Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sex_Ferguson posted:

This is really loving good and I caught up to it in two days, but unfortunately the last 9 chapters still haven't been translated and now I am mad at you because it leaves off at the most heartbreaking part... and I am huge loving wuss for being so into it.
Least you get to binge it when the scanlator's almost done with it, jerk. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I did the same. Again, I need to stop reading unfinished series. To be honest I thought it'd be more about the boxing angle, but it still works as a less focused drama. It's interesting to compare the slightly less realistic art with I am a Hero, at least for the character designs. The buildings and objects are insanely detailed in both series.

I started reading Paradise Kiss. It hasn't grabbed me yet. Even if it isn't exactly school-focused, it still has a high schooler as a protagonist. I'd much rather read about a salarywoman in the same position.

Maybe I'd like Nana better? It's by the same creator and it's about adults.

Edit: It isn't finished/translated yet. Nooooooooooooo.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Nana is on indefinite hiatus because of the author's illness or something. It might never be finished, so I haven't bothered reading it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Aaaaaaand caught up in Taiyou no Ie.

It's a great story, but I think I liked it a little bit more when it was about the family drama (though obviously that is still in there) rather than Unrequited Love: The Manga.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Nate RFB posted:

Aaaaaaand caught up in Taiyou no Ie.

It's a great story, but I think I liked it a little bit more when it was about the family drama (though obviously that is still in there) rather than Unrequited Love: The Manga.
...but it's definitely not unrequited now, though? I mean, everyone was getting frustrated by the density of the main characters, but it seems something is actually happening now.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Captain Invictus posted:

...but it's definitely not unrequited now, though? I mean, everyone was getting frustrated by the density of the main characters, but it seems something is actually happening now.
That's not the case for Daiki, Chihiro, Oda, or Sugimoto though. Could even add the cousin into the picture as well. I think I would've preferred Hiro remaining more of Mao's guardian than an actual love interest.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Nate RFB posted:

That's not the case for Daiki, Chihiro, Oda, or Sugimoto though. Could even add the cousin into the picture as well. I think I would've preferred Hiro remaining more of Mao's guardian than an actual love interest.

True. Though I think that most everyone involved at least knowing the feelings of the others at this point is a good thing, and it seems Chihiro and Oda might be getting closer too. It was also interesting seeing Daiki and Hiro butting heads over Mao in a pretty significant way, rather than your typical romantic rivalry, they seem to treat each other as a serious threat which eventually motivated Hiro to make a move. Interested to see where it goes, definitely.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Unrequited Love: The Manga.

Honey & Clover :argh:

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

Chas McGill posted:

I started reading Paradise Kiss. It hasn't grabbed me yet. Even if it isn't exactly school-focused, it still has a high schooler as a protagonist. I'd much rather read about a salarywoman in the same position.

Maybe I'd like Nana better? It's by the same creator and it's about adults.

Edit: It isn't finished/translated yet. Nooooooooooooo.

IMO Parakiss is way overrated and Nana's the gold standard for shoujo (with a solid anime adaptation of the first half of the series if you're into that). Don't let the fact that Nana's not complete deter you, it was starting to wrap up when it went on hiatus because of Ai Yazawa's mystery illness so it's not like it just drops you midway.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Kakukaku Shikajika ch 6! Give up and start over

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Well holy poo poo. I just read Cheese in the Trap chapter 25 on Kissmanga and discovered that it's been scanlated up to chapter 61 on the scanlator's site, you just need to use a javascript bookmark thingy to auto-translate each chapter. Neat!

Chapter 25 though, is great. The artist is extremely good at capturing emotion in faces, and also making perfect wacky funny scene faces. The story's great too, though I hope they lay off the flashbacks, seems like there's one every single chapter.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!
I'm a big fan of Cheese in the Trap. I actually used follow it on a weekly basis, the Webtoon Live site used to have a CitT forum where a couple people would give a detailed summary of each week's chapter. When they changed the site, the forums died. Apparently they're trying to bring them back, but I guess it's ok because the series is on hiatus for a couple months.

coathat
May 21, 2007

I don't get how people can read Korean webcomics. They're just so incredibly ugly looking.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

coathat posted:

I don't get how people can read Korean webcomics. They're just so incredibly ugly looking.

Are you seriously saying that about Cheese in the Trap? It's not high-detail, but it's certainly good at conveying emotion and humor. And I much prefer something that can do that over your typical gigantic-eyed flowery sparkles shoujo junk.

coathat
May 21, 2007

The paneling and offensive amounts of blank space completely ruin them for me.

And huge rear end sparkly eyes are the loving best thing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Offensive amounts of blank space? There's a lot of blank space, but does it really bother you that much? Man, I'm glad I don't let stuff like that stop me from enjoying it. To each his own, I guess.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

coathat posted:

And huge rear end sparkly eyes are the loving best thing.
They're the worst and the #1 reason I won't read things. Blank space is awesome in comparison. Too many mangakas suffer from horror vacui and have no idea how to lay things out except cram as much stuff into each page as possible.

