Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

Len posted:

I remember reading something from Funcom that you would have to do the hardest ones to get the best augments. But since apparently golds are dropping wherever they feel like they probably hosed that up.

Although we get them fairly reliably doing groups with less people than expected so maybe they coded them to drop more when that happens?

So I thought the entry requirements were only waived on normal solo (i.e. going in with a group instead), or exploiting the nightmare solo, but apparently not? Do groups/duos not actually require a group/duo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

thegodofchuck posted:

So I thought the entry requirements were only waived on normal solo (i.e. going in with a group instead), or exploiting the nightmare solo, but apparently not? Do groups/duos not actually require a group/duo?

We were doing elite groups with four people but I think Cheston has decided that the right number is 3. He wants to maximize the amount of rolls he wins.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Can one of you beautiful bastards send me a trial if you have one? I am interested in this game and want to check it out.

jason.wenzel at gmail

Thanks!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Shath Hole posted:

Can one of you beautiful bastards send me a trial if you have one? I am interested in this game and want to check it out.

jason.wenzel at gmail

Thanks!

Should be inbound.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Got it, thanks much!

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

I finished Egypt just a bit ago and I'm pretty sure I missed something. So I go into the City, run around grabbing dead child magic, and the Orochi have Orochied themselves good and proper because they couldn't stop themselves from putting their paws on the ancient artifacts against orders. I fix their mess, and in return, they brain me when I'm weak and steal something that was probably pretty boss. I'm on board thus far, it feels like Orochi letting me live and/or not sealing me in there is their version of a thank you. Where I'm lost is where this translates into a bullet in my brain averted only through Geary's tender mercies.

I know the Illuminati are results-oriented, but intel was gained and Akhenaten put down, even though Orochi stole the prize at the bottom of the crackerjack box. Whatever it was. Why are Orochi even mad? Before I showed up the Orochi in the City who weren't dead were filth-infected, and they appear to be at least partially responsible for Akhenaten waking up. So what about this is "a mess pinned on the Illuminati", to paraphrase Geary? All I can think is that the Orochi are really in bed with the Filth and are pissed that a big Filthy god is now going back to sleep, but why on earth would they advertise that? I feel really stupid because I can't connect the dots here, please help.

P.S. Are good endgame solo builds pretty much all AR/x? This with QL10 greens and blues + Forgotten Ashes isn't cutting the mustard against fungus filth and padurii in Shadowy Forest. Or is my problem that I'm undergeared?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Remora posted:

I finished Egypt just a bit ago and I'm pretty sure I missed something. So I go into the City, run around grabbing dead child magic, and the Orochi have Orochied themselves good and proper because they couldn't stop themselves from putting their paws on the ancient artifacts against orders. I fix their mess, and in return, they brain me when I'm weak and steal something that was probably pretty boss. I'm on board thus far, it feels like Orochi letting me live and/or not sealing me in there is their version of a thank you. Where I'm lost is where this translates into a bullet in my brain averted only through Geary's tender mercies.

I know the Illuminati are results-oriented, but intel was gained and Akhenaten put down, even though Orochi stole the prize at the bottom of the crackerjack box. Whatever it was. Why are Orochi even mad? Before I showed up the Orochi in the City who weren't dead were filth-infected, and they appear to be at least partially responsible for Akhenaten waking up. So what about this is "a mess pinned on the Illuminati", to paraphrase Geary? All I can think is that the Orochi are really in bed with the Filth and are pissed that a big Filthy god is now going back to sleep, but why on earth would they advertise that? I feel really stupid because I can't connect the dots here, please help.

P.S. Are good endgame solo builds pretty much all AR/x? This with QL10 greens and blues + Forgotten Ashes isn't cutting the mustard against fungus filth and padurii in Shadowy Forest. Or is my problem that I'm undergeared?

Pretty sure it's because by this point, you've hosed up twice - Solomon Island and Egypt. Yeah, you learned some stuff- enough to make you dangerous- but you actually made each situation worse, from the Illuminati's point of view. If you had just left well enough alone, things would have proceeded more favorably, albeit slowly.

Patience
Jul 1, 2006
Success on someone else's terms don't mean a fucking thing.

Remora posted:

I feel really stupid because I can't connect the dots here, please help.

