Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Wario Kart 64 posted:

Was Calvin a realistic candidate for heisman at GT? Seems like he could have been with a better QB

He had Heisman hype during preseason which shows how ridiculous of a prospect he was. If Heisman voters gave the award to anyone other than running backs and quarterbacks then he might have had a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warheadr
Jul 6, 2005
Remember when Johnson admitted in NFL interviews to smoking weed in college and it was a big thing for a hot minute, that was fun.

Also yea, doing even close to what he did in college with Reggie loving Ball as QB should have gotten him every award there was. Although if any receiver in recent time deserved to win the Heisman most, I'd say it was Fitz.

code:
							Rec.	Yds.	Avg.	TD
*2003 	Pittsburgh 	Big East 	SO 	WR 	92 	1672 	18.2 	22 
I mean seriously, look at those numbers.

EDIT: just for kicks I started looking at other really good receivers in recent years, since I haven't followed college ball super-long and don't know much going way back. Most of the big-time receivers recently don't touch those numbers across the board. But Crabtree's freshman year he had 134 catches for 1962 yds, god drat.

warheadr fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Nov 20, 2013

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

warheadr posted:

Remember when Johnson admitted in NFL interviews to smoking weed in college and it was a big thing for a hot minute, that was fun.

Also yea, doing even close to what he did in college with Reggie loving Ball as QB should have gotten him every award there was. Although if any receiver in recent time deserved to win the Heisman most, I'd say it was Fitz.

code:
							Rec.	Yds.	Avg.	TD
*2003 	Pittsburgh 	Big East 	SO 	WR 	92 	1672 	18.2 	22 
I mean seriously, look at those numbers.

EDIT: just for kicks I started looking at other really good receivers in recent years, since I haven't followed college ball super-long and don't know much going way back. Most of the big-time receivers recently don't touch those numbers across the board. But Crabtree's freshman year he had 134 catches for 1962 yds, god drat.

Michael Crabtree was a superprospect like Fitz or Megatron although some of his stats were buoyed by Mike Leach's air raid

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Mike Evans is really good and will do well at the next level because he's huge and can jump real high to catch the ball. Although he's kinda slowish he looks very scary to try and bring down in the open field and will sometimes do ridiculous poo poo like his hurdle against Ole Miss.

That said he hasn't made a few catches that he normally makes the past few games, but thats more on me expecting him to catch everything within 2 feet of his hands no matter the coverage.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Declan MacManus posted:

Michael Crabtree was a superprospect like Fitz or Megatron although some of his stats were buoyed by Mike Leach's air raid

I'm pretty sure one of the major knocks against Crabtree, aside from the foot fracture he suffered prior to the combine, was a lack of elite speed. He was nowhere near Johnson's level in that regard (or really most measurables).

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I've noticed that Evans is a little inefficient with his movement after the catch (hesitation on what direction to go, failure to move north/south) but that seems like behavior that should be teachable.

This WR class is seriously loving stacked. As of right now I'd rank the top 5, for the Ravens purposes, as

Mike Evans
Sammy Watkins
Jordan Matthews
Marquise Lee
Davante Adams (if he declares)

Even if you miss on the early round there are guys like Kevin Benjamin, Donte Montcrief, and Brandon Coleman who would all be decent pick ups.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Allen Robinson will probably be in the draft.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Another quality guy. This class lacks the Fitzgerald/Green/Johnson/Johnson, but the depth is kind of crazy.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
What are Kevin Norwood's chances in the NFL? I legitimately have not seen him get clowned all year, he's easily the most reliable WR on Alabama's offense, maybe their most reliable offensive player in general.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast
I am salivating over the Steelers most likely having a high draft pick and those receiver choices. I know that the Steelers have about 5 positions of greater need than receiver and will almost certainly be taking an OT with their first, but the Steelers never make sexy picks and I want them to for once.

EDIT: Steelers former 1st rounders -

2013 - Jarvis Jones, OLB. Fairly sexy pick, everyone loves a good pass rusher. He isnt a good pass rusher of course, but it seemed like a good idea at the time!

2012 - David DeCastro, G. A needed pick, but an interior lineman in the first is about as unexciting as a pick gets. Except for maybe a 3-4 DE. I wonder if the Steelers have any other interior O linemen or 3-4 DE's as recent 1st round draft picks?

2011 - Cam Heyward, DE. A 3-4 DE in the first, wheeeeeeeeee.

