the end of the duel. Elan used food in his first duel with Nale, then blades vs Tarquin while Tarquin used son related puns. And now Julio's doing the carpet. That's just how pun fighting works.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Granted, he might yet say/do something in his anger in the aftermath that causes Laurin to snap on him, but... Yeah, at the moment we've got nothing indicating they've had any reason for animosity, considering their whole dynamic revolves around mutual self-interest.

Now, for an actual crackpot theory... :pseudo:

What if Tarquin made a massive misassumption all this time, and Julio is Elan's father? This theory is based mainly/solely on the "crashing weddings" line Julio makes in the latest strip.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Since Elan looks exactly like a younger Tarquin and nothing like a younger Julio, that's...unlikely.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Well that marriage was Legitimate enough that it was actually possible to go through a divorce so I THINK that might be something that started afterwards.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Trapezium Dave posted:

Hey, with 67 more comics to fill before the big One Thousand there's plenty of time for dangling plot threads.

Rich has consistently used his Big Anniversary Number strips for either a joke, or a bit of Ominous Foreshadowing (tm). I wouldn't expect Number One-Kay to be any different. It won't be the climax - it'll be the scene-setting denouement.

I'm gonna guess, out of those 67 strips, we'll see around 25 reserved for the end of the current arc, about 10 for side plots and checking in with other Important Players, 10 for a Team Evil drop-in, 21 for wrap-up and setting up the next arc, and then #1000 will be the Ominous Foreshadowing.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
People say that the point of this arc is that Tarquin's group won't betray each other yet none-the-less Tarquin was manipulating and in a way acting against Malack's interests throughout the whole strip. His ultimate plan was supposedly to pass the kingdom on to Malack after his death but in reality it was to lose his kingdom in a battle against his son with Malack supposedly getting nothing. He puts his family interests above Malack's with his plot to get Nale on the team instead of killing him, while technically not lying to him about it if I recall correctly. I think much more the point of the arc is that these lawful evil villains are actually all trying to undermine each other while maintaining their agreement to the letter . Perhaps Laurin's request is calling off the plan and just ruling with what they have now, or to release her from the agreement and let her live out the rest of her life with her daughter or some other thing that would jeopardize Tarquin's plans without actually betraying him.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Regalingualius posted:

Granted, he might yet say/do something in his anger in the aftermath that causes Laurin to snap on him, but... Yeah, at the moment we've got nothing indicating they've had any reason for animosity, considering their whole dynamic revolves around mutual self-interest.

Now, for an actual crackpot theory... :pseudo:

What if Tarquin made a massive misassumption all this time, and Julio is Elan's father? This theory is based mainly/solely on the "crashing weddings" line Julio makes in the latest strip.

No, Tarquin was there for Elan and Nale's birth. Plus the fact that Elan and Tarquin (and by extension Nale) all look very similar was a straight up plot point. Not unless Julio really is Tarkie's brother which could work, I guess. Though I'm thinking that's a pretty low probability outcome right there.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Like I said, it's a total crackpot that I do not seriously believe in.

...I am eating so much crow if that really does end up being the case.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Cliff Racer posted:

People say that the point of this arc is that Tarquin's group won't betray each other yet none-the-less Tarquin was manipulating and in a way acting against Malack's interests throughout the whole strip. His ultimate plan was supposedly to pass the kingdom on to Malack after his death but in reality it was to lose his kingdom in a battle against his son with Malack supposedly getting nothing. He puts his family interests above Malack's with his plot to get Nale on the team instead of killing him, while technically not lying to him about it if I recall correctly. I think much more the point of the arc is that these lawful evil villains are actually all trying to undermine each other while maintaining their agreement to the letter . Perhaps Laurin's request is calling off the plan and just ruling with what they have now, or to release her from the agreement and let her live out the rest of her life with her daughter or some other thing that would jeopardize Tarquin's plans without actually betraying him.

Nah, we should keep Rich's comments in context here, he writes fantasy as to make a point about the real world. Rich strongly believes in the concept of complex villains who can love and have meaningful relationships. Partly a running joke for Nale and Sabine but very much in full effect for Tarquin and his group.

