Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

comes along bort posted:

Don't forget planking. And rainbow parties. And satanic D&D heavy metal human sacrifices.
Or buttchugging/putting alcohol in places it doesn't belong, as if everyone under 25 is doing something like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
How is the GOP spinning/handling the Trey Radel thing? Wasn't this one of the Tea Party shitheads who wanted everyone collecting government assistance to be drug tested and poo poo? Shockingly, I haven't heard FOX or AM radio mention it much at all. I did hear Rush going off yesterday about the "drive by media's" obsession with Rob Ford and how "they won't let it go" because he's white, conservative and fat. "He fits the bill", Rush said.

But come on. That story just gets more and more bizarre every day and would play no matter Ford's political leanings were (think: Anthony Weiner). CNN couldn't get off that story either but then that's OK because a Democrat has a penis he wants to show to certain people. Ford is just berserk and Radel is another example of conservative hypocrisy.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

FMguru posted:

This poo poo runs in cycles. Two decades ago it was "wilding", last decade it was "flash mobs", now it's the "knockout game". Same as it ever was.

See also: "happy slapping" as part of last decade's UK Chav culture.

The first thing I thought of when I heard about the "knockout game" was "happy slapping".

This isn't new, and it's less of a "race war" thing and more of a "teenage rear end in a top hat" thing.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I thought Flash Mobs were those asshats that ruined your lunch by blaring lovely music and re-enacting an episode of Glee?
For some reason, Drudge/Limbaugh/FoxNation turned it into a thing where at a pre-arranged time, a horde of urban feral youths, coordinated on internet and cellphones, would descend on some store or church or whatever, yelling and screaming and overloading whoever's ability to control things and then the violence and the looting. I'm sure it happened once or twice (if seventy teenagers suddenly appear in a 7-11 and start grabbing things and yelling, there's not much the guy behind the counter can do) but the conservative message machine made scared white people think it was a big thing that was sweeping the nation and look out and be alert and get a CCW permit and all that poo poo.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Yeah but planking was a real thing idiots did and the other two are completely imagined horseshit.

So were flash mobs, even though it turned out they were just marketing bullshit.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

This isn't new, and it's less of a "race war" thing and more of a "teenage rear end in a top hat" thing.

Why can't kids today just do like we did and toss rocks off the highway overpass, then go huff freon behind the A&P?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ashgromnies posted:

My parents warned me when I was younger that black people will purposefully bump your car from behind so when you get out to inspect the damage they can rob you.

Same as it ever was.

I've seen a few people around here legitimately swerving around trying to get into accidents, and it doesn't make any loving sense no matter how you think of it because the witnesses are going to tell the cops exactly who was driving erratically.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

BiggerBoat posted:

How is the GOP spinning/handling the Trey Radel thing? Wasn't this one of the Tea Party shitheads who wanted everyone collecting government assistance to be drug tested and poo poo? Shockingly, I haven't heard FOX or AM radio mention it much at all. I did hear Rush going off yesterday about the "drive by media's" obsession with Rob Ford and how "they won't let it go" because he's white, conservative and fat. "He fits the bill", Rush said.

But come on. That story just gets more and more bizarre every day and would play no matter Ford's political leanings were (think: Anthony Weiner). CNN couldn't get off that story either but then that's OK because a Democrat has a penis he wants to show to certain people. Ford is just berserk and Radel is another example of conservative hypocrisy.
This is one of those kinds of things the right wing media tends to outright ignore.

See also: Trey Redel (D-FL)

poor nose
Oct 29, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

I want to hear more about this as well but the seem to not be acknowledging it, I am getting very tempted waste my afternoon and try to call into "Open Line Friday" Tomorrow and tell the call screener that I am a dittohead that wants to talk to Rush about my difficulties getting onto the ACA website and how screwed I am even if I do get on.

Then if I somehow convince them to let me talk to Rush I just wanna say: "Hey Rush major ditto's over here, I'm just curious why you haven't mentioned anything about Trey Radel yet, is it because you guys have the same dealer and snicthces get stitches?"

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

poor nose posted:

I want to hear more about this as well but the seem to not be acknowledging it, I am getting very tempted waste my afternoon and try to call into "Open Line Friday" Tomorrow and tell the call screener that I am a dittohead that wants to talk to Rush about my difficulties getting onto the ACA website and how screwed I am even if I do get on.

