Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Jan posted:

Just pulled the 4.4 OTA update on my Nexus 4 without unrooting. It rebooted into CWM Recovery and installed normally, but I lost root after that. After rebooting into recovery, it seems like it had reverted to stock recovery.

So I plugged the phone in fastboot mode again, reflashed CWM Recovery, reinstalled the Superuser zip and that seems to be holding up.

I did try only reflashing CWM Recovery, but it just reverted itself to stock again afterwards. I'm assuming the Superuser install script has an extra necessary step.

Sounds reasonable enough. Thanks! I'm just gonna go for it and see what happens. Worst case I can update my recovery while I'm at it.

Edit: Welp, should have trusted my instincts. Now I'm stuck at the boot animation. Awesome. drat you, set_metadata_recursive!

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Nov 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
Updating from 4.3 to 4.4 OTA didn't work because of the edits I made to system files, but I just downloaded the image source direct from Google and extracted/flashed just the bootloader, boot image, system image, and then cleared cache from fastboot. The nice thing though is that all I had to do was reroot, apparently LTE and in-call voice works now without having to make changes to files in /system. The APN setup now has fast.t-mobile.com as default in 4.4.

Also, you can sideload the new Google Now integrated launcher on non Nexus 5 devices.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Has anyone been able to update to 4.3 on a Sprint Note 2?

Saliciouscrumb
Jan 15, 2002
My Nexus 5 is arriving next week and I want to unlock and root it. Will root and unlocked bootloader still allow me to get OTA updates from Google? What about custom recoveries? I think that is needed if I want a custom ROM. Can I get OTA updates after replacing the recovery?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Saliciouscrumb posted:

My Nexus 5 is arriving next week and I want to unlock and root it. Will root and unlocked bootloader still allow me to get OTA updates from Google? What about custom recoveries? I think that is needed if I want a custom ROM. Can I get OTA updates after replacing the recovery?
An unlocked bootloader doesn't affect OTAs at all. To root you'll need the custom recovery to flash the superuser zip. This will also not affect your ability to flash OTAs but you would have to flash it manually and you'll lose root and the recovery when you do (easily redone).

Saliciouscrumb
Jan 15, 2002

LastInLine posted:

An unlocked bootloader doesn't affect OTAs at all. To root you'll need the custom recovery to flash the superuser zip. This will also not affect your ability to flash OTAs but you would have to flash it manually and you'll lose root and the recovery when you do (easily redone).

So to keep the ability to get automatic OTAs I should just unlock the bootloader and hold off on root, which needs a custom recovery? Right now I don't see the need to get ROMs this early in the Nexus 5's life cycle.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Saliciouscrumb posted:

So to keep the ability to get automatic OTAs I should just unlock the bootloader and hold off on root, which needs a custom recovery? Right now I don't see the need to get ROMs this early in the Nexus 5's life cycle.
OTAs aren't really "automatic" on the stock recovery. You hit it and boots to recovery and begins flashing. If you had a custom recovery it would boot to recovery and stay there but there's nothing stopping you from then hitting "flash zip from SD", navigating to it, and starting the update. It's an extra five seconds and three button presses.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You can also root and then put the stock recovery back, if you want. then the OTAs will run normally. But you'll still (usually) lose root after running an OTA so I don't really see the benefit.

Flashing OTAs (or even entire builds) is so trivial on a Nexus that you just don't really need to worry about this stuff. I haven't run an OTA for years, I just grab the entire image from here and fastboot update over the top of the previous build. Takes like two minutes and you don't have to sit around waiting for your phone to be chosen for the OTA.

beyonder
Jun 23, 2007
Beyond hardcore.
Is there a way to root Galaxy S3 LTE without losing installed apps and so on? Googled a lot and didnt find a definitive answer.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LastInLine posted:

If you had a custom recovery it would boot to recovery and stay there but there's nothing stopping you from then hitting "flash zip from SD", navigating to it, and starting the update. It's an extra five seconds and three button presses.

I don't know about CWM but TWRP is smart enough to recognize the OTA and flash it automatically. I flashed that recent 4.4 bug fix without having to touch anything, but then I lost TWRP.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I don't know about CWM but TWRP is smart enough to recognize the OTA and flash it automatically. I flashed that recent 4.4 bug fix without having to touch anything, but then I lost TWRP.
I don't have much experience with TWRP so that's good to know. Nothing I hate more than touch in the recovery.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Edit: I was apparently very wrong!

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Nov 25, 2013

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

SalTheBard posted:

The act of rooting your phone doesn't wipe it. Installing custom ROMs is where you would lose apps. If your phone is rooted though apps like Titanium and Helium will back up your phone

that's not entirely true. unlocking the boot loader will erase the phone and that's the first step in rooting.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LastInLine posted:

I don't have much experience with TWRP so that's good to know. Nothing I hate more than touch in the recovery.

