Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Josef bugman posted:

Its kind of terrifying in its own way, you look at all the stuff you do and look back in history and think "thank god I am not an arse like back then!" and then suddenly realising that a lot of the stuff that we call horrifying is so only from a cultural context. Its kind of scary really.

Yeah, sometimes I wonder what kind of stuff we do casually today without thinking about it will be considered archaic and horrifying to people thousands of years from now.

Fracking for a start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
I just finished reading the Iliad (again), and upon browsing the wikipedia article for it, found that apparently the Iliad is one of the lynch pins of Bicameralism. Is this guy insane or what?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Ainsley McTree posted:

Fracking for a start

Not even Fracking. Imagine if in less than a century there are people proudly proclaiming that "Furry is okay!" for mayoral elections or higher, or that suddenly keep pets is considered an act of slavery. I mean it could happen, societal mores are changing pretty god-drat quickly.

And yeah, what? Does Achilles have a long chat in the midst of butchering people about the problems of a one party state?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I always get bit :stare: when I remember that the Romans had advertisements almost exactly like modern ones.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Agean90 posted:

I always get bit :stare: when I remember that the Romans had advertisements almost exactly like modern ones.

I remember a segment on NPR a few years back that said that ads for Sumerian beer had been unearthed.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Read something (may have been in this thread?)about how when BBC/HBO were making their Rome series they had to scrap plans to include the (historically accurate) "commercials" that were presented by town-crier type guys to the audience during the intermissions of Gladiatorial games. Apparently test audiences didn't understand that this was a real thing, and thought it was some satire of modern TV.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There was a scene cut from the movie Spartacus where Spartacus would've been doing a celebrity endorsement of olive oil.

If only the Romans had better printing technology, then they could cover their gladiators in logos instead of letting them go fight shirtless.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

There was a scene cut from the movie Spartacus where Spartacus would've been doing a celebrity endorsement of olive oil.

If only the Romans had better printing technology, then they could cover their gladiators in logos instead of letting them go fight shirtless.

I personally would love to see the equivalent of the crazy "come and worship at our mega-church" style adverts done with Roman Gods, I mean you'd have to have used most of the beef territory of south america to make white bulls, but still.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Oberleutnant posted:

Read something (may have been in this thread?)about how when BBC/HBO were making their Rome series they had to scrap plans to include the (historically accurate) "commercials" that were presented by town-crier type guys to the audience during the intermissions of Gladiatorial games. Apparently test audiences didn't understand that this was a real thing, and thought it was some satire of modern TV.

That was cut from Gladiator (and celebrity endorsements by gladiators, both of which were common), I don't know if Rome was going to do the same thing.

An ad I was able to dig up:

"Brought to you by Decimus Lucretius Satrius Valens, permanent priest of Nero Caesar, son of Augustus, twenty pairs of gladiators. And presented by Decimus Lucretius, son of Valens, ten pairs of gladiators. They’ll fight at Pompeii from the sixth day before the ides of April, through the day before. There will be a standard venatio [animal fights or men hunting animals] and awnings [to provide shade for spectators]."

Google is supplying piles of poo poo instead of any more ads, but there's an example anyway.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 22, 2013

Paxicon
Dec 22, 2007
Sycophant, unless you don't want me to be
HBO Rome does have the ads by the towncrier, "True Roman Bread, for True Romans" and so on. But none during the gladiatorial fights as far as I remember.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
There's also been ads found in Pompeii graffiti among thousands of other, often mundane, sometimes hilarious, writings. If you want to see how people then were pretty much like people now, look up some of the Pompeii graffiti.

quote:

A note to a jeweler:

Gemmam velim fieri hora nona.

"I should like my jewel to be ready at 3 o’clock" (CIL IV #1698 from Tanzer, 54).

quote:

Usually, graffiti about particular businesses occur near the establishment that it refers to. Outside of one dive bar in Pompeii is written:

Talia te fallant utinam mendacia copo, tu vendes aquam et bibes ipse merum.

"Would that you pay for all your tricks, innkeeper. You sell us water and keep the good wine for yourself." (CIL IV #3948 from Tanzer, 47-48)

quote:

With humor, in a bar in Herculaneum, next to a drawing of a phallus:

Mansveta Tene.

"Handle with care." (Deiss, 183)

quote:

And the women did not leave out their sexual advice:

"If you’re a mere tot in size, stay on top, straight-backed and head up." (Lindsay, 242)

"But no matter what, it’s right to let your hair down. And throw your head back. But if you sag and all that, face-down." (Lindsay, 242)

quote:

I.2.20 (Bar/Brothel of Innulus and Papilio); 3932: Weep, you girls. My penis has given you up. Now it penetrates men’s behinds. Goodbye, wondrous femininity!

quote:

VI.16.15 (atrium of the House of Pinarius); 6842: If anyone does not believe in Venus, they should gaze at my girl friend

quote:

VII.2.48 (House of Caprasius Primus); 3061: I don’t want to sell my husband, not for all the gold in the world

quote:

VII.12.18-20 (the Lupinare); 2175: I screwed a lot of girls here.

quote:

III.5.3 (on the wall in the street); 8898: Theophilus, don’t perform oral sex on girls against the city wall like a dog

quote:

(gladiator barracks); 8792: On April 19th, I made bread

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
The Pompeii graffiti never gets old. :allears:

(4/19 make bread erry day)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Seriously, it's the Pompeii graffiti that always hits me the hardest with the realization that the people 2000 years ago were pretty much exactly the same as we are now. I actually find that kind of uplifting, the idea that at the heart of it all, a human being is a human being is a human being.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Jerusalem posted:

a human being is a human being is a human being.