You're not stupid, it's just lovely writing that repeats itself:

"You prevented a God in New England from achieving nigh incomprehensible levels of power only to have the victory diminished in a unsatisfying, ham-fisted way by a minor character."

"You prevented a God in Egypt from achieving nigh incomprehensible levels of power only to have the victory diminished in a unsatisfying, ham-fisted way by a minor character."

quote:

No, they aren't; but AR builds are easy to DPS, and easy DPS is a popular way to play the game. Like Chaos/Blade tanks, there's just not a lot to it. If you want to branch out, try using the ability search function to find complimentary abilities. For instance, the other day I searched & found a Fist ability called Salt in the Wound to add to my Afflict Tank.

Some abilities are organized around a common theme, like Elementalism is good at DPS & purging status anomalies (very useful in Nightmare Dungeons) or Pistols has a lot of synergistic Weakened abilities. Mostly, find something that you enjoy playing & that you feel "works;" and don't pay too much mind when others tell you about their "proper" way to play the game/your character.

Bear in mind the padurii & fungus filth are very tough enemies (Nightmare level?) when you first run into them in the Shadowy Forest. The padurii quest is famously bugged and hated. Maybe hit the power station quests, or do a few Elite Dungeon runs for gear & XP if you feel like you might need it.

If you provide your in game name, I'll even help you run through some Elite Dungeons the next time I see you on.

Patience fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 21, 2013

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

When an ability says it exploits a certain status, I assume that is good. But what does it do? More damage? Other stuff?

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

CopperHound posted:

When an ability says it exploits a certain status, I assume that is good. But what does it do? More damage? Other stuff?

It varies per ability- check the "Show Advanced Ability Descriptions" box to the top-left of the ability wheel and you'll get numbers and specifics. A relatively common one is "does more damage to Afflicted targets," and another common one is "does something to hindered targets, which might actually matter a little since you can use hinders in scenarios."

**New stuff in the item store. We finally got the remote bank, but it's only available as stacks of one-use items for Veteran Points or funbucks. You can also buy weapon skins (and reclaim them as much as you want). My really cool rare assault rifle is now $10 :(

***My shotgun, too. They're among the most expensive ones. I'm going to take this as confirmation that all my poo poo was balla, yo

Cheston fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 21, 2013

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cheston posted:

It varies per ability- check the "Show Advanced Ability Descriptions" box to the top-left of the ability wheel and you'll get numbers and specifics. A relatively common one is "does more damage to Afflicted targets," and another common one is "does something to hindered targets, which might actually matter a little since you can use hinders in scenarios."

**New stuff in the item store. We finally got the remote bank, but it's only available as stacks of one-use items for Veteran Points or funbucks. You can also buy weapon skins (and reclaim them as much as you want). My really cool rare assault rifle is now $10 :(

***My shotgun, too. They're among the most expensive ones. I'm going to take this as confirmation that all my poo poo was balla, yo

I have vendor trashed so many sov-tech skins :smug: poo poo looks like they just welded scrap metal to things.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
These are some hilariously expensive skins. Also what the hell, mobile bank with charges - get hosed Funcom :argh:

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Woah, woah, woah. There are checkboxes below each of your equipped weapons now, and they let you choose whether or not a weapon's visible when not wielding it.

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.
"Due to a previous issue with nightmare scenarios, all [Solo Nightmare] achievements awarded before November 14th have been removed from all players."

gently caress you, Funcom.

Achievements are gone, flame gloves are gone, etc.

EDIT:
-Scenario wave 1 and wave 2 bosses will no longer have a chance to drop epic or heroic unattuned augments, they will instead drop more often from wave 3 bosses.
-Group scenario monsters have a bit more health.

And supposedly they fixed the issue of monsters ignoring aggro, but who wants to bet on that.

Zhaan fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 21, 2013

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Zhaan posted:

"Due to a previous issue with nightmare scenarios, all [Solo Nightmare] achievements awarded before November 14th have been removed from all players."

gently caress you, Funcom.

Achievements are gone, flame gloves are gone, etc.

EDIT:
-Scenario wave 1 and wave 2 bosses will no longer have a chance to drop epic or heroic unattuned augments, they will instead drop more often from wave 3 bosses.
-Group scenario monsters have a bit more health.

And supposedly they fixed the issue of monsters ignoring aggro, but who wants to bet on that.