I read Sekine-kun up to the latest translation and enjoyed it. It's basically the reverse of Angel Densetsu - everyone wants to know him because he's gorgeous, yet his face is just as alienating as an ugly one in its own way. I'm finding I can't completely relate to a lot of characters in these romantic mangas because they're so bloody uptight, though. One of the things I like about Boys on the Run etc is that people actually gently caress, talk about sex, and act like (often despicable) humans. I'm not particularly interested in the expected protocol that must be followed to have an 'appropriate' relationship, or reading someone thinking "I wonder if it is OK to hold his/her hand!?!" again. In short, I think too many mangakas are virgins :(.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 22, 2013

coathat
May 21, 2007

Man I'm so glad this is getting translated.

I'm liking Boys, Please Kiss Him Instead of Me. http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Watashi-ga-Motete-Dousunda
It's a funny reverse harem series.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Chas McGill posted:

In short, I think too many mangakas are virgins :(.

Yeah, the vast majority of romance manga is clearly aimed at teenagers without any relationship experience to speak of. I think that the target audience is probably a bigger factor than the artists themselves being virgins/inexperienced, though.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

coathat posted:

I'm liking Boys, Please Kiss Him Instead of Me. http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Watashi-ga-Motete-Dousunda
It's a funny reverse harem series.

quote:

Serinuma Kae is a 2nd year high schooler, and is an avid fujoshi who secretly ships her classmates, Igarashi-kun and Nanashima-kun. The death of her favorite anime character causes her to become stressed--and loses weight rapidly. Now that Serinuma has became an attractive girl to her classmates, her snarky kouhai Shinomiya-kun, and her senpai Mutsumi, how is she going to deal with them...with her constant BL-filled, fujoshi mind?!

:catstare:

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
Maybe I'm just not hip to the jive.

Captain Invictus posted:

Well holy poo poo. I just read Cheese in the Trap chapter 25 on Kissmanga and discovered that it's been scanlated up to chapter 61 on the scanlator's site, you just need to use a javascript bookmark thingy to auto-translate each chapter. Neat!

Chapter 25 though, is great. The artist is extremely good at capturing emotion in faces, and also making perfect wacky funny scene faces. The story's great too, though I hope they lay off the flashbacks, seems like there's one every single chapter.

I'm pretty sure at the end of one of the chapters the artist mentions how he's laying out each chapter which is basically present->flashback->present, with the areas with black background representing the flashback. I guess (s)he wants to tell both events at the same time.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

I also feel weird reading it. I don't know, the concept of a girl who suddenly lost weight because her favourite character died and then, due to her losing weight, became popular with the boys just sounds wrong to me. I can't really explain why. I guess it's part of the humour, but it just rubs me the wrong way.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

toanoradian posted:

I also feel weird reading it. I don't know, the concept of a girl who suddenly lost weight because her favourite character died and then, due to her losing weight, became popular with the boys just sounds wrong to me. I can't really explain why. I guess it's part of the humour, but it just rubs me the wrong way.

You're not alone in that thought, I gave it a side eye too. It's probably because the weight loss is treated as a whacky side effect instead of you know, something that people try put a lot of effort into and body image can be a sensitive topic.

I have to say, I do like the main character's design. I think it's the eyebrows.

Chrysolith
Sep 13, 2008

toanoradian posted:

Magical weight loss is plot I really dislike, and this manga isn't the only one to use it either. I do like the art in Boys Kiss Him Instead Of Me, so I might keep reading it for a bit.

Speaking of fat female leads, has anyone else read Pochamani? I can't recall if it's been brought up here before, but it's a highschool romance about this chubby girl and her boyfriend who has a fat fetish. I know the plot sounds really sketchy, but it's actually a really cute comic. Early on the boyfriend says that he's liked other chubby girls in the past, but he likes his girlfriend more because she doesn't lose to her weight complex. She does have some self-esteem issues, but she starts to overcome them and her boyfriend is very supportive and overall I'd say it's handled fairly realistically. It's got some nice funny moments in there too.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Chrysolith posted:

Speaking of fat female leads, has anyone else read Pochamani? I can't recall if it's been brought up here before, but it's a highschool romance about this chubby girl and her boyfriend who has a fat fetish. I know the plot sounds really sketchy, but it's actually a really cute comic. Early on the boyfriend says that he's liked other chubby girls in the past, but he likes his girlfriend more because she doesn't lose to her weight complex. She does have some self-esteem issues, but she starts to overcome them and her boyfriend is very supportive and overall I'd say it's handled fairly realistically. It's got some nice funny moments in there too.

I read some of it and thought it was cute, but forgot to check for updates and never went back to it. Thanks for the reminder!

coathat
May 21, 2007

The best part of Pochamani is the sound effects. lovely thing is that the group translating it is going to quit after a couple more chapters.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Guys, guys, guess what fell through my letterbox this morning!

Five days early, lucky me.

