Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
"Yessss Wish access! Now I can ruin some fools with Grigori! Let's see how YOU like it, Hinnom!"

:negative:

(In short, do not wish for Grigori. Are there any other wish chassis' like this?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
No, just that one is totally unwishable.

But whenever you wish for a unit, it calls the lowest-numbered one with that unit type. So you'll only get one of the unique demon types. Every time you wish, you get that same demon.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Speleothing posted:

No, just that one is totally unwishable.

But whenever you wish for a unit, it calls the lowest-numbered one with that unit type. So you'll only get one of the unique demon types. Every time you wish, you get that same demon.

The demon lords have their own types, though, so they're safe. You have to wish for "Lord of Hell" or whatnot. It's the lower ones like the Heliophagus and Ice Devils that you get shafted on, but why are you wishing for them anyway?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
To show what a slick guy you are, obviously.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Because who has time to research & empower when you've gone through all the trouble to get Wish?

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012
Does anyone have thoughts on playing bandar log successfully? I read some dom3 guides and like the nation's flavor a lot but they seem lackluster without their free points from heat scales. Thus far I've experimented against mighty AI with a dual bless (all those sacreds...), an awake site searcher for the conjuration gems they seem to desperately want, and a SC pretender to cover their rear end during their weak early game. Every one of these approaches just left me feeling screwed by the angles I didn't cover, and the recruitable bandar sacreds really don't seem to do enough to justify focusing on them. Should I be tanking my scales? Trying something totally different?

Also, reincarnation only works on old age death... should I consider death 3 to synergize with that ability, or are the results not good enough to justify it?

TheresNoThyme fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 21, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Reincarnation works on every kind of death, it just doesn't do what you think it does / want it to do.

(Specifically: It doesn't trigger every time, and getting converted directly into a white candle is a thing that can happen instead of actually getting a unit back. I can't recall if reincarnated units go back to your capital or to their home province, but if you expected either of those it's probably the other.)

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012
Ah, okay. That will teach me to use ancient forums posts for information. Still curious if anyone has found a way to make the ability (or the nation) work for them in a way that is effective and hopefully more fun than "mass cheap archers and get a windguide/fire arrows pretender"

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

TheresNoThyme posted:

Ah, okay. That will teach me to use ancient forums posts for information. Still curious if anyone has found a way to make the ability (or the nation) work for them in a way that is effective and hopefully more fun than "mass cheap archers and get a windguide/fire arrows pretender"
I'm sure Baalz could come up with a spurious solution :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

TheresNoThyme posted:

Supposedly you can bootstrap into blood and get a decent economy going with your national summons, but a) that only really covers the lategame b) I tried it once and it was a disaster, although that might just be because I'm new and bad at dominions.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I just started a game as Bandar Log and I'm using an imprisoned W9E4 Monolith that allows me to have a couple reasonable scales with Heat cranked to 3 and a few points of sloth. Tiger Riders are pretty fantastic for expansion with this bless, 8-10 of them with a Brahmin for bless duty can take most indy provinces easily.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I actually quite like the bandar sacreds, I'd probably play them with a major and a minor bless, or a single major on a dragon with the dragon as SC. Don't tank your gold scales, but you can take sloth and drain and whatnot. You'll want to do plenty of sitesearching and get those summonable sacreds to bring your bless into the midgame.

e: also arrange the demise of anyone with usable sacreds and that animal awe throne

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 21, 2013

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

How are u posted:

I just started a game as Bandar Log and I'm using an imprisoned W9E4 Monolith that allows me to have a couple reasonable scales with Heat cranked to 3 and a few points of sloth. Tiger Riders are pretty fantastic for expansion with this bless, 8-10 of them with a Brahmin for bless duty can take most indy provinces easily.

In dom3 at least dual major tigers were serious business for expansion.

folytopo
Nov 5, 2013
Hopefully there will be a re-balancing of the national Bandar Log summons. They also like a bless and they are badass. They are currently way to much without clams and how much harder it is to get a gem income going. If they become more cost effective then awesome stuff can happen. Flying Kinara thugs are cool.

