Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Chefs can enjoy the barman's new chemistry kit too!

quote:

Spigot The Bear says, "Serving a cake that should HOPEFULLY have hilarious results unless I have misunderstood chemistry again"
You add the icing to the cake.
The substance violently detonates!
... You can almost hear someone talking ...
You have given up life and succumbed to death.
Spigot The Bear seizes up and falls limp, his eyes dead and lifeless...
DEAD: Ghost (Spigot The Bear) laments, "I misunderstood chemistry again"

Chlorine azide cake #1: a cake that the greedy chef hordes all to himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekret
Dec 6, 2001
Curse you, Massive Genitals!
Just had my first Traitor round as a Mechanic and had a pretty good time emagging things. I did end up on the receiving end of my own emagged Beepsky, but a kind Sec Officer valiantly fought him off and defended me. I spent the rest of the round bolting half of door pairs and then dropping mousetrap pipebombs covered in metal. I don't think anyone else noticed me the whole round, just my results.

Klayboxx
Aug 23, 2013

Please pay attention to me :(

Dauntasa posted:

I once got like 3 flare guns and 3 packs of syndiecools. Pointblank flare someone to knock them down, light the cigarette off their corpse, drop it and run.

It was actually hilariously powerful.

I've done that too, it's powerful and fun as gently caress.

One thing I've always wanted to do and I've only attempted once unsuccessfully is to get heat resist, set myself on fire and use myself to light syndicools and chuck them at people. It leaves you really vulnerable since it's basically your only defense but I think it's hilarious.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Klayboxx posted:

One thing I've always wanted to do and I've only attempted once unsuccessfully is to get heat resist, set myself on fire and use myself to light syndicools and chuck them at people. It leaves you really vulnerable since it's basically your only defense but I think it's hilarious.

I managed a less-lethal version of that trick with Fireproof, regular cigs, and drinking welding fuel. Unfortunately, when I finally pulled it off, fire was buggy and acted more like jello. :( It was really entertaining when fire was acting normally and I burnt myself to death repeatedly. (And accidentally caused the death of a fellow security officer who didn't know how to stop, drop, and roll. Sorry about that. :ohdear:)

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

Chefs can enjoy the barman's new chemistry kit too!

Chlorine azide cake #1: a cake that the greedy chef hordes all to himself

Ahahahahahahahahhahaha that's loving amazing.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
How did you even do that? Did you already ice the cake with half of the ingredients, and then re-ice it with the other half?

Edit: Speaking of, when you bake a cake out of something that you deep-fried, do the reagents that you poured into the deep-frier transfer into the cake? I.E. if I tried to make a Fried Hotdog Cake, and I deep-fried the hotdog in bourbon, would eating slices of the cake make people drunk?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Let me answer both at once!

GOONSAY: Admiral jimbob: I deep-fried a thing in 5/6 Azide ingredients, then made a cake, and used the 6th ingredient for the icing
GOONSAY: Admiral jimbob: figured it would only explode when someone ate it and the reagents combined inside them
GOONSAY: Backifran: heeheheheheh
GOONSAY: Backifran: nice
GOONSAY: Admiral jimbob: it did not quite do that
GOONSAY: Admiral jimbob: the cake exploded and blew up half the kitchen as soon as I added the icing
GOONSAY: Backifran: you misunderstood chemistry
GOONSAY: Admiral jimbob: spigot the gone

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

Let me answer both at once!

GOONSAY: Admiral jimbob: I deep-fried a thing in 5/6 Azide ingredients, then made a cake, and used the 6th ingredient for the icing
GOONSAY: Admiral jimbob: figured it would only explode when someone ate it and the reagents combined inside them
GOONSAY: Backifran: heeheheheheh
GOONSAY: Backifran: nice
GOONSAY: Admiral jimbob: it did not quite do that
GOONSAY: Admiral jimbob: the cake exploded and blew up half the kitchen as soon as I added the icing
GOONSAY: Backifran: you misunderstood chemistry
GOONSAY: Admiral jimbob: spigot the gone

Fry thing in 5/6 Azide ingredients, serve with tasty beverage containing last ingredient?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I guess great minds think alike! :v:

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Be sure to serve the last azide ingredient in a glass of milk. Always serve milk with a cake.

Top Quark
Aug 2, 2010

"Going where no man has gone before."
So I've also been collecting all player deaths for a while now. With the help of Mysha I managed to create an all-time death heatmap. This thing groups all deaths within a 3x3 tile radius on a grid, so it's not exactly tile accurate (which is why the corridors seem "safe") and it ignores all rounds with super low deaths and super high deaths. It is only really useful as a very general idea of hotspots.

