Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Farecoal posted:

I like the Borg as a scary, almost unstoppable monolithic force, Voyager already ruined them enough.

The Borg can still be scary to us. I just think it would be awesome to see an episode of them assimilating a remote colony or something, and then the Jem'Hadar coming along and handing their asses to them. poo poo, you could even have a twist ending where the Borg adapt and the Vorta (or the Sisko) has to bombard the planet from orbit before the assimilated Jem'Hadar overrun the universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Gau posted:

Showing that Jem'Hadar are immune to nanotech would have been loving badass. Borg drones being smashed to bits as none of their methods function, their broken half-machine faces still muttering "resistance...is...futile...you...will...be............."

Edit: Dominion SOP would be to glass any planet that had a Borg infestation.

If the Borg did show up, I think I'd have preferred it be something more like To the Death, with a Federation-Dominion team up of some kind that ends up stalling them for awhile. Perhaps the Dominion has never seen them before, and this could be what stopped the Dominion offensive rather than the Deus Ex Machina at the wormhole. The Dominion simply CAN'T send enough ships to the Alpha Quadrant due to a Borg incursion at the Gamma-Delta quadrant border.

Of course this is a terrible idea I threw together in a few minutes. If the DS9 writers couldn't come up with a good vehicle for the Borg, then it was for the best.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gau posted:

The Borg can still be scary to us. I just think it would be awesome to see an episode of them assimilating a remote colony or something, and then the Jem'Hadar coming along and handing their asses to them. poo poo, you could even have a twist ending where the Borg adapt and the Vorta (or the Sisko) has to bombard the planet from orbit before the assimilated Jem'Hadar overrun the universe.

The problem is that the Dominion was never shown to even be in the same ballpark as the Borg. They were slightly in advance of the Federation and had significantly more military resources at their disposal. The Borg were an order of magnitude more advanced and only ever beaten with hail mary tricks.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
When you have a mysterious scary-as-loving enemy there's really nothing you can do to stop them from getting less scary and less interesting every time they were featured. Moore was right not to show them in DS9.

Theme song chat comes up in every thread (so does everything else, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that), and I never understand it. When was the last time any of you watched the full opening credits of a star trek episode? Hell, I don't even remember what Faith of the Heart sounds like past the first 5 seconds, I think I listened to the whole thing all of twice.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Enjoy this thing I made

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Typical posted:

Enjoy this thing I made

Needs command colors and a beard. Possibly a chair to unconventionally sit in.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

counterfeitsaint posted:

Theme song chat comes up in every thread (so does everything else, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that), and I never understand it. When was the last time any of you watched the full opening credits of a star trek episode? Hell, I don't even remember what Faith of the Heart sounds like past the first 5 seconds, I think I listened to the whole thing all of twice.

I'm far from the biggest Trek nerd around these parts but if I'm gonna watch some DS9 then I'm gonna watch the full opening credits because that intro music owns.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

worf shes prettier than grilka and shes hitting on you stop pining for grilka let her go god drat it worf shes pretty and wants klingon dong now shes quoting klingon romance novels at you god gently caress you stupid ridged bastard argh

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Uh, I just watched "A Night in Sickbay" for the first time, and while it definitely wasn't in my top ten (even for the season), there are much worse episodes in Enterprise. I mean, "Precious Cargo" is just a few episodes later, and it's at least twice as much dreck as "A Night in Sickbay."

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I just started Enterprise because despite what I said I just can't keep on with Voyager, I am trying my loving hardest but I get one episode through (just watched Course: Oblivion, aka WHY ARE YOU EVEN DOING THIS YOU MOTHERFUCKS) and have to stop and massage away my stress headache.

Enterprise loving owns. The journey through mankind's voyage of exploration from sailships to Zefram Cochrane's goddamn first warp ship taking off makes me have little giddy chills and I'm kind of a history nerd so watching future-history is super super fun and I just want to hang out on that ship because three episodes in and I'm already a giant fan of every character and everything about this show. I can't wait for it to either break my heart with a string of bad episodes or the show just coming to an end prematurely :allears:

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus

Whalley posted:

I just started Enterprise because despite what I said I just can't keep on with Voyager, I am trying my loving hardest but I get one episode through (just watched Course: Oblivion, aka WHY ARE YOU EVEN DOING THIS YOU MOTHERFUCKS) and have to stop and massage away my stress headache.

Enterprise loving owns. The journey through mankind's voyage of exploration from sailships to Zefram Cochrane's goddamn first warp ship taking off makes me have little giddy chills and I'm kind of a history nerd so watching future-history is super super fun and I just want to hang out on that ship because three episodes in and I'm already a giant fan of every character and everything about this show. I can't wait for it to either break my heart with a string of bad episodes or the show just coming to an end prematurely :allears:

Enterprise had awful timing. I keep saying this but you totally have to remember that Archer isn't a seasoned captain, a diplomat, or a soldier. He's a captain America pretty boy who had connections. He's an arrogant son of a bitch. And while we initially side with him, his arc over the first two seasons really changes the character.

