Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Prenton posted:

Look out, it's another go at Doom: But on the Amiga

Gloom ( Black Magic, 1995 ), starring this constipated looking man

There's few versions of this floating about. If you're emulating get the Gloom Deluxe version and crank everything up. This allows you to go from something that starts up looking like this:

to this:

Don't get Gloom 3/Ultimate Gloom/Gloom: Zombie edition as this appears to be a cash-grab from 1997 ( a point where even I'd realised the game was up with the Amiga ) where they gave some lad a few quid to hack in his own graphics and levels with predictable results. Oh look, CU Amiga gave it 80%.

It's not Doom, and sensibly doesn't try to be. This is more like Rise of The Triad: but on the Amiga. It's dumb as a bag of rocks, it's running a beefed-up Wolfenstein-ish engine, and everyone explodes into a huge shower of gibs.

Also, it has level names like "STAY ALERT! WATCH OUT FOR AGGRO SKINHEADS!".

I remember being touted as "one of the good ones" back in the day, and it's certainly one of the better efforts. For starters it actually has sensible ( but non-configurable ) keyboard controls in the old Classic FPS "cursors keys + strafe modifier" layout. But there's some big flaws, mostly due to the fact it's an extremely simple game: your weapons are unsatisfying, all firing different coloured blobs of light of varying power. So do the enemy's weapons. It also suffers from something that a lot of D:BOTA games get wrong, or just plain didn't think about at all: the sound. Enemies make no sound at all - apart from grunts when you're hitting them - so if you're not paying attention all the time you'll suddenly get AGGRO SKINHEADed with no warning at all. Still, it's quick, dumb fun. There also a charming bit in the manual that tells you how to rewrite part of the game if you think you can do better, which gives you some idea of who was left still using the Amiga at that point.

In conclusion: seriously, don't get Gloom 3.

Looks like a retro indie game. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

catlord posted:

Wasn't there a Gloom 4: Zombie Massacre? I could have sworn that's what that recent Uwe Boll movie was based on.

Oh God. Look at the intro. Look at it

I had no idea about this. Wikipedia claims it wasn't released as Gloom 4, but it's the same guy. I think the Uwe Boll connection is a "look at the videogames dreck Boll is digging up now!!!!" wind-up though.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Prenton posted:

Oh God. Look at the intro. Look at it

I had no idea about this. Wikipedia claims it wasn't released as Gloom 4, but it's the same guy. I think the Uwe Boll connection is a "look at the videogames dreck Boll is digging up now!!!!" wind-up though.

I like how it just has the plasma gun from Doom in it.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I've searched and searched but I can't find anything related to any 2000 AD properties anywhere in the Doom community. I find it hard to believe that the fanbases of Doom and Judge Dredd/Strontium Dog have never intersected at some point.

I just want to be Johnny Alpha :(

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Ddraig posted:

I've searched and searched but I can't find anything related to any 2000 AD properties anywhere in the Doom community. I find it hard to believe that the fanbases of Doom and Judge Dredd/Strontium Dog have never intersected at some point.

I just want to be Johnny Alpha :(

The nearest I think you'll get is Dredd vs Death. Not a bad game, not really old school, doesn't have any widescreen support, and isn't like, good, but probably the closest you'll get. There's also Rogue Trooper I guess, but I've never played it.

SaucyLoggins
Jan 4, 2012

Panstallions For Life
So I played a little bit of Wrack. The weapons feel really off. They either need to fire much faster or they need a really bad rear end weapon animation. In the same vain the weapons need some serious work in the sound category. I can't really pin point what needs to be done to give the game a classic feel, but the weapons feel really weak and slow. They're just extremely boring to use. I think they should make the sword a alternate key, like F for instance so you can use it with another weapon equipped to up the pace a bit. Either that or it needs to be more responsive by itself to not feel sluggish as poo poo.

The doom weapons didn't have the highest rate of fire but they fired the nano second you pulled the trigger with extremely gratifying sounds and the only delay between firing was a dopamine inducing bad rear end reload animation.