But yeah, turns out the place people die the most is...

Everywhere

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

how is the wizard station red what the gently caress

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

Dauntasa posted:

how is the wizard station red what the gently caress

Wizards teleporting back there and suiciding out of frustration when they lose a leg.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I love the death zones along exit lines from the station... or mass launchers.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Clearly the only solution to avoid an untimely death is to immediately leap out of the station airlock upon arrival and head for the "green" space zones.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
We were talking in deadchat today, this is a nifty suggestion, would a particle lab be something fun to implement? Working with things like discovering ways to use neutrinos or discover dark matter would be neat.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Top Hats Monthly posted:

We were talking in deadchat today, this is a nifty suggestion, would a particle lab be something fun to implement? Working with things like discovering ways to use neutrinos or discover dark matter would be neat.

I would actually start playing scientist if that gets added.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Top Hats Monthly posted:

It's an interesting concept. How do you see it operating, and how would it interact with and potentially benefit other departments?

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Dr Cheeto posted:

It's an interesting concept. How do you see it operating, and how would it interact with and potentially benefit other departments?

Fold it into Artefact Research so that AR actually becomes something fun to do.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

ChickenHeart posted:

Clearly the only solution to avoid an untimely death is to immediately leap out of the station airlock upon arrival and head for the "green" space zones.

The uncolored areas are the safest. So basically the NE and SE corners of the map.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

How the hell isn't chemistry a giant red dot?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Anticheese posted:

How the hell isn't chemistry a giant red dot?

Holy poo poo is that a green splotch across chem? What? Wouldn't Sailor Dave's infinite clone death inferno make that red just on its own?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Dauntasa posted:

Holy poo poo is that a green splotch across chem? What? Wouldn't Sailor Dave's infinite clone death inferno make that red just on its own?

Rounds with high or low death counts weren't counted.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Dr Cheeto posted:

I could see maybe the discovery/conversion of dark matter into energy being used by engineering, the discovery of manipulating some elementary particles (lets break some symmetry), or maybe even making anti-matter. I thought this up all on the fly but I find those being possibilities. How it would be done would be a different story, I really feel like science doesn't need more math or DWAINE, but needs to find a way to be userfriendly. Perhaps a small bombardment chamber or a condensed hadron collider.

Dauntasa posted:

As much as chemists tend to get themselves into trouble, a large majority of them I've seen saved by their comrades.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Do you really need an excuse to make a bigass laser?

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Dr Cheeto posted:

I don't care, I just want to build the Large Hadron Collider in the escape wing. :colbert:

Ferrovanadium fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 22, 2013

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Top Hats Monthly posted:

As much as chemists tend to get themselves into trouble, a large majority of them I've seen saved by their comrades.

Makes sense - if you're going to be attempting a dangerous and foolish experiment in five minutes and the guy next to you just blew himself into crit and you save him, he owes you when you blow yourself into crit.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Let the particle lab research upgrades for weapons and such, but more importantly, use it to research tools that can close spacial anomalies, wormholes (i.e. a secondary pod weapon that creates a field around an area the stops other pods from warping out), black holes, etc. Right now, if a black hole randomly or "randomly" spawns, the whole area's hosed. And also tools to create all of the above. Give the particle accelerator a chance to open a small black hole that damages the lab before fizzling out, so it doesn't ruin the whole station.

Give it a space where various things can be put in, like a block of metal/piece of research equipment that will let you measure the effectiveness of the new particle beam you've created. Also, make it possible to configure the device in a way that if put a person in that space and turn it on it turns the subject into a being of pure energy.

Montegoraon fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Nov 22, 2013

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go
"Right now, if a black hole randomly or "randomly" spawns, the whole area's hosed..."

Well yeah, that's intentional. You don't stop a black hole event, nor should there be any way to stop it.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

"Right now, if a black hole randomly or "randomly" spawns, the whole area's hosed..."

Well yeah, that's intentional. You don't stop a black hole event, nor should there be any way to stop it.

Point notwithstanding, what do you think of the idea in general?

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

I would like a way to contain black holes and then do something interesting with them like turn them into portals to an otherwise inaccessible zlevel or something.

Edit: Maybe it could be one of those high energy cost optional things that was talked about lastnight that actually makes use of an engine outputting a lot of energy?

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Point notwithstanding, what do you think of the idea in general?
It's not really an idea, it's just sort of a vague suggestion of a thing that'd be neat. How would it actually work? What would it do? So far all that's been suggested is 'add particle colliders and maybe they can make black holes? lasers??'

