Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Cultural Imperial posted:

So knowing all this, why aren't you telling your sister to save her cash?

I just might, after seeing that graph of doom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

eXXon posted:

or how sometimes windows fall off and kill people.

I remember someone on this very forum accused me of being jealous when I brought that up which is funny since I live in sunny Los Angeles now.

I can imagine the mindsets of people that recently own right now is similar to a pyramid scheme cult. I experienced the housing crisis here in California and I find it embarrassing that it's going to happen to a country I assumed knew better.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
My cousin and her fiancé bought a yet to be completed town house on the hill above Burnaby a few years ago. It'll be done mid next year. She's saying it's now valued a whole $25,000 over the purchase price. And they are staying in it for at least five years. I believe purchase price was north of $500k.

Please tell me this isn't as bad as I think it might be. I'm pretty sure they can afford it, surprisingly.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
A <5% annual ROI. Golly.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

French Canadian posted:

My cousin and her fiancé bought a yet to be completed town house on the hill above Burnaby a few years ago. It'll be done mid next year. She's saying it's now valued a whole $25,000 over the purchase price. And they are staying in it for at least five years. I believe purchase price was north of $500k.

Please tell me this isn't as bad as I think it might be. I'm pretty sure they can afford it, surprisingly.

I don't think a single property has appreciated in value since 2007. That is, if you bought property in 2007 and sold today, you would have broken even.

What do your cousin and fiancee do for a living?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I'm spending the week in Calgary and holy loving poo poo. If I had to spend 800k to live in a house here, I'd kill myself instead.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Buying a house in Alberta is basically the same as giving up on life.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

etalian posted:

Even more since Canadian household debt number also passed the worst levels of the US bubble.

Suddenly being 24 and having zero debt because I opted to ignore the post-secondary degree mill idiocy is so much more appealing than it usually is. This is going to be spectacular when it goes boom. :yum:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Rime posted:

Suddenly being 24 and having zero debt because I opted to ignore the post-secondary degree mill idiocy is so much more appealing than it usually is. This is going to be spectacular when it goes boom. :yum:

I'm sorry but this argument for not pursuing a post secondary degree in Canada is a load of poo poo. I'll qualify that by saying a degree from a University and not a loving degree mill like KWANTLEN UNIVERISTY LOL is worth the debt.

Your argument is valid in the US and for-profit schools like art institute or royal roads.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, I'm 25 and dropped out from my degree at the University of Ottawa, but I still fully believe that for a lot of people university is a good option and worth the money to increase their overall earnings later in life.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I used to sift through CVs into two piles: with university degree, without. In vancouver, the 'with' pile was really loving thin.

I knew I had absolutely no hope in hell of finding any applicants with relevant university degrees.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
/

Rime fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 8, 2022

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Rime posted:

I'm sure the Masters in Archaeology I had planned to pursue would have been SUCH a payoff compared to the startup I've worked at for five years.

No degree is "worth the debt", that line of thinking died around the same time as the dot com implosion. At least we won't be facing a shortage of baristas for decades to come thanks to people like you still parroting it though!

As far as i know, people like you working at dope rear end internet startups like hootsuite and silicon sisters make a sweet 60k/year. drat son that is way worth it over, you know, learning something substantial in an MA from a good university. Good luck winning that startup lottery with your 0.01 equity bro. SMASH THE POST-SECONDARY INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Rime posted:

I'm sure the Masters in Archaeology I had planned to pursue would have been SUCH a payoff compared to the startup I've worked at for five years.

No degree is "worth the debt", that line of thinking died around the same time as the dot com implosion. At least we won't be facing a shortage of baristas for decades to come thanks to people like you still parroting it though!

Encouraging everyone to get a degree has been problematic but letting everyone get a degree seems to have been a thing as well. There's a market glut for some majors because they've been encouraged to have ridiculously large class sizes and low requirements for entry.

e: and I don't really think that subjects should be judged on practicality in case it wasn't clear. Any degree is worth it if you're really interested in it, etc. etc.

Isentropy fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 21, 2013

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

As far as i know, people like you working at dope rear end internet startups like hootsuite and silicon sisters make a sweet 60k/year. drat son that is way worth it over, you know, learning something substantial in an MA from a good university. Good luck winning that startup lottery with your 0.01 equity bro. SMASH THE POST-SECONDARY INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX

Hootsuite and I have a funny past. I hear they got fined a half million dollars or something. :cop:

There's nothing in a masters degree that you can't learn on your own, especially with the growing prevalence of offerings such as Khan and Coursera, you just won't get a $50,000 chunk of debt piece of paper to prove you learned it all. Did you miss the news about how often that degree translates to anything relevant? Let alone wages above minimum?

