Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

For the house shows the last time WWE visited my state, the front row seats were sold in really pricey meet and greet packages. This left a lot of empty seats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
WWE hasn't been to my town since the mid 90's, where legend has it Papa Shango got them booted out of the local strip joint after getting up on stage and dancing drunkenly with the girls. I've never been to a WWE show, been to some fun indy shows and that's it.

J.J. Sefton
Jun 30, 2005
The Tower Of Power, Too Sweet To Be Sour

Red posted:

Awesome, I hope you do. This could be interesting.

It's probably important to separate "What was the first match you ever saw?" versus "What got you into wrestling?".

If you asked me the first part, I'd say King Kong Bundy vs. Hillbilly Jim in like 1985 or 1986. The second part would be Hulk Hogan losing to The Undertaker.

So it might help to ask?

1. What was the first match you remember watching?
1a. What year (estimate) did this take place?
2. What was the first angle you remember?
2a. What year (estimate) did this take place?
3. What match/angle got you interested into following wrestling closely?
3a: What year (estimate) did this take place?
4. How old are you?
5. If you watched wrestling as a kid, who were your top 3 favorite wrestlers (rank favorite to least favorite, 1 to 3, with 1 being most favorite).

Just a suggestion.

1. I recall seeing a montage of Superstar Billy Graham losing the WWWF title to Bob Backlund. I must have been channel surfing looking for monster movies or maybe cartoons. I got hooked by the action and by Superstar's in ring antics
1a. 1978

2. First angle I remember was Larry Z turning on Bruno. That was a big deal ( lived in Pittsburgh at the time and. Bruno was a god to us kids) and the tv broadcast was marked with a big X-made the event seem like an even bigger deal.
2a. 1980

3. The first angle that got me into a "can't miss" mentality was The Horsemen vs everyone. I had just gotten cable and had never seen the TBS saturday night show. Once I saw it, I began to arrange my Saturday schedule around the 6:05 time slot.
3a. 1985

4. I'm 46

5. My faves as a kid were Superstar Graham, Rocky Johnson and Bruno.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

WWE hasn't been to my town since the mid 90's, where legend has it Papa Shango got them booted out of the local strip joint after getting up on stage and dancing drunkenly with the girls. I've never been to a WWE show, been to some fun indy shows and that's it.

So THAT's why he got into that business later!

"Can't throw me out of my own club for dancing with the girls..."

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
Ok, so I have a question that I'd like to get several opinions on.

I'm working on a gaming side project where I want to factor in different win bonuses/loss penalties based on the type of finish. The catch is that I'd like to vary the bonuses and penalties so that, say, a DQ win barely helps the victor while really hampering the loser, and so forth.

The problem I'm running into is where to rank "non-standard" finishes based on matches available to the game engine. For instance, where does escaping a steel cage rank the winner (or loser) compared to a First Blood match, or a ladder match, and so on?

I know it's a relative thing based on performance if this were real life pro graps, but for this purpose I'm looking at treating all similar finishes equally, whether it be Fingerpokes of Doom or legit MOTY candidates.

Below is the list of finishes I expect to see most often, arranged in my view from weakest to strongest. I'd appreciate seeing how everyone would sort these out.

Disqualification
Countout
Pinfall
Submission
Two falls to one (2/3 falls match)
Retrieval (Ladder matches)
Two falls to none (2/3 falls match)
Cage escape (over the side)
First Blood
Last Man Standing
Medical DQ/Ref stoppage due to inability to defend oneself

Any other finishes you feel should be added, feel free to add them to your list.

Thank you!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

ShadowedFlames posted:

I'm working on a gaming side project where I want to factor in different win bonuses/loss penalties based on the type of finish. The catch is that I'd like to vary the bonuses and penalties so that, say, a DQ win barely helps the victor while really hampering the loser, and so forth.

The problem I'm running into is where to rank "non-standard" finishes based on matches available to the game engine. For instance, where does escaping a steel cage rank the winner (or loser) compared to a First Blood match, or a ladder match, and so on?

I know it's a relative thing based on performance if this were real life pro graps, but for this purpose I'm looking at treating all similar finishes equally, whether it be Fingerpokes of Doom or legit MOTY candidates.

Below is the list of finishes I expect to see most often, arranged in my view from weakest to strongest. I'd appreciate seeing how everyone would sort these out.

Disqualification
Countout
Pinfall
Submission
First Blood
Last Man Standing

Any other finishes you feel should be added, feel free to add them to your list.

Thank you!

I'd think the most valuable victory would be retiring your opponent in a career match.

