Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I hope this leads to Reese breaking into the FBI building to get at Quinn.

I never get tired of Reese breaking into government buildings to gently caress people up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Just watched the episode again. Fusco's crazy face (and for a moment afterwards) reminds me of an episode of The IT Crowd where Roy goes on a date with an ex and she ends up looking like the joker because of her makeup/crying.

I was thinking Anton Chigurh from No Country for Old Men.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I thought they might get rid of Carter. I think the biggest negative is that she was one of the best female characters and actresses on a show currently running. The kiss with Reese was totally not sexual in my mind; it was more like he'd lost sight of everything good in the world and she was the proverbial light in the darkness.

I will also echo sentiments that I wish they hadn't released that someone would die in the promos. Normally I don't want them but last week I was so stoked for this week I youtubed it and got it spoiled. The death still would have been cheap but I like that it comes in the middle of the season so it's not like we have to wait a year for the resolution.

My other theory on who was going to die was that Harold was going to release Root, then kill her after she helps him and he sees how much better the machine works with her. I think that angle could still happen later on. Harold getting jealous/protective of the machine and eventually forcing Reese to turn on Harold could be a really interesting plotline. I'm also very curious to see if they revisit the idea that there were guys before Reese.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Generic American posted:

It's also important to note that the Machine isn't psychic. Most of its predictions come from using information and interactions to estimate when something might be imminent. Unless Simmons stopped to call one of his buddies about it, the Machine really had no way to know what he intended to do beyond what it already gave to Finch regarding Reese. In this case, all it would have to work with would be video feeds from cameras showing that Simmons was walking vaguely in their direction, after it had already relayed Reese's number to Finch earlier. In a vacuum, I've always assumed the Machine is pretty much worthless. With how Simmons went about it, he gave no real signs of premeditation or intent until the last minute.

This was how I thought of it too. Simmons doesn't even have to change his behaviour to go from just a regular day to killing someone. A normal person would have to do something like get a weapon which would set off alarms for the machine.

I'm sure Finch will feel guilty about Carter. Since his relationship with the Machine is just getting the numbers, they couldn't do something like ask the machine to find Simmons for them before he even had a chance to get the drop on them.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Fusco having to say goodbye to his kid: :cry:
Shaw loving things up for HR: :toot: :swoon:
Fusco's comeback: :black101:
The last minute: :smithicide:

I don't think I have ever cheered at my TV as much as I did during the scene leading up to this:

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

mcbexx posted:

I don't think I have ever cheered at my TV as much as I did during the scene leading up to this:

I've never actually worried about the survival of an actor before, but christ it looked like Kevin Chapman was actually murdering this guy.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Kevin Chapman did a great Anton Chigur impression at the end. You even got to see the guys boots leaving streaks on the floor as he was strangled.

I saw Shaw saving the kid a mile off, but I think we all did. I was expecting Reese or even Finch to get the bullet at the end. I could see Root forcibly being made to take over the irrelevant list by the machine. Cutting her off unless she helped.

I wonder if next weeks number will be Simmons's. And then we'll maybe get some of team irrelevant trying to stop Reese from killing him.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I wonder if they'll play with the impact of a significant amount (did they ever specify?) of the NYPD being corrupt and the subsequent mistrials unleashing tons of criminals back out on less well patrolled streets.

mmtt
May 8, 2009
Godspeed Taraji P. Henson. Carter was one hell of a female character and you played the part well.

A very good episode eventhough Carter's death came out of nowhere. It cheapened it a bit but the show needed a major character to die at some point.

stoops
Jun 11, 2001

SpookyLizard posted:

I wonder if next weeks number will be Simmons's. And then we'll maybe get some of team irrelevant trying to stop Reese from killing him.

Spoilers on next number:
http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/11/20/person-interest-jonathan-nolan-greg-plageman-carter-death/

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
My only real complaint is that just when it looked like Fusco was about to die, they cut to a commercial or something like that, and it was clear that they weren't going to kill him after that, because the tone had completely changed.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

http://tvline.com/2013/11/20/person-of-interest-season-3-why-carter-was-killed-off/

drat, that kiss wasn't scripted.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Holy poo poo.

