Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I think the Inferno starter is the best simply because it's a straightforward Turn Dudes Sideways deck with good removal. Necro has great removal and creatures as a faction but they're more defensive and less Aggro and less of those key spells come in the starter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Necro also comes with a bunch of absolute junk in the starter like all the 1-for-1 Raise Dead effects. Which are the first things you should drop.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Placed third (err by 1 break point) in my first Swiss tournament and got an Emilio's... I think it just made me 10x better at the game though, I was turtling too much before.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
I was able to get 1111 ELO today. I want to play some Swiss tournaments soon, I think. That seems to be where the money is. My issue is that I'm a slow player. But the more I play my deck the faster I'm getting.

El_Pato
Dec 27, 2007

Toshimo posted:

Necro also comes with a bunch of absolute junk in the starter like all the 1-for-1 Raise Dead effects. Which are the first things you should drop.

So why are they bad and what should I replace them with? I'm guessing copies of the things I'd like to be resurrecting? I'm just starting but have found them handy so far. Maybe because of limited options though...

El_Pato fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Nov 21, 2013

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Beat the flesh dude finally. That was crazy. I had no ground, got knocked down to 2 health, then for the next 14 turns I hung in there and he started taking damage for not being able to draw. I finally finished him off with a full board of monsters.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

El_Pato posted:

So why are they bad and what should I replace them with? I'm guessing copies of the things I'd like to be resurrecting? I'm just starting but have found them handy so far. Maybe because of limited options though...

Because, honestly, the limiting factor 90% of the time is cost. And if you spend 3 to put a dude back in your hand, it's like paying 3 more for the same dude. Just put good dudes in and you'll immediately start doing better. In fact, mediocre dudes are usually better than the Raise dead effects. Because they can help you curve out and/or get poo poo done faster. Like, my typical game goes 2 drop/3 drop/4 drop and then what do I want to do? Drop another cheap guy and a utility spell? Drop a 2+3 drop? Activate the 5-drop event? Drop a 5 drop? The answer is pretty much never "Play a 3 cost spell to get back a 2-drop and play it."

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
So I've had some time to tune my deck a little better and played Swiss pretty much all day to practice and try to get the Inferno win achievement. It took me a while, but I think after 8 or 9 tournaments (and plenty of 2nd place finishes) I was finally able to win with this deck:

Hero
Xorm, Champion of the Abyss

Creatures
Maniac x4
Dark Assassin x3
Succubus x4
Demented x4
Sea Elf Archer x2
Pao Deathseeker x4
Tormentor x1
Juggernaut x4
Cerberus x2
Pit Fiend x2
Lilim x4
Ravager x3

Spells
Fire Bolt x4

Fortunes
Gold Pile x4
Altar of Destruction x4
Altar of Wishes x1

Events
Mana Storm x1
Week of the Mercenaries x1
Day of Fortune x1
Week of the Weaponsmiths x3
Month of the Dancing Flames x2

I've since dropped one of the Maniacs for another Dark Assassin, though I think I may revise that and drop one of the Pit Fiends instead. I'm finding that if I'm in a situation where the Pit Fiend would be useful I'm usually on the losing side of the board. My deck seems to do the best when my opponent is struggling to patch holes in his defenses. It helps that nobody seems to expect Xorm's active, so a lot of situations where they're sure they've shored up their side of the board end in an easy victory for me. Any suggestions would be welcome, but I am really enjoying this aggressive style of play.

El_Pato posted:

Since card advantage is so important, paying 2x the cost and 2 cards to get one space of board presence is a bad trade any way you look at it. Reanimate effects in TCGs of any kind are only good if they restore the creature directly from the graveyard to the battlefield, and even then only specific cards are good when decks are built around those effects from the ground up. The best way to think of it is, "Would I have rather had this spell, or would I have rather had one more of the creature I was resurrecting in my deck?"

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Nov 21, 2013

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Toshimo posted:

Because, honestly, the limiting factor 90% of the time is cost. And if you spend 3 to put a dude back in your hand, it's like paying 3 more for the same dude. Just put good dudes in and you'll immediately start doing better. In fact, mediocre dudes are usually better than the Raise dead effects. Because they can help you curve out and/or get poo poo done faster. Like, my typical game goes 2 drop/3 drop/4 drop and then what do I want to do? Drop another cheap guy and a utility spell? Drop a 2+3 drop? Activate the 5-drop event? Drop a 5 drop? The answer is pretty much never "Play a 3 cost spell to get back a 2-drop and play it."

