Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Is there an imgur (or any other equivalent sharing site) app that will resize an image to post-friendly dimensions *before* its uploaded? I use imgur to share my photos with other posters and I feel I'm wasting a lot of time and data uploading multi-megapixel images that I resize through the app anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Pissflaps posted:

Is there an imgur (or any other equivalent sharing site) app that will resize an image to post-friendly dimensions *before* its uploaded? I use imgur to share my photos with other posters and I feel I'm wasting a lot of time and data uploading multi-megapixel images that I resize through the app anyway.

The IS an imgur app, have you tried it?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Don Tacorleone posted:

The IS an imgur app, have you tried it?

I've got 'imgupr' now but that doesn't resize images the resizing is done on the imgur server itself so pictures take a while to upload.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Pissflaps posted:

I've got 'imgupr' now but that doesn't resize images the resizing is done on the imgur server itself so pictures take a while to upload.

Don't worry.

I got this.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/up-it/id718082759?mt=8

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Hmm this looks exceptionally needs suiting. TYVM.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Speaking of image resizing, is there an app that will resize and crop images to a specific pixel dimension?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Anyone have recommendations for other apps like Goodreads? I'm not crazy about its UI.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

smackfu posted:

It's only going to get worse. That iPad is stuck on iOS 5, right?

it's poo poo because there is 0 reason for it to get worse, as opposed to just staying how it was

I have an iPad classic myself. it owns and is more rugged than that new air bullshit

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

echinopsis posted:

it's poo poo because there is 0 reason for it to get worse, as opposed to just staying how it was

I have an iPad classic myself. it owns and is more rugged than that new air bullshit

Unless you actually owned an air. Then you'd be like "LOL AIR IS BEST- BEST.BEST.BEST."

Mainly - because it is better.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Heh have you had your kids jump on an Air? Use a screwdriver as a stylus?

Yeah, didn't think so

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
A screwdriver probably wouldn't even work as a stylus (but the screen on the Air would be tougher against scratches)

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

echinopsis posted:

Yeah, didn't think so

Have you ever owned an Air?

Yeah, didn't think so either.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol you think you've "got" me but I'm not the sucker who spent valuable money on a vague upgrade. enjoy your death bed regrets!

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

echinopsis posted:

lol you think you've "got" me but I'm not the sucker who spent valuable money on a vague upgrade. enjoy your death bed regrets!

I actually bought an Air because my OG iPad loving broke. RIP backlight.

topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.

echinopsis posted:

What kind of idiot uses a screwdriver as a stylus?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

topiKal posted:

Children, but children are known to be loving idiots

edit: idiots who should ALL die

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

topiKal posted:

it was a failed attempt to be sure

Don Tacorleone posted:

Children, but children are known to be loving idiots

on the contrary, only children see the true value in things. adults think "oh no don't break it I spent money on it" but the child inherently knows it is worthless consumer electronic junk

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

echinopsis posted:

on the contrary, only children see the true value in things. adults think "oh no don't break it I spent money on it" but the child inherently knows it is worthless consumer electronic junk

Then go burn your iPad, and whatever you're using to post here and move out to the mountains and live off the land instead of bitching about a tablet you've never used.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
It's a fairly lovely thing that computers inevitably become outdated (and sometimes even lose functionality) ~5yrs after release, but to be surprised/enraged when it happens it's just amazingly ignorant of what you're actually buying when you purchase one.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
The old one is better because I have the old one and I know I'm right because why wouldn't I be? Technology doesn't get better over the course of several years, that's not how it works.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

iPad 1 is only 3.5 years since release and you could still buy brand new ones 2.5 years ago. That thing got unsupported fast, mainly because of the RAM.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

TheJoker138 posted:

Then go burn your iPad, and whatever you're using to post here and move out to the mountains and live off the land instead of bitching about a tablet you've never used.

Man that sounds awesome, see you guys later!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
So on the subject of apps, what are people's opinions on using Simplenote vs iCloud notes on both iPhone and iPad (plus the website too I guess)? Is it reliable with syncing in the background without needing to launch the app while I have signal first? Has there ever been issues with notes randomly getting deleted or reverting to old versions, etc?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

smackfu posted:

iPad 1 is only 3.5 years since release and you could still buy brand new ones 2.5 years ago. That thing got unsupported fast, mainly because of the RAM.

Basically the old rule of "Never buy first gen Apple hardware" was once again proven true.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

xzzy posted:

Basically the old rule of "Never buy first gen Apple hardware" was once again proven true.

This can never be stated enough.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Oh who doesn't love this classic stupid debate.

Let's end it here mmk?

Computers, even macs go obsolete but they take almost 5 years to do so unless you're a gamer. Even once that five years is up they don't get worse, they just continue to do what they were good at.

