Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Dr Subterfuge posted:

I'm curious now. Do the movies do this better? All I know about them is from some of the posts in this thread.

It actually much much worse than the anime at that.

The third movie is pretty dope, and I hated the first two, but they do a real poo poo job at translating the story or the characters, or even making sensible stand alone products.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
The Golden Age was fun because you see the world slowly slipping into what the black swordsman world is.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

trucutru posted:

The thing about Mozgus is that guys like him (minus the awesome face) really did exist and we know it so his actions, no matter how lovely, become believable. He was just doing what he thought was correct out of the goodness of his heart.

Bit late, but given how pissed Mozgus got when defied and such, I don't really think we can say he was acting solely out of the "goodness of his heart". He truly believed a lot of what he said, to be sure, but he was also on a huge power trip himself, and a lot of his beliefs centered on or at least concerned he himself being righteous and just as much as they did what God wants.

Which is not to say that he and the arc he was in weren't great, because they were. His followers (especially plague mask dude, who like Mozgus has motivations other than just being evil and wanting to cause misery, except even moreso because he doesn't even have the hypocritical self-righteousness, just absolute loyalty to a guy who happens to be a (metaphorical) monster for reasons that would actually inspire such loyalty) were cool too.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Since we're talking about past arcs now. I can stand to do a re-read the Golden Age/Eclipse arcs again but I can't say the same for the Misty Valley/Lost Children arc. Rosine's backstory alone is gut-wrenching. Guts also kills like 50 kids everytime he swings his sword and it's just so...:smithicide:.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Mozgus wasn't power tripping he was legitimately insane. Just look at his face when he gets mad. I wish I had a scan of it right now, it is one of the funniest things in this entire series.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

notZaar posted:

Mozgus wasn't power tripping he was legitimately insane. Just look at his face when he gets mad. I wish I had a scan of it right now, it is one of the funniest things in this entire series.

That and the demon tigers during the whole World Tree thing -- they're supposed to be terrifying, but really they just look derpy. It's like if someone infected Tigger with a zombie virus.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

notZaar posted:

Proof that Mozgus is the best character:

Vedius Pollio
Sep 11, 2007

In case any of you are impatient for your Miura fix after a year of sobriety as I am the first raws of Gigantomachia seem to be floating around at the moment.

So I'm totally digging the '70s sci-fi art aesthetics, but errr... Is Miura taking his cues from the racist bug manga?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I would imagine they just draw from the same well (namely the Go Nagai well).

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Vedius Pollio posted:

In case any of you are impatient for your Miura fix after a year of sobriety as I am the first raws of Gigantomachia seem to be floating around at the moment.

I'm out of the loop - what's Gigantomachia? I can only see something about Saint Seiya - but it came out in, like, 2005.

Edit: Obligatory oh, new posts, maybe somethings- nope, no news of new chapters :eng99:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

LashLightning posted:

I'm out of the loop - what's Gigantomachia? I can only see something about Saint Seiya - but it came out in, like, 2005.

Edit: Obligatory oh, new posts, maybe somethings- nope, no news of new chapters :eng99:

http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=14106.0

Skullknight forums posted:

Gigantomakhia is Kentarou Miura's new 6-part miniseries, set in a world 100 million years in the future.

The title is a Greek phrase meaning Battle of Giants. It refers to the mythical war between the gods of Olympus and rebelling giants. For a much more rich exploration of Gigantomachia across the ages, check here.

According to an ad in the Nov. 8 issue of Young Animal, Gigantomakhia will run for 6 issues, likely ending in February 2014, with Berserk set to resume afterward.

The first episode will be 44 pages, with one color page.

dionysian
Dec 30, 2012

hi, would any of you happen to know what anime made zorak cry on september 22nd, 2007?

he was posting a lot in this thread at the time

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

DionysisTheBold posted:

hi, would any of you happen to know what anime made zorak cry on september 22nd, 2007?

:allears:

No.

but I wanna know

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I kinda hope it was Gundam Seed Destiny. Just knowing it exists makes me cry some days.

Gonna sit down tomorrow night and get through the 2nd and 3rd Berserk movies. Should be fun, I hope.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
First chapter of Gigantomakhia has been translated.

It's pretty cool. Also, whoever compared it to that racist bug-people manga has a point.

[edit]

Okay, I read a bit more and there's some really creepy poo poo with the little girl. God drat it, Miura.