At least I kept my ghostbuster pack. But seriously Issue 8 is just garbage all around.

Edit: I got my ban lifted just to be banned again an hour and a half later. I hadn't even got to post yet.

Len fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 22, 2013

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Zhaan posted:

I GET TO BE SPECIAL AGAIN

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Len posted:

At least I kept my ghostbuster pack. But seriously Issue 8 is just garbage all around.

Edit: I got my ban lifted just to be banned again an hour and a half later. I hadn't even got to post yet.

Sometimes I feel like they read this thread just for reasons to ban you.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cheston posted:

Why don't you not have the achievements either? You're just as special as the rest of us?

Kyrosiris posted:

Sometimes I feel like they read this thread just for reasons to ban you.

Well if they didn't make such lovely decisions I wouldn't have to get angry in their hugbox. They didn't even give me infraction points so it was clearly a sloppy job because the head mods still haven't gotten to talk to Sezma about whether or not I should be allowed to be unbanned. But it's cool. I have so many accounts to post with they'll need to just start over fresh from nothing to be sure I'm gone.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Len posted:

Well if they didn't make such lovely decisions I wouldn't have to get angry in their hugbox.

Yes, well, if Funcom didn't make lovely decisions they wouldn't be Funcom, now would they? :v:

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.

Cheston posted:

I wasn't aware you are able to solo plat these things.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Marx posted:

I wasn't aware you are able to solo plat these things.

Well, I was getting there. I reserve the right to be angry later.

fullTimeLurker
Nov 10, 2010

Cheston posted:

Well, I was getting there. I reserve the right to be angry later.

Not allowed. No acting smug now and then being angry later when you fail horribly. You've already picked smug, now live with that decision.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
I'm sorry.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Patience posted:

You're not stupid, it's just lovely writing that repeats itself:

"You prevented a God in New England from achieving nigh incomprehensible levels of power only to have the victory diminished in a unsatisfying, ham-fisted way by a minor character."

"You prevented a God in Egypt from achieving nigh incomprehensible levels of power only to have the victory diminished in a unsatisfying, ham-fisted way by a minor character."

I have to say, that's loving disappointing.

quote:

No, they aren't; but AR builds are easy to DPS, and easy DPS is a popular way to play the game. Like Chaos/Blade tanks, there's just not a lot to it. If you want to branch out, try using the ability search function to find complimentary abilities. For instance, the other day I searched & found a Fist ability called Salt in the Wound to add to my Afflict Tank.

Some abilities are organized around a common theme, like Elementalism is good at DPS & purging status anomalies (very useful in Nightmare Dungeons) or Pistols has a lot of synergistic Weakened abilities. Mostly, find something that you enjoy playing & that you feel "works;" and don't pay too much mind when others tell you about their "proper" way to play the game/your character.

Bear in mind the padurii & fungus filth are very tough enemies (Nightmare level?) when you first run into them in the Shadowy Forest. The padurii quest is famously bugged and hated. Maybe hit the power station quests, or do a few Elite Dungeon runs for gear & XP if you feel like you might need it.

If you provide your in game name, I'll even help you run through some Elite Dungeons the next time I see you on.

oh holy poo poo that Nightmare thing actually means something, I did not know that. Well, that makes me feel better. I dropped a bit of cash on some more blues and that seems to have helped, I like Sword/Hammer plenty so that's not a problem. Fungus filth are back to the speedbump pace I'm used to, but with padurii I just have no idea what I'm doing. Are they supposed to be impossible unless you're dropping impairs/hinders or something? The only thing I can figure is that I need to just drop my standalone actives for impairs of some kind as long as I'm in padurii territory, I've just never had to change my build specifically in response to an enemy before.

Ingame name is IOC (don't ask, I grievously misunderstood character naming), I might just take you up on that offer.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Remora posted:

I have to say, that's loving disappointing.

oh holy poo poo that Nightmare thing actually means something, I did not know that. Well, that makes me feel better. I dropped a bit of cash on some more blues and that seems to have helped, I like Sword/Hammer plenty so that's not a problem. Fungus filth are back to the speedbump pace I'm used to, but with padurii I just have no idea what I'm doing. Are they supposed to be impossible unless you're dropping impairs/hinders or something? The only thing I can figure is that I need to just drop my standalone actives for impairs of some kind as long as I'm in padurii territory, I've just never had to change my build specifically in response to an enemy before.