It sounds like the creators had some of the same misgivings people in this thread did about that moment. Pretty interesting that they kept it in.

I think it worked.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I thought it was an interesting moment because I didn't really get a Mulder/Scully quasi-romance feel from it. Knowing it was unscripted makes it work more.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

PaybackJack posted:

My other theory on who was going to die was that Harold was going to release Root, then kill her after she helps him and he sees how much better the machine works with her. I think that angle could still happen later on. Harold getting jealous/protective of the machine and eventually forcing Reese to turn on Harold could be a really interesting plotline. I'm also very curious to see if they revisit the idea that there were guys before Reese.

I think it's a definite possibility that this might make Finch want to have a different sort of relationship with the Machine in order to better help save people, but to be honest I've never really felt like Finch would be jealous over the Machine...if anything I've always thought that part of the reason Finch keeps it as impersonal and arms-length as he does is because deep down part of him resents it.

What happens after Finch turns the Machine on and gives it to the government? His best friend is killed in an attack that leaves Finch crippled, he has to go on the run and leave his fiancee behind, he loses every chance at having a normal life ever again...in a way the Machine is Finch's "child" and I don't think he outright hates it, but I can't imagine that he doesn't on some level regret ever having made it regardless of the good it's done for others. Inviting it even deeper into your life seems like it's just asking for trouble, and I'm waiting to see if Root gets burned by that.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.
I never got the impression Finch was jealous, more that he was disconcerted that the machine was directly communicating with someone, especially with that person being Root.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Also did anyone get an Once Upon A Time In America feeling from the ending? With the phone?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Taraji P Henson is one of the guests on Letterman tonight, for what I'm guessing will be a spoiler-heavy interview.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

MrFlibble posted:

The actual line was "It made it no big deal to break my thumb" or something close to that. The point was that to escape handcuffs he needed every finger and his thumb broken and it was a lot easier to break his thumb than to break all of his fingers AND his thumb,

Well actually the point was just that Carter ( :( ) doesn't have the monopoly on being bad rear end.

Okay, this makes sense to me, as do the comments about the pain. I was just thinking that, logistically it would be hard to break your thumb if your fingers were broken. I guess not.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

More interviews with Taraji:

http://tvline.com/2013/11/21/person-of-interest-taraji-p-henson-leaving-carter-dies/

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/11/21/taraji-p-henson-talks-on-this-weeks-big-person-of-interest-and-carters-fate

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Kegslayer posted:

The Machine clearly wanted to save Reese and Carter but was unable to do so under the current relationship it has with Finch.

I loved that moment with Root. One second she's saying, "You can trust me!" then the next she's being manipulative saying things like, "Sorry for your loss."

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Since I've been catching up (and am now caught up), I was not spoilered about the "Hero will fall". I was pretty sure Lionel was going to die after Shaw saved his son, but after he escaped, I thought Team Irrelevant was going to make it out unscathed, though I was wondering what Simmons was going to do with the key.

When Carter got shot, my immediate thought was, "What a cheap loving ploy to have Simmons escape with just a flesh wound after killing Carter." I was actually more upset with that than Carter's death itself.

I have to reiterate how surprised I am about how much I'm enjoying the show. Are most cop procedurals like this?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

No POI is really a unique take on the crime procedural format in a way that even other shows in the genre I like (such as Elementary) are not. I can't think of any other show that so seamlessly blends serialized storytelling with week to week problem solving type episodes. At least not until you start branching out of the specifically crime procedural shows into things like Fringe.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Josh Lyman posted:

Since I've been catching up (and am now caught up), I was not spoilered about the "Hero will fall". I was pretty sure Lionel was going to die after Shaw saved his son, but after he escaped, I thought Team Irrelevant was going to make it out unscathed, though I was wondering what Simmons was going to do with the key.

When Carter got shot, my immediate thought was, "What a cheap loving ploy to have Simmons escape with just a flesh wound after killing Carter." I was actually more upset with that than Carter's death itself.

