Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

So...how close is World Net Daily to a white supremacist site, because...

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

VitalSigns posted:

It's a post-your-own-news site popular with Freep-types, so as close as the article's author wants it to be. See also: Examiner.com

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

CarterUSM posted:

We are spending Thanksgiving at my Tea Partier aunt's house. I don't know how I'm going to be able to eat, since doing so will require me to stop clenching my jaw and gritting my teeth first.

I am so goddamn thankful that almost my whole family are Liberal Democrats.

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
World Net Daily is loving hogwash and it always has been. I used to read it in high school and while I was a wildly different person 15 years ago it's still embarrassing.

Of course if you tell someone that wnd is alarmist dreck they'll just tell you that you don't have an open mind and call you an obamazombie.

My parents and I are on totally different ends of the political spectrum but thankfully after butting heads around election time last year we don't talk about it anymore so now when I go home for Thanksgiving it's pretty chill and we just sit around playing Settlers of Catan. Good luck to the rest of you goons dealing with your racist rear end families this holiday season.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Axetrain posted:

I am so goddamn thankful that almost my whole family are Liberal Democrats.

My immediate family is pretty liberal and the rest of my family lives in China (If they came to live over here I doubt they'd be Republicans). My facebook friends list is mostly liberal as well, with the few conservatives mostly being libertarian types or super-religious and not very political. The only time I have things to contribute to this thread is when one of the libertarians' posts somehow makes it into my feed or I somehow get on a republican candidate's e-mail list.

This Thanksgiving I will be eating a roast duck with my family and I will be so very thankful.

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013
Well, I live with my parents (haven't been able to get a job situation sorted out), and my mom is a standard conservative Mormon, but one who tries to avoid conflict (to be fair I'm a Mormon too, but I'm basically Bernie Sanders in terms of political views), and my dad is a Reddit-style angry atheist and anarchist (in the belligerent anarcho-capitalist sense). So you can guess how any political discussions go at my house.

The other relatives don't live here, but have a variety of views. Also I live in Utah, which complicates the political discussions even more.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

ShortStack posted:

Good luck to the rest of you goons dealing with your racist rear end families this holiday season.

Mine may or may not be super interesting. Depending on how the stars align, I could be in ~Rural Alabama~ with my very conservative extended family. My two uncles used to be pretty sane about almost everything, but in the months following Obama's election one of them started hoarding firearms and the other impersonates the first lady with an ape impression. The latter reads The Economist and actively seeks out reliable statistics on issues while simultaneously accepting everything that FOX vomits from his television as the Gospel. It's a magical little contradiction that I can't even begin to understand.

Also they both just know that the Chinese students at the local university are all in some kind of gigantic underground cheating ring, as they can't possibly do so well otherwise!

Edit: Words in places.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Lord Girlyman posted:

Also they both just know that the Chinese students at the local university are all in some kind of gigantic underground cheating ring, as they can't possibly do so well otherwise!

I wouldn't go so far as to say they're probably right, but the odds of that being true of undergraduates aren't that bad.

BrotherAdso
May 22, 2008

stat rosa pristina nomine
nomina nuda tenemus
My students are a bunch of lil' libertarians and I grade their papers without prejudice then pull out my hair later.

They're seriously advocating abolishing public schools and privatising roads while they sit in an exceptionally good public school they got to on an interstate system. Augh my brain.

They're such intelligent, nice children but when you let a 16 year old read Rand and Nozick and Rothbard and Hayek under the guidance of one of our libertarian-tea party faculty, the distortional effect on their intellectual life is nothing short of stunning. I wish I was willing to be so blatant about imposing my political and intellectual beliefs on the students. Alas, ethics.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

BrotherAdso posted:

They're such intelligent, nice children but when you let a 16 year old read Rand and Nozick and Rothbard and Hayek under the guidance of one of our libertarian-tea party faculty, the distortional effect on their intellectual life is nothing short of stunning. I wish I was willing to be so blatant about imposing my political and intellectual beliefs on the students. Alas, ethics.

