Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

gatz posted:

I know, but that's really the only interaction we're allowed to have with him.

:smith:

You can tell him his "killing the head vampire" plan won't work but that isn't very interesting for an LP, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Well, now that we've pretty much sealed Cooper's fate, we might as well go for the most interesting outcome - sic him on the President.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Man, do you really have to do screw with that poor bastard? :smith:
If you have to, send him after the President.

Don't send him after LaCroix, LaCroix is a Ventrue, a master of Dominate, he'll send him back at you; with a flamethrower.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

EphemeralToast posted:

I think that we should just be nice to the poor dumb thin-blooded vampire. That is a useful vote to make, right? :unsmith:

Yeah, ripping him off and sending him to go try to take on a much more powerful vampire seems particularly cruel. You might as well just kill him on the spot and get it over with.

Of the options presented, I say go with the president.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Send him after the President because OBAMACARE is like vampirism right? :argh:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Rockopolis posted:

Don't send him after LaCroix, LaCroix is a Ventrue, a master of Dominate, he'll send him back at you; with a flamethrower.

Odds are that LaCroix would not think too much about some random thinblood running into his estates and getting quickly made into mincemeat by his big ape of a bodyguard. Guy probably deals with worse poo poo on a regular basis.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Tehan posted:

Yeah, gunshots are bashing damage for vampires. Considering vampires are basically sentient, magical blood piloting a corpse like a mecha suit, anything that relies on organ trauma is barking up the wrong tree entirely.

Wait wait wait
What would happen during an attempted blood transfusion?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
And without functioning kidneys wouldn't a vampire need to have a regular dialysis?

e: Also a vote for president. If a crazy stake weilding madman attacks the president because he thinks he's a vampire, no one will believe him and thus discredit any further claims of vampirism. It's really in the best interests of the masquerade.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Nov 22, 2013

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Stake wielding, bubblegum-chewing madman. :eng101:

If only you could have sold him sunglasses, as well.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Umbilical Lotus posted:

Because, much like the apartment and everything in it, it was probably something LaCroix or his goons found in a dump somewhere.

Also, if this game is set in 2004, then the president would be George H. W. Bush. The guy is definitely some sort of Malkavian hivelord. Sic the thinblood on the President.

H. W. is the father. Junior only has the one middle name.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Send him after El Presidente.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

While LaCroix might have more immediately interesting consequences, I'm gonna have to go with the president.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

TINA TURNER posted:

Wait wait wait

If the vampire's the donor, you'd essentially took a scientific approach to making a ghoul. If the vampire is receiving blood, it's the scientific equivalent to drinking blood. At least that's what I think would happen. While the vitae is capable of many things, it doesn't turn mortals into puppets - at least you cannot directly control them that way.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

TINA TURNER posted:

Wait wait wait

You run into the same problem they ran into with "28 Days Later" and their Radical Alternate Ending.

"What do you do, clean out every capillary?"

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Oh yeah I forgot how weird the WESP patch could be. Isn't there like a "bugfix only" mode on that thing?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Send him to the President, because I've never done that and I want to know if he's mentioned in the newscast afterwards.

double nine posted:

However, if the player character is male, then seduction is nigh-useless, because it can only be used succesfully on female npcs and 1 guy; this one.

Well, strictly speaking male Seduction does work on the shirtless guard at the beach house. Just not in the way you'd expect.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

The President. Dubya said "bring 'em on" so the on will be brought.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

insanityv2 posted:

Oh yeah I forgot how weird the WESP patch could be. Isn't there like a "bugfix only" mode on that thing?

Yes. There's two modes, basic and plus. Basic is bugfix-only, plus is bugfix+new poo poo.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

If the vampire's the donor, you'd essentially took a scientific approach to making a ghoul. If the vampire is receiving blood, it's the scientific equivalent to drinking blood. At least that's what I think would happen. While the vitae is capable of many things, it doesn't turn mortals into puppets - at least you cannot directly control them that way.

So… could a vampire smuggle some of his blood into a real blood center to create ghouls en masse, or would that make the higher generations angry?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

TINA TURNER posted:

So… could a vampire smuggle some of his blood into a real blood center to create ghouls en masse, or would that make the higher generations angry?

I'm not sure anyone would end up with enough vitae in them to actually do much more than feel funny for a bit.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

TINA TURNER posted:

It takes a certain amount of blood and expenditure of Willpower to create and maintain ghouls, so not really.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Feinne posted:

I'm not sure anyone would end up with enough vitae in them to actually do much more than feel funny for a bit.

Tzimisce can turn into vitae :getin:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

LeJackal posted:

It takes a certain amount of blood and expenditure of Willpower to create and maintain ghouls, so not really.

I think that's just the new system. Old one was just give blood->make ghoul. A blood transfusion would enable the ghoul to not have to actually drink the blood, but otherwise its no different.

Now, being a ghoul is just a physical condition. The person becomes a bit tougher and stronger and stops aging, but outside of the feelings engendered by the blood bond (if blood was received several times) there's no special relationship between a ghoul and the donating vamp. So making a bunch of people a ghoul doesn't do much except expend a bunch of vitae on nothing. If you were trying to save a bunch of lives then it could be a useful trick, I guess.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Feinne posted:

That's not how how blood banks work, they don't put blood into one central vat, it's doled out bag by bag.