Edit: It's been a while, I forgot who I was arguing with. Forget I ever bothered. :rolleyes:

Rime fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Nov 21, 2013

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Rime posted:

Hootsuite and I have a funny past. I hear they got fined a half million dollars or something. :cop:

There's nothing in a masters degree that you can't learn on your own, especially with the growing prevalence of offerings such as Khan and Coursera, you just won't get a $50,000 chunk of debt piece of paper to prove you learned it all. Did you miss the news about how often that degree translates to anything relevant? Let alone wages above minimum?

I really don't think you should be citing a Telegraph article about the plight of british undergrads as evidence of the worthlessness of university. You simply cannot fathom how dumb your average british undergrad with a degree from say, thames valley university is.

Tell me more about this hootsuite fine.

I think it's courageous of you to minimize the value of a master's degree without actually succeeding in obtaining one.

Full disclosure, I have one in Comp Sci and I don't think the education I received in and of itself was really valuable. On the other hand, the effort required to grind one out with respectable marks taught me a thing or two about value of labour. Evidently, my employers also think the same.

I think the value of an open education from Khan, Coursera or Open University etc etc. should be diminished. I've used Khan and I think it's excellent. On the other hand, if you really are the unique snowflake of start up talent and work ethic you claim to be, then I would suggest to you that you're an outlier and pet that Malcolm Gladwell would be proud of. The vast majority of the population doesn't have the capacity for self discipline required of such scholarship. This is why the tech industry in Vancouver is a joke.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Sorry, what's the reason the tech industry in Vancouver is a joke? I mean, it is, but I've read your response three times now and can't begin to parse the logic.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Lexicon posted:

Sorry, what's the reason the tech industry in Vancouver is a joke? I mean, it is, but I've read your response three times now and can't begin to parse the logic.

Vancouver's tech industry is a joke because the talent pool is extremely shallow.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Lexicon posted:

Brain drain. Tech industry in Canada is being bled dry because the US has the money and resources to draw the top tier talent.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Vancouver's tech industry is a joke because the talent pool is extremely shallow.

To be fair - it's chicken and egg. Who's going to hang around writing third rate enterprise shitware for $50k when far better opportunities exist outside Vancouver?

Also: I think the general lack of risk aversion in Canadians (so little VC) and lack of industry in general in Vancouver are far better explanatory factors. Not to mention the stupid levels of expense generally - it makes it a far worse place to come as viewed from outside.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Lexicon posted:

To be fair - it's chicken and egg. Who's going to hang around writing third rate enterprise shitware for $50k when far better opportunities exist outside Vancouver?

Also: I think the general lack of risk aversion in Canadians (so little VC) and lack of industry in general in Vancouver are far better explanatory factors. Not to mention the stupid levels of expense generally - it makes it a far worse place to come as viewed from outside.

I really think the Canadian Government hasn't put enough money into developing a tech industry. I have a lot of respect for UBC and SFU STEM grads but the reduction of funding for post secondary education in the past decade was just wrong. Silicon Valley developed out of cold war levels of funding for research and development, combined with just the right amount of patriotic zeal to defend the homeland from the commies, which we'll never see in Canada in our lifetime. We're talking several orders of magnitudes more money here.

The mayor of Kanata almost succeeded but was thwarted by Externalities (lol).

Despite the expense of living here, there are a couple extremely well funded startups establishing themselves in Vancouver. They originate from the bay area and are using Canada as a substitute for Bangalore. A conflation of, shall we say, cultural similarities and timezone make Vancouver an attractive place to set up a development sweatshop over India. On the other hand, the number of cities in North America trying to establish 'hackspaces' for iphone app developers makes me laugh. Vancouver's tech industry is just another antelope in this herd of failure.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I completely missed this:

http://globalnews.ca/news/980864/poloz-says-housing-market-not-a-bubble/

quote:

Canada’s housing market is not in a bubble and not likely to suffer a sudden and sharp correction in prices unless there is another major global shock to the economy, Bank of Canada governor Stephen Poloz said Wednesday.

The central banker, testifying before the Senate banking committee on his latest economic outlook, said he believes the most likely scenario is a soft landing where home prices stabilize, although he acknowledged that an imbalance in the market and high household debt remain key risks.

whaaat?

http://www2.macleans.ca/2013/11/20/poloz-says-canadian-housing-market-not-a-bubble-predicts-soft-landing/

quote:

Canada’s housing market is not in a bubble and not likely to suffer a sudden and sharp correction in prices unless there is another major global shock to the economy, Bank of Canada governor Stephen Poloz said Wednesday.

