Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

AnimalChin posted:

Mind if I ask how you get your news and how it's set up?

I subscribe to a couple car magazines, some pipe tobacco stuff, some local stuff, a couple music websites, android stuff, and a few general news sources and there's no way I could manage it all and what I have and haven't read without something like feedly + gReader.

I just don't see how I could manage it all with a widget unless I was checking in on it every 10 minutes.

I just use Feedly. If an interesting story comes across the widget I'll read it, otherwise I usually just flip through the app at lunch or on break, ready what I want, ignore the rest.

What I don't like about Newstand so far (and didn't like about Currents) is that it doesn't have a view for all articles from all source in chronological order, and that it tries to guess at what might interest you and feed you that in a random manner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Is Gentle Alarm the go-to alarm clock recommendation here? I'm looking for something that'll learn my sleep cycles and adjust the wake up time accordingly.

Hypothetical Hose
Jun 6, 2010

Biggest human being Ever posted:

Is Gentle Alarm the go-to alarm clock recommendation here? I'm looking for something that'll learn my sleep cycles and adjust the wake up time accordingly.

I use SleepBot and it seems to do a pretty good job.
Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lslk.sleepbot

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Timely has kind of become the new favorite. It won't 'learn' anything but it does the pre-alarm thing and it's pretty.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Tunga posted:

To answer my own post:

No, that isn't true. Most stuff is charged as normal but a bunch of specific things are free. Here are some that I found which are currently free (in the UK, may be different elsewhere):

PC Gamer (UK)
EDGE
Total Film
Android Magazine
Maximum PC
Cycling Plus
T3
MacFormat
Mac|Life
SFX
Official Xbox Magazine
Chrochet Today
.net

Back issues seem to all show the correct prices so it may be an intentional offer that Google are running but they haven't actually mentioned it anywhere that I can find.

Lots of others also show up for wildly different prices to the ones in the category listings. Sometimes a lot cheaper, sometimes more expensive.

Basically go grab some free magazines.

Yeah there seems to be some kind of promotion going on with the Newstand launch, here's the link from play.google.com that works for me in the US at least:
https://play.google.com/store/newsstand/collection/promotion_600021d_newsstand_launch

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Gentle Alarm doesn't do that on its own, it requires SleepBot. What Gentle Alarm does have is a pre-alarm which is a light alarm that goes off 30 minutes before your alarm time with the idea that if you're deeply asleep you'll sleep through it but if you're in the light sleep you'll get up. I will say this, the pre-alarm thing is not a gimmick. I sleep weird hours and when I started using Gentle Alarm years ago the effect was immediate and positive.

I used Gentle Alarm from that point on but moved to Timely, an absolutely beautiful alarm app because Gentle Alarm's development has pretty much stopped at this point and there were some choices that were driving me insane. One I remember in particular was that the developer added a "feature" where if you're in the app the screen will not time out ever. So I'd set alarm to remind me of something at work at about ten minutes later my pocket felt like it was on fire and my battery lost 30% because the screen never went off. That's when Timely was released and I'm still in love with it.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Has anyone been able to get Plants vs. Zombies 2 running on a Kindle Fire? It installs from the Google Play store with no problem, but after the Popcap splash screen the display is just black (though the music keeps going). I've read about other people having the same issue with this and other devices (sometimes intermittently, sometimes consistently), but no solutions. Any suggestions, or is it just incompatible and the play store isn't hiding it correctly?

KoB
May 1, 2009
Seconding Timely.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Timely looks neat but how much does it cost? You have to pay to remove ads but it doesn't say how much.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
I've been rocking Sleep As Android since it came out. Not sure why it's not as popular. It seems to track sleep pretty well (and it's built in). It has smart alarms for waking during light sleep, too.

SneakyBeef
Jan 1, 2012

Timely looks neat but how much does it cost? You have to pay to remove ads but it doesn't say how much.

At the bottom of the settings page there's a button to share the app and earn credits. You can use said credits to unlock the features you want.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I doubt it's still available but when I bought it there was an Early Bird IAP that unlocked everything for $3. It's so well done I didn't mind paying whatever they asked. If that isn't an option, what SneakyBeef is the case. You can earn credits by referring friends toward IAPs that unlock specific features depending on what's important to you.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Normy posted:

Cliffhanger works fine for me.