SaucyLoggins fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Nov 19, 2013

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SaucyLoggins posted:

The doom weapons didn't have the highest rate of fire but they fired the nano second you pulled the trigger with extremely gratifying sounds and the only delay between firing was a dopamine inducing bad rear end reload animation.
:spergin: There's a delay between hitting the trigger and firing for most Doom weapons. The rapid-fire weapons (chaingun, chainsaw, and plasma rifle) are instantaneous. The others have a delay:
  • Shotgun, SSG: about 0.085 seconds delay
  • Fist, Pistol: about 0.114 seconds delay
  • Rocket Launcher: about 0.228 seconds delay
  • BFG 9000: about 0.857 seconds delay, nearly a whole second!

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
I finally finished Shadow Warrior 2013. Aside from a weak final boss and The Touch not playing for me during the final level, it was pretty solid. Better than ROTT2013, at least. The combos are kinda irritating to execute and the level design got a tad lazy when in Zilla's fortress (especially with the dumb central room you "fight" him in for the first time), and the money/upgrade system needs some tweaking.

I swear to Christ, that face that serves as a godawful splash/menu screen seems familiar.

Tiggs
Aug 11, 2002

My roommates and I were just finishing a game of Battlefield 4 and I yearned for a game that was faster, recalling the golden days of 8 player Unreal Tournament '99. I'm trying to relive those moments, and want to get a LAN going. We'd play base UT99 DM for sure, but are there any must have Mutators/Maps that really changed up the game?

Also, are there any other classic multiplayer FPSes that we should play again? Rocket Crowbar for Half Life for sure.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Tiggs posted:

My roommates and I were just finishing a game of Battlefield 4 and I yearned for a game that was faster, recalling the golden days of 8 player Unreal Tournament '99. I'm trying to relive those moments, and want to get a LAN going. We'd play base UT99 DM for sure, but are there any must have Mutators/Maps that really changed up the game?

Also, are there any other classic multiplayer FPSes that we should play again? Rocket Crowbar for Half Life for sure.

Every now and then, UT99 comes up in this thread. Nali Weapons 3 is a pretty recent mod that adds a series of polished, interesting weapons to the game. There's a rocket launcher that can alternate between pretty diverse payloads, a gun that creates black holes, a freeze gun, a sniper laser rifle that can see through walls, a couple of doomsday devices, etc. All (or most) of the weapons have primary and alternate fires, so you can play around with a lot of relatively interesting features.

Chaos UT and Unreal 4Ever Tournament (U4ET) are two of the more popular fixtures of any modlist, too: Both add new maps, new gametypes, new weapons, items, mutators, etc--the whole spectrum. U4ET is a little sloppy, especially when standing next to ChaosUT, but it has some the most interesting features of any large-scale UT99 mod, and a plethora of really wild weapons.

"Freeze Tag" is a pretty cool take on team-based deathmatch, introducing a new gametype where opponents "freeze" in place when they lose all of their health. Teammates can "unfreeze" friendlies by standing next to them for several seconds, and the match is over when an entire team is frozen.

"Carry the Flag" is another twist on the CTF game where you have to physically return your flag to its stand when it is stolen (you can't just tag it and have it magically return). It can make for some really tense "longest yard" type situations. Plus the AI does pretty great with it.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Tiggs posted:

I'm still a huge fan of the original Quake deathmatch. Quake 3 might be the go-to favourite for multiplayer, but Quake has that visceral appeal that's quite hard to match.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
If you want something psuedorealistic, but still fast, get yourself Ballistic Weapons for UT2004 - preferably with BallisticPro, which has most of the unfinished weapons, and the Prototypes pack, which has all the unskinned weapons (and alternate versions of the unfinished weapons). That'll allow you to have lever-action grenade launchers, a cool-looking ripoff of the Aliens Pulse Rifle (that can fire healing gas), .50 caliber machine guns, and a bitching autoshotgun.

There's also a version of ChaosUT for it. It adds on an Invasion gametype that essentially turns UT2004 into a PVE Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, if that's your bag, and allows a dueling one-on-one with melee weapons and over-the-top announcer.

JackMackerel fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Nov 21, 2013

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

So I'm having fun playing blood, but is there a reason old DOS games didn't let you configure the controls ingame?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Is there any way to set up coop players in (G)ZDoom to have some sort of indicator of where they are? A floating name would be great, otherwise it gets crazy crowded.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

JackMackerel posted:

If you want something psuedorealistic, but still fast, get yourself Ballistic Weapons for UT2004 - preferably with BallisticPro, which has most of the unfinished weapons, and the Prototypes pack, which has all the unskinned weapons (and alternate versions of the unfinished weapons). That'll allow you to have lever-action grenade launchers, a cool-looking ripoff of the Aliens Pulse Rifle (that can fire healing gas), .50 caliber machine guns, and a bitching autoshotgun.

