Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

What is this called, does it work well, and if it does where can I get one?

(It's basically a screwdriver with a flexible shaft and a socket on the end, but I have no idea what it's called and if it's worth it to work on the annoying hose clamps on the BMW. It looks brilliant, but I'm not sure how well it works in practicality.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom
I've always seen them called "flexible hose clamp drivers". I have a shorter one that works pretty well.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SCORE:

Says "Series No. 28" on the data plate. It was free, and it works.

Gotta try to track down some more info on it. Google was not very helpful on some cursory searches.

The plastic cover on the front screams 70s/80s, so I assume it's not all that old, but it is solid and heavy.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Suniikaa posted:

I've always seen them called "flexible hose clamp drivers". I have a shorter one that works pretty well.
Yep, I have one that's about 18" long, great for hose clamps and other low-torque fasteners in stupid places.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Flexible 1/4"driver.

Went to the classic motor show today, amongst some tat I picked up some palm ratchets in 1/4" and 3/8", pretty cool, I'd never seen them before.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

slidebite posted:

Snarky? Not sure how anything I said is snarky...?

Only thing I said is I am not sure why it would be assumed its oilfield duty. I have never heard of that myself.

The customer is a general machinist.

"Big boy" was just refering to its size... Its a pretty big lathe is all I meant. Nothing hidden or cryptic.

E: didnt mean to offend anyone.. Guess I needed to be clearer.

An oil field lathe refers to a big spindle bore lathe with a really long bed. Sometimes also called hollow spindle lathes.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

Flexible 1/4"driver.

Went to the classic motor show today, amongst some tat I picked up some palm ratchets in 1/4" and 3/8", pretty cool, I'd never seen them before.
I decided not to go this year (though my dad did). I kind of hit saturation point with it, and besides, I always go on Friday, and I don't have any holiday hours left. I'll probably go next year, though.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Should I be able to get these wheels off with standard tools? No idea what I need.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

It looks like that lugnut has ten sides internally. That's probably some weird anti-theft thing. It looks like you can get a ten point lugnut key that'll work for like $20 from here. There's probably other sellers, but that's gonna be the best option unless you have some extractor tool that will fit.

Just make sure to measure it beforehand. Calipers are pretty cheap and really, really useful if you don't have 'em.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Cakefool posted:

Flexible 1/4"driver.

I've got a 10" flexible driver one of my kids gave me as part of a cheapass elementary school "secret santa" ratchet screwdriver kit years ago- in my case, it's like as a standard hex screwdriver extension vice 1/4" driver, but I have a socket adapter for it. drat thing's useless if you need any torque (it's impossible to brace completely, and twists up like a pretzel), but it's come in handy on a great many occasions. The stubby palm ratchet screwdriver that came with it has been even handier still, and is amazingly still not broken despite being cheap plastic and heavily abused.

Bottom line: won't help you break that hard-to-reach rusty bolt out, but it's a nice tool to have in the toolbox.

e: mine is a lot like this, but a different color, and came with some sockets, too.

grover fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Nov 18, 2013

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

thegasman2000 posted:

Should I be able to get these wheels off with standard tools? No idea what I need.

Yeah, I see ten lobes as well, which doesn't really equate to any standard. It's most likely some sort of anti-theft bolt.

If it doesn't have to survive, you could maybe get a cheap torx bit (six-lobe) in the right size and hammer that fucker in there, but your best bet is probably to see if you can find the correct safety adapter.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
Thanks. It's on a 1980 Vw camper with aftermarket wheel. All the lug nuts are like it :( glad it will be easy to buy a socket.

gently caress locking wheel nuts to hell.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
look in the glove box for an adapter socket? I ended up finding one for my car because it has weird tuner lug bolts.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Can you get an accurate measurement of the dimension across the points of the recess?

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

rscott posted:

look in the glove box for an adapter socket? I ended up finding one for my car because it has weird tuner lug bolts.

Searched high and low. I have actually stripped the entire interior... It's not here!

Got me a tape measure :)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

thegasman2000 posted:

Got me a tape measure :)
I was thinking more like a digital calliper!

Anyway, barring further information, might I suggest trying one of these:
http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares...ID_65828102.htm

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

InitialDave posted:

I was thinking more like a digital calliper!

Anyway, barring further information, might I suggest trying one of these:
http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares...ID_65828102.htm

Awesome thanks! Ordered... Sure it will fit as I have BRM wheels...