Then if I somehow convince them to let me talk to Rush I just wanna say: "Hey Rush major ditto's over here, I'm just curious why you haven't mentioned anything about Trey Radel yet, is it because you guys have the same dealer and snicthces get stitches?"

I'm sure they maintain a sizable delay for just such an occasion.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Wow, Reid actually did it. I'm surprised as all hell. Maybe a little scared, too. I mean, he went NUCLEAR.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

See also: Trey Redel (D-FL)

Has this happened yet?

J. P. Beagley
Apr 11, 2008

quote:

CALLER: Thank you so much, Rush, for having me on. Hey, I have been waiting to tell you this all summer. You have made my summer awesome. You just made me have a really fabulous summer, and I'll tell you why. My husband and I, we have eight children, whom we homeschool, and every summer we go out to the garden and plant what I affectionately call my Communist Garden which basically means the idea is to have everybody come out and everybody work together and do their own part so that we can bring this garden in at the end of the summer.

RUSH: Wait, wait, wait, wait. Whoa, whoa, whoa. Your Communist Garden, did you say?

CALLER: My Communist Garden where we all work together, do our part.

RUSH: And you're thanking me?

CALLER: No, no, no, no, no. That's what we've done for many, many years, which basically ends up being -- the communist garden ends up being me planting everything, me watering, weeding, gardening, and me harvesting it, and then the kids eating all the food.

RUSH: Oh, oh, oh, yes. Okay.

CALLER: Exactly.

RUSH: Yeah, yeah, yeah.

CALLER: But after many years of listening to you tell the true story of the Thanksgiving story and my kids finally getting to the age where they're old enough, this year I went out with the kids, and I said, "Kids, we are done with this Communist Garden, and this year we're gonna start a Capitalist Garden." So I handed my kids the seeds and the sprouts, and I said, "You go plant it, you take care of it, and when you bring the harvest in, I'll pay you." Rush, all summer long I had tomatoes and cucumbers and potatoes and onions and all different kinds of vegetables, and I didn't do a bit of work out in that garden. But those kids out there, they worked very hard.

RUSH: You sound like one of the greatest capitalist CEOs I've ever heard. Now you're making the kids work for nothing?

CALLER: Oh, no, I paid them. Oh, I paid them. They bartered with me, too, on how much I was gonna pay 'em. But, yes, they got paid.

RUSH: So you paid 'em based on their output?

CALLER: Yes. Yes, and it was wonderful.

RUSH: Well, you're like a Pilgrim. You took the lesson of William Bradford and you employed it in your own collectivist garden.

CALLER: Exactly, and that's because of you. So I want to thank you for teaching me this great concept. I had a wonderful summer because of you. So thank you.

Thought this was pretty funny.

This call led "naturally" to a plug for Rush Revere.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Naga Warlord posted:

Capitalism only works on the back of child laborers, thanks Rush caller!

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Naga Warlord posted:

quote:

CALLER: Oh, no, I paid them. Oh, I paid them. They bartered with me, too, on how much I was gonna pay 'em. But, yes, they got paid.

Babby's first union :3:

That Irish Gal
Jul 8, 2012

Your existence amounts to nothing more than a goldfish swimming upriver.

PS: We are all actually cats

Naga Warlord posted:

RUSH: You sound like one of the greatest capitalist CEOs I've ever heard. Now you're making the kids work for nothing?

Well, at least Rush understands capitalism :v:

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Apparently notable shithead John Stossel just excoriated the homeless over their untaxed (!!!) panhandling income. He's just trolling at this point, right?

quote:

Donning a fake beard, Stossel sat on a New York City sidewalk with a cardboard sign asking people for help. “I just begged for an hour but I did well,” he said. “If I did this for an eight-hour day I would’ve made 90 bucks. Twenty-three thou for a year. Tax-free.”

Lucky Ducky!

bobservo fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 21, 2013

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
Twenty three thousand smackeroos. Some serious dinero. Big stacks of paper for the lucky homeless beggar.

Why, with twenty three thousand tax-free dollars you could have almost $2000 a month for all your expenses! Truly living high on the hog.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/3568278/

ashgromnies fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 21, 2013

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Flash mobs (or bash mobs, or flash robs or whatever) weren't actually bullshit in Philadelphia. This poo poo happened in my neighborhood for years, eventually the cops started having to patrol South St almost 24/7 with horses on weekends in the spring and summer to keep it in check. Still happening this year sometimes, although that one might have just been a bunch of kids getting out of school.

