Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

The item can sure as hell be sold unless you're taking a manager home with you to supervise your use of the product.

I wouldn't put it past them, it is walmart after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

thelightguy posted:

The item can sure as hell be sold unless you're taking a manager home with you to supervise your use of the product.

I wouldn't put it past them, it is walmart after all.

I don't have a discount card yet, so a manager has to be at the register to approve the purchase. I mean I could find something someone wanted from walmart locally and buy it.

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

Something inside me calls out passionately to the landscape I saw - the end of the sea of corruption to which you led me.
I'm really into saving time these days, so I was wondering if there was any program, extension, or anything that can speed up a video you're watching on the Internet by, say, 5% - 10%? Downloaded, or streamed, doesn't have to be both. I'm looking for something that would let you increase the speed to where everything is still watchable (unlike fast-forward). I've googled this, and at the very least there doesn't seem to be an extension for it.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Demonicpoodle posted:

I'm really into saving time these days, so I was wondering if there was any program, extension, or anything that can speed up a video you're watching on the Internet by, say, 5% - 10%? Downloaded, or streamed, doesn't have to be both. I'm looking for something that would let you increase the speed to where everything is still watchable (unlike fast-forward). I've googled this, and at the very least there doesn't seem to be an extension for it.

For downloaded videos VLC certainly has this functionality through the right-click menu (Playback -> Speed). Hopefully that helps?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

FreshFeesh posted:

For downloaded videos VLC certainly has this functionality through the right-click menu (Playback -> Speed). Hopefully that helps?

Seconding this.

I watched a series of video lessons about an IT topic that was presented by a very dull-sounding guy. Bumping the speed up to 115% made it much more tolerable, without feelign rushed.

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

Something inside me calls out passionately to the landscape I saw - the end of the sea of corruption to which you led me.

FreshFeesh posted:

spog posted:

Seconding this.

I watched a series of video lessons about an IT topic that was presented by a very dull-sounding guy. Bumping the speed up to 115% made it much more tolerable, without feelign rushed.

Ahhh, I forgot all about VLC. I've been a Media Player Classic guy for a while. I'll use VLC when speed is my main concern. Thank ya! I figure a 10% boost is so unnoticeable that it'd almost always be worth it.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm German, Google likes to show me German webpages, which means that my usual workflow when visiting, for example, Wikipedia, is
- google something
- click on Wikipedia link
- click on link to English version

This is annoying. I almost always prefer the original version if it is in English, and Google defaults me to the German one - unless I'm in Portugal right now, in which case it localises me to Portuguese results, which is bad because I don't speak Portuguese. Is it somehow possible to avoid just this part of Google's result optimisation process, directing me to location-neutral results? All I can find is tips on how to set it to a specific location, there must be some better way than claiming I'm living in the Uk.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

Crankit posted:

Why are farts funny, if you think about it they shouldn't, a fart as I understand things is a small volume of gas released from the anus as the result of anaerobic digestion in the intestine, and it smells of poo poo. By rights this shouldn't be humourous at all it should be an unpleasant thing that just happens sometimes.

You're right in a sense. I'm not sure how many people realize that farts are really what you've described. The danger is thinking that farting all the time is normal and healthy. I don't believe it is. When I'm eating a constant diet of food that's right for my body then I have little to zero gas, and I feel better. If I throw in something horrible like cheese in there then I'll be farting my rear end in a top hat off, which I interpret as my body telling me, "Hey, no more of that food, buddy." It's not straight black and white as that as your body also needs to adjust to healthy foods as well because it lacks the proper gut bacteria to digest properly. There have been comparisons done of gut flora in African kids somewhere eating native foods (no western processed crap) and then the average British city kid who had horrible gut flora. If I have smelly gas attacks after everything I eat then I would assume I'm doing something wrong.

But farts can be funny. I find them the funniest when people just acknowledge them 100% and send out a warning rather than the opposite, which is an awkward, smelly silence of "whodunnit".

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Cingulate posted:

I'm German, Google likes to show me German webpages, which means that my usual workflow when visiting, for example, Wikipedia, is
- google something
- click on Wikipedia link
- click on link to English version

This is annoying. I almost always prefer the original version if it is in English, and Google defaults me to the German one - unless I'm in Portugal right now, in which case it localises me to Portuguese results, which is bad because I don't speak Portuguese. Is it somehow possible to avoid just this part of Google's result optimisation process, directing me to location-neutral results? All I can find is tips on how to set it to a specific location, there must be some better way than claiming I'm living in the Uk.