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

grover posted:

I've got a 10" flexible driver one of my kids gave me as part of a cheapass elementary school "secret santa" ratchet screwdriver kit years ago- in my case, it's like as a standard hex screwdriver extension vice 1/4" driver, but I have a socket adapter for it. drat thing's useless if you need any torque (it's impossible to brace completely, and twists up like a pretzel), but it's come in handy on a great many occasions. The stubby palm ratchet screwdriver that came with it has been even handier still, and is amazingly still not broken despite being cheap plastic and heavily abused.

Bottom line: won't help you break that hard-to-reach rusty bolt out, but it's a nice tool to have in the toolbox.

e: mine is a lot like this, but a different color, and came with some sockets, too.

This is what I've got:

sbyers77
Jan 9, 2004

Just bought a house and driving my lady nuts with the tools spread everywhere. I have been authorized to buy a tool chest of some sort.

Looks like woot has a Craftsman tool chest for $255 today. I am also thinking about trying to score one on Black Friday from Home Depot or Lowes or even Harbor Freight.

I am not worried about brand or being super high quality, but I don't want a flimsy POS either. Any pointers on specific models/brands that have a decent price/quality ratio? I'd like something in the $200 range, but can go higher if needed.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I've heard pretty good things about DeWalt 18v impact wrenches (Like this)

Has anyone used one? I want to be able to slam in normal stuff like control arm bolts, shocks, etc. Would it be safest to go with at least 1/2" or would 3/8" be sufficient? I already have a ton of 3/8" sockets, though they're not specifically made for impact wrenches.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

sbyers77 posted:

Just bought a house and driving my lady nuts with the tools spread everywhere. I have been authorized to buy a tool chest of some sort.

Looks like woot has a Craftsman tool chest for $255 today. I am also thinking about trying to score one on Black Friday from Home Depot or Lowes or even Harbor Freight.

I am not worried about brand or being super high quality, but I don't want a flimsy POS either. Any pointers on specific models/brands that have a decent price/quality ratio? I'd like something in the $200 range, but can go higher if needed.

Ironically enough, harbor freight has the most solid out of those. Husky and Craftsman are onsale on black friday, but you can't beat the $349 40" US general. Best all around toolbox out there IMO.

ajcz
Aug 27, 2009
I have the bigass half inch gun and use it all the time at the junkyard,The 3/8 struggles sometimes. If you want suspension and lugs go with the 1/2. the 3/8 i use for nothing really but quickly tearing down lawnmower engines for scrap.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

ajcz posted:

I have the bigass half inch gun and use it all the time at the junkyard,The 3/8 struggles sometimes. If you want suspension and lugs go with the 1/2. the 3/8 i use for nothing really but quickly tearing down lawnmower engines for scrap.

Thank you - I don't want to buy one and then not be able to use it on everything.

sbyers77
Jan 9, 2004

the spyder posted:

Ironically enough, harbor freight has the most solid out of those. Husky and Craftsman are onsale on black friday, but you can't beat the $349 40" US general. Best all around toolbox out there IMO.

That would be this red 44" one, yes?

The black one felt pretty flimsy last time I was there, which was below my quality threshold. The red ones seemed pretty solid. The general consensus is the black ones are crummy, but the reds ones are decent?

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

sbyers77 posted:

The black one felt pretty flimsy last time I was there, which was below my quality threshold. The red ones seemed pretty solid. The general consensus is the black ones are crummy, but the reds ones are decent?

That's the one. Short of a used tool truck box (Snap-On/MAC/Matco/etc.) it's the best buy for the money.

Some nerd did a big writeup about it over here and it comes down to the harbor freight box and the Kobalt from Lowes: http://garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153445

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Any thoughts on the Harbor Freight 80 amp inverter welder (not the $79 buzzbox) for an absolute beginner who has never laid a bead? I don't want to box in frames or anything, just build little brackets and stuff, and maybe do a rust patch or two on sheet metal. Maybe a roof rack.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
If that is the one Ozmiander has, I was pleasantly surprised by it. Third or fourth time stick welding ever and I laid some fairly pretty beads with 1/16" 6011 or 6013 (I forget which) doing lap joints on mild steel plate.

Of course, I've got a couple years of occasional MIG+fluxcore practice at this point.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

sbyers77 posted:

Yep, I may spend a bit too much time on Garage Journal... The black are terrible and the red are top notch, considered just a step low then the higher end Mac/Strap-on/Matco/ect.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
I have had the four drawer black HF tool box and it hasn't done anything horrible yet. Its overloaded with tools and still moves around a shop great. the drawers are smooth. A good way to spend 100$. The multiple level flat black box is poo poo though. Ive seen them break in the store before.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

So there's this little tool shop near where I live (AAA Wholesale Tool and Supply) where I went about 7 years ago to get a one off socket that I needed (broke college student, didn't want to buy a whole set).