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

lohli posted:

I would like a way to contain black holes and then do something interesting with them like turn them into portals to an otherwise inaccessible zlevel or something.

Edit: Maybe it could be one of those high energy cost optional things that was talked about lastnight that actually makes use of an engine outputting a lot of energy?

Set up a hellburn then build a ludicrously overpowered particle accelerator before the station melts or explodes!

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Geokinesis posted:

Fold it into Artefact Research so that AR actually becomes something fun to do.

Artifacts now become exotic matter that the particle lab must study.

E: How would it work and what would it do.

Someone finds exotic matter, it gets put in some sort of big machine and messed with to discover what it is. Have this machine be a mass spec, that can be hilariously unsafe if used incorrectly, to find out what a substance is. Make it so the matter can be a mixture and add a centrifuge to separate it out, this also can be hilariously unsafe in that if not set up right it can fling things across the room at great speed. Add an accelerator so these exotic matters can be broken down into stuff like particles with negative mass, tachyons, and gravitons. Another cool thing to have would be a reactor so the job isn't stranded if there is no one looking for the exotic matter in space.

These new materials can be interesting reagents that do cool things themselves and awesome things when combined with other jobs. It also gives you a way to enrich uranium if you ever want to have a nuclear engine.

Azuth0667 fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 22, 2013

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Infinite Monkeys posted:

It's not really an idea, it's just sort of a vague suggestion of a thing that'd be neat. How would it actually work? What would it do? So far all that's been suggested is 'add particle colliders and maybe they can make black holes? lasers??'

What about a large hadron collider that really can tear holes in the universe? Create your own new materials to make things from. Or cause horrific void accidents and pull creatures from beyond mortal ken into reality! Stick it in the debris or mining z-level and have the actual collider ring open to space, so you can have some utterly hosed outcomes without the station suffering too much. See if you can turn it into a portal for the Almighty Cluwne to honk his way through into your world :unsmigghh:.

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track
Learn to pick and shovel too
And take my hammer, it'll do anything you tell it to
Just started and am already enjoying myself. The basic controls don't seem too bad but I've watched about a dozen or so videos and read some wiki pages to try and have a chance to understand what to do. Hopefully I'll be a chef soon so I can start making burgers all the time. And hopefully not cake that summons cats that beat the health into me. Well, not to begin with anyway

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Gotta Wear Shades posted:

Just started and am already enjoying myself. The basic controls don't seem too bad but I've watched about a dozen or so videos and read some wiki pages to try and have a chance to understand what to do. Hopefully I'll be a chef soon so I can start making burgers all the time. And hopefully not cake that summons cats that beat the health into me. Well, not to begin with anyway

I'll have you know that my cat drugs cake is a masterpiece of food chemistry design.

I'm loving the chem dispenser in the bar, by the way. It's fantastic for exotic, drug-laden foods.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 22, 2013

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Infinite Monkeys posted:

I just enjoyed the thought that maybe something else science can actually do. What would be interesting about a particle collider is maybe lets say this:

Dr. Dick and Dr. Dave are working on the SS13 HC, and after enough of *insert thing I haven't thought of* they accidentally stumble upon a containable form of matter that has extremely volatile but powerful properties, they send the highly unstable element down to the mechanics, who manage to combine it with a energy cell casing to create an extremely powerful battery that has X+ the charge, at the cost of it requiring much higher power to charge and intermixed with failing.

Later, after Dr. Dave died in an awful accident, Dr. Dick fired photons into a portal in telesci and waited for the reflection of the photon back at the instruments to help assist telesci in pinpointing an exact location.
I'm sorry that was a probably long incoherent stream of consciousness. I just see it having potential.

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track
Learn to pick and shovel too
And take my hammer, it'll do anything you tell it to

Jazerus posted:

I'll have you know that my cat drugs cake is a masterpiece of food chemistry design.

It was pretty cool when I realized that the cats weren't murdering me. And then I suffered meth withdrawal so, you know, give and take.

Dumb question: what's the colloquial gibber? The processor? I'm having a hard time getting monkey-sized dead things to go in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Gotta Wear Shades posted:

It was pretty cool when I realized that the cats weren't murdering me. And then I suffered meth withdrawal so, you know, give and take.

Dumb question: what's the colloquial gibber? The processor? I'm having a hard time getting monkey-sized dead things to go in there.

There's literally a machine called the Gibber in the freezer.

• Locked thread