Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.

bad day posted:

I am playing a Halloween gig following a rockabilly band at a bar in central China.

Help? I could use it.

I've only heard about rockabilly once before from someone who was into it, and it the same sentence I also heard for the first time too "chiptunes". Look into that, but I really hope to be very wrong here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Alfajor posted:

I've only heard about rockabilly once before from someone who was into it, and it the same sentence I also heard for the first time too "chiptunes". Look into that, but I really hope to be very wrong here.

Rockabilly and chip tunes have nothing to do with each other. Like, they are about as far apart as two genres can be

Always play Thriller on Halloween.

Champ Baldoon
Nov 22, 2012

dont let me get in my zone

bad day posted:

I am playing a Halloween gig following a rockabilly band at a bar in central China. Usually I play a mix of uptempo 90's hip-hop/jersey club/whatever I'm interested in at the moment but the owner has expressed a preference for House/dubstep but wants it to be happy and upbeat to hopefully ensure that customers who came for the rockabilly will stay for the DJ. I have no interest in trying to mash up Horton Heat all night and am being paid in drugs plus everyone is Chinese so irony is a net minus in this situation - a monster mash mashup will simply fall flat.

Does anyone have suggestions, especially for starting mixes? My current thoughts are Drake's Hold On We're Going Home blended with Too Short's The Ghetto and following from there at 100 bpm but that might be too sad. I have this problem where the music I like seems to be slightly depressing and it bleeds over into my sets. I will be playing mashed up Hammer Horror grind house/soft pron clips from the 70's on a video screen - I need to develop a playlist that will be kind of spooky yet happy, danceable, and follows conventional structure.

Does anybody have suggestions for starters? I like how DJ Hoodcore uses a lot of recognizable horror samples but most of his poo poo is Trap and it's too slow for an upbeat Halloween. Any sort of vocal irony and ingenuity will be lost. I am trying to find music that is compelling and interesting on a musical level, and the 2000 or so songs in my library that meet my own personal taste seem inadequate.

In my situation, what would you play? Being successful in no way lines my pockets, I am doing it for free drinks, smoke, and the love of the thing. I especially enjoy playing music I like on his enormous, expensive sound system.

Help? I could use it.

Checkout Annie Mac's 2013 album. It's filled with a lot of hot tunes from the course of the year. I'd spin stuff of that nature if the owner wants upbeat bass music.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

vanilla slimfast posted:

Rockabilly and chip tunes have nothing to do with each other. Like, they are about as far apart as two genres can be
Always play Thriller on Halloween.

I'm relieved to be wrong, thank you.
To make up for this, here's a reddit thread about good halloween songs: http://www.reddit.com/r/DJs/comments/1owp5w/halloween_essential_tracks_2013/

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

bad day posted:

I am playing a Halloween gig following a rockabilly band at a bar in central China.

Wow.

Just play this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDYHby7HELY

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Some of my favorite Halloween tunes

Jacob London - Escape From Horror House
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrCv-xTJeic

Ooft! - In Search of Ecto One
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-JWlZcfdTM

Spirit Catcher - Voo Doo Knight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fderBoD-ls

Anything by Voodeux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDCn_Gtp8lo

Stefan Goldmann - Sleepy Hollow (warning: quality on this one is shite)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZngZtnl7lQ

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

nm

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 26, 2013

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
any halloween songs that are must-haves? or recent remixes that are halloween themed/really good in the general mainstream EDM/party vein (or not)?

edit: I'm djing a halloween party on my campus on wednesday night. I've only djed for like, a couple of people in bedrooms and stuff so I'm pretty nervous. I'm just gonna make a playlist and practice that alot, and maybe audible if people have requests but my music library isn't that large (i'll try to have staples like "Yeah" or whatever). I'll probably just play mainstream EDM-type stuff with a couple of halloween-themed jams (Thriller) and try to keep my transitions clean. Is this the right idea?

an skeleton fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Oct 26, 2013

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Protip: when djing sketchy parties make sure you have the Cops theme ready to go. It's hilarious for when the police inevitably show up.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Is there a recommended store for buying vinyl in the U.S.? I'm not looking to find any crazy rare stuff, just mainstream hip-hop and older funk/soul. I'm not picky about condition either, so buying used is fine with me too.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Discogs and Turntable Lab are the first two that come to mind.