There's also:

- Manager/Cornerman throwing in the towel
- Stuffing opponent into object (casket/ambulance/buried alive match)
- Touching four corners in a row (strap/rope match)
- Forcing opponent to say 'I Quit' in 'I Quit' match
- Add a pole match to 'retrieval'
- Executing a move during a 'specialty' move match (Bodyslam match)
- Winning most falls during an Iron Man match, most valuable is winning X falls to 0 (a shutout, basically)
- Winning a battle royal, value determined by size/scope/prize
- Winning a Royal Rumble, value determined by order of entry, number of eliminations
- Winning a handicap match
- Winning an Elimination Chamber, value decided by order of entry
- Winning a tournament, value decided by size/scope/prize

You really could go on forever.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

ShadowedFlames posted:

Disqualification
Countout
Pinfall
Submission
First Blood
Last Man Standing

Thank you!

I know you said you said that the match quality doesn't matter, just the finish, but what about also ranking the prestige of the match type. For instance, a cage escape would be rated higher than say a pinfall in a regular match since a cage match is more prestigious. Likewise, a finish in say a HIAC or LMS would have more significance than just a no DQ or cage match.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
If you're doing the 80's, you may want to have a section for:

- Double count-out; brawl to the back.

Domalom
Mar 20, 2009

Gadzooks!
Best seat I've had was front row at the last RevPro show in London. I got to shake Tanahashi's hand after his match and was next to the ridiculous Devitt running drop kick/double stomp into Ricochet/the lighting rig.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

The Senator Giroux posted:

I know you said you said that the match quality doesn't matter, just the finish, but what about also ranking the prestige of the match type. For instance, a cage escape would be rated higher than say a pinfall in a regular match since a cage match is more prestigious. Likewise, a finish in say a HIAC or LMS would have more significance than just a no DQ or cage match.

Which is true. But then you run into which match types are more prestigious than others which would skew the question even further. If you wanted to use that instead of finishes, that is acceptable as well. Notice that in the list I posted the standard finishes came before cage, ladder, and so forth. In my mind I was trying to weigh the finishes in terms of how strong the participants would look coming out of it. In a way, I could see the argument for prestige giving greater weight to the finish.

As for the other finishes that were given...if any of them make it into this project I'll assess them at that time. I'm just going for now with what I presume will be the most common ones. The double countout/DQ is a good one to consider, good call on that.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Ghostpilot posted:

If you're doing the 80's, you may want to have a section for:

- Double count-out; brawl to the back.

Ah, yes, the Jim Duggan/Bad News Brown/Roddy Piper Special.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I'm too cheap to splurge for front row, but I've been second row for ROH a coupe times at a comparatively reasonable rate. One nice thing abut indie shows is that even the GA seats are pretty drat good.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Thauros posted:

I'm too cheap to splurge for front row, but I've been second row for ROH a coupe times at a comparatively reasonable rate. One nice thing abut indie shows is that even the GA seats are pretty drat good.

I can't bring myself to spend the extra on front row ROH tickets. I always get fourth row since it's only $5 more and I get a guaranteed seat.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
The Edison ROH venue at the ice rink tended to be trivially easy to not buy the front row tickets but end up with effectively a front row seat so I did that.

I had really good ringside seats to the 1995 King of the Ring, which is generally considered the worst WWF/WWE PPV ever. :smith:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

El Gallinero Gros posted:

One thing I'd also be curious to see is who the first heel you ever liked was. It may be less relevant to those who started watching as an adult, but I'd still find it interesting. Probably at least a few Jake Roberts answers.

Piper, all the way.

Although the first heel that I really -hated- was Ted DiBiase. I cherish his work in retrospect, as he was such an amazing heel worker, and apparently a genuinely good guy outside of the business.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

jeffersonlives posted:

The Edison ROH venue at the ice rink tended to be trivially easy to not buy the front row tickets but end up with effectively a front row seat so I did that.

I had really good ringside seats to the 1995 King of the Ring, which is generally considered the worst WWF/WWE PPV ever. :smith:

I just looked it up, I knew that was the King Mabel event, but holy poo poo that is an awful card. On paper, maybe the Hart vs Lawler match looks ok-ish, otherwise holy shitballs.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Monkeycheese posted:

I just looked it up, I knew that was the King Mabel event, but holy poo poo that is an awful card. On paper, maybe the Hart vs Lawler match looks ok-ish, otherwise holy shitballs.

1994 had Art Donovan on the announcing team, so it could've been worse.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

quote:

WWF @ Des Moines, IA - Veterans Memorial Auditorium - January 26, 1991
Shawn Michaels & Marty Jannetty vs. Demolition
Kerry Von Erich vs. Ted Dibiase
WWF Tag Team Champions Bret Hart & Jim Neidhart vs. Paul Roma & Hercules
Jim Duggan defeated WWF World Champion Sgt. Slaughter via count-out
The Ultimate Warrior vs. Randy Savage (steel cage match)

I was ringside for this, still have Bret's glasses somewhere in storage.