Ingame name is IOC (don't ask, I grievously misunderstood character naming), I might just take you up on that offer.

Padurii are a special gently caress You all on their own. You need to have hinders and impairs to stop the spirits from catching up with the padurii so they *theoretically* lose the buff. It becomes easier when you have all the abilities. My preferred build is a blade/chaos so I can use "close quarters" to hinder everything then "helter skelter" "surging blades" to get away from them.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

fullTimeLurker posted:

Not allowed. No acting smug now and then being angry later when you fail horribly. You've already picked smug, now live with that decision.

First try was 17/18 without a first-aid kit, it's not that bad.

...when the servers don't lag out.

**One down!

Blades/Chaos is boring and slow to level with, but it's great in these things. And lowering the anti-heal-aggro threshold on mobs in Solo/Duo (so that they actually aggro on you before reaching the survivors) removed a lot of the bullshit.

Cheston fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Nov 22, 2013

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cheston posted:

First try was 17/18 without a first-aid kit, it's not that bad.

...when the servers don't lag out.

**One down!

Blades/Chaos is boring and slow to level with, but it's great in these things. And lowering the anti-heal-aggro threshold on mobs in Solo/Duo (so that they actually aggro on you before reaching the survivors) removed a lot of the bullshit.

Well they did nerf the difficulty since they came out. Mobs actually stop running when you hit them now. So your options aren't kill adds before they get to the survivors or lose survivors.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Len posted:

Well they did nerf the difficulty since they came out. Mobs actually stop running when you hit them now. So your options aren't kill adds before they get to the survivors or lose survivors.

That's not a nerf, that was a fix. Some random enemies would completely ignore you, no matter how much damage you dealt, until they got to the survivors At which point they would turn around, but only if you're nearby.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cleretic posted:

That's not a nerf, that was a fix. Some random enemies would completely ignore you, no matter how much damage you dealt, until they got to the survivors At which point they would turn around, but only if you're nearby.

At launch Joel was adamant that things were all working as intended and nothing needed fixed. It's a nerf not a fix.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Len posted:

Hey, I typed this! This very thing!

Len posted:

At launch Joel was adamant that things were all working as intended and nothing needed fixed. It's a nerf not a fix.

There were two separate issues, one was certain mobs ignoring all aggro and another was mobs in general having aggro tables tuned for Group mode (aka "pure blood healers with Agitator"). The former failed you if you ran into it, and is a fix, the latter made you use Agitator or a Vexing augment, and is a nerf to something that was unintentional, which they usually don't admit to.

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.
At least we can all look back and agree that had changes not been made, getting solo platinum would have been impossible and entirely dependent on spawns rather than player skill/ability.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Marx posted:

At least we can all look back and agree that had changes not been made, getting solo platinum would have been impossible and entirely dependent on spawns rather than player skill/ability.

Sure its RNG dependent but I got solo plat on nightmare hotel with both snipers and sandstorm, pre-patch. It was doable.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

My second try. This is far less RNG than it is having the gear and knowing what to do.

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

kampen mot gud og hvite krist er i gang
Grimey Drawer
ESO beta isn't shaping up but it's made my itch come back so I'm interested in checking this out if someone has a trial key pls thx!

vv gracias

edgar_ fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 23, 2013

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Gene Simmons posted:

ESO beta isn't shaping up but it's made my itch come back so I'm interested in checking this out if someone has a trial key pls thx!

XC2YX5RLNGVDQLWE69NS

Bursk
Nov 12, 2007

Bank of Bursk
Hugh, please check your PMs.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Thanks to Cool Dude Patience for running me through my first dungeon and generally running around and being, as implied, a Cool Dude.

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.

Cheston posted:

My second try. This is far less RNG than it is having the gear and knowing what to do.

Then you'd totally be willing to run Nightmare Duos with me, right, Cheston?

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Zhaan posted:

Then you'd totally be willing to run Nightmare Duos with me, right, Cheston?

Sure! Probably after this weekend, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.

Cheston posted:

Sure! Probably after this weekend, though.

Let me know. Both my leech weapons will be 10.5s tomorrow finally.

• Locked thread