Set up a custom search. In Firefox, here is what you'd do:

1) Go to http://en.wikipedia.org
2) Right click in search box, click "Create custom search"
3) In the box that appears, the important field is the third one. Type wiki or ew (english wiki) or any other abbreviation you can easily type + remember
4) Save, and from now on you can type, for example, wiki angela merkel in the address bar and it'll pull up their wiki page (assuming you got the name right) or return the english wikipedia search page with relevant results.

I'm sure you can set up custom searches in other browsers too, but FF is the only one I can specifically speak to.

Obviously, this won't help for vague searches where Google would be better ("wiki largest ball of yarn" gives you much better results from google than from the wiki search engine) so it's not perfect but for any topics you know how they'll be listed (like the Angela Merkel example, or Apocalypse Now, or Intestinal Flora) it'll be great.

e: Rereading, it looks like you're not asking for wikipedia specifically. If you don't want to set your location to the UK, one thing you might try is, in Chrome, setting your default language to English.
http://www.ehow.com/how_5846482_change-chrome-default-language-english.html
Since Chrome was offer to translate all non-native-language pages automatically, hopefully this will get you pidgin english. Firefox can do this with an add-on, I use Quick Translator -- can do selected text or entire pages.
Obviously it's not as good as getting native English results, but between this and my first fix (which you can use on other pages too obviously, though I don't know if it will work for Google -- they might redirect you anyway) it might be a workable solution.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Nov 22, 2013

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I've already set everything to English, that makes things better, but not by much. I'm also quite often searching for things where I don't even know that the Wiki page, or which Wiki page, would give the best result (and I'm using Safari, which requires add-ons for custom keyword searches). Aw shucks, I'll see if pretending I'm in the Uk will make things better in the long run. Thank you though.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Dudebro posted:

You're right in a sense. I'm not sure how many people realize that farts are really what you've described. The danger is thinking that farting all the time is normal and healthy. I don't believe it is. When I'm eating a constant diet of food that's right for my body then I have little to zero gas, and I feel better. If I throw in something horrible like cheese in there then I'll be farting my rear end in a top hat off, which I interpret as my body telling me, "Hey, no more of that food, buddy." It's not straight black and white as that as your body also needs to adjust to healthy foods as well because it lacks the proper gut bacteria to digest properly. There have been comparisons done of gut flora in African kids somewhere eating native foods (no western processed crap) and then the average British city kid who had horrible gut flora. If I have smelly gas attacks after everything I eat then I would assume I'm doing something wrong.

But farts can be funny. I find them the funniest when people just acknowledge them 100% and send out a warning rather than the opposite, which is an awkward, smelly silence of "whodunnit".

It's not exactly an issue of horrible, per se. Farts get caused from gas released by bacteria in your intestine. When you eat something your body has trouble breaking down and it gets there, these bacteria start reproducing and processing whatever it is and the gases are the by product is a fart. Obviously heavily processed foods can cause this, but perfectly natural foods that are good for you like beans and cabbage will also do the same.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Cingulate posted:

I've already set everything to English, that makes things better, but not by much. I'm also quite often searching for things where I don't even know that the Wiki page, or which Wiki page, would give the best result (and I'm using Safari, which requires add-ons for custom keyword searches). Aw shucks, I'll see if pretending I'm in the Uk will make things better in the long run. Thank you though.
Have you set your Google language settings?

On google.com, click "Settings" in the lower-right and then "Search Settings" from the menu that pops up. Click "Languages" and then select your preferred language.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Douche4Sale posted:

It's not exactly an issue of horrible, per se. Farts get caused from gas released by bacteria in your intestine. When you eat something your body has trouble breaking down and it gets there, these bacteria start reproducing and processing whatever it is and the gases are the by product is a fart. Obviously heavily processed foods can cause this, but perfectly natural foods that are good for you like beans and cabbage will also do the same.

Farts are also caused by swallowing air when you eat. According to this video I watched the other day, those airy farts make up a "large portion" of a person's overall gas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btV4K9JMVEQ

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Are seasons 8 and 9 of the X-Files even worth watching? I'm afraid they might ruin the first 7 for me.

e: Especially since I already know the real-world reasons why Mulder becomes a minor character

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Have you set your Google language settings?