Frankenstein Dad fucked around with this message at 04:21 on May 28, 2014

Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'
What is the racist bug people manga?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Terra ForMars

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Is it really racist to dislike bugs?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
You really see no issue with this?

Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'
Yeah, the issue isn't that they are black, like what some people are complaining. It's the face and the hair, which is obviously derivative from African people. Or, stereotypical depictions of them at the very least.

It's kinda sad that one of the most influential countries in terms of media consumption is also one of the most racist, amongst other things.

Zewle
Aug 12, 2005
Delaware Defense Force Janitor
Nice to know whatever happens in Berserk Ubik seems to keep his job.

I don't think I like this new thing from Miura, and the opening is gross and creepy. Its strange to see a protagonist that stout in a manga.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Nice to see something new from Miura. Gonna check this out.

To keep the Berserk news rolling: going by the forums, Berserk will probably continue after the last issue of the new series - which SHOULD be 28th Feb 2014... Oh well, even if it's just a faint chance, it's nice to have a date at all.

Whelp, off to reading. :toot:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Woah, I read the first chapter of Gigantomakhia and I'm positively surprised. In the grim dark future of man, there is only wrestling. :black101:

Now, if Miura can find the time to finish Berserk, that would be swell as well.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I got 3 bills in the mail, I had a rough day at work, and Miura has done it again. It all evens out.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Zewle posted:

Nice to know whatever happens in Berserk Ubik seems to keep his job.

I don't think I like this new thing from Miura, and the opening is gross and creepy. Its strange to see a protagonist that stout in a manga.

Yeah it starts off with really weird vibes from that little girl inviting the dude to peek up her dress and get peed on, but the fight part is pretty cool. It doesn't seem like she's human anyways so maybe it's supposed to be funny instead of fetishistic.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Man, anything to help Miura deal with his burnout. Also I love post-civilization scenarios.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

notZaar posted:

Yeah it starts off with really weird vibes from that little girl inviting the dude to peek up her dress and get peed on, but the fight part is pretty cool. It doesn't seem like she's human anyways so maybe it's supposed to be funny instead of fetishistic.

She's the ascended descendant of Bear Grylls is all.

The guy was licking a beetle later on anyway. This is somewhere between Mad Max the Pantheon and I Am Legend/Omega Man.

I just hope the series offers the catharsis he seeks. If not we'll get mini series every time he has a crisis of faith.

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
Man, I don't even know what the heck Miura is even drawing anymore. They're things my brain can't process. What the heck is that big thing supposed to be... Amazing.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
After reading, I can say that it's good, but surprisingly restrained. There was the bare minimum of context, and while the girl exposits a lot she doesn't lay out the where and when and such. We don't know who these two are, why they were looking for the tribe, where they came from, anything about the world they're in, and even less about themselves. I dunno, it's not really needed to enjoy the chapter, and we'll probably get all those answers next time, so I guess I was just expecting a mini-series to be in something of a hurry. Or something.

Andrigaar posted:

I just hope the series offers the catharsis he seeks. If not we'll get mini series every time he has a crisis of faith.

I have no problems with this.

lyricaldanichan
Jan 23, 2004

My Boredom Has Outshined The Sun
Ok, this is a good compromise for delaying Berserk for so long.
5 more parts of this beautiful manga and then more Berserk! YES!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Ideally, this will be about a dude killling giant monsters via wrestling.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I was hoping he was going to take him down and break his arms with some BJJ, but instead the second best thing happened.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Frankenstein Dad posted:

First chapter of Gigantomakhia has been translated.

It's pretty cool. Also, whoever compared it to that racist bug-people manga has a point.

It reminds me more of Dune than that manga, even though I've also read that.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
Nobody is going to say anything about how the bug person that got bodied looks similar to Silat's bodyguard?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Miura's monster designs are still awesome. And that thing that appeared at the end looks really cool.

Can't say I'm really engrossed in this story though, but maybe it'll pick up. Ho hum. One day Berserk will resume.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
There is a new chapter of Gigantomakhia

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Gigantomakhia/Vol-001-Ch-002-Read-Online?id=185528

I don't really know if I am liking it. The pacing seems off for a 6-chapter manga.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, and the weird fetishistic vibes were even more potent this time. :v:

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004
Yeah, uh... what the gently caress Miura.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I was happy if it was just a dude wrestling animal-people but man, not really liking the direction this is going.

I do love Muira's monster designs. Simple but with a lot of detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
On the bright side, a man rediscovered professional wrestling in the grim darkness of the post-apocalyptic future, which owns.