The central banker, testifying before the Senate banking committee on his latest economic outlook, said he believes the most likely scenario is a soft landing where home prices stabilize, although he acknowledged that an imbalance in the market and high household debt remain key risks.

Poloz used the testimony to pointedly disagree with a couple of forecasting organizations that weighed in this week on the Canadian situation — the Fitch Rating service that judged Canada’s housing market as 21 per cent overpriced, and an OECD recommendation that he start raising interest rates in a year’s time.

“Our judgment is (the housing market) is a situation that is improving, this is not a bubble that exists here that would have to be corrected,” he said. “If there is a disturbance from outside our country that’s another analysis.”

namaste friends fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 21, 2013

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state
"Soft landing" was the term that everyone was using in Estonia in 2007.

You know, about a year before a total loving horrific real estate crash, which left many bankrupt or to their necks in debt and devalued almost all real estate by a third, some up to by 50%.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Ah, yes, the incredibly stable and high-performing global economy. Truly we rest on a bedrock of granite. Unlike your standard Toronto condo, which is lucky if it's even at rest.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

Bleu posted:

Ah, yes, the incredibly stable and high-performing global economy. Truly we rest on a bedrock of granite. Unlike your standard Toronto condo, which is lucky if it's even at rest.

There is a condo down by River and King East that was apparently built too close to the King Street bridge and the bridge has shifted.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

I don't think a single property has appreciated in value since 2007. That is, if you bought property in 2007 and sold today, you would have broken even.

What do your cousin and fiancee do for a living?

They both work at Bank of Canada or whatever bank has the hugest building in downtown Vancouver doing non-bank-teller things.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

French Canadian posted:

They both work at Bank of Canada or whatever bank has the hugest building in downtown Vancouver doing non-bank-teller things.

The last five years of observing the global economy has taught us that anyone who is not a teller is actively destroying the economy.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

OhYeah posted:

The last five years of observing the global economy has taught us that anyone who is not a teller is actively destroying the economy.

Well one of them just does training videos and stuff...training people how to destroy the economy!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

French Canadian posted:

Well one of them just does training videos and stuff...training people how to destroy the economy!

So some sort of economic-terrorist training camp eh?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

OhYeah posted:

"Soft landing" was the term that everyone was using in Estonia in 2007.

You know, about a year before a total loving horrific real estate crash, which left many bankrupt or to their necks in debt and devalued almost all real estate by a third, some up to by 50%.

Doesn't the level sort of prevent a soft landing once people go into panic mode and also start getting nice HELOC letters from their bank?

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

etalian posted:

Doesn't the level sort of prevent a soft landing once people go into panic mode and also start getting nice HELOC letters from their bank?

Well soft landing would be achieved if earnings caught up with housing. However that is almost laughably unlikely, and even if it did happen I think it would just spur additional rounds of house price escalations. If the bank is willing to lend me a million now for grandma's Vancouver special, imagine what they would lend me if there were actual wage increases.

I cannot even see how the economy doesn't take a dump if housing just stagnates as I suspect HELOCs are driving a lot of consumer activity.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ocrumsprug posted:

I cannot even see how the economy doesn't take a dump if housing just stagnates as I suspect HELOCs are driving a lot of consumer activity.

It's pretty much what drove the fun side of the bubble, it's great for economy for things such as people trying flip home or buying more granite countertops until you reach the sad part of the bubble.

Also did anyone watch the CBC condo documentary on the GTA condo boom?

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...
Incidentally, I was reading about housing in the Soviet Union and after the ideal of communal living was abandoned, they decided to stamp out literally thousands of prefabricated apartment blocks. Nikita Khrushchev was the man in charge at that time, so they ended up being called "Khrushchyovka". The size of the smallest is a meager 325 square feet (30 square meters).

325 square feet is 35 square feet more than you'll get if you buy a micro-apartment in the "Balance" building in Surrey; it's 225 square feet more than the micro-apartments being talked about for Vancouver.

I mean, seriously, we're in a situation where totalitarian communism actually does it better?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.scmp.com/news/china/article/1354767/vancouver-benefits-influx-mainland-chinese-migrants-says-mayor

quote:

Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson says a flood of mainland Chinese immigrants, tourists and investors is creating new economic development opportunities in the Canadian port city, not driving up property prices, as some city residents have complained.

In Hong Kong yesterday to wrap up an eight-day China tour, Robertson said Vancouver's property market had been attracting international investors long before the current rush of mainland Chinese buyers.

"It is ridiculous to think that what's happening now is much different," he said. "I think the boom with mainland Chinese immigrants has been another great influx of talent and culture that benefits the city."