I think Urban Outfitters sells vinyl too. :v:

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

So does Hot Topic! I dunno, I'll bet you can find some record stores in your city.

FawksyRawksy
Oct 17, 2012

keevo posted:

Discogs and Turntable Lab are the first two that come to mind.

I think Urban Outfitters sells vinyl too. :v:

Don't go down the Urban Outfitters route, all their stuff is overpriced. $30 for a De La Soul album that could be found for about $15 mint is ridiculous. Just google for vinyl shops in your area. Even the small ones will be a goldmine, especially in America where records in the bargain bin cost less than a hamburger in McDonalds.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Thanks, I do live in a big city so I'll go do exactly that. :)

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

terre packet posted:

Thanks, I do live in a big city so I'll go do exactly that. :)
I just bought 8 45s and 3 12" for 6 and change. Second hand book store.

And, to make it really hurt, I bought over 600 classic hip hop records from a record store that got it from a university radio station for $20. TWENTY DOLLARS. FOR SIX HUNDRED RECORDS!!!!

Then i went through them all until i couldnt listen to the same hip hop beat anymore and traded the leftovers for an MPC 4000.

Best $20 ever.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Yeah you can probably get vinyl collections crazy cheap - I have thousands of records in storage but there's no point in selling them because I will never get back the money I spent. It's a pretty cool collection and the majority cannot be found on cd or mp3, so they will be cool to pull out years from now. Maybe, I now find 90's music sounds kind of weak compared to newer production/mastering techniques.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
I went and got myself a Xone: DB2 and I couldn't be happier. It sounds so clean I don't feel like I'm fighting with my mix to sound the way I want.

Only real issue I have is the filter mode is kind of useless to me since I can't use the input matrix to map it channel specific like you can on the DB4. Which means I'll never really use it since I don't want to be practising all of my mixes on a feature that only my mixer has. Hoping they update that in the next firmware.

Otherwise its a fantastic mixer, I really can't get over how clean it sounds. The filters and effects are night and day compared to Traktor's and after spending years mixing on Traktor's internal mixer I am questioning how I went this long before switching over.

I wish there was some more feedback on the internet because it's going to take forever to learn all the effects. Not that I'm complaining.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
so I'm probably going to have to DJ without headphones tomorrow. Is this a recipe for disaster? I think if I just know all my transitions I should be fine. I'm not doing anything too crazy.

Question:
Is there any good way to transition from
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXWk-aInsow
to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfq3ZVzdBD8

Sorry for these amateur questions

an skeleton fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Oct 29, 2013

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

What are you using? If you're using a DVS I think you'll be fine. With CDs or whatever, it'll be difficult but not impossible. As long as you know your songs you'll be fine.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
If you have waveforms in front of you that's 90% of what you need anyway.

One useful trick is to bring the next song in very slightly until you can just barely hear it in the mix. Then you can adjust by ear and probably no one on the floor will notice.

I occasionally DJ without headphones and with significant audio lag - playing off my iPad through bluetooth speakers. It never sounds like an A+ performance that I'd be particularly proud of but it works well enough when I'm playing songs I'm very familiar with. Perfectly fine for DJing a house party. Being able to move around and actually hang out with my friends is well worth the tradeoff.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

an skeleton posted:

so I'm probably going to have to DJ without headphones tomorrow. Is this a recipe for disaster? I think if I just know all my transitions I should be fine. I'm not doing anything too crazy.

Question:
Is there any good way to transition from
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXWk-aInsow
to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfq3ZVzdBD8

Sorry for these amateur questions

Why cant you use headphones? Iphone ones work fine if you dont have anything else.

First of all, i wouldnt play moar ghosts n stuff cause that poo poo is busted and anyone that likes it has heard it at least 1000 times by now. Maybe use the original mix with a wind down(or reverb out i guess) right before the drop and then drop a trap remix(its whats hot now, im sure you can find a good one) then you could mix into your second song easier.

But the larger picture here is that theres never really a reason to PLAN on connecting those two songs, maybe if a dozen people requested it then play them in that order. The point is to blend complimentary songs. Theres nothing similar about those songs. You are trying to smash square things and rounds thing. Think smooth. The rhythms of the songs are just too different to ever sound good.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Yeah, you're right, I just picked it because halloween.
Do you find your remixes on beatport? If a song is up for free DL on Beatport, is that OK to use usually or will it be too low quality? I don't mind buying songs but I'm not gonna be getting paid for this gig anyway, so I don't necessarily wanna buy every song I use.