There's nothing unethical about telling your students that Austrian Schoolers are loving idiots who have never been right about anything and exist only to make blatant wealth-hoarding acceptable. That's not a political statement, it's a fact.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
For a 16 year old the fact that their teacher disagrees with them only reinforces that they must be right.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

RagnarokAngel posted:

For a 16 year old the fact that their teacher disagrees with them only reinforces that they must be right.

Even though they only believe what they do because one of the others teachers taught it to them?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

VideoTapir posted:

I wouldn't go so far as to say they're probably right, but the odds of that being true of undergraduates aren't that bad.
Yeah, the only part about that I have any complaints about is that they think it's only the Chinese students.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

ShortStack posted:

My parents and I are on totally different ends of the political spectrum but thankfully after butting heads around election time last year we don't talk about it anymore so now when I go home for Thanksgiving it's pretty chill and we just sit around playing Settlers of Catan. Good luck to the rest of you goons dealing with your racist rear end families this holiday season.

Considering a few weeks ago at a family dinner someone tried to defend blackface as not being racist (or even about race until "they" made it about race :wtc:) I can only imagine what I'm in for this year.

CowHammer
Feb 18, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

Well...

Fox launches full-frontal assault on black mobs 11/20/2013
Surprise! Media finally wake up to Knockout Game 11/19/2013
Glossing over black thugs' 'game' 11/19/2013
Police deny series of trail attacks 'a pattern'11/08/2013
Black-on-white beatings leave more dead 9/24/2013
Obama, Powell mum on 'Trayvon Effect' 8/28/2013
Black mob pounces on woman: 'Shut up white [bleep!]' 8/28/2013

These are all between that article and today. Whatever you do, don't read the comments. Or even go to that site. Or be friends with anyone who posts that kind of poo poo.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Wanamingo posted:

Even though they only believe what they do because one of the others teachers taught it to them?

Crazy-rear end right libertarianism tells them that they're magical ubermenschen who can rule the world from their high-tech mountain fortress while all the other morons die of starvation because they aren't as awesome, all in a pseudo-intellectual way. It makes them feel special and smart, so the bad teachers are basically flattering them in roundabout way while you're just trying to keep them down, man!

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Apparently a certain coal miner's daughter received the medal of freedom.

I had gotten on to my mom about sharing political chainmails on Facebook and she received it pretty well. She's a public figure, so I'm not surprised she posted this but of course anything with Obama in it is just bad. I'm almost half certain I live in an area of Freepers.

Also, "OBAMA IS A P.O.S. but there's no partisan crap here". :ironicat:

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

I don't.. I mean.. How can someone believe that?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Wanamingo posted:

Not all of them learn libertarian talking points from teachers though.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

My Face When posted:

Also, "OBAMA IS A P.O.S. but there's no partisan crap here". :ironicat:

Too bad she had to get it from one of those....well, you know!!! niggers ^_^

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.
Cousin's forever on the warpath against contraception.

Apparently, Comic Guy doesn't realize that NFP has a significant failure rate. :downs:

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Nyarai posted:

Cousin's forever on the warpath against contraception.

Apparently, Comic Guy doesn't realize that NFP has a significant failure rate. :downs:

No one is getting free birth control. They're getting their health plans, that they earn through their jobs or pay for with their money that they earn, to cover birth control.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

BrotherAdso posted:

My students are a bunch of lil' libertarians and I grade their papers without prejudice then pull out my hair later.

They're seriously advocating abolishing public schools and privatising roads while they sit in an exceptionally good public school they got to on an interstate system. Augh my brain.

They're sixteen, man. Of course they're libertarians. That's like getting mad at a three-year-old for liking Barney more than The Wire. Like 85 percent of them will grow out of it.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Guilty Spork posted:

A friend who's kind of moderate right-wing semi-libertarian but fairly chill overall posted about how he's kinda uncomfortable with the guaranteed income idea, I guess because those dirty poors don't deserve basic food and shelter or upwards mobility or anything. What follows is two of his friends who I don't know having a Facebook Argument, with Benny Ficial FYGM-ing it up.

Oh my goodness, he called you fat near the end!

That means that you have won this round, liberal.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Vriess posted:

"Mario Speedwagon" is the best pun-name that plugin has ever generated.