Man, no wonder I love good tag teams so much.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Another spot I love is the extended lock-up that goes around the ring. When the guys push each other along all 4 sides. I want to say I remember a match with Benoit where they fell through the ropes in a lock-up and still didn't release it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

oldpainless posted:

Another spot I love is the extended lock-up that goes around the ring. When the guys push each other along all 4 sides. I want to say I remember a match with Benoit where they fell through the ropes in a lock-up and still didn't release it.

Along a similar vein, I love the "Come get me, guy charges, low bridge spot" that smaller guys use on bigger dudes to eliminate people in battle royals.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Maybe this is a question too large to answer, but...

How did Tanahashi become such a big draw? Was there a "moment", like Austin 3:16, that you can point to? Or did it come slowly?

I started watching NJPW just before he dropped the title to Okada, so I missed his rise to the top.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

triplexpac posted:

Maybe this is a question too large to answer, but...

How did Tanahashi become such a big draw? Was there a "moment", like Austin 3:16, that you can point to? Or did it come slowly?

I started watching NJPW just before he dropped the title to Okada, so I missed his rise to the top.

He got a lot of support when he returned from an injury. The injury being his girlfriend stabbed him. People were impressed at his toughness, and toughness goes a long way in getting support. It helps that he's a drat fine worker, also.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Best seats I ever had were at WrestleMania this year:

I had a fantastic view with no obstructions, and all it cost me was a HELL of a lot of money.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

quote:

WWE (SmackDown! & ECW) @ Honolulu, HI - Blaisdell Arena - July 5, 2009
John Morrison defeated Shelton Benjamin
Mark Henry defeated Evan Bourne
Melina & Gail Kim defeated WWE Womens Champion Michelle McCool & Alicia Fox; Maria was the guest referee for the bout
The Great Kahli defeated Dolph Ziggler
ECW World Champion Tommy Dreamer defeated Christian and Jack Swaggar
World Heavyweight Champion CM Punk defeated Jeff Hardy
WWE IC Champion Rey Mysterio Jr. defeated WWE Unified Tag Team Champion Chris Jericho; Ricky Steamboat was the guest referee for the bout

Took my brother's kids to this show after watching nothing but the very occasional ROH since about 2001. It was AWESOME and I've been watching fairly regularly since then. I was jazzed to see CM Punk live and Rey-Jericho with Steamboat shenanigans was electric. Recently there was some talk about old-school heel heat, I'm fairly surprised that Jericho was able to leave the building without getting brutally beaten by the crowd. He was that good.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

TL posted:

Best seats I ever had were at WrestleMania this year

That's awesome. I went to Wrestlemania X-8 and it felt like I was watching ants wrestle, I was so far away.

Best seats I've had for wrestling is front row for a few ROH events. I also got floor seats for the Royal Rumble one year. The seats weren't actually that great, but I did get a meet & greet with wrestlers which was pretty cool.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

triplexpac posted:

That's awesome. I went to Wrestlemania X-8 and it felt like I was watching ants wrestle, I was so far away.

I was at Wrestlemania 23 and I don't remember a thing other than Undertake and Cena's entrances. Third deck at Ford Field :gonk:

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

oldpainless posted:

I believe Savage/DDP did that spot (the falling through the ropes and still not breaking apart)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

fatherdog posted:

I believe Savage/DDP did that spot (the falling through the ropes and still not breaking apart)

DDP loved that spot, I think he used it in the Benoit and Raven feuds as well.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Great DVD or Greatest?
http://www.highspots.com/p/douglas-ecw.html

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Six DVDs worth? Gross.

Bizzy_g
Sep 3, 2004
fix up, look sharp

MisterGBH posted:

Rebellion 3/11/2001

this was my first show too, I think the rock/austin singing contest at the very end really sold going to more live wrestling for me, it was something different and that wasn't shown on tv

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
How do they have ECW footage? Fan cam stuff?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

triplexpac posted:

I guess so. They have also sold DVDS of all of Cactus's ecw matches. It says that all footage is from RF Video.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

oldpainless posted:

Benoit/Finlay did this on a good PPV match but I can't remember which one

omgomgomg
Oct 26, 2012

Just out of curiosity, how much do wrestlemania front row floor seats usually go for?

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I don't even especially dislike Douglas but hot drat I would not spend $5 on a set of his matches, let alone $30.

Freight Train, on the other hand...

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

omgomgomg posted:

Just out of curiosity, how much do wrestlemania front row floor seats usually go for?

I believe I saw $2000 a piece for WM30.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

triplexpac posted:

Feinstein had the rights to record and sell ECW house shows as fan cam footage. At one point Heyman fell behind in payments and when RF got mad Heyman made him out to be a heel on TV. That's our Paul!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ShadowedFlames posted:

I cannot emphasize enough that escaping the cage should be the tiniest possible bonus because it's literally running away from your opponent to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

epitasis posted:

I cannot emphasize enough that escaping the cage should be the tiniest possible bonus because it's literally running away from your opponent to win.

Using the door should be a penalty. Over the top is a bit more bold.