For example:

https://soundcloud.com/thatkidiv/deadmau5-ghosts-n-stuff-i-v
Is this high enough quality to use?

Also, based on what you said, is it a no-no to mix trap and electro-house? Should it be like first half house then trap? Or can I intersperse between them? It sounds kinda good to me the way I do it, but I guess I could be wrong :blush:

an skeleton fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 29, 2013

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

You can play Trap and Electro House, but remember you're playing to the crowd. You gotta play what they like to hear.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
I have a question from the perspective of a guy who loves listening to DJs but has no idea how it all works. I'm honestly fascinated by a good DJ and the way that they can mix music together to make it appear as one large song, and it's something I'd love to emulate had I an artistic bone in my body. Unfortunately fate has cursed me with the coordination of a drunken buffalo so I'm one of those people that are happy sitting on the side, listening.

That being said, I've somehow avoided the god-awful Top-40 anthem that is "Wrecking Ball" by Miley Cyrus until today. When I heard the entire song for the first time I was pretty much bored out of my mind. Its slow, drawn-out pace made it painful to listen to, and it seemed out of place amongst the brighter Top-40 songs. That said, when a drunken girl/guy stumbles up to the DJ booth and blurts out "OH MY GOD CAN YOU PLAY WRECKING BALL", how do you know how to mix it in properly? How do you keep a slow song like that running with a faster dance beat? Do you run a custom beat underneath and go for an Acapella track on top? Do let it go as-is? How do you keep something like that from killing the crowd (or do you just ignore drunken girl/guy altogether)?

Again, from the untrained ear of an idiot it seems like a huge variance in speed from the other brighter, faster oriented dance music, and I'm just wondering how DJs manage to keep it all together. I'd like to hear from you all what you do when your audience asks you to play songs that are way out of tune/tempo of what you're running with, and how you manage to please the crowd. Just because I hate "Wrecking Ball" doesn't mean that everyone does, and obviously in order to keep the crowd happy you have to be able to splice in stuff like that.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Ripoff posted:

just ignore drunken girl/guy altogether

Pretty much. I don't have much top40 on my library, and if I do, it's usually a remix of some sort instead of the actual pop song.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
It helps to wear a t-shirt that says NO REQUESTS and point to it when people try to request songs. This sort of thing was way more frustrating back when you had to DJ vinyl because you'd constantly have to explain that you only took 2 crates of records with you and that's all you have.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

bad day posted:

It helps to wear a t-shirt that says NO REQUESTS and point to it when people try to request songs. This sort of thing was way more frustrating back when you had to DJ vinyl because you'd constantly have to explain that you only took 2 crates of records with you and that's all you have.

That makes sense, especially with regards to DJing with vinyl (which seems sort of insane compared to the slick PC interfaces that the OP went over). It also gives a reason to why a lot of DJ booths are stuck high above the audience where it's incredibly tough to interact with them. On one hand I think it gives the DJ an idea of how the audience is reacting to the music, and on the other it prevents people from bothering the poo poo out of you.

Alfajor posted:

Pretty much. I don't have much top40 on my library, and if I do, it's usually a remix of some sort instead of the actual pop song.

Out of curiosity where do you get most of these remixes? Beatport or one of their competitors? I always figured that the DJs I've seen at local bars craft up their own remixes, but now I'm curious to see if they're actually pulling some "off the shelf" stuff.

Thanks to you both for enlightening the ignorant here!

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Soundcloud has a lot of good remixes. Sometimes people only make them downloadable for a few days, though, so you have to follow people regularly and grab them quickly.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Yup, I've gotten lots of cool stuff from soundcloud, just from browsing around wikipedia-style.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Soundcloud is genuinely the best thing to happen to my music collection in a long time, the variation on offer is amazing and the producers giving stuff away for free is definitely welcome.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
Soundcloud owns. I usually do trap/twerk events and since that's what's in (though not in Korea) it's easy to find lots of great remixes of popular songs or classics. If someone requests something and I can fit it in without it ruining the flow of the dance floor I'll stick in a remix. I usually know who goes down hard on the floor so I just play stuff they'll like and tend not to get many requests as a result.