Hell it's 2,000 years later and people still can't stop drawing dicks on everything.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The world's oldest recorded joke is a fart joke :allears:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Humans enjoy loving, eating, gossiping, and sometimes fighting. These are the immutable states of the human condition.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
Our view on historical cultures is kinda skewed because we have limited sources on how people actually lived. When you write a Big Serious Book you're probably writing about the ideal and not the day to day life.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Kemper Boyd posted:

Our view on historical cultures is kinda skewed because we have limited sources on how people actually lived. When you write a Big Serious Book you're probably writing about the ideal and not the day to day life.

I think part of the problem, too, is we often learn about these ancient cultures in huge sweeping tales about war and intrigue and all that, and it becomes very easy to view it all like you're reading Lord of the Rings or something.

As far as graffiti goes, I always loved this one, which is basically an argument on Twitter:

quote:

I.10.2-3 (Bar of Prima); 8258, 8259: The story of Successus, Severus and Iris is played out on the walls of a bar: [Severus]: “Successus, a weaver, loves the innkeeper’s slave girl named Iris. She, however, does not love him. Still, he begs her to have pity on him. His rival wrote this. Goodbye.”. [Answer by Successus]: “Envious one, why do you get in the way. Submit to a handsomer man and one who is being treated very wrongly and good looking.” [Answer by Severus]: “I have spoken. I have written all there is to say. You love Iris, but she does not love you.”

But this one is my favorite, truly words to live by:

quote:

VIII.2 (in the basilica); 1882: The one who buggers a fire burns his penis

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Walliard posted:

The Pompeii graffiti never gets old. :allears:

(4/19 make bread erry day)

I'm sorta wondering if 'made bread' might be a euphemism along the lines of 'bun in the oven'?

But maybe that's just the rest of the graffiti influencing me!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I like the ones that boil down to,"Me and my brother/friend/some guy I just met got really goddamn drunk and did our best to get laid. Good times :c00l:"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Maybe he pinched off a loaf in his buddy's scutum.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Ask me about Roman/Greek/totally sweet ancient history: Goodbye, Wondrous Femininity

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

quote:

The library of Alexandria burned to the ground. Jesus Christ never wrote down a single thing. All we really have are Aristotle's lecture notes. Caesar didn't live long enough to write about his true intentions. But none of that matters because this has survived to the modern day.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I desperately want to see that in latin as some Ivy league schools motto.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Third Murderer posted:

But this one is my favorite, truly words to live by:

quote:

Don't you dare leave out the original Latin:

Accensum qui pedicat urit mentulam

From Corpus Inscriptionum Latinarum, Vol. 4.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Thank you for the Latin version.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
This is a good title change.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I still prefer mine. It even works better if you read it in a fabulous manner.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Frostwerks posted:

I still prefer mine. It even works better if you read it in a fabulous manner.

Is there any other way to read it? I mean it's still as true today as it was two millennia ago.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

On the child sacrifice thing, I propose it is due to one simple fact.

Moloch hungers :colbert:

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pimpmust posted:

Moloch hungers :colbert:

He's kept bloody quiet about it since his city burned down in that case.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Josef bugman posted:

The Head and the Hands were joined by the Heart, and that was it for ol' Moloch.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Josef bugman posted:

Mars was hungrier.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Agean90 posted:

Mars was hungrier.

Moloch was delicious I guess.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

sullat posted:

I remember a segment on NPR a few years back that said that ads for Sumerian beer had been unearthed.

Chandragupta Family Brewery's famed "Har-hoppa" Indus Pale Ale.

(I like to think the Indus River folks had one hell of a distribution network)

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Not sure if this link has been posted before, but here are a series of free lectures and podcasts from the University of Oxford about Rome (or loosely connected to Rome) that some people might enjoy listening to.
http://podcasts.ox.ac.uk/search?terms=rome

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ghetto Prince posted:

Holy poo poo, I finished the thread :stare: .... I mean, great thread, really interesting and informative.

Anyway, I've heard that works like Aesop's Fables and The Odyssey were supposed to be studied seriously and I've been wondering what ancient Romans would have read for fun? What was the classical version of the 1001 Nights or Grimms Fairy Tales?

They had joke books: http://www.theguardian.com/books/2009/mar/13/roman-joke-book-beard

One joke that isn't that article: A man is on a boat with his slaves when suddenly a storm breaks out. The slaves screams in terror but the man tell them not to worry since has freed them all in his will.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Alhazred posted:

They had joke books: http://www.theguardian.com/books/2009/mar/13/roman-joke-book-beard

One joke that isn't that article: A man is on a boat with his slaves when suddenly a storm breaks out. The slaves screams in terror but the man tell them not to worry since has freed them all in his will.

The "grandpa died peacefully in his sleep, too bad about the passengers in his car" of the ancient world.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Here's the whole of it, with middling translations if you're interested.
http://publishing.yudu.com/Library/Au7bv/PhilogelosTheLaughAd/resources/index.htm

...it's surprisingly funny..ish.
edit: skip the intro, unless you're particularly interested, the jokes start on page 20'ish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
The translation is just smooth enough that I want to see the original and find out what's been sacrificed for the sake of sounding acceptable in English. The ironies of translation.

Speaking of irony:

quote:

Freedom to Read ...
We do not allow offensive material ... please let us know if this publication is not Freedom-friendly.

The doublethink is loving palpable.