As I recall, the first ones happened when people were still pissed about a police brutality video caught by a news chopper and when the economy was full-on hosed in 2008 or 2009. The funny thing is, I never saw any of the Philly incidents mentioned when flash mobs came up in national news or conservative talk radio, like during the Zimmerman trial.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
And you get to enjoy the full brunt of NE winters 24 hours a day and the never ending joy of the streets of NYC. poo poo I'm packing my bags right now.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
So, Charles C.W. Cooke, National Review anchor baby, what could come of today's filibuster reform?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK5U-t2DJZc

In case you didn't quite catch that, yes, he actually did say, "You could have a military coup."

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Joementum posted:

So, Charles C.W. Cooke, National Review anchor baby, what could come of today's filibuster reform?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK5U-t2DJZc

In case you didn't quite catch that, yes, he actually did say, "You could have a military coup."

Good god, the FOX lady looks like she's going to cry.

Isn't this, like, how the framers originally designed the senate anyway?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
The big thing :foxnews: was doing today was ":smug: When we get a majority in the senate we're going to extend it to everything. The Democrats will regret this huge mistake :smug:." Now maybe the senate can work again without every little thing getting secretly filibustered.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

So for the upcoming flood of "THIS IS KING OBUMMER AND HIS DUMBOCRATS MAKING A POWER-GRAB BY SHUTTING DOWN THE BRAVE OPPOSITION" messaging that is already getting cranked out, is there any clean and easy way to explain just what the nuclear option does and how it matters in the scheme of things? It's right before Thanksgiving, and I'm going to get loving mobbed by smug family members who think Obama is literally staging a jihadist coup. :ohdear:

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

Azuth0667 posted:

The big thing :foxnews: was doing today was ":smug: When we get a majority in the senate we're going to extend it to everything. The Democrats will regret this huge mistake :smug:." Now maybe the senate can work again without every little thing getting secretly filibustered.

Well why the gently caress not? Elections should have consequences, shouldn't they? Did they seriously just realize that this doesn't inherently benefit either party, or did they assume no one else did?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

No they're just children who need to feel smug and have the last word in literally every single thing.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Generic American posted:

So for the upcoming flood of "THIS IS KING OBUMMER AND HIS DUMBOCRATS MAKING A POWER-GRAB BY SHUTTING DOWN THE BRAVE OPPOSITION" messaging that is already getting cranked out, is there any clean and easy way to explain just what the nuclear option does and how it matters in the scheme of things? It's right before Thanksgiving, and I'm going to get loving mobbed by smug family members who think Obama is literally staging a jihadist coup. :ohdear:

If a bill gets more votes for it than against it, it wins. If the bill becomes a law and it sucks really badly, the people who voted for it won't get re-elected and a better law will get passed. This is literally how a representative democracy works, what the gently caress else do they want.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

This is literally how a representative democracy works, what the gently caress else do they want.

You really have to ask?

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

comes along bort posted:

You really have to ask?

It would be nice to make them admit it at least.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

MisterBadIdea posted:

Well why the gently caress not? Elections should have consequences, shouldn't they? Did they seriously just realize that this doesn't inherently benefit either party, or did they assume no one else did?

I'm not really sure but I think the original idea was to set it up the way it was to foster a need to respect the minorities' rights but, instead it got turned into republicans obstructing everything until the :airquote:nuclear option:airquote: was deployed. Now according to republicans the sky is falling the minority will always be oppressed. If that's true then maybe the rich will finally be oppressed.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Naga Warlord posted:

Being paid based on output was literally the basic structure of Stalin's USSR. Middle managers and bureaucrats hated that their hourly wage was considerably less than a factory worker who was paid based on how much product they created.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

bobservo posted:

Apparently notable shithead John Stossel just excoriated the homeless over their untaxed (!!!) panhandling income. He's just trolling at this point, right?

Lucky Ducky!

“I felt foolish and uncomfortable,” Stossel said of the experience.

Oh don't worry, what you're feeling is actually just the dying remnants of your humanity making one last futile effort to break through the shambling husk of your utter loving vileness.

J. P. Beagley
Apr 11, 2008

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Being paid based on output was literally the basic structure of Stalin's USSR. Middle managers and bureaucrats hated that their hourly wage was considerably less than a factory worker who was paid based on how much product they created.