2010 - Maurkice Pouncey, C. A center in the first. STEELERS SMASHMOUTH FOOTBAW

2009 - Ziggy Hood, DE. A 3-4 DE in the first, wheeeeeeeeee. Also, sucks horrifically.

2008 - Rashard Mendenhall, RB. Holy gently caress a skill position player! Was also about the least exciting RB a draft that included Darren McFadden, Jonathan Stewart, Chris Johnson, Matt Forte, Ray Rice, and Jamaal Charles. Yes, all of those guys were in the same draft.

2007 - Lawrence Timmons, MLB. Great MLB, still not a super exciting pick.

2006 - Santonio Holmes, WR. The Steelers got to take the first receiver in the draft! He did some good stuff! I was legit excited for this pick.

WinnebagoWarrior fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Nov 20, 2013

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Declan MacManus posted:

Not even close. He was a mid first guy at absolute best.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Declan MacManus posted:

No, no he wasn't.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast
Yeah, I was under the impression that Crabtree was more like the best guy out of a group of good guys the year he came out, not head and shoulders above everyone else.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
So is anyone going to the draft this year? My crew and I are planning to make it three years in a row for Day 1, but I'll probably stay home days 2 and 3. We did all of day 3 earlier this year and that poo poo is pretty grueling.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I distinctly remember Crabtree being called "Generational" all the way up until right before the draft

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

TheChirurgeon posted:

So is anyone going to the draft this year? My crew and I are planning to make it three years in a row for Day 1, but I'll probably stay home days 2 and 3. We did all of day 3 earlier this year and that poo poo is pretty grueling.
How do you get a ticket for the draft?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Blitz7x posted:

I distinctly remember Crabtree being called "Generational" all the way up until right before the draft
He was considered a humongous breakout player as a freshman but I don't recall that hanging all the way to the draft. Bear in mind other wide receivers in college at the time were like... Malcolm Kelly and Limas Sweed.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Blitz7x posted:

It was because of that game against Texas when he blew the gently caress up. Right then everyone decided Crabtree was far and away the best WR prospect. I don't think he was ever projected to go any higher than the Raiders at 7 though. Everyone put him there. There were a few random thoughts that perhaps the Raiders would see Maclin or Harvin as the top receiver in the draft and get them at 7 instead, but NOPE.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

*shutters*

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Marquise Lee is going to rule so hard in the NFL

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Volkerball posted:

It was because of that game against Texas when he blew the gently caress up. Right then everyone decided Crabtree was far and away the best WR prospect. I don't think he was ever projected to go any higher than the Raiders at 7 though. Everyone put him there. There were a few random thoughts that perhaps the Raiders would see Maclin or Harvin as the top receiver in the draft and get them at 7 instead, but NOPE.

Yeah but Oakland drafted DHB at #7

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah but Oakland drafted DHB at #7

We had this Al Davis.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Volkerball posted:

We had this Al Davis.

I mean it's not like Crabtree has blown up or anything and he held out with the Niners (and almost sat the whole season). I wouldn't say Davis made a terrible call by not drafting him*. Saying "Crabtree is the best WR on the 49ers" is not some great statement of quality.

*though DHB was a bad call, obviously

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 20, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

A wide receiver didn't break out with Alex Smith throwing to him? Now there's a surprise.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
Yeah, let's not forget DHB had that JaMarcus Russel tossing him the ball as directed by Ted "loving" Tollner and Paul Hackett.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

He sucks with Luck too but we knew his hands were bad before he even entered the NFL.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

Quest For Glory II posted:

He sucks with Luck too but we knew his hands were bad before he even entered the NFL.

Yeah, he broke permanently now. I personally think that if the Raiders drafted Crabtree the conversation over who was better would be totally different. Hands can be taught but speed cannot and bad coaching will ruin prospects.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

SlipUp posted:

Yeah, he broke permanently now. I personally think that if the Raiders drafted Crabtree the conversation over who was better would be totally different. Hands can be taught but speed cannot and bad coaching will ruin prospects.

DHB was faster than Crabtree by quite a bit, but both teams had terrible coaching at the time.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Bradley Roby has officially declared for the draft.

He's having a down season but might still be the best CB on the board.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Has anyone really been standout at TE this year? It seems ASJ has fallen back a bit, and I really haven't seen anyone else that plays a Graham-like WR/TE big man with speed hybrid.

Though we'll probably need to snag Clinton-Dix anyway in the 1st.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Abugadu posted:

Has anyone really been standout at TE this year? It seems ASJ has fallen back a bit, and I really haven't seen anyone else that plays a Graham-like WR/TE big man with speed hybrid.