Bummer, not compatible with my device.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Red Warrior posted:

Yeah there seems to be some kind of promotion going on with the Newstand launch, here's the link from play.google.com that works for me in the US at least:
https://play.google.com/store/newsstand/collection/promotion_600021d_newsstand_launch
Yeah this now shows up in the UK too. It wasn't there as a category earlier so there were just weird broken prices and free issues to be found at random.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

This newsstand thing looks nice enough, but it really needs the page flip style from Currents, if only as an option. Scrolling just doesn't cut it

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

baka kaba posted:

This newsstand thing looks nice enough, but it really needs the page flip style from Currents, if only as an option. Scrolling just doesn't cut it
No way, scrolling is much better. It was annoying in Currents that sometimes you'd get an article that Google couldn't format or whatever so it was just the webpage and you had to vertical scroll it. The new way is more consistent. Scroll down to read more, slide right to skip.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
I wanted to get Moto X-like notifications on my Nexus 5, so I found this app, DynamicNotifications: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.greatbytes.activenotifications

It actually works pretty well, and it's not a battery hog at all.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

No way, scrolling is much better. It was annoying in Currents that sometimes you'd get an article that Google couldn't format or whatever so it was just the webpage and you had to vertical scroll it. The new way is more consistent. Scroll down to read more, slide right to skip.

Read scroll scroll scroll read scroll scroll scroll read scroll scroll scroll

Or readscrollreadscrollreadscrollreadscroll

Versus read tap read tap

I don't care about consistency through compromise really, if you got a page that had to go in a webview at least you only had to put up with it for that article. The flip system is way better for paging through articles, and if I want to read the next article I'll drat well click on it :clint:

They could at least add tap to scroll or something or swipe up and down, this is too much like micromanagement

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

bull3964 posted:

What I want to know is if they finally added cross device last page read syncing in Magazines. I'm guessing probably not, but one can hope.

Shocker of shockers, magazines now sync last read page across devices!

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So BS Player is basically perfect except for one thing: I can't figure out how to figure get it to display what episode is playing from a playlist. It's not anywhere in the OSD and pressing the back button stops playback. Am I missing something simple here?

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

BoyBlunder posted:

I wanted to get Moto X-like notifications on my Nexus 5, so I found this app, DynamicNotifications: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.greatbytes.activenotifications

It actually works pretty well, and it's not a battery hog at all.
A somewhat nice thing too is that it has lockscreen functionality that you can toggle with app shortcuts. I'm trying to make it play nicely with llama to enable a password lockscreen when the phone hasn't been used in a couple of minues and using dynamic notifications to avoid buttdialing when the phone has recently been used.

Tricky part is making it disable the dynamic notifications lockscreen when it enables the passworded one. It works somewhat correctly now at least, but sometimes it still enables both of them.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I'm after a simple SMS client that displays conversations like a chat log, something like

Nov 21, 2013
13:56 - Wife: can you pick up some pasta for dinner?
13:56 - Wife: oh and some peaches too
13:56 - Wife: and some apples
13:56 - Wife: and maybe some tomatoes too
13:58 - Me: yep, no worries

Everything I've seen seems to be SPEECH BUBBLE FRENZY!

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

psylent posted:

I'm after a simple SMS client that displays conversations like a chat log, something like

Nov 21, 2013

I use 8SMS, it's the stock android app with some basic enhancements.

pistolshit
May 15, 2004

psylent posted:

Nov 21, 2013

I've been happy with Hello https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hellotext.hello

Tabbed conversations too. Otherwise, it's pretty barebones.

Edit: oh, and group chat works fine for me in hello. Which wasn't the case otherwise. I'm on 4.1.

pistolshit fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Nov 21, 2013

Malkovich
Jul 11, 2000

pistolshit posted:

I've been happy with Hello https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hellotext.hello

Edit: oh, and group chat works fine for me in hello. Which wasn't the case otherwise. I'm on 4.1.

This is quite nice, thanks.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Wow.

HBO Go has been updated to 4.4 compatibility AND it brings Chromcast support.

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/11/21/hbo-go-on-android-now-supports-chromecast-thanks-to-latest-update/

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

pistolshit posted:

Does this have popup notifications?

pistolshit
May 15, 2004

I don't know. I've never tried to use popup notifications. There is nothing native to the app for them though. The notifications seem to work the same as typical Messages notifications, so if you're use a 3rd party popup notification it might work.

pistolshit fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 21, 2013

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

bull3964 posted:

Wow.

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/11/21/hbo-go-on-android-now-supports-chromecast-thanks-to-latest-update/

Can HBO Go be subscribed to independently, or is it only in conjunction with an actual HBO sub?

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

AlexDeGruven posted:

Can HBO Go be subscribed to independently, or is it only in conjunction with an actual HBO sub?