I think what she meant to say was "I paid them for their output minus my profits."

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

BiggerBoat posted:

I did hear Rush going off yesterday about the "drive by media's" obsession with Rob Ford and how "they won't let it go" because he's white, conservative and fat. "He fits the bill", Rush said.

:ironicat:

I just can't see why those mean mainstream media types can't let it go when white, fat conservatives in the public eye come down with a massive display of hypocracy. It's so unfair! :911:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Seriously guys please go bother all the fit, ethnic conservatives we field to represent ourselves.

*starts walking towards Allen West*

Whoa whoa wait! WAAAAIT!

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

I did hear Rush going off yesterday about the "drive by media's" obsession with Rob Ford and how "they won't let it go" because he's white, conservative and fat. "He fits the bill", Rush said.

"Man, fat white racist druggies can't catch a break. And I should know."

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
If I had a nickle for every time Rush projected something he himself has personally done in the past on to someone else I would have an epic fuckton of nickles

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't know if you're right or not and, of course, there are several books I haven't gotten to over time, but...

I've worked at more than a few a jobs that had a very conservative political atmosphere and I never saw anyone reading much of anything. They'd watch soap operas, The Price is Right and Jerry Springer on the lunchroom TV while I usually read the newspaper or whatever book I was into at the moment. During commercials, I'd overhear their political thoughts and ideas about the news but it was usually "ACORN", "taxes" and poo poo like that. More than one of them made fun of me for being a "bookworm". When break or lunch was over, they'd go back to their work areas and turn Rush Limbaugh back on their radios.

I guess my point is that, yes, most liberals I know read a LOT more than the conservatives I know do.

It seems like every conservative friend I have always says they don't like reading. Which I always wondered how they formed opinions if they didn't read things to inform them about the subjects they're talking about. The secret is of course they don't bother doing that and just parrot talking points.

As for collecting books I love books and got maybe near 1,100-1,500 books crammed in my room and I've been making my way through reading them all.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Generic American posted:

It means Democrats can appoint judges, committee members and pass the legislation that they were elected to do. Even legislation previously championed and advocated by the GOP. Basically, it means the majority elected government can function and write laws.

It also means that Harry Reid and Barrack Obama are (at last) fed up with this:

http://media2.s-nbcnews.com/i/MSNBC/Sections/TVNews/MSNBC%20TV/Maddow/Blog/2010/01/filibuster3.jpg

and have actually realized that Republicans will almost literally block anything, are beyond compromise and elected Democrats want to get a few things done before the next election cycle.

If you're FOX News or Rush Limbaugh, it's a mad, totalitarian, dictatorial power grab designed to pack the courts with liberals and make Obama King for Life.

edit: gently caress. image leeching.

Who was it in this thread talking dumb poo poo saying "well, yeah, but the Democrats started it"?

Because no. Look at that loving graph. I've heard conservative Republican voters opine that Democrats did the same thing under Bush and it's complete bullshit. Bush had a blank check for 4-6 years until he wasted the good will and trust everyone placed in him after 9/11. The only thing Bush didn't get was Social Security reform.

Look at this even:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/rf/im...LEeG8pnJ7y9v4Zg

or especially this;

NPR reported today that the number of judicial appointee filibusters under Obama was more than twice of all the previous administrations combined since Eisenhower. They're right.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/files/2013/07/DPCC_Cloture-Votes-01.png

Good on the democrats for finally realizing something.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 22, 2013

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Limbaugh just said that Harry Reid did it because Senate Republicans have been spineless pussies who were more interested in attacking the Tea Party than Democrats and Reid knew they wouldn't retaliate. He also suggested they filibuster all pieces of legislation to see if Harry Reid will then try to eliminate the general filibuster, because for Limbaugh a functional government is a perpetual dick measuring contest, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Limbaugh just said that Harry Reid did it because Senate Republicans have been spineless pussies who were more interested in attacking the Tea Party than Democrats and Reid knew they wouldn't retaliate. He also suggested they filibuster all pieces of legislation to see if Harry Reid will then try to eliminate the general filibuster, because for Limbaugh a functional government is a perpetual dick measuring contest, I guess.

Now is this a dick measuring contest with or without the viagra he takes with him on caribbean sex tourism trips?