Maybe Rich intends there to be a reasonable limit to how far this goes but to their perspective there aren't that many near epic lawful evil competent military generals they are willing to trust as much as they trust Tarquin, on the basis of their decades of prior adventuring together.

Tarquin wasn't plotting against Malack, he was setting up a 'heads I win, tails you lose' situation of regardless of who won he would be remembered. Either through Malack as a sort of fantasy Kim il-sung posthumous "Eternal General of the Empire" or through tale and song at the hands of his Heroic son. Malack as far as either of them knew would outlive both Tarquin and his son, and his son's son and so on and would continue to rule the empire or its inevitable successor state from the safety within the shadows.

Heck, to Tarquin's perspective he might even be helping Malack. From the logic that "If the Hero exists, so must the Empire"; for as long as Tarquin's descendents "live" to be Heroes in a very JoJo-esque way so to logically must exist Tarquin's empire under the guidance of Malack.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So, how many brides has Julio saved from Tarquin?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Uranium Phoenix posted:

I don't know why you think they are all super best pals other than Rich wrote an article one time saying "villains can have friends too!" We've actually only seen maybe the equivalent of a couple minutes of them onscreen together? It seems to me like the one who was actually close to Tarquin is the now-deceased vampire.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The rest of Tarquin's crew seemed shocked and upset that Malack was dead. Like, less "well poo poo, there goes an ally" and more "oh no, not my friend!"

e I thought Miron was also there but it was just Laurin. She looks just about horrified, and she disintegrates Nale's corpse. That speaks to fondness more than just a business relationship.

Pope Guilty fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Nov 21, 2013

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Strudel Man posted:

Maybe he has a higher level class ability that gives him a bonus if he sticks to a specific theme.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Rich has consistently used his Big Anniversary Number strips for either a joke, or a bit of Ominous Foreshadowing (tm). I wouldn't expect Number One-Kay to be any different. It won't be the climax - it'll be the scene-setting denouement.

I'm gonna guess, out of those 67 strips, we'll see around 25 reserved for the end of the current arc, about 10 for side plots and checking in with other Important Players, 10 for a Team Evil drop-in, 21 for wrap-up and setting up the next arc, and then #1000 will be the Ominous Foreshadowing.

He has, but this will be the one and only thousand strip marker. I will be very surprised if it isn't extra-special in some way.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Speedball posted:

So, how many brides has Julio saved from Tarquin?

Not enough, since he still got to play Bluebeard.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Strudel Man posted:

He's on his carpet right now, he's using it to the fullest by punning about it as well! Plus, he gets to save his A-grade material for when he gets knocked off the carpet.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Haley can fly?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Fangz posted:

Haley can fly?

Vaarsuvius cast a fly spell on her several strips ago. We didn't see the spell being cast because it cut away to the villains, but it happened between Roy's order to bring Haley and Elan back and its execution. See how he mentioned having one fly spell left in the first of these two links?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I'm not entirely sure we can count on escaping this desert without getting some exposition on the 6th member of Tarkie's crew. We already know a bit about Jacinda, but the guy working with Miron hasn't been mentioned at all yet.

Also, while I was looking around at older strips for who the 6th even was, I re-encountered Elan's pun duel with Tarquin - I wouldn't count him out just yet, he is apparently quite handy with that knife.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I'm not entirely sure we can count on escaping this desert without getting some exposition on the 6th member of Tarkie's crew. We already know a bit about Jacinda, but the guy working with Miron hasn't been mentioned at all yet.

Also, while I was looking around at older strips for who the 6th even was, I re-encountered Elan's pun duel with Tarquin - I wouldn't count him out just yet, he is apparently quite handy with that knife.

Yes, but Julio is not left handed.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MarquiseMindfang posted:

They aren't trying to kill him, just get away from him. A knife isn't the best weapon to stop that. In real life he might be able to take out Roy from a distance by throwing the knife, but in D&D it probably doesn't do enough damage for that.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Angela Christine posted:

They aren't trying to kill him, just get away from him. A knife isn't the best weapon to stop that. In real life he might be able to take out Roy from a distance by throwing the knife, but in D&D it probably doesn't do enough damage for that.

A dagger does an average of 3 points less than a greatsword. It's not big deal at higher levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Agreed. When your damage is X + 572, it doesn't matter much if X is 1d4 or 1d12 or whatever.