You prefer pushing buttons over touching the screen?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

You prefer pushing buttons over touching the screen?
Yes, I find it too easy to select the wrong option on a touchscreen. Plus TWRP looks like a motherboard's BIOS screen so really anything else is what I'm going to use so it all works out.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I love having the touch version of a recovery, because when I used CWM, it almost always moved two to four items at a time when I hit a volume key instead of just one. Infuriating.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

hooah posted:

I love having the touch version of a recovery, because when I used CWM, it almost always moved two to four items at a time when I hit a volume key instead of just one. Infuriating.

Yeah touch recovery is about a hundred times faster to do anything.

beyonder
Jun 23, 2007
Beyond hardcore.

r0ck0 posted:

that's not entirely true. unlocking the boot loader will erase the phone and that's the first step in rooting.

Came upon this method and boom. Rooted, apps and data are intact. Only glitch was language setting changing to english but that was rectified in about five seconds. Oh and the phone that I rooted is SGS3 LTE running 4.1.2.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

beyonder posted:

Came upon this method and boom. Rooted, apps and data are intact. Only glitch was language setting changing to english but that was rectified in about five seconds. Oh and the phone that I rooted is SGS3 LTE running 4.1.2.

Thats pretty sweet. whats the link without tweeting or liking?

beyonder
Jun 23, 2007
Beyond hardcore.

r0ck0 posted:

Thats pretty sweet. whats the link without tweeting or liking?

Woops.

Framaroot-1.6.1.apk
Framaroot-1.6.0.apk
Framaroot-1.5.3.apk
Framaroot-1.5.2.apk
Framaroot-1.5.1.apk

Pick one, 1.6.1 did the trick for me. You'll have to enable installing apps from untrusted sources to install Framaroot.

Edit: as stated on the original site, this method does not work for 4.3 or any phone with patches for those vulnerabilities.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
Does anyone have MIUI on a GSM Galaxy Nexus? I loaded it up and apparently it bootloops every time you connect to an unsecured wifi network. Makes going to Starbucks a pain.

I can provide more details if anyone has seen a similar issue. Googling it hasn't turned up any leads.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Is there a decent build of 4.4 out for HTC One yet?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

WastedJoker posted:

Besides the official one?

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

WastedJoker posted:

Sense or GPe? For the GPe, if you can't install the OTA (or can't wait), bigxie has a build he published yesterday that's running fine for me.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

LastInLine posted:

Besides the official one?

I'd only seen a system dump...

inpheaux posted:

Sense or GPe? For the GPe, if you can't install the OTA (or can't wait), bigxie has a build he published yesterday that's running fine for me.

GPe.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Question : Is there anyone here with an S4 on AT&T , with the dreaded MF3 firmware who has rooted, safestrapped, and all that nonsense, who has installed a custom rom (more specifically, a Google Play Edition style 4.2.2 rom) to the Stock rom slot? There's a couple of people on XDA who've claimed to have done it successfully, but they disappear whenever anyone asks any questions about it.

I want to just run the play edition rom, but the drawbacks of running in a rom slot (storage issues, no bluetooth input supported) are deal breakers for me. I don't care about trying any other roms or being able to recover. I'll flash it back in Odin if poo poo goes awry.

I was on MF3 with SS and all that, but I then flashed back to bone stock, re-rooted, sideloaded the 4.3 update that was later pulled by Samsung/ATT(kept root with SuperSU pro). I called AT&T and reported a bunch of the issues 4.3 people were having and now they're sending me another 4.2.2 phone soon.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Just received my Nexus 5, unlocked bootloader, rooted, installed Cataclysm rom and I keep getting an insufficient space error on Titanium Backup (which states the internal has over 20 GB free)

First thing I attempted was fix permissions in TWRP, I've tried changing the backup folder back and forth between /sdcard/, /storage/emulated, /storage/legacy, etc (my TitaniumBackup folder in all of these paths say folder is not writable), reinstalled SuperSU.

These have resolved the issue according to other responses in XDA, and I'm not sure what else to try. At this point, I'm contemplating making a nandroid backup, full wipe, reinstall, and running the update.zip I made from my Nexus 4. What am I missing?

air- fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 27, 2013

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

air- posted:

Just received my Nexus 5, unlocked bootloader, rooted, installed Cataclysm rom and I keep getting an insufficient space error on Titanium Backup (which states the internal has over 20 GB free)

First thing I attempted was fix permissions in TWRP, I've tried changing the backup folder back and forth between /sdcard/, /storage/emulated, /storage/legacy, etc (my TitaniumBackup folder in all of these paths say folder is not writable), reinstalled SuperSU.