An iPad objectively gets worse as developers make updates and apple forces that poo poo down the AppStore. Sure, it too can continue doing what it does a million years later but the very instance something, anything, goes wrong and you have to reinstall an app, restore iOS, take it in, etc, it becomes a fancy expensive paperweight.

It probably is the only device on the planet to go obsolete like that. Even cell phones from a million years ago can still operate as a cellphone.

So yeah, stop jumping down peoples throats when they have a complaint about a poorly (or brilliantly, if you're a robotic business type) managed product cycle.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Oh please, cut the bullshit hyperbole. A first gen iPad works exactly the same today as it did the almost 4 years ago it was introduced. Browse the web, read books, watch shows, use apps, it works fine. You can reinstall iOS just fine.

Great job making the 'stupid debate' even stupider.

edit: I also challenge you to find an Android (or any other) tablet that old (or as close as possible considering there were none before the iPad) that works as well as the iPad 1.

DarkJC fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 21, 2013

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Guys, shut up and go get Marvin right now. It's free "for a very limited time".

e: it's an ebook reader in case you don't know, probably the best one out there.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Zigmidge posted:

Oh who doesn't love this classic stupid debate.

Let's end it here mmk?

Computers, even macs go obsolete but they take almost 5 years to do so unless you're a gamer. Even once that five years is up they don't get worse, they just continue to do what they were good at.

An iPad objectively gets worse as developers make updates and apple forces that poo poo down the AppStore. Sure, it too can continue doing what it does a million years later but the very instance something, anything, goes wrong and you have to reinstall an app, restore iOS, take it in, etc, it becomes a fancy expensive paperweight.

It probably is the only device on the planet to go obsolete like that. Even cell phones from a million years ago can still operate as a cellphone.

So yeah, stop jumping down peoples throats when they have a complaint about a poorly (or brilliantly, if you're a robotic business type) managed product cycle.

iOS devices aren't *that* fragile - I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that having to reinstall an app or restore the OS is a death sentence. Especially now, since both the iOS and Mac App Stores will let you download the last compatible version of an app for your given hardware.

Nihiliste fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 21, 2013

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Zigmidge posted:

You sure about that? They made a ton of AMPS/TDMA phones even into the early 2000s that stopped working in 2008 when they shut down those analog networks.

the kawaiiest posted:

e: it's an ebook reader in case you don't know, probably the best one out there.

Nice, thanks. I'm going to check this out.

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

the kawaiiest posted:

Just downloaded. Nice tweakability, for sure. Selling themes that I assume really only amount to a color shift is kind of sketchy.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

DarkJC posted:

Oh please, cut the bullshit hyperbole. A first gen iPad works exactly the same today as it did the almost 4 years ago it was introduced. Browse the web, read books, watch shows, use apps, it works fine. You can reinstall iOS just fine.

Great job making the 'stupid debate' even stupider.

edit: I also challenge you to find an Android (or any other) tablet that old (or as close as possible considering there were none before the iPad) that works as well as the iPad 1.

A G1 on the newest CynanogenMod that supports it probably runs just as well as an iPad 1.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
New Dropbox is out with AirDrop support, works pretty slick.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

spongeworthy posted:

New Dropbox is out with AirDrop support, works pretty slick.

What does it actually do? Can I send people files from my Dropbox to their iPhones or what?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

tuyop posted:

What does it actually do? Can I send people files from my Dropbox to their iPhones or what?

Yep, that's all I've done so far anyhow.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

DarkJC posted:

No you can't because Apple stops signing old IOS versions and makes it impossible to download old versions of apps.

VVV try downloading iBooks on an IOS6 device sometime. Also, the latest IOS that a device supports is usually (always?) not the best one to be using.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Nov 22, 2013

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
That's actually no longer true! It's up to companies now if they want to make old versions available or not.

That doesn't mean everyone will, though. If, say, Netflix updates their backend servers to use a new protocol, the old apps might cease to work. (Which is one reason why a company might not want to make its old version available.)

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Nov 22, 2013

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

~Coxy posted:

No you can't because Apple stops signing old IOS versions and makes it impossible to download old versions of apps.

You absolutely can restore an iPad 1 to the latest version of iOS it supports. You can also download old versions of apps like others have said.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

the kawaiiest posted:

Holy poo poo, it is easily the best one out there. It can get stuff from OPDS, Dropbox, and Calibre and it can sync last-read locations between devices via Dropbox and it has a zillion formatting options.

Now I feel like I owe these guys $2.99.

edit: Whoa you can set everything up the way you like on one device, then create a backup of the library and all settings, then restore that backup on another device. Now I feel like I owe these guys more than $2.99.

withak fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
If only it somehow synced with a kindle. :negative:

• Locked thread