If they'd had more time to separate Enterprise from the starship captains carefully trained and groomed for the position (Picard, Sisko, and--yes--Janeway) his arc makes WAY more sense.

On the subject of atmosphere chat, I didn't mean landing. I believe every hero ship has--at one point or another--chased a ship into the atmosphere of a gas giant or ended up in the atmosphere of a planet (even in TOS).

And, finally, having seen that voyager/runabout study model in person, it had way more awesome angles than that link shows and would have made a great hero ship with just a few tweaks.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Great_Gerbil posted:

Enterprise had awful timing. I keep saying this but you totally have to remember that Archer isn't a seasoned captain, a diplomat, or a soldier. He's a captain America pretty boy who had connections. He's an arrogant son of a bitch. And while we initially side with him, his arc over the first two seasons really changes the character.

Just as Voyager gets marginally better when you watch it seeing Janeway as having suffered a psychotic episode, Enterprise gets better when you view Archer and Trip as incompetents who got their positions through massive corruption and nepotism and everyone else on the ship is constantly scrambling to cover up after their idiocy.

star trek
Apr 7, 2009

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Gau posted:

Uh, I just watched "A Night in Sickbay" for the first time, and while it definitely wasn't in my top ten (even for the season), there are much worse episodes in Enterprise. I mean, "Precious Cargo" is just a few episodes later, and it's at least twice as much dreck as "A Night in Sickbay."

Precious Cargo has always been really bad, but in a way where all I can do is love it because it's this completely loving weird Star Wars episode out of nowhere.

The best bad episodes are the ones which know they're complete poo poo.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Alchenar posted:

Just as Voyager gets marginally better when you watch it seeing Janeway as having suffered a psychotic episode, Enterprise gets better when you view Archer and Trip as incompetents who got their positions through massive corruption and nepotism and everyone else on the ship is constantly scrambling to cover up after their idiocy.
I'm not trying to make a joke here but isn't this like, literally exactly what the show implies? I really like Archer and Trip as characters but I really feel like the show so far is all but jamming it down our throats "these two probably shouldn't be out here, everyone else gets so stressed just being around them." It's fantastic fun.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Whalley posted:

I'm not trying to make a joke here but isn't this like, literally exactly what the show implies? I really like Archer and Trip as characters but I really feel like the show so far is all but jamming it down our throats "these two probably shouldn't be out here, everyone else gets so stressed just being around them." It's fantastic fun.

The show tries to imply that everyone isn't really ready for what's out there. But what it actually comes across as is that it isn't humanity as a whole that's not ready, it's just that they just put two idiots in the most significant positions. Within the show Archer gets made out to be a hero.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Good thing Trip and Archer didn't originally hook up while breaking a bunch of rules and nearly dying :v:

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

kelvron posted:

I'm loving the DS9 Borg show ideas, and it makes me wish that Sisko was captaining the Defiant in First Contact, just so we'd have a forgiveness scene with Picard. I think it could've been a good moment of Sisko going "I finally forgive you" and Picard going "I still haven't forgiven myself". Or maybe I just want to see Avery Brooks on the big screen.
The forgiveness scene with Picard took place at the end of The Emissary. Sisko was still traumatized; holding onto his anger and grief and Picard was just the focus of that anger.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Gau posted:

Totally agree. Hell, Precious Cargo is right up there with the worst of the franchise as a whole - Shades of Gray, Profit and Lace, Miri, Spirit Folk - and probably takes my vote for the worst episode of the series, if only because I can never quite decide how to handle the finale.

Marauders comes to mind as another "worst of" candidate, not necessarily because it was bad, but it was just so impossibly dull, which I didn't think was possible considering that it was a take on old Kurosawa movies. Even worse however was Stigma, which approached its heavy-handed social allegory with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer to the head. Which I suppose is a staple of Star Trek's message episodes going all the way back to Let This Be Your Last Battlefield, but in those days the sledgehammer approach was almost necessary. It's almost physically painful to sit through an episode like Stigma now, or even when it aired in 2003, knowing how far storytelling on television has come since the 60s.

A Night in Sickbay was bad, but it was bad in the MST3K sense, much like Sub Rosa or Threshold. Episodes like these are at least good for a laugh and a few beers, but more importantly we got to see Phlox chase a bat. I call that a win.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

It's too bad Porthos won't live! But then again, who does?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Alchenar posted:

The show tries to imply that everyone isn't really ready for what's out there. But what it actually comes across as is that it isn't humanity as a whole that's not ready, it's just that they just put two idiots in the most significant positions. Within the show Archer gets made out to be a hero.