On google.com, click "Settings" in the lower-right and then "Search Settings" from the menu that pops up. Click "Languages" and then select your preferred language.
Yes, that's all set to English already.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Crankit posted:

Why are farts funny, if you think about it they shouldn't, a fart as I understand things is a small volume of gas released from the anus as the result of anaerobic digestion in the intestine, and it smells of poo poo. By rights this shouldn't be humourous at all it should be an unpleasant thing that just happens sometimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hCFdTz_CAg

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

Dudebro posted:

This is the most ridiculous tripe I've read in a long time.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

c0ldfuse posted:

This is the most ridiculous tripe I've read in a long time.

Farting all the time isn't normal and healthy. Dudebro believes it to be so. :colbert:

Wikipedia says the normal range is anywhere between a half liter and 1.5 liters per day spread across 8-20 "flatus episodes".

Also, he may want to be checked out by a doctor. Excessive gas caused by cheese consumption could be a sign of lactose intolerance.

dr. madlove
Jul 21, 2008

spog posted:

Mods got tired of modding it, so made it a free-for-all and say it is permanent.

Hopefully they will rename it '4chan-lite' to be a more accurate title.

That's crazy. Why was this considered given that we have FYAD? Does the fact that there's no longer a general discussion board affect the site revenue? How the heck did Lowtax come this decision?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Lactose intolerance is pretty normal though. After weaning age, your body stops (and is supposed to stop) making the enzyme to break down milk sugar. Bacteria in your gut take over, and produce gas as a byproduct.

That said, cheese with any age on it should not have lactose in it as it breaks down in the aging process.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

dr. madlove posted:

That's crazy. Why was this considered given that we have FYAD? Does the fact that there's no longer a general discussion board affect the site revenue? How the heck did Lowtax come this decision?

I know it's easy to look at new GBS and say "wow it's FYAD 2.0" but take a step back and remember what it was like before.

The original discussion starts here and goes on for many, many pages.

Alternately, you could read the post history of these two users in that thread after Nov. 1st and try to interpret what I'm trying to say.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3531156&userid=192300
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3531156&userid=91217

Lastly, there is this.

Lowtax, in the SAClopedia posted:

FYAD is the forum I spend the most of my time in because, in my opinion, it has the funniest posters and the greatest sense of humor. People who "don't get" FYAD are the ones who should stay out and stop from posting dictionary definitions of it.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Would a house shaped like a cone, made out of a really durable material like cement resist a tornado better?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

b0nes posted:

Would a house shaped like a cone, made out of a really durable material like cement resist a tornado better?

To your specific point idk, but my innate pedanticism forces me to point out that one wouldn't use cement as a primary construction material; rather, one would use concrete. Cement is more like mortar, a binder to hold materials together. Easiest way to remember this imo is that it's a glue like the rubber cement you used in grade school.

At a guess -- it might be better but it would lose a lot of space (the cone area is pretty much all wasted space, and every floor will be smaller than if the walls were vertical rather than slanted in at a 30 degree angle or whatnot). While tornadoes are scary, they likely affect less than .1% of homes and only even threaten any individual home even in high-tornado-risk areas probably once every several years, whereas losing out on useable living space (and being ugly as sin to boot; check out Bucharest for an example of "concrete -- and how!" as a building philosophy) would affect the homeowner every day.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Cingulate posted:

Yes, that's all set to English already.

have you tried going to

google.com/ncr

?

dr. madlove
Jul 21, 2008

Manslaughter posted:

I know it's easy to look at new GBS and say "wow it's FYAD 2.0" but take a step back and remember what it was like before.

The original discussion starts here and goes on for many, many pages.

Alternately, you could read the post history of these two users in that thread after Nov. 1st and try to interpret what I'm trying to say.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3531156&userid=192300
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3531156&userid=91217

Lastly, there is this.

Cheers mate. This is exactly what I was looking for :)

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

dr. madlove posted:

I don't know, is GBS more terrible as D&D lite or FYAD lite?