If someone got transfused with with a pint of vampire blood they'd probably feel really healthy for a couple of weeks and chalk it up to recovering from whatever injury caused them to need blood in the first place.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I seem to recall a story about a nosferatu who dripped some of his blood into the sewer water and got himself a horde of rat-ghouls. I'm not sure which edition it was from, though.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3

double nine posted:

:science: This is one of the very few gay men in the game. A female player with points in seduction will see a seduction line to go meet in the alley, but the guy will brush her off. A male with seduction will be successful in luring him into the alleyway.

That brings me to a pet peeve about this game: the seduction skill. Y'see, if the player character is female, Seduction is a very useful dialogue skill. Many male npcs will have seduction dialogue options, and many female npcs also have seduction dialogue options (you might say that many women in this game are bisexual). However, if the player character is male, then seduction is nigh-useless, because it can only be used succesfully on female npcs and 1 guy; this one.

Not quite - there's at least one other one later on (he responds favorably for men, not so much for the ladies) but, spoilers. Seduction for men is pretty worthless, all things considered.

Also, we are sending this poor sap after the loving president.

Erwin the German fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Nov 23, 2013

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
When it comes to down to it Persuasion is the probably the best social stat you can put points in no matter who you play as.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I seem to recall a story about a nosferatu who dripped some of his blood into the sewer water and got himself a horde of rat-ghouls. I'm not sure which edition it was from, though.

It's not just a one-off mention, it's described as a fairly common practice for Nosferatu in the Clanbooks. Animalism plus a lack of prying eyes plus paranoia gives a lot of time and motivation to get creative with ghouls. Rats are just the start of it :gonk:

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Alright, where was I...?

The Path of Lilith

Eve was not Adam's first wife. Adam was made from the earth, and so too did God create a mate for him. Because she was created equally, she wanted equal power to that of Adam. For her presumption, she was cast out of Eden. In the lands east of Eden, Nod, Lilith learned magic and grew powerful in its practices. But she faced many hardships from blasted earth, scorching sun, and cruelly edged rocks. The Path of Lilith teaches vampires to face such suffering and, in doing so, grow strong.

Lilith made her own garden, a tribute to or mockery of Eden. The sharp barbs and stinging plants there are relived by Lilins, the followers of the path (also called Bahari), in metaphor. Lilith was treated viciously by God, by Adam, by Lucifer and the angels who came to her in Nod, and eventually by Caine himself. She taught him to endure his curse, his suffering, and still he cast her aside and left her. Lilins embrace this cruelty. The entire path is basically another form of survival, like the Path of the Beast. Except instead of overcoming adversity, they stoically endure and become stronger for it.

There is no fear or hesitation for a Lilin. They face all challenges and dangers as they would anything, accepting that this is what has come to them and is something to weather no matter the cost. There is a scholastic slant to the path, in that it's a sin to not challenge "false" scriptures of mortal and kindred beliefs alike, but the core of the path is to endure, and share your pain so that others might learn to do the same.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
Lilith plays a pretty big role in Caine's story, which the Chronicle of Caine (which I transcribed from Redemption) doesn't cover.

Tehan posted:

It's not just a one-off mention, it's described as a fairly common practice for Nosferatu in the Clanbooks. Animalism plus a lack of prying eyes plus paranoia gives a lot of time and motivation to get creative with ghouls. Rats are just the start of it :gonk:

In Redemption, ghoul alligators were an enemy in the New York Sewers.

ArchWizard posted:

The President. Dubya said "bring 'em on" so the on will be brought.

"Why do they hate us, when we're so good?" :stonklol:

gatz fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Nov 23, 2013

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Lilith is also pretty important in at least one of the Gehenna scenarios, where I'm pretty sure she teams up with Lucifer against Caine and offers the PCs an out to the fact that vampires are doomed by becoming things like her instead.

Because when you're Lilith and Lucifer suddenly Caine's character sheet no longer reads 'YOU LOSE' (does someone have that image, because it's pretty hilarious). For those who don't remember the story, there's actually a good reason why you lose no matter what. Part of Caine's curse punishes anyone who'd injure him, so if you try and kill him you'll die from God's own wrath long before you succeed.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Nov 23, 2013

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Feinne posted:

Lilith is also pretty important in at least one of the Gehenna scenarios, where I'm pretty sure she teams up with Lucifer against Caine and offers the PCs an out to the fact that vampires are doomed by becoming things like her instead.

Yeah, I think that scenario is Caine and Lilith duking it out in an alley, and the players can help one or the other (or neither).

Gehenna is a very silly thing.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

OAquinas posted:

Yeah, I think that scenario is Caine and Lilith duking it out in an alley, and the players can help one or the other (or neither).

Gehenna is a very silly thing.

Yeah, and I'm pretty sure Caine loses no matter what, at which point Abel's ghost shows up (I think the intent is that Abel is the first Wraith?) and basically tells Caine all he ever had to do was say he was sorry for what he did. At which point Caine basically tells him he can cram it straight up his ghost rear end and Abel just sort of facepalms and leaves.