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

builds character posted:

In dom3 at least dual major tigers were serious business for expansion.

Tigers have one more protection and cost 30 gold less in Dom4, so I'd say they're even more serious business expanders now.

Speaking of blesses, does anyone have some experience with new EA Agartha, particularly their sacred olm units? I'm always tempted to go for a major fire bless, because it means that at least most of my sacreds are capable of killing a thing (and the olms become extra capable of killing a thing), even if the rest of my recruitables can't hit poo poo.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I tried a fire bless on boulders. Half the time they hit the other boulder throwers, and also set them on fire. :rolleye:
Olms already have perfect accuracy, and flaming weapons don't apply to magic attacks so it probably won't do a lot. I'd take an AE bless instead to make up for the Ancient/Seal Guards' more obvious problems.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Olm Sage looks to mostly be a clayman generator, which isn't a bad thing because claymen are cheap and better than pretty much anything Agartha can field short of very big blesses on seal guards.

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

amuayse posted:

and flaming weapons don't apply to magic attacks so it probably won't do a lot.

Ahh, I thought flaming weapons applied to everything now - I missed the part where magic attacks weren't included. That sort of ruins my idea then, especially with boulder throwers being so bad.

Charez
May 10, 2013
I still like scout prophet on non-bless nations, since they have less reason for the prophet to follow around an army all the time. If my prophet's gonna be doing stuff like building temples, claiming thrones, and preaching, I want it to be the scout, since it moves faster and has no leadership.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Olm sages are also 'recruit anywhere that's a cave' even without a fortress ...and maybe recruit anywhere with Womb/Roots of the Earth.

Sad that caves are so rare, even on the smaller premade maps, and mountains (border) provinces don't count for anything.

If you want to buff Great Olms, the only bless I would think is relevant is quickness, but you can probably get/equip a mage capable of buffing them with the spell instead. If you want to get the most out of your Great Olms, I would recommend magic scales, on account of the reduction in Magic Resistance.

Earth makes the most sense as a major bless, given the high Earth pretender chassisis that are available. An E9 cyclops with all that extra protection makes an excellent awake supercombatant (that is still able to be trampled around by elephants...), taking you to E9 and 7 candles before taking any negative scales and capable of a strong Earth Blood Deep Well if you can actually reach Enchant 7, Riches from Beneath otherwise. Or you can go E10, 8 candles, and one scale of death and heat. This gives you 30 protection on turn 0, as well as the inherent Fear(5). Unfortunately, despite being the most readily available, even a major earth bless doesn't make Ancient Ones worth their cost, IMO.

As an aside, a small amount of mistortune, death, and some positive magic scales with actually works out well - when it doesn't end with independent event barbarians taking a key connecting province and cutting off half of your tax base from your starting fort in the first year. The witch events tend to pop up, generating a nice chunk of death gems, magic scales, and a few bad scales, while your provinces with Earth Readers or Oracles are generally protected from misfortune.

I'm currently trying to work out an imprisoned forge lord strategy with a weak multibless, but I haven't worked out everything I want to do yet, let alone the implementation. It got put on hold due to the lackluster manual forging section, but with the DB released I might be able to plan enough to do a basic test of whether the longterm strategy is even viable.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
If you sent them to 40%, you get about the same parity as mountains when it comes to terrain occurrence.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Is that something I need to do by command line? I haven't spotted the option anywhere in the GUI, I had unconsciously assumed I would want the command lines only for hosting, and separate game saves. (I have to say, the lack of an integrated and convenient save/restore feature is something I'm surprised is still a thing).

VV Thanks! That's going to be fantastic.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 21, 2013

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
It's on the main menu. Go to the random map creator in game tools. There's an option called set cave percentage.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
From what I recall from LA Atlantis, unless I'm getting it confused with mods, it's not actually that hard to get an awake SC AND a major bless at the same time with a W9 Dagon.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
Right I guess this should be announced here too.

New game - Tuba

Decided to throw up another newbie game. LA, throne victory, 12 players 15 provinces a piece. Enjoy!