Toshimo brings up good points, and I agree. But... it would definitely be possible to build a deck where raise dead cards would be useful. For example, let's say you built a deck that basically just stalls until you can drop a big creature that's you win condition. In a deck like that I would consider running cards like raise dead.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Dahbadu posted:

Toshimo brings up good points, and I agree. But... it would definitely be possible to build a deck where raise dead cards would be useful. For example, let's say you built a deck that basically just stalls until you can drop a big creature that's you win condition. In a deck like that I would consider running cards like raise dead.

Isn't the creature tutor neutral? If so, why would you run recursion when you can run tutor? Search effects give you options: get the card you need if you don't have it, or grab another one when your current one dies, or even grab something else that's situationally more advantageous. Recursion is only good if your creature is already in the graveyard, which means it's pretty much a dead card (heh) if you draw it by itself and it's only conditionally useful.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The problem is that Atrophos already does that and does it very well, and he's searchable by the Bard. Combined with Adar Malik's effect, you can essentially have unlimited creatures. The only good revival cards for creatures are the two Seria uniques and those are more suited for Seria because she starts with two Destiny.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Isn't the creature tutor neutral? If so, why would you run recursion when you can run tutor? Search effects give you options: get the card you need if you don't have it, or grab another one when your current one dies, or even grab something else that's situationally more advantageous. Recursion is only good if your creature is already in the graveyard, which means it's pretty much a dead card (heh) if you draw it by itself and it's only conditionally useful.

You can only search for Unique creatures with the neutral creature tutor. But yeah, you're basically correct. What I was getting at is that it's possible to find a use for most cards.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Every time I grind up enough to purchase a pack and see no haven cards I want to cry. 101 Void Rising cards left before I can purchase them at the altar to.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Toshimo posted:

On the other hand, at 6 resources you will often want to get back the Pao Deathseeker you used on turn 3 or 5 so it can kill something else.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Jedit posted:

On the other hand, at 6 resources you will often want to get back the Pao Deathseeker you used on turn 3 or 5 so it can kill something else.

Eh, unless you're one of the few Necros that can't use Dark magic, just use a Soul Reaver. It's just very hard to justify a spot for it when you tally up the deck total.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Tae posted:

The problem is that Atrophos already does that and does it very well, and he's searchable by the Bard. Combined with Adar Malik's effect, you can essentially have unlimited creatures.

Void Judgment

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Isn't the creature tutor neutral? If so, why would you run recursion when you can run tutor?

Because the creature tutor costs 3 destiny and that's a tough sell for anyone but Seria in necro.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Onmi posted:

Every time I grind up enough to purchase a pack and see no haven cards I want to cry. 101 Void Rising cards left before I can purchase them at the altar to.

I bought the champion box yesterday and got 0 usable cards for my deck in 30 packs. Wildcards bought me the stuff I needed, but I think they need to work on the faction distribution in packs, esp. the sets with new factions. I have so many sanctuary cards now that it's kind of stupid.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Mirthless posted:

I bought the champion box yesterday and got 0 usable cards for my deck in 30 packs. Wildcards bought me the stuff I needed, but I think they need to work on the faction distribution in packs, esp. the sets with new factions. I have so many sanctuary cards now that it's kind of stupid.

This I noticed as well, I've always felt in faction-based games like this, that there should be like "Necropolis Pack" "Haven Pack" "Inferno Pack" which is just the cards of that faction. Because I think I'll be a broken man if I grind all the way up to Champions Box and don't pull the cards I want.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Having so much fun playing Stronghold. Add me, goons! Kold_Of_Caelin in-game.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Onmi posted:

This I noticed as well, I've always felt in faction-based games like this, that there should be like "Necropolis Pack" "Haven Pack" "Inferno Pack" which is just the cards of that faction. Because I think I'll be a broken man if I grind all the way up to Champions Box and don't pull the cards I want.

They don't do this on purpose. If you had the option of only buying in faction cards you'd never be temped to expand. It's part of the business model that you'll wind up with half a useable Sanctuary deck and say oh why not and expand that one too. Or you'll pull an epic you can't use and decide to build a new deck around that, etc.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

JoshTheStampede posted:

They don't do this on purpose. If you had the option of only buying in faction cards you'd never be temped to expand. It's part of the business model that you'll wind up with half a useable Sanctuary deck and say oh why not and expand that one too. Or you'll pull an epic you can't use and decide to build a new deck around that, etc.