Nonetheless, Robertson acknowledged that the number of mainland Chinese had been growing rapidly in recent years and now accounted for 10 per cent of the city's 603,000 residents. The rise coincides with a decline in Hong Kong Chinese.

The number of mainland-Chinese-born immigrants living in greater Vancouver -- which includes the city and its satellite suburbs -- increased 88 per cent to 137,200 between 1996 and 2006. The number of Hong Kong immigrants fell 12 per cent to 75,800 during the same period.

I think the boom has been another great influx of talent and culture VANCOUVER MAYOR GREGOR ROBERTSON
"It took 125 years for the Cantonese population to become 25 per cent of Vancouver," Robertson said.

The mayor's trip, in which he also visited Beijing, Guangzhou and Shanghai, comes as Canada as a whole is experiencing a huge influx of Chinese immigrants and visitors.

China became the No1 source country for immigration to Canada last year, with 32,990 permanent residents admitted. The country also issued a record 235,000 visitor visas to Chinese applicants.

"We are seeing a lot of students," Robertson said. "In [my children's] high school, the majority of students are kids from mainland China who are now at home in Vancouver."

In one indication of Chinese interest in the city, Robertson's Sina Weibo account has more than 79,000 followers, compared with 39,000 followers on his Twitter account.

Robertson was travelling with 180 representatives from the city's business and cultural sectors - the largest delegation Vancouver has ever sent overseas. While in Beijing last week, representatives from the two cities signed five memorandums of understanding.

Other agreements include identifying potential partnerships or business start-up opportunities in China and Vancouver and establishing a joint research and development centre on energy efficiency in Beijing.

Vancouver is also seeking to boost local innovation and the development of digital media industries, pledging tax incentives and grants to investors.

Robertson said the digital media industry was one of Vancouver's fastest growing sectors. He added that social media management firm HootSuite, which supports social network integration for Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn, is looking to help integrate various social media streams in China.

"For Vancouver companies, most have contact opportunities mapped out in China," he said. "But they need to deepen the connection."

The story was updated at November 19, 2013 to clarify that the figures quoted in the 5th paragraph were of the greater Vancouver area, not the city of Vancouver itself.

I'd agree with this entire article if you substituted "vancouver" with "calgary". I've met tons of talented hard working mainlanders who immigrated to Canada and established themselves in Calgary. On the other hand, I don't think any of the hongers who immigrated before '97 are still around and I've never met a mainlander in Vancouver who wasn't either a menial service worker or a parasitic billionaire.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/article/1354767/vancouver-benefits-influx-mainland-chinese-migrants-says-mayor

On the other hand, I don't think any of the hongers who immigrated before '97 are still around.

They aren't, there's an estimated 300,000 Hong Kong immmigrants who stayed long enough to get citizenship and then returned home at the end of the 1990's when it became clear China wasn't going to gently caress the place. This only really becomes a concern if China DOES ever move on Hong Kong, or when most of them get elderly, because then you have nearly half a million refugees/retirees flooding back on their visas to take advantage of a universal health care system which they haven't been paying taxes into for 20+ years.

It's a systemic risk.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Rime posted:

They aren't, there's an estimated 300,000 Hong Kong immmigrants who stayed long enough to get citizenship and then returned home at the end of the 1990's when it became clear China wasn't going to gently caress the place. This only really becomes a concern if China DOES ever move on Hong Kong, or when most of them get elderly, because then you have nearly half a million refugees/retirees flooding back on their visas to take advantage of a universal health care system which they haven't been paying taxes into for 20+ years.

It's a systemic risk.

^ I get the systemic risk argument, but do you really think wealthy Hong Kongers who can immigrate back and forth on a whim are keen to avail themselves of Canadian UHC, which, after all, is for the likes of scum like you and me? I'd think they'd be far keener on the plush private services available in the USA or parts of Europe - hell, even Hong Kong itself.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I guess Alberta isn't such a terrible place when you consider that it pay for the rest of the country's healthcare. :v:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Throatwarbler posted:

I guess Alberta isn't such a terrible place when you consider that it pay for the rest of the country's healthcare. :v:

Nope, still terrible.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Throatwarbler posted:

In 20 years when nobody wants to buy lovely expensive to use bitumen and you get cancer for so much as stepping in a puddle in Alberta the roles will be reversed again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

etalian posted:

Also did anyone watch the CBC condo documentary on the GTA condo boom?

I watched it last night, and got much happier that I don't own a condo in the GTA.

Aside from the bubble implications though, the realization of how little influence the city has in its own city planning should terrify everyone.