I have to reiterate how surprised I am about how much I'm enjoying the show. Are most cop procedurals like this?

In one word: no.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

No POI is really a unique take on the crime procedural format in a way that even other shows in the genre I like (such as Elementary) are not. I can't think of any other show that so seamlessly blends serialized storytelling with week to week problem solving type episodes. At least not until you start branching out of the specifically crime procedural shows into things like Fringe.
This really can't be overstated.

Sisgmund
Jan 31, 2006

Slamhound posted:

This really can't be overstated.

One interview mentioned they were going for the x-files formula and... Yeah.

Only difference is in POI the mythology eps are best, in x-files it was the procedural ones.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Sisgmund posted:

One interview mentioned they were going for the x-files formula and... Yeah.

Only difference is in POI the mythology eps are best, in x-files it was the procedural ones.

I think it's 50/50 and if they stray too far in any one direction, it suffers. They really have a solid grasp of the concept.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
It's more than that; the impetus for each prodecural episode makes it a mythology episode. You can view the mythology as an aggregation of the procedurals, or the procedurals as facets of the mythology.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
I think the charm lies in their ability to have three to four plotlines running through the story that intersect and tie in with the procedural aspect instead of just one big plotline that never really has a resolution.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Kegslayer posted:

I think the charm lies in their ability to have three to four plotlines running through the story that intersect and tie in with the procedural aspect instead of just one big plotline that never really has a resolution.

Especially when that one big plotline is a will they/won't they you know the showrunners are afraid to resolve for fear of losing shippers.

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff
The CBS/PoI site has uploaded a behind-the-scenes video of The Crossing. Ah, cutting onions and all.

Another fine detail I loved: Finch kept calling Carter Detective after her demotion. :3: In the last episode, he does that again and adds, "It's Detective again, right?" Then calls her Joss upon leaving. Coming from someone as formal as Finch, how can you not jump in your seat.

The reactions aren't so good out there, lots of viewers saying they're done with the show after the mini-arc. Let's hope it's just a knee-jerk reaction and that ratings won't go down.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Pilli posted:

The reactions aren't so good out there, lots of viewers saying they're done with the show after the mini-arc. Let's hope it's just a knee-jerk reaction and that ratings won't go down.

Most of those people are idiots though, they say they are quitting because killing Carter was racist. :rolleyes:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Hopefully they will read all those same interviews I linked and see the light. It's silly to assume that the people who have produced and written one of the most progressive shows to date are suddenly MRAs for giving a character a heroic death when the actor playing her wanted out.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Well from the interviews I've read she didn't want out but the showrunners pretty much told the cast they aren't always safe and she was fine with not having to sit on the show until it poo poo the bed but kept going. Although I doubt we'd ever see someone bite it during a 'routine' episode, which would be shocking.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I am just floored. I am not in the US so I had not seen any of the previews or adverts. I had no idea that they had been saying that someone was going to die. Hell, I haven't even had time to even read the thread in ages

I was practically in tears when Carter died. If you had no idea about someone dying, it hit you like a ton of bricks.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Character death is always a calculated gamble. I used to regularly watch Castle and they had a similar "sudden character death" moment, but the character they replaced that one with was a real step down to the overall enjoyability of the show. I mean, that wasn't the only problem Castle had, mind you, but still. I have more faith in the PoI showrunners to work with the aftermath of this than I do the Castle showrunners, and as much as I enjoyed Carter as a character the thing is this isn't a situation where they need to replace her whereas with Castle they kinda had to.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Yeah you can correlate everything lovely about Castle to Montgomery dying.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Pretty smart of them to introduce Shaw so early, if that had been this season fans would hate her as a "replacement" and cry racism even louder than they are now.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

beanieson posted:

Pretty smart of them to introduce Shaw so early, if that had been this season fans would hate her as a "replacement" and cry racism even louder than they are now.

All the while ignoring that Sarah Shahi is half Iranian half Spanish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Kai Tave posted:

All the while ignoring that Sarah Shahi is half Iranian half Spanish.

"BUT SHE LOOKS AND ACTS WHITE SO IT DOESN'T COUNT"

• Locked thread