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Aaaand I'm gone from YHM. If it wasn't for the fact that intensive DNWS site searching uncovered a grand total of ~five sites, most of which didn't even give gems, I might have been able to fight off Hinnom, Mictlan, and Lanka. I think my other mistake was focusing on enchantment beyond the point of skelespam instead of conjuration. Wrath of the ancients would have been pretty nice against thugged out Sons. The grand blood alliance was a lie from the moment TNN fell.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
To be honest, I've found that after putting a good number of (single player) games under my belt in Dom4, there's really no reason not to start a game with less than 75% magic site frequency. It just makes the game so much more fun.

folytopo
Nov 5, 2013
Playing 2 multiplayer games right now. I have a late game one going on where the standard Late Age site frequency. It will take so long for the remote site searching to pay off. I do not know when I will be able to use cool magic stuff in paths I did not start with in my capital. Well past turn 30.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Do I need to sign up a seperate Brainwrinkle account if I only used the old (matryx?) one before? I can't log in and it isn't sending a password but want to make sure. I haven't played MP in a long time.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Decrepus posted:

Do I need to sign up a seperate Brainwrinkle account if I only used the old (matryx?) one before? I can't log in and it isn't sending a password but want to make sure. I haven't played MP in a long time.

Yes, if you only ever used matryx then you need to make a new ggs account.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
Attention new players

I've been hosting a bunch of newbie games since we have a fairly large influx of new players between the LPs and the release of Dominions 4. That being said I've been running off a kind of honor code where people won't keep joining newbie games if they're starting to get competent or they start winning games. Please self regulate, I see a number of you in more than 3 newbie games at a time right now and its kind of a dick move. Both because you take a slot from someone who is not in many games and because you're not really a newbie anymore if you're in so many games.

Please don't abuse my trust or I'm going to have to start kicking people out of sign ups.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I remember in my first newbie game there was a 4 year veteran who joined because he wasn't exactly sure about his end-game strategy. :laffo:

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
New games Harmonica and Flute are now up on Brainwrinkle!

These games will be open to everyone, EA and MA respectively. Throne victory, aiming for 10 players a piece, ~15 provinces a person. Ermor is allowed.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Can someone explain this to me? An enemy pretender wandered into an 8-candle province with a never healing wound. I get that the dominion effect can't kill a unit, but he shouldn't be gaining hitpoints by doing this. Is this just a display error or does he actually have 142 hitpoints?

\/\/\/ Thanks!

Microcline fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 23, 2013

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
It has to do with max health total being proportional to dominion candles. That's why if you get a diseased pretender in an enemy dom province, and then move him back to a home dom province, he dies near instantly.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Is that from a combat replay?

Pretenders don't recalculate their HP instantly after leaving their dominion, it happens later in the turn sequence. This can be abused with teleporting/cloud trapezing/etc pretenders to launch more advantageous attacks, or at least it could in dom3.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Is that from a combat replay?

Pretenders don't recalculate their HP instantly after leaving their dominion, it happens later in the turn sequence. This can be abused with teleporting/cloud trapezing/etc pretenders to launch more advantageous attacks, or at least it could in dom3.

I wouldn't really call it abuse, it's working as intended. It only takes building an SC god once to figure out that you keep your bonus HP for the first battle. It is more dangerous since routing and afflictions are calculated from your 'offical' total HP, not the total HP you started the battle with, so your Cyclops will sit there soaking up afflictions when he should have run.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Speleothing posted:

I wouldn't really call it abuse, it's working as intended. It only takes building an SC god once to figure out that you keep your bonus HP for the first battle. It is more dangerous since routing and afflictions are calculated from your 'official' total HP, not the total HP you started the battle with, so your Cyclops will sit there soaking up afflictions when he should have run.

Legitimate strategies in Dominions would be abuse in any lesser game.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

When I say "abuse" I don't mean it in any pejorative sense, many of the best game mechanics ever invented were accidents. (Or more properly, it doesn't matter if they were accidents or not.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Does scout blocking still work?

• Locked thread