Also helped that NO REQUESTS is painted on the wall and it takes up a huge amount of space. If you can't tell, one of the owners is a long-time DJ.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
My Halloween gig went well - I played an old Something Weird drug-movie compilation on a video screen, played dubstep/trap/old techno all night, and had my Maschine loaded up with screams and Halloween sounds, everybody had a good time.

Thanks for the advice!

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Another video of the BEAMZDJ: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPX3oUMmaDE&feature=share
Apparently, it's not real. What? :laugh:

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Alfajor posted:

Another video of the BEAMZDJ: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPX3oUMmaDE&feature=share
Apparently, it's not real. What? :laugh:

It copies the audio from a Jazzy Jeff set for starters

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
If anyone's curious, I mentioned earlier about DJing and on-campus event and being pretty unprepared (I don't practice very much and I didn't have headphones). Fortunately, everything went fine. I played a lot of trap/trap remixes of popular songs mixed with a couple of popular hip-hop/r&b songs and halloween themed songs, then went into some deeper house stuff towards the end of the performance. I was afraid that the deep house stuff wouldn't be received well but I think it was! The party was 2 hours long so I started running out of songs towards the end of the performance but I improvised and I don't think anyone really noticed.

But now, I find myself a little bit motivated to get better. I don't want to be a DJ for a career or anything, but just be competent enough/know a couple of cool tricks. Like, for example, I was wondering what a couple of methods are for transitioning hip-hop songs into each other? I usually just find a cool phrase that the rapper is saying or a melody in one of the songs and start looping it or whatever and slide into the next song slowly, and that seems to work well enough but its basically just a method that I made up, sometimes I throw a little scratching in there or if the songs are similar tempo maybe I can blend them better. Anyways, just looking for suggestions in that department because it is really different from mixing house it seems.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Also had a really good Halloween gig at a new venue - second Thursday in and we've already made more than ever at the last place, and the environment, staff, patrons - it's just so much better all around. Met some really great people, linked up with more great producers and had a blast. Followed the first guy's Hip-Hop set by opening with Thriller into some Tech House, but very quickly found myself playing mostly Trap and Moombahton, with tons of manual tempo transitions. The floor was packed, girls were twerking, the energy was awesome. Thank you, SA DJ thread.

Super-late EDIT: Pics are up! I'm the DJ wearing MARPAT and a beret.

I've had Thriller stuck in my head for like four days now.

Also, just got my 1200s back from a local repair guru. Months ago, I lent them out and one got stolen from a buddy's car, he replaced it with one with a busted-rear end tonearm (only after I hounded him for nearly a month). Anyway not only are they fixed but they feel completely brand-new. I went and bought some vinyl to celebrate, and checking through the shop's D&B section I kept cursing myself; "you idiot this is going to cost you so much in vinyl"

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 7, 2013

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Since my halloween show was so successful, I am promoting a Christmas eve party, hoping to draw around 300 people to a really nice bar/club in central China. We'll have some rappers and other djs, I get to keep all the money from the door and 20% net on bottles and drink specials.

Dubstep/Trap/Twerk seemed to be the way to go on Halloween. What are some cool Xmas-type remixes I can add to my playlists? Those halloween suggestions were really helpful.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR07r0ZMFb8

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Last year was my "friend's house" gig.
This Saturday, he's having a repeat of the party, so it'll be my DJ-anniversary. I was just practicing a bit at home, and I realized that one of the things I've learned to love about DJing is that ~I~ get to pick the music and play it on sound systems much bigger than the ones I own.
gently caress yeah, this hobby is best hobby. I can't even compute how rad it would be to be a touring/big DJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Alfajor posted:

Last year was my "friend's house" gig.
This Saturday, he's having a repeat of the party, so it'll be my DJ-anniversary. I was just practicing a bit at home, and I realized that one of the things I've learned to love about DJing is that ~I~ get to pick the music and play it on sound systems much bigger than the ones I own.
gently caress yeah, this hobby is best hobby. I can't even compute how rad it would be to be a touring/big DJ.

I've just reached the point of being able to play on one of the best sound systems in town on a regular basis. All of my music seriously sounds like 400x better on that thing, it's so much fun.

I also enjoy playing other people's living rooms when they have good systems :)

Playing the main stage of a massive must be insane.