On the book itself: I was told to expect a story about a prostitute with a pet crocodile in the Bubble Era and that's exactly what I got. Mission accomplished? It's pretty funny, and the translation's solid. Sad, too, in the end. The bitch killed Croc! :qq:

I rate this book Buy out of [Buy | Not Buy].

coathat
May 21, 2007

I'm so jealous. Hope it does well enough for them to put out more of her stuff.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

This is the best manga I've seen recently and it's made me re-read Kuragehime from the beginning just so I can cram in more of her work.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I am a bad person because I still haven't gotten around to reading Kuragehime (I watched the anime and it is one of my favorites though).

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
More Kakukaku Shikajika! It's ch. 7. The author probably feels obliged to make everything perfect since this comic is about her perfectionist teacher, and man she really is getting everything right.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Jitsu wa Watashi wa updates, continues to be cute and funny.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Christmas came early!

Taiyou no Ie 34

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun 46

Ah! My Goddess 300. That's right, 25 years worth of AMG. I had originally thought it was wrapping up, but based on Fujishima's comments on that first page I'm not so sure anymore! Here's to another 25 years.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Batoto and a couple of other manga reader sites is always oddly late on Ah My Goddess, since that chapter has been around the internet for a month now. Well, this one is better quality, but Ah My Goddess's weird updates between the speed group and the quality group always fool me into thinking it's a new chapter, when it's only a better version from the slower scanlation group.

Taiyou no Ie still remains one of my favorite ongoing shoujos though, even if it is full of everyone longing for each other.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
They used to post the speed scans, but they were both really lovely and overly confusing because they'd follow them up with the better ones later on as well. I'm fine with just waiting for the better ones.

I actually think it's been pretty good lately! This chapter in particular was fun!

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

coathat posted:

The best part of Pochamani is the sound effects. lovely thing is that the group translating it is going to quit after a couple more chapters.

I read the reason on the group's blog and it makes sense; disappointing that the plot apparently doesn't hold together though.

I went back and started from the beginning since it had been so long I couldn't remember where I left off and really there is a lot to like about this series (that was not meant to be a pun :gonk:). Some very relatable moments like the pool chapter (oh god swimsuit in public), trouble finding clothes that fit + having to chose between comfortable and cute and just in general her very realistic body issues and the way she is able to overcome those and be confident and like herself. Also the resignation she felt about never finding love because of her size -- I was hoping it was leading up to her learning that she in fact can have a relationship and can have all the normal feelings and desires that go with it. It was kind of refreshing to see a shoujo couple that can't keep their hands off each other vs 300 chapters and it's still awkward just to hold hands.

However, I couldn't help but think how much better all of that would be without the fat fetish plot device lingering over it like a fart in the room. Why would it have been so awful for him to just like her because he likes her? It was already made very clear that he is attracted to her as a person not just as a fat person, but the fact remains that the fetish is the reason he was drawn to her in the first place. If the chubby chaser gags had to remain in place it would have been easy enough to have that be the assumption made by others and hey there's another opportunity to point out another thing fat people have to deal with -- if you're in a relationship it clearly must be because your partner is a fat fetishist and not because they really like you or anything. :rolleyes:

I recognize that's asking a lot and I'm pretty happy that it manages to do the positive things that it has without being completely skeevy and offensive, so I'll just read whatever gets translated and will probably be glad that I can't read the rest.

edit:
http://crimson-flower.blogspot.com/2013/10/planning-for-2014-thanks-for-your-input.html
Explains their decision to put the series on hiatus, which is at least better than dropping it completely and hey maybe it won't be as bad as they think.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Nov 25, 2013

Chrysolith
Sep 13, 2008

Do you have a link to where the group says they're going to stop translating it? I took a look at their blog, but I didn't see anything. That's really a shame that they're stopping though, or that the plot starts going downhill. It's really hard to find much media where the male lead is the more attractive one and the female lead is fat, ugly, or really average (and actually are).

I wholeheartedly agree about the fat fetish thing. I wished it was tone-downed, or maybe it gradually disappeared as the series went on. I guess they could introduce another cute, chubby girl as a "love rival" that gets Tagami's attention, but that seems really cheap and cliche.

coathat
May 21, 2007

The fat fetish thing is the best part though. Take that away and he's nothing but the blandest love interest in history.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'm really enjoying Glass Mask a lot more than I thought I would. I'm on Volume 17 right now and I love everything about it. It falls into melodrama at times, but the plays are really well thought out and I love the struggles the main character goes through just to become that character. The love interest is creepy and I could do without him, but they're not shoving the pairing into the reader's faces yet.

This is everything that Skip Beat isn't. Go read this if you want a good acting manga to read.

The death of Maya's mom got to me way more than it should have. Maya's reaction to Mom's death was brutal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Koe no Katachi is so good I think I may make a thread for it. Two new chapters just came out and I've read one of them so far, and it's great. The lead character also says some great and unexpected things rather than dragging stuff out for 30 chapters of misunderstandings, admitting his past and his failures rather than dodging around them. He's trying to make up for his past and it's interesting, and now I hope they develop Shouko's backstory and thoughts a bit soon.