There's also a version of ChaosUT for it. It adds on an Invasion gametype that essentially turns UT2004 into a PVE Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, if that's your bag, and allows a dueling one-on-one with melee weapons and over-the-top announcer.

It makes an already horrible worthless game into something even more irritating and pointless.

Let's be real: anyone with a functioning brain who wants to play deathmatch gets Quake III. gently caress off if you're retarded enough to need stupid wacky poo poo from UT. Smart people play Quake. Pathetic fat nerds who want delicate baby cushions and silly fun time firecrackers play UT. Actual gamers play Quake.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Adult males who are capable of having erections play Quake.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Sorry UT is way more fun, whether deathmatch or any other of the Really Fun Game Modes.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

xanthan posted:

So I'm having fun playing blood, but is there a reason old DOS games didn't let you configure the controls ingame?

Sure there is: They hadn't thought of it yet.

Honestly, it was a pretty radical idea, that a user might know better than the professional game designers and interface people and testers who created it. The only games of that era that I can remember having any configurability were joystick games, because joysticks were not at all standardized and flight games were for neckbeards.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Barfing Cumlord posted:

Sorry UT is way more fun, whether deathmatch or any other of the Really Fun Game Modes.

Fun is not important, noob. You should know this by now.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

xanthan posted:

It would use up precious RAM in a time when even with a DOS extender you still didn't have much to spare.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

An Enormous Boner posted:

Fun is not important, noob. You should know this by now.

No items, Fox only, Final Destination.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
I just got all the equipment for my super computer with a GTX 780, which I will be building over the weekend.

The original Doom will be the first game I play on it. :allears:

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

Bouchacha posted:

Is there any way to set up coop players in (G)ZDoom to have some sort of indicator of where they are? A floating name would be great, otherwise it gets crazy crowded.

That'd be a nice mod. I've been introducing some friends to Doom lately and they often get lost on the more intricate maps.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Bouchacha posted:

They show up on the automap, when a freind and I played co-op we set our automaps to overlay mode so we always knew where each other was.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Spacedad posted:

I just got all the equipment for my super computer with a GTX 780, which I will be building over the weekend.

The original Doom will be the first game I play on it. :allears:

1920x1200, 32xAA and no texture filtering, that's how I roll.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

catlord posted:

The nearest I think you'll get is Dredd vs Death. Not a bad game, not really old school, doesn't have any widescreen support, and isn't like, good, but probably the closest you'll get. There's also Rogue Trooper I guess, but I've never played it.

Rogue Trooper is like a funny, better gears of war. It's criminally underrated and imitated.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

An Enormous Boner posted:

Adult males who are capable of having erections play Quake.

Counterpoint: Nehahra :smuggo:

Pirate Doom is fun and you should all be playing it.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

While I do like Quake III, I play UT way more often. The weapons are more fun to use and it's got a thumpin' 90s techno soundtrack. :hellyeah:

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
I still wonder how the heck Quake III had an absolutely insane database of custom player models that hasn't been matched in any vaguely retro multiplayer FPS since. Everything from obscure cartoons to a demon-possessed T-Rex to those aliens from the Area 51 Arcade Game.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Quake is better for fast paced Deathmatches.

Except Deathmatches are boring and UT is better in every other mode.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
UT has Assault mode. Checkmate :smug:

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

KozmoNaut posted:

No items, Fox only, Final Destination.

Rocket Arena, Hossman only, Q3DM17: The Longest Yard.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I wonder if starting your own servers will be possible when they release the stand alone QL client (using -dedicated). I've always though they should have released QL as a giant patch to Q3 because it does add a lot of niceties.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

JackMackerel posted:

I still wonder how the heck Quake III had an absolutely insane database of custom player models that hasn't been matched in any vaguely retro multiplayer FPS since. Everything from obscure cartoons to a demon-possessed T-Rex to those aliens from the Area 51 Arcade Game.

It was the sweet spot of player models. Before that, Quake I and II were pretty much just editing skins to make really awkward characters; the tools to model player models were too rudimentary and difficult for the unwashed masses to use. After that, Source engine / Id tech 4 and onwards, player models become too complex. It takes a ton of time to polish them up now and make them look good, and it takes skill too. You have far less people on the internet with that skill, and even fewer still willing to put in the time for free to make good player models.