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.

Dr Christmas posted:

No one is getting free birth control. They're getting their health plans, that they earn through their jobs or pay for with their money that they earn, to cover birth control.

That was actually about living without contraception, not getting it for free, but don't worry! He hates that too.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Vriess posted:

Why would anyone bother poisoning Brittany Murphy?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Vriess posted:

For InfoWars, I think it's important to remind them that after the Boston Marathon bombing, during the second news conference, the very first question was asked by an InfoWars reporter "Was this another false flag staged attack to take our civil liberties and promote Homeland Security by sticking their hands down our pants on the streets?"

Before anyone even knew what was going on, Alex Jones had tweeted "Our hearts go out to those that are hurt or killed," Jones wrote. "But this thing stinks to high heaven #falseflag."

Imagine that you went out your front door in the morning and found a couple of chairs set up in your yard. That's unusual. What are some of the most likely reasons. I'd say "drunk people" is probably high on the list, "weird prank" might be second, "Neighbor trying to get me in trouble with the Homeowners association" might be on the list, "Government conspiracy," "Aliens," and "Poltergeists" aren't very high on the list.

If you knew someone who immediately decided that "Aliens" was the most likely cause, that should tell you that they have a very different idea about how the world works than you do. It also affects the way they try to analyze the evidence. If you thought it was drunks or pranksters, your first step should be to investigate the area looking for footprints, beer cans, cigarette butts or joints, etc. If you thought it might be someone trying to get you in trouble with the Homeowner's association, you might want to give them a call and find out if there have been any complaints recently. But a person who thinks that Aliens is the most likely cause is probably going to grab their Orgone detector.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Vriess posted:

He's correct that it isn't really left or right-wing. It's just conspiracy theorist dribble.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

BrotherAdso posted:

I substituted for a sixth grade language arts class this morning. We had a free reading period. One student was reading a Rush Limbaugh book.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

My green friend here is a black man :psyduck:

And for those of us who have to put up with our fundamentalist families :bahgawd: about the War on Christmas this holiday season, at least you can be comforted depressed that this insanity is not limited to the USA, because apparently this is making the social media rounds in the Netherlands
:ughh:

The headline says :supaburn:"Christian holidays soon forbidden in all of Europe!":supaburn:
"Not only is Santa Claus under discussion, but soon too will the Christian holidays Christmas and Easter become..."

Fortunately, after my brief twinge of horror, my friend reassured me he posted it mockingly and he's not going all Eurofreep on me
Blue: Do you really believe this?
Orange: No, but I sure found it kind of funny
Orange: If it does, then y'all come help us! ;)

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 21, 2013

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

VitalSigns posted:

And for those of us who have to put up with our fundamentalist families :bahgawd: about the War on Christmas this holiday season, at least you can be comforted depressed that this insanity is not limited to the USA, because apparently this is making the social media rounds in the Netherlands
:ughh:

The headline says :supaburn:"Christian holidays soon forbidden in all of Europe!":supaburn:
"Not only is Santa Claus under discussion, but soon too will the Christian holidays Christmas and Easter become..."

Fortunately, after my brief twinge of horror, my friend reassured me he posted it mockingly and he's not going all Eurofreep on me
Blue: Do you really believe this?
Orange: No, but I sure found it kind of funny
Orange: If it does, then y'all come help us! ;)
That has to do with Zwarte Piet, right?

I have to say that as an Israeli living in the US, it is shocking to me that anyone would consider that Christmas is under attack here. I am already seeing decorations everywhere. :psyduck:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Yes but the cashier told me happy holidays which means every holiday but Christmas obviously.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
This Thanksgiving is going to be fun. My family has one of the most bizarre mixes of political views I've ever encountered. My grandfather is an extreme-right Tea Party conservative and Mormon fundamentalist, my grandmother is a liberal Democrat, my other grandfather is an FYGM libertarian and Reddit atheist, my mom is an indecisive moderate, my dad is a centrist establishment Democrat, my great-grandfather and my uncle are both communists, and my aunts all took after their dad and got big into the Tea Party. My little sister is a Democrat and liberal on almost every issue except abortion, where she is extremely hardline and doesn't believe it should be legal at all, ever, under any circumstances. My older brother is a traditionalist, pro-establishment big business conservative. And I'm a syndicalist.