Comcast is testing a plan with hbo go and Internet service but largely you need the TV

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Can Google Now read your texts to you? If so, how?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

blakout posted:

Comcast is testing a plan with hbo go and Internet service but largely you need the TV

I'm not in a Comcast area (thankfully), but good to know.

I already don't have HBO, but it would have been an interesting addition for my Chromecast if I could get it ala carte.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Can Google Now read your texts to you? If so, how?

Don't think so.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
There is no generalized Google services topic, but I think you guys will be able to answer this just as well:

I've got a google account associated with an email address at a domain I own, and I also have a google account which is entirely seperate and is largely just there for gmail. Obviously things would be a bit cleaner around here if I could merge them, but a cursory search indicates there isn't a way to do that.

If I delete the Gmail account, will the @gmail.com email address be vacated so that I can just use it to create a new gmail inbox on the other account? If not, I'm open to reccomendations. This is actually pretty clearly not possible, actually. drat.

Also: It would be convenient if I could set the MX records for an email address at the domain I own to go directly into a Gmail interface instead of using POP. I know this was a thing that you could do with Google Apps, but I don't have google apps. Is there a way to achieve the same thing with a personal google account?

Eikre fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 21, 2013

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

bull3964 posted:

Wow.

And it finally works on the Note 3! Hopefully a MAX GO update is next.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

Eikre posted:

There is no generalized Google services topic, but I think you guys will be able to answer this just as well:

I've got a google account associated with an email address at a domain I own, and I also have a google account which is entirely seperate and is largely just there for gmail. Obviously things would be a bit cleaner around here if I could merge them, but a cursory search indicates there isn't a way to do that.

If I delete the Gmail account, will the @gmail.com email address be vacated so that I can just use it to create a new gmail inbox on the other account? If not, I'm open to reccomendations.

Also: It would be convenient if I could set the MX records for an email address at the domain I own to go directly into a Gmail interface instead of using POP. I know this was a thing that you could do with Google Apps, but I don't have google apps. Is there a way to achieve the same thing with a personal google account?

If you delete the gmail account the address is gone forever so don't do that. You should have gotten google apps when it was free! There is a workaround using App Engine but I don't know if it still works:

http://www.techwalls.com/register-free-google-apps-standard-account-single-user/

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Eikre posted:

If I delete the Gmail account, will the @gmail.com email address be vacated so that I can just use it to create a new gmail inbox on the other account? If not, I'm open to reccomendations. This is actually pretty clearly not possible, actually. drat.

It's a royal pain but only one time. In your GMail account go under settings -> account. You need to setup both "Check mail from other accounts" and "Send mail as". The check mail from other accounts will pull your mail into GMail at regular intervals (15-60 minutes). The "send mail as" will let you send mail as your other domain from GMail. If you don't do this the receiver will see something like "me@gmail.com sending on behalf of me@mydomain.com". You also need to make sure the "When replying to a message" is checked a "Reply from the same adress the message was sent to". All of this assumes you have this setup: me@domain.com and me@gmail.com and you want to keep them separate but check the mail in GMail's interface.

One sticking point is if you check your GMail account from a non-GMail app like iMail. It won't know about the "send mail as" and you'll get the on behalf messages or it will send as your GMail account. The GMail apps on Android and iOS do know how to do this.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Yeah, pretty sure that's POP/IMAP and SMTP, like I said. Not what I want, but thank you.

The App Engine thing looks good, I'm going to try that. I'm kind of tempted now to just drop my Gmail address forever, just for the sake of cleanliness. Anybody that I really care about who had that address would know where to find me, anyway.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Eikre posted:

Yeah, pretty sure that's POP/IMAP and SMTP, like I said. Not what I want, but thank you.

The App Engine thing looks good, I'm going to try that. I'm kind of tempted now to just drop my Gmail address forever, just for the sake of cleanliness. Anybody that I really care about who had that address would know where to find me, anyway.
Just an FYI, a ton of Android features come out that regularly exclude Google Apps accounts. I don't keep track since I don't have one but I do know that it's a source of frustration for those users.

e: vvv Good to know. I remember it being the bad a while ago but like I said I never followed closely.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

LastInLine posted:

Just an FYI, a ton of Android features come out that regularly exclude Google Apps accounts. I don't keep track since I don't have one but I do know that it's a source of frustration for those users.

This used to be the case but I've been using Google Apps exclusively for 6 years and haven't run into any limitations for the last couple years.

Not saying you won't run into any issues but pretty much every single feature people use daily will work with google apps.

• Locked thread