Oh I know why the business model is like this, it just annoys the crap out of me.

At the very least we have the Altar of Wishes for Singles and the Inferno Pit for cash.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yeah, having the huge expansion of card options for other factions is nice, and I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of decks I can build with the cards I got. It still sucks to open 500 cards in a day and still have to go out and buy all your useful cards individually, but I guess that happens with Magic the Gathering, too.

Still, I'm hoping that once they get all the factions introduced they'll even out the card distribution, or start cycling in factions as the primary focus of each set. I'd love to see an Inferno or Necropolis focused set and what they could do with it given the opportunity.

Onmi posted:

Oh I know why the business model is like this, it just annoys the crap out of me.

At the very least we have the Altar of Wishes for Singles and the Inferno Pit for cash.

For all my frustration with opening packs, being able to go into the altar and buy 3 Pao Deathseekers and 4 Dark Assassins last night and build my deck up to a level I feel comfortable taking to 1000+ elo was a relief. Normally when I blow money on an IAP game and don't get what I want it ends up making me feel pretty lovely, so it's nice to be sure I'm going to at least get a few cards I want. This game's business model is really well put together - packs don't cost 3 dollars each, getting the cards you want is easy, you can (in theory) grind up anything you want, and the game itself is accessible without being oversimplified and complex without being frustrating, and most online card games seem to fit in column A or column B. If I was the Solforge development team, I would be loving terrified right now. I don't know how they can hope to compete against this game.

Hearthstone is probably still going to blow it out of the water, but much like Yugioh and Pokemon there's always going to be room for a competitor or two in the CCG market.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Nov 21, 2013

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

This game has a habit of letting me slide through with the victory by the skin of my teeth and feel awesome about it.

Just faced an Academy player on the road to Level 14, final duel for the level up and while it wasn't requires that I win, simply do well, I still wanted the win. It's pretty back and forth due to Academy's superior spell casting ability and my ability to swarm with monsters and then surprise with forked lightning or Bless. Several times we would wipe the field and seemingly gain the upperhand.

On the second last turn, he opened a hole in my defenses using Month of the Dancing Flames. I'm sitting at 6 Life, he's sitting at 5.

Icy weapon on his wizard. 5 Damage.

He has 3 Wizards on the field and another monster who I can't place. I have an open lane with a Expert Marksmen.

Draw.

Bless.

Trigger Month of the Dancing Flames.

Win with a single point of health left.

This is why I can enjoy this where as Solforge quickly lost luster. Much like Yu-Gi-Oh for me, provided you have a deck built well enough, you can sneak the victory on through against overwhelming odds. Whether it's a Marksmen making one final shot with a perfect buff play. Or King Artorigus wielding 5 swords despite two hands. I love that adrenaline rush that comes from pulling out the victory.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Nov 21, 2013

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

RE: Hearthstone

Because it's a Blizzard game, it's going to be super popular. But I've watched Kripparian play it a bunch, and honestly, the only thing Hearthstone seems to do better is the following:

- Sealed pack Arena tournament (which is cool)
- The game has an extra coat of polish in terms of sound and graphical effects
- A better card collection, deck building, and shop interface
- Possibly a more forgiving way to obtain and collect cards

Everything else, especially design, mechanics, deck building possibilities, etc. MMDoC seems to be a better and deeper game.

I haven't developed an opinion on Hex yet, and it probably wouldn't be fair for me to do so until they're nearing the end of beta. Like I said earlier in this thread, I actually got a Hex invite (finally), but I'm not interested in playing it because I'm hooked on MMDoC.

RE: Winning by the skin of your teeth

Yeah, I love it when I can pull a game from behind. My current Academy deck matures mid-to-late game, so almost all of my wins are around turn 12+, and the opponent is usually kicking my rear end for a good portion of it. What's cool is, if your deck is built for it, you can do legit comebacks in this game pretty easily and a lot of games come down to a single turn or card. From what I saw of Hearthstone, there was slightly more of a snowball effect.

Wagoneer
Jul 16, 2006

hay there!
Anyone else find the Swiss tourneys incredibly easy? I haven't ranked below 3rd in any tournament. How are people matched up in these?

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Onmi posted:

This game has a habit of letting me slide through with the victory by the skin of my teeth and feel awesome about it.