We very rarely talk politics, and try to avoid it, but if it does get brought up, things can get...silly.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I have to say that as an Israeli living in the US, it is shocking to me that anyone would consider that Christmas is under attack here. I am already seeing decorations everywhere. :psyduck:

The religious right in this country desperately wants to be a persecuted minority.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

1stGear posted:

The religious right in this country desperately wants to make a theocracy enforced by public torture and death.

ftfy

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Mister Bates posted:

This Thanksgiving is going to be fun. My family has one of the most bizarre mixes of political views I've ever encountered. My grandfather is an extreme-right Tea Party conservative and Mormon fundamentalist, my grandmother is a liberal Democrat, my other grandfather is an FYGM libertarian and Reddit atheist, my mom is an indecisive moderate, my dad is a centrist establishment Democrat, my great-grandfather and my uncle are both communists, and my aunts all took after their dad and got big into the Tea Party. My little sister is a Democrat and liberal on almost every issue except abortion, where she is extremely hardline and doesn't believe it should be legal at all, ever, under any circumstances. My older brother is a traditionalist, pro-establishment big business conservative. And I'm a syndicalist.

We very rarely talk politics, and try to avoid it, but if it does get brought up, things can get...silly.

Gotta say, at least your little sister has a stance that is logically consistent with believing fetuses to be human lives, instead of one that only makes sense if you assume the person's underlying intention is to punish women for having sex. That isn't to say I agree with it, but I can at least hear someone say it without immediately wanting to call them a lying piece of poo poo when they claim it's about the fetus and not about oppressing women.

Magres fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Nov 22, 2013

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That has to do with Zwarte Piet, right?

Honestly, the article was too much purestrain crazy for me to get through, plus my Dutch is pretty lovely so it takes a lot of effort to read and there's not much reward when everything comes out insane.

The article is mainly a :freep: freakout about Muslims. It briefly mentions Sinterklaas as under attack by Muslims, but it goes on with a lot of other stupid-rear end claims like seeing-eye dogs are forbidden on buses in Great Britain now and Christmas is banned in Berlin because Muslims etc, and calls the EU Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union at the same time. If it were in English I would assume it was a piece by Glenn Beck.

The article is here if you really want to read it, but don't. Really, don't.

http://ejbron.wordpress.com/2013/10/24/christelijke-feestdagen-binnenkort-verboden-in-heel-europa/

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yes but you see that is just a gross celebration of consumerism and not a celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ. Since it is a perversion of the true reason for the season it is an attack on Christmas and Christianity.

I feel sympathetic to those of you with lovely families, our family has done its best to not discuss politics at holiday gatherings. In fact we rarely discussed politics at all. I remember growing up, my grandfather on my mom's side was a hardcore liberal democrat who, after serving in the army for a few years, became a construction worker and thus unions were a sacred thing to him. My dad, who sadly died before I really got old enough to understand politics, seemed at least to be fairly conservative because I remember as a kid getting annoyed that he would sometimes say a thing, and my grandfather would rant endlessly about it. Since he and my dad have both passed away, the remaining members of my family have never really been huge into discussing politics and so the subject just never comes up, though I have pretty good ideas of what their politics actually are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

CowHammer posted:

Some of these are so wrong I don't even know where to start. The first reply was snopes and the OP claimed to have some more information that he'll share later. I have a feeling it'll be a while.

I would start with "Why does it matter so much how much the CEO makes?" It has very little to do with how effective the charity is.

Less Wrong, Efficient Charity posted:

A hypothetical charity running programs like [Mozambican health program] VillageReach's which embezzled 95% of its budget and had correspondingly greatly reduced cost-effectiveness would still be doing far more good per dollar than the Make-A-Wish Foundation or the least effective developing world charities do. This example makes it clear how profoundly useless the overhead ratio is for assessing the relative quality of a charity.

platzapS fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Nov 22, 2013