It was just the perfect time when you could do so easily and freely. You're totally right though, I've never downloaded as many silly custom player models as with Quake 3. I definitely remember killing people as Homer.

However, that's not completely gone / unique. Go look at minecraft, they hit the quake 1 level of infinite skin mods, since its so easy to modify them anybody can do it in paint. They look like butt since they're just stretched cube maps like Quake 1 faces, but it allows for quick content creation and iteration.

What we need is better tools for non- game developers. I saw a character editing tool on Steam the other day that lets you modify player models using quick tools and templates, and then ideally you can export it to 3dsmax or maya or your game format or whatever.

If they could really make that work so you can build characters with a simple GUI, and then if game makers could support those formats so you could painlessly import characters, then we'd see that kind of behavior return full force.

Its really sad how locked down games are, games that support modding have so much more potential. The internet has way more free time than your business ever will.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Yeah, I remember downloading all sorts of player and weapon models and maps, it was pretty surreal to play as Ash from Evil Dead and frag The Tick, Mario, Darth Vader, Homer, and many other pop culture icons while wielding weapons from Warhammer 40K in a Lego Castle or the inside of a computer.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Zaphod42 posted:

Its really sad how locked down games are, games that support modding have so much more potential. The internet has way more free time than your business ever will.

With modern games being what they are, partly for the reasons you already listed, supporting modding is taking more and more effort on the part of the developer.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

haveblue posted:

With modern games being what they are, partly for the reasons you already listed, supporting modding is taking more and more effort on the part of the developer.

But that's why I'm saying lets break it, and create some common interfaces. If there's a common format, then all game makers only have to support that format and they're done. They don't have to release and support tools or anything as long as they all agree upon a common interface. Other companies will happily sell software to create data to that format, like the example that already exists on steam.

If you're using an engine like Unreal or Steam, you don't even have to do anything, the engine itself already supports modding, you just have to say "okay" to your customers. And most games use those popular engines now, so its not nearly as much work as you're making it out to be. Most of them just don't care to allow people to mess with "their vision", which is stupid.

The problem that keeps this from taking over is, its one of those things like new gaming peripherals, its a chicken and egg problem. Until lots of people use it, its not worth the developer's time to support it. But when developers don't support it, no users will care to buy the software and use it. Somehow you've gotta convince lots of major game engines to support a single format, and then everybody will get on board and that's how it'll work for the foreseeable future. But its hard getting over that initial push without fizzling out. But again, if a few major engine players would just agree, then everybody else would get to take advantage without even any work. And all the major engine developers already do support modding, because they intend their engines to be used to make other games. So its just getting Valve and Epic and Crytek and Dice to agree on a format, really. (Sorry Id nobody uses your engines anymore, but its your own fault)

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 21, 2013

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Q3 feels like a by-the-books arena FPS game that would get panned for being too generic if it came out today. UT99 lets you go nuts with fun and satisfying weapons, neat levels, nice bot AI, and lots of ways to play. It also has a personality that makes the game pretty addicting to play and it still looks pretty good. Q3's only real advantage is in duel matches. For everything else, UT99 does it better.

If you want crazy trickjumping and poo poo, play Quake 1. It's faster than Q3 wishes it could be, allows you to do some pretty crazy stunts, and actually has a personality, unlike Q3. Plus, Q1 has hilarious gibbing sounds that makes the rocket and grenade launchers a blast to use. Aslo, the bots out there for Q1 don't suck, unlike Q3's. :smug:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah Q3's "tournament - tier 1 - BEGIN - tier 2 - BEGIN" always came across as super slapdash to me, considering quake 1 and 2 were so atmospheric.

UT99 on the other hand did a decent job of setting up a mood, the concept art and music on the menus was fantastic. Its weird because its also an arena tournament shooter, extremely similar to Q3, and yet it somehow feels more... 'whole'.

Maybe its because you had those different 'factions' of players? Maybe it was just better level variety? IDK, but it definitely seemed like there was more of a story to UT99. :v:

I've actually logged more hours of UT99 on PS2 than PC, because it let us play 4 player split-screen when we were kids and I didn't exactly have 4 PCs sitting around. Pretty drat good port though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Quake III is way more dry and unforgiving and that's why people want to play UT99 to have fun. QIII is Terminator, UT99 is Terminator 2.