Haha yes, throughout the whole series they keep telling us how awesome Archer and Trip are but in reality they're shown to be a couple of stubborn, irritating buffoons derping their way through Voyager episodes most of the time. I know they're supposed to be our first spacemen and everything but they're just usually so bad at it I can't take them seriously.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I just finished DS 9 and going back through TNG but going to watch it with my GF. I only watched a handful of eps but is there a list of episodes to only watch? I don't want to sit through any of the sexist or racist eps.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I think "Faith of the Heart" worked pretty well as a leadin and I'm not even a big fan of either kind of music (country OR western). It's a well meaning hick song for our well meaning hick planet.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

I don't remember hating that episode, but I guess I blocked out the weird ritual thing and the Kreetassans altogether. It's funny how the mind works.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

rear end in a top hat Kreetassan Ambassador is the same dude playing Archer's boss, so for a while Archer just can't stop getting hosed over by Vaughn Armstrong. It's pretty great.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Gau posted:

The Borg can still be scary to us.

You have to remember that a lot of monsters and races are limited by the special effects budget.
For example the Borg at the start were virtually just guys in black body suits with bits of grey blocks stuck to them and a cut up hoover tube sticking out of places.

With budgets these days, and CGI advances, you could make them loving Giger Alien scary.
Have little kid and baby borgs scuttling along with 3 or 5 limbs would be a good start, more organic pieces of machinary visible, etc.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Thing-Founders and Giger-Borg team up because it is inevitable yet erotic; Spot reveals critical weakness by biting off Founder of Nine's ding dong

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

sonatinas posted:

I don't want to sit through any of the sexist or racist eps.

Haha, you're pretty much going to have avoid any episode with Deanna. I mean her whole character concept is a woman with special feely powers who's a little hung up on Riker and seems to be a target for mind-rape.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Bicyclops posted:

Haha, you're pretty much going to have avoid any episode with Deanna. I mean her whole character concept is a woman with special feely powers who's a little hung up on Riker and seems to be a target for mind-rape.

Come on, she doesn't get mind-raped that often... just like, five or six times... and once for real by an energy being. :eng99:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

She's fine in seasons 6 and 7 at least. Or at least such is my memory. I recall Sirtis even said "MYSTERIOUSLY once they put her in a Science uniform they were 'OH YEAH we can think of all kinds of things for her to do!'"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Nessus posted:

She's fine in seasons 6 and 7 at least. Or at least such is my memory. I recall Sirtis even said "MYSTERIOUSLY once they put her in a Science uniform they were 'OH YEAH we can think of all kinds of things for her to do!'"

They do eventually kind of realize "Hey gee, maybe we can have some episodes about her that don't revolve around her mom trying to get her a husband or some sort of lover's quarrel." I;m not sure they really ever figured out what to do with Dr. Crusher, though.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Bicyclops posted:

Frakes and Sirtis have since said they deliberately played their characters as if they were still in a relationship.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've been watching through Bones and every single time Sweets is on screen and talking I start thinking "this is how Troi should have used"

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
Enterprise failed for two reasons IMO

1. Temporal cold war, Xindi poo poo.
2. Rick Berman

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
Never watched enterprise beyond the first episode. Possibly because I know I'll see a story arc about something called a"temporal cold war." I literally cannot fathom that being watchable. That's like some dialogue on big bang theory that someone made up to show that the main characters are irredeemably huge nerds.

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus

Skeesix posted:

Never watched enterprise beyond the first episode. Possibly because I know I'll see a story arc about something called a"temporal cold war." I literally cannot fathom that being watchable. That's like some dialogue on big bang theory that someone made up to show that the main characters are irredeemably huge nerds.

It's actually a pretty inevitable product of what's been made of time travel in Star Trek and it's not irredeemably lovely.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

The idea of a bunch of factions from different points in the future fighting proxy wars in various important points of history, that's actually really loving cool. Having one of those battlegrounds be the years leading into the formation of the Federation, that's also really loving cool. I don't think Enterprise even did a bad job of it, either.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Maybe I'm a sucker for courtroom episodes, but I really enjoyed "Tribunal." Sure it was pretty much a given that O'Brien was gonna get off, but the twisted take on justice the Cardassians had was a lot of fun to watch. Colm Meaney was great as usual and his councilor put in a hilarious performance. Only 13 more episodes of DS9 before I have to start watching Voyager, gonna relish every second of it.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Whalley posted:

I tried to watch Voyager a few months ago but couldn't. I think the biggest problem is actually the lack of sex - in the abstract, the utter absence of a libidinal economy, of desire and complexes and whatnot. They threw in Seven of Nine because they somehow felt that there was a need for sexuality in that show, but didn't want to actually create relationships between characters, so instead they just cast someone who looked sexy rather than acted that way. Such a boorishly phallic, pointless show. It's really weird to think that something like that was able to get prime time slots and whatnot, but I'm sure that's been discussed a hundred times. The only interesting episode was that time warp planet.

DS9 was all about fuckin'. Most characters have a visible struggle with how they relate to the world.

In Enterprise the sex was there but didn't feel genuine. There was no logical reason for T'Pol and Tucker to do it other than the massages, but there was no believable reason for them to desire each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
Star Trek: DS9 was all about fuckin'

• Locked thread