Yeah, I definitely agree with this. I also love winning when people don't understand how their cards work, especially when it's a guy with a bunch of rares and crap in his deck and I'm just barely past having the starter one.

e: My favorite was when a guy says to me "wtf I have magic shield on" when I killed one of his creatures with the Hailstorm event card he had in his deck. The best part about this is I tried to use a "remove all ongoing magic spells in play" to remove some fortune card he had that prevented my creatures from attacking that turn because I didn't understand it wouldn't remove an ongoing fortune, so he had plenty of opportunity to see that and learn from it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

WarEternal posted:

Yeah, I definitely agree with this. I also love winning when people don't understand how their cards work, especially when it's a guy with a bunch of rares and crap in his deck and I'm just barely past having the starter one.

e: My favorite was when a guy says to me "wtf I have magic shield on" when I killed one of his creatures with the Hailstorm event card he had in his deck. The best part about this is I tried to use a "remove all ongoing magic spells in play" to remove some fortune card he had that prevented my creatures from attacking that turn because I didn't understand it wouldn't remove an ongoing fortune, so he had plenty of opportunity to see that and learn from it.

Hail Storm doesn't deal magic damage. An important thing to know, as it won't harm Incorporeal creatures.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Wagoneer posted:

Anyone else find the Swiss tourneys incredibly easy? I haven't ranked below 3rd in any tournament. How are people matched up in these?

Since the matchmaking in Swiss is entirely random and there is a huge influx of new players, most of the people playing in the swiss tournaments are players new to the game on the low end of the elo spectrum. I imagine this will even out given enough time and it probably won't make sense for low elo players to queue swiss at all.

WarEternal posted:

I think my one complaint with MMDOC is that some of the rules are unclear when it comes to on-card abilities. I put a couple of Tormentors in my deck to deal with Haven, only to find out that "Magic Melee" counts as both melee and magic for the purpose of damage reduction. Having the second type just makes it worse against everything except incorporeal creatures. This isn't obvious until it blows up in your face.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 21, 2013

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Wagoneer posted:

First one wasn't bad, then I played a couple more and got wiped out easily against super strong powerful decks.

CrimsonWolf
Aug 4, 2007

Ingame name is redwolf4073.

Rereading the op to find out how to beat fleashbane with my necro starter. Also what should I spend my 50k gold on first?

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

I would buy Herald of the Void packs (non-premium) or Void Rising packs (non-premium) with your 50k gold. You will probably get at least 1 or 2 cards you can use.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Played two swiss tournaments last night and was destroyed in both of them. But I haven't been doing to great in the game so far so kinda expected it.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Lt_Tofu posted:

Played two swiss tournaments last night and was destroyed in both of them. But I haven't been doing to great in the game so far so kinda expected it.

Hmmm... This is getting me thinking about something. From what I've read, this game has a strong European following. It would make sense that, at least for tournaments, the toughest competition would be on during European primetime. The US player base is probably newer and catching up. So if you play during American primetime, you may have an easier time doing Swiss. Not sure, just a theory.

Also, given the rewards, it's only a matter of time before the US player base catches up, and Swiss is tough across the board.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Dahbadu posted:

Hmmm... This is getting me thinking about something. From what I've read, this game has a strong European following. It would make sense that, at least for tournaments, the toughest competition would be on during European primetime. The US player base is probably newer and catching up. So if you play during American primetime, you may have an easier time doing Swiss. Not sure, just a theory.

Also, given the rewards, it's only a matter of time before the US player base catches up.

That's been true, the game is located in Europe, Ubisoft is europe, and all the most popular players and streamers are in Europe. High jackpot players always joked that the best time to do jackpot is during American afternoons.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I accidently clicked on the jackpot tournament instead of swiss, now I'm stuck in it. Is there any way to get out of it?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

thylacine posted:

I accidently clicked on the jackpot tournament instead of swiss, now I'm stuck in it. Is there any way to get out of it?

No, but they only run one kind of tournament at a time (so far as I know after a week of playing) so there's not really any reason to do so. Unlike Swiss, being in a Jackpot tournament doesn't really interfere with your ability to do anything else in the game.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
I'm getting really sick of Dark Magic instakill cards.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

thylacine posted:

There's no need to. Jackpot tournaments are free, you're basically just duelling at a lower return of gold. If you don't want to compete, just ignore it and tomorrow at 1pm it'll be Swiss again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Man, I made a Sandalphon weenie deck with the usual mass removal. poo poo is pretty much cheating. After playing Necro, the sheer speed at which I poo poo out my hand is absurd as Haven. And thanks to Tithe collector, going first feels like less of a waste. And going second with double tithe collector into Crusader is hilarious. People keep quitting after two turns.

• Locked thread