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

What is the name or reason for that sound effect that you hear at the beginning of a lot of 90s alternative rock songs? Examples: Dinosaur Jr's "Not You Again" or Nirvana's "Breed". It sounds like a black hole starting in the output jack of a guitar amp.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

b0nes posted:

Intuitively, the more streamlined, the better, so a dome would be better than a cone. The shallower the angle where it meets the ground, the better, as well. So something like a trapezoid or the top 10% of a sphere.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I don't know, is GBS more terrible as D&D lite or FYAD lite?

I don't want to get chatting about gibbis too much, but I go through there about twice a day and just open every no effort, low content, and misspelled thread and vote it a 1 if it's not actually funny.
My question is this: does that do anything? For some reason I always assumed that if a thread got a low enough rating it got gassed.
But I just realized I don't even know if that's how the gas chamber works. Is that even true or is it mods that gas?

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Very Strange Things posted:

I don't want to get chatting about gibbis too much, but I go through there about twice a day and just open every no effort, low content, and misspelled thread and vote it a 1 if it's not actually funny.
My question is this: does that do anything? For some reason I always assumed that if a thread got a low enough rating it got gassed.
But I just realized I don't even know if that's how the gas chamber works. Is that even true or is it mods that gas?

Mods gas threads. That's why you see long-standing threads that have 1 or 2 stars, like the Odd Future thread in NMD, that are just plain terrible.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

b0nes posted:

Probably the best tornado survival house would be a reinforced-concrete dome, assuming going underground isn't an option. I think some people might not want to go underground due to the risk of your exit being blocked by the debris of all your neighbours inferior destroyed houses.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

What is the name or reason for that sound effect that you hear at the beginning of a lot of 90s alternative rock songs? Examples: Dinosaur Jr's "Not You Again" or Nirvana's "Breed". It sounds like a black hole starting in the output jack of a guitar amp.

Pickup hum? Not sure if it has a more specific name.

Or maybe sustain is a more accurate term?
http://www.sustainiac.com/aboutsus.htm

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Nov 23, 2013

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Those are two different things that sound pretty similar. The opening of Breed is just Cobain hitting the strings and letting them ring out, feeding back slightly. The sound at the start of Not You Again might not even be a guitar sound, I'm not sure.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Mods gas threads. That's why you see long-standing threads that have 1 or 2 stars, like the Odd Future thread in NMD, that are just plain terrible.

I thought that in most forums (other than review forums) a thread getting a low enough rating would also gas it?

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
What is the name for the little skateboard looking thing that you roll under a car on to work on it? I tried Googling "skateboard looking car thing" to no avail. And do they come in different sizes?

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

It is the first time setting up a paypal and was looking up a few things while my account becomes fully verified. It says it costs a flat fee of 3.4% + 20p per transaction to send money from your debit card to another person's paypal, but I cannot seem to find info on if it costs anything to put money into your own account through a debit card. So if I am understanding right, I could get money from my debit card, put it into my paypal account and pay someone through paypal instead to avoid that cost?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

poopkitty posted:

What is the name for the little skateboard looking thing that you roll under a car on to work on it? I tried Googling "skateboard looking car thing" to no avail. And do they come in different sizes?

They're called creepers, and there's a pretty wide variety.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Samael posted:

It is the first time setting up a paypal and was looking up a few things while my account becomes fully verified. It says it costs a flat fee of 3.4% + 20p per transaction to send money from your debit card to another person's paypal, but I cannot seem to find info on if it costs anything to put money into your own account through a debit card. So if I am understanding right, I could get money from my debit card, put it into my paypal account and pay someone through paypal instead to avoid that cost?

Are you able to link the bank account instead of the actual debit card? You can transfer money from person to person via your bank account through PayPal for zero fees.

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

Theres probably a better place to ask this but I'm trying to remember the name of a twitter user that I believe was someone from SA. His picture was a cartoon alien looking thing that looked like a person that was missing it's skin. His tweets had a very dark/surreal humor to them. One of them I vaguely remember is something about Letterman's Top 10 after the apocalypse just kept on going and is now in the 1000s.

edit: Found it. UtilityLimb.

punch drunk fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Nov 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
This might be better suited for goon doctor, but I'll ask here first.

What can I do about foot pains? I stand for 7:30 a day as an overnight stocker at walmart. My current foot wear are a pair of tredsafes I bought when I started almost two months ago now. Every morning when I wake up and stand my feet and ankles are in really bad pain. I haven't been experiencing this for no longer than 2 1/2 weeks. The pain on my foot is right where my arch end on the front pads of my foot.