Ebron from North Carolina is as dominant TE there has been this year. I'd be surprised if he lasted past 20.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Jace Amaro out of Texas Tech has jumped up draft boards this month specifically because of his combination of size and speed. I'm still really high on Austin Seferian-Jenkins. If he drops to the Ravens in the 2nd I would be quite happy.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Who was the TE that got busted for coke a couple weeks back? I want to say he was from Oregon.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Yep, Colt Lyerla. He left Oregon earlier in the season due to personal reasons. I guess the need to do a lot of blow counts as personal.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Lyerla has been doing coke and steroids since his junior year in high school. No team should go near him.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

vaginal culture posted:

Lyerla has been doing coke and steroids since his junior year in high school. No team should go near him.

Most college football players with NFL aspirations are on steroids. Also cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Bigass Moth posted:

Most college football players with NFL aspirations are on steroids. Also cocaine is a hell of a drug.

The larger point is that he hasn't given enough of a poo poo to hide it which is a =| serious red flag =|

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SlipUp posted:

He's broke permanently now? What? Your argument belongs in preseason 2009. The bottom line is that even for what DHB was sold as, a fast, tall guy with no experience and bad hands, he quickly showed that he was far behind. Nobody thought he was so bad that Louis Murphy would be better than him at every phase of the game as rookies. He dropped balls when there was no one ten yards around him almost every time out. Lost huge games like that. He was dominated at the line of scrimmage, and his routes were godawful. You expect better from a UFA that earned a roster spot. The fact that he's come from that to a great run blocker, a solid route runner, and has developed beautiful body positioning, enough so to warrant another contract with another team after he got cut, is really a testament to how good Greg Knapp Hue Jacksons offense was at getting guys comfortable and helping them succeed doing what they were good at. DHB isn't broken. He's a great guy, a hard worker, and he's always doing everything he can to get himself better. He's good at all the parts of "hands" that can be taught. It's his hand eye coordination in that second he has to grab it that gets him. That's why it's so frustrating, because he'll make a play to get position on the ball and it bounces off his loving hands. Hopefully, it'll click for him some day. God knows he's in a good place to do it.

With the Crabtree thing, I'm glad we didn't pick him. The 2009 Raiders were hosed as a team, and a rookie holdout with the spotlight on him making noise wouldn't have helped the team rebuild. DHB is a class act, and I don't think there's many players who could be as under the microscope as he was his rookie season, performed as god awful as he did, and continued to come in every day and give it 100% effort without any drama. That doesn't change the fact that as far as quality of prospects goes, 4 receivers could have been drafted with the first 6 picks, and the Raiders still would have been fools to think DHB was the best receiver available.

defiantgiant
Oct 17, 2004

YOU ARE RIDICULOUS now please stop running backward all the time kthx

Democratic Pirate posted:

Mike Evans is really good and will do well at the next level because he's huge and can jump real high to catch the ball. Although he's kinda slowish he looks very scary to try and bring down in the open field and will sometimes do ridiculous poo poo like his hurdle against Ole Miss.

That said he hasn't made a few catches that he normally makes the past few games, but thats more on me expecting him to catch everything within 2 feet of his hands no matter the coverage.

I'm kinda hoping the Browns somehow manage to get Evans and Manziel with their two firsts. If you were going to draft Manziel, you'd definitely have to be ready for him to hold the ball forever and play sandlot football like Roethlisberger or Mike Vick. And if you're drafting a guy (at least in part) because of his ability on broken plays, it makes a lot of sense to get a receiver who he's already comfortable with in those situations, who's really good at working open and coming back to the football.

Plus, holy poo poo would Josh Gordon and Mike Evans be a sick WR duo. Gordon down the field, Evans underneath, both of them are like 6'5"...that would rule.

Also, I'm starting to wonder if this is the year when the Bears draft a QB to develop behind Cutler. If Derek Carr falls to their second-round pick, I wonder if they'd pull the trigger. He's sort of intriguing: if Trestman could improve his mechanics under pressure and coach him to get the ball out on time (the way he has with Cutler and McCown,) it seems like he could be a pretty good QB. I'm a big Cutler fan, but I would love it if they went the Aaron Rodgers route and had a guy waiting behind him, learning the offense for like 3 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Let me tell you about people with the last name Carr and their poor mechanics while pressured and inability to get the ball out before being sacked.

• Locked thread