One unifying factor of every Gehenna in which he plays any role at all is that Caine is a COLOSSAL rear end in a top hat.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Feinne posted:

Yeah, and I'm pretty sure Caine loses no matter what, at which point Abel's ghost shows up (I think the intent is that Abel is the first Wraith?) and basically tells Caine all he ever had to do was say he was sorry for what he did. At which point Caine basically tells him he can cram it straight up his ghost rear end and Abel just sort of facepalms and leaves.

One unifying factor of every Gehenna in which he plays any role at all is that Caine is a COLOSSAL rear end in a top hat.

The other option is to have Caine actually, FINALLY, accept his brother's forgiveness. In that case, Caine immediately dissolves into ash in Abel's arms. Lilith and her assembled Antediluvians just sort of stand around with the PCs awkwardly like "welp v:shobon:v "

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:
So the implication I'm getting from oWoD is that God is real, he is strong, and he did stuff. What's the explanation for the lack of God-derived miracles/powers versus those generated by truth faith?

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

A Curvy Goonette posted:

So the implication I'm getting from oWoD is that God is real, he is strong, and he did stuff. What's the explanation for the lack of God-derived miracles/powers versus those generated by truth faith?

God may be a gigantic jerk who enjoys watching people gently caress up.

God may be an Archmage, which means that due to the Gauntlet/Consensus/Technocracy, he can no longer pull off miracles on Earth anymore without eating a ton of paradox.

Those are the two most popular explanations.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:
Yeah but if he's...you know...God, why would he care about paradox when he makes the rules.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

quote:

I don't recall offhand if Paths count as far as getting out of Torpor, but I don't think they do.
Being on a Path has the same mechanics as being Humanity 3 (or lower, if your Path rating is less than 3), save that you "ping" on the radar of every supernatural critter that notices you on account of how you and your Beast are now all big buddies. That covers, I believe, not only the amount of blood required to look human but also your max dicepool during the day as well as how long you're in torpor. I think.

As an aside, concerning the Beast. It scares the -poo poo- out of most Banes (evil spirits, from the Werewolf game). They like the suffering a vampire causes but will rarely if ever bother to possess them like they would a normal human. A Bane possessing a human gets you a fomori, some twisted monster that's warped in to a living weapon. A Bane possessing a vampire, meanwhile, becomes the Beast's prison bitch. This is only a thing because White Wolf has no sense of scale and has multiple 6th Generation or lower Vampires sitting on the Board of Directors for Pentex.

quote:

If any of you have played Redemption, Vukodlak's plan was to arise and diablerize the antediluvians to prevent Gehenna. How he would do this is a mystery. Why the antedilvians would want to diablerize their offspring is a mystery, as well.
Depends on the antediluvian. Some of them would think that vitae tastes sweetest (and it does!). Others would probably consider their clans to be abject failures in the modern era and not worth their time - on top of how they wouldn't think like how a human would. Cappadocius, for example, looked up from its studies one day in the Middle Ages and discovered that most of its childer were either illiterate or non-devout and had breed so quickly that they were draining the neighboring population dry.

It responded by summoning ALL of its clan to the city, where it spent a week asking each individual Cainite questions. Those that passed were allowed to go free, while the vast majority were thrown in to what was basically a giant pit and sealed there with a curse.

Everyone kind of towed the party line after that incident.

quote:

If this is set in 2004, why does our computer look like something Strong Bad would use?
I -think- the Technocracy was active in holding back some stuff because humanity wasn't ready for it - seriously, a hydrogen-cell battery is treated as a 5-point Wonder, which means you need to have a 5 in two different spheres to make the drat thing.

But, my personal favorite theory? Grumpy Elders who blinked for a moment and discovered that suddenly everyone's riding around in these horseless buggies panicked and decided to do their damnest to keep things the way they were because god drat it oil lamps were good enough back in their day :arghfist::drac:

There's a Harry Houdini movie serial (starring, of all people, Harry Houdini) that kind of covered something like that, where a rich tycoon would go around and buy up the patents from inventors on the cheap and then make sure the things never got built because he was a douche.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Getting into the Demon line here, but basically God created the world and the Angels administered it. Perfect concentric spheres, celestial clockwork, bountiful earth, etc etc...

Then Man came, and the angels were jealous. That sprouted the seeds of the first murder, which basically broke the universe and accelerated the schism of Angels between Lucifer's camp and the loyalist angels. Fast forward a few more years/centuries and you get all out war between what are effectively demigods wielding the power of creation itself.

God meanwhile is just presumably watching all this. In the end Hell is created as a prison in the deep shadowlands and all but one of the rebel angels are sent there. God hasn't done much of anything since (that can be traced to him/her/it).

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Nov 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Yeah, the Demon sourcebook gives the impression that God and the proper angels are just straight up gone as far as they can tell. This is likely part of the rather elaborate punishment that was levied on Lucifer, namely that he was not sent to hell at all and instead has been forced to work tirelessly to keep his comrades in hell lest they destroy everything they fought so hard for in their madness.

• Locked thread