These have resolved the issue according to other responses in XDA, and I'm not sure what else to try. At this point, I'm contemplating making a nandroid backup, full wipe, reinstall, and running the update.zip I made from my Nexus 4. What am I missing?
Fixing permissions never does anything so that wouldn't work but changing the backup folder location should. I've had the same problem and solved it that way.

Given that it's saying the folder is not writable I'm certain it's a root issue and specifically I think you have an out of date binary. You say you've reinstalled SuperSU but are you sure you have the latest binary?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Fixing permissions never does anything so that wouldn't work but changing the backup folder location should. I've had the same problem and solved it that way.

Given that it's saying the folder is not writable I'm certain it's a root issue and specifically I think you have an out of date binary. You say you've reinstalled SuperSU but are you sure you have the latest binary?

IIRC, on that process - I use the removal/cleanup option in SuperSU, reboot, download from Play store, then I'm prompted to install the latest binary.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

air- posted:

IIRC, on that process - I use the removal/cleanup option in SuperSU, reboot, download from Play store, then I'm prompted to install the latest binary.
As far as I know, yes. I have more experience with Koush's Superuser.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

LastInLine posted:

As far as I know, yes. I have more experience with Koush's Superuser.

I double checked I have the latest binary on SuperSu.

And screenshots:

Grabbed the .zip to flash in recovery and will try that next.

e: The obvious move took care of the issue. I just created a new folder within /sdcard/ :downs:

air- fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 27, 2013

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I wish I understood why that worked but I'm glad your problem is fixed.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Yeah I'm pretty baffled as well. I had a similar problem on the Nexus 4 and it was fixed by changing from emulated to legacy. I adb pushed my Titanium Backup folder which was on my Nexus 4, and I actually also noticed other folders/files which I've pushed via adb aren't able to be deleted. In retrospect, I actually should have flashed an update.zip based on my N4 backups to begin with and made a fresh backup folder.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I updated my Galaxy Nexus (the Verizon/LTE model) to CM 10.2 and the radio performance is terrible. I rarely get more than one bar and data connections disappear. Is there a fix for this somewhere?

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Has anyone installed the 10.2 RC1 for the S3 yet? I just got the update notice on my phone the other day. Curious if anyone has had any time to get an opinion of it.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad

rotaryfun posted:

Has anyone installed the 10.2 RC1 for the S3 yet? I just got the update notice on my phone the other day. Curious if anyone has had any time to get an opinion of it.

It's been pretty terrible for me. GPS fails to lock on half the time and I've had tons of random reboots and crashes for the camera.

Speaking of which, what's the proper way to restore a nandroid backup? I made one prior to updating to 10.2 but want to roll back. Do I wipe system & data first and then restore or is there a better method?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

UncleGuito posted:

It's been pretty terrible for me. GPS fails to lock on half the time and I've had tons of random reboots and crashes for the camera.

Speaking of which, what's the proper way to restore a nandroid backup? I made one prior to updating to 10.2 but want to roll back. Do I wipe system & data first and then restore or is there a better method?

Nandroid will overwrite all the partitions so you don't have to wipe.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
So here's a question. I have unlimited data on T-Mobile but only 2.5 GB for the mobile hotspot...

Is there a root-only app that lets me get around this limitation? Using the android phone's data, but it really knowing it's actually being used as a hotspot?

Using a Nexus 5.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Benjamin Black posted:

So here's a question. I have unlimited data on T-Mobile but only 2.5 GB for the mobile hotspot...

Is there a root-only app that lets me get around this limitation? Using the android phone's data, but it really knowing it's actually being used as a hotspot?

Using a Nexus 5.

If you're not using a carrier-branded ROM, which I don't think is a thing on Nexus GSM devices, I'm pretty sure nothing reports to the carrier.

I can say for sure that as far as my account page shows my data usage today is just few bursts of "Internet Access", while I was streaming Pandora on my phone and simultaneously browsing on my tethered laptop. At least on CM10.2 for SGS4 there appears to be no differentiation, and I don't think CM makes any notable changes to AOSP tethering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

wolrah posted:

If you're not using a carrier-branded ROM, which I don't think is a thing on Nexus GSM devices, I'm pretty sure nothing reports to the carrier.

I can say for sure that as far as my account page shows my data usage today is just few bursts of "Internet Access", while I was streaming Pandora on my phone and simultaneously browsing on my tethered laptop. At least on CM10.2 for SGS4 there appears to be no differentiation, and I don't think CM makes any notable changes to AOSP tethering.
Not true anymore. Under KitKiat tethering is properly reported to the carrier.