I remember the guy saying something like "Dude, you should just go buy a whole set - this one socket is like $25 and it's probably worth it to have the others unless you really need THIS socket". I didn't get it at the time - I bought the socket, was happy I'd saved like $15 (even if I had 11 less sockets), didn't think much of why that socket was $25.

Years later, I've learned what Proto tools are, and I'm now glad I have it. And now that I have a jeep, and there's ONE GOD drat SET OF BOLTS that's 12point / 13mm, I ran back there to get another one-off socket. Proto, $13, pretty sure it'll never break. And I'll have a lot less trouble with those bolts because I can take them off with a 1/2" instead of 3/8".

Anyway, it was a tool related thing I was thinking about, thought I'd share it. I wholeheartedly recommend that shop to anyone in the LA area who needs specialty tools.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Jonny 290 posted:

Any thoughts on the Harbor Freight 80 amp inverter welder (not the $79 buzzbox) for an absolute beginner who has never laid a bead? I don't want to box in frames or anything, just build little brackets and stuff, and maybe do a rust patch or two on sheet metal. Maybe a roof rack.

Inverter welders are much nicer for stick welding than buzzboxes, much better to learn on in my opinion. I dont have any experience with the Harbor Freight one (we had a nice one in my old job) but the electronics arent that complicated so i cant see a cheap one being too bad, maybe just a worse duty cycle.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

echomadman posted:

Inverter welders are much nicer for stick welding than buzzboxes, much better to learn on in my opinion. I dont have any experience with the Harbor Freight one (we had a nice one in my old job) but the electronics arent that complicated so i cant see a cheap one being too bad, maybe just a worse duty cycle.

So for someone's first stick welder it would be better to get an Inverter Welder? Im getting one soon I just am having a hard time deciding which one. Im really tempted by the HF model because its affordable and if I break it I wont feel as bad. I just need something to learn and do an exhaust or some mild fabrication.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

SouthsideSaint posted:

So for someone's first stick welder it would be better to get an Inverter Welder? Im getting one soon I just am having a hard time deciding which one. Im really tempted by the HF model because its affordable and if I break it I wont feel as bad. I just need something to learn and do an exhaust or some mild fabrication.

Just get it. They work well enough for the job, the duty cycle is a little lighter than most, but its getting pretty good reviews.

This guy on youtube goes over it. Again, its no pro machine, but for light usage it works well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tyuaisi2vvI

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Well now I just need to wait for a good sale. Will 6013 rods be good for all the basics and learning. I'm not going to be doing any structural or life saving welds. Just exhaust maybe some super small fab work.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

6013 is a good rod. You'll be able to run 7014 and 7018 AC as well which are also both great rods. Lots of inverter welders can't run 6010 or 6011 rods, which is a shame but it's not the end of the world. You'll need to upgrade someday if you want to learn those, which are whip and pause rods. Everything else mentioned are just plain old drag rods (unless you're welding verticals).

7014 would work fairly well with exhaust work too.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SouthsideSaint posted:

Well now I just need to wait for a good sale. Will 6013 rods be good for all the basics and learning. I'm not going to be doing any structural or life saving welds. Just exhaust maybe some super small fab work.

There is a 25% off coupon until the end of november. You may find better on sale eventually, but that's something and better than the normal 20%.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

the spyder posted:

I bought this last year and it's the very best thing ever. My advice to you is to make best friends with at least one employee at HF. My father and I are known faces in our local store and I was able to flirt my way into using the 20% off coupon on the already low sale price. Now I just need to get one of the expansion cabinets so I can secure my jack and jack stands.

Medicinal Penguin
May 19, 2006
This works with a lot of stores. My dad has dropped so much money at the local used tool store over the last 20 years, I can get a pretty good discount just by mentioning him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Medicinal Penguin posted:

This works with a lot of stores. My dad has dropped so much money at the local used tool store over the last 20 years, I can get a pretty good discount just by mentioning him.

One of the female clerks is middle aged and has a huge crush on me. I may have flirted my way into numerous cheaper tools in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
I have never had to flirt with the ladies at my harbor freight...Theres one or two who look like they came from the trailer park in there V6 trans am. But those ladies love my sons when I go with them. They always get me the hook up and walk out with some free stuff. I have so many of those cheap head lamps and screwdriver sets.... But I have a friend that's on there inside track club and he said he gets a good discount plus the coupons. So I am probably going that route. And I will post many pictures of my horrible welds for everyone to laugh and mock.