Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Bicyclops posted:

The "If some guy can do it in his basement, then surely we can do it here!" effect really only works if the guy doing stuff in his basement does it well.

I don't really care if they do anything with the actual concept of Renegades, just that it gets their attention and shows them that enough people still want to watch Trek on tv that a new series is viable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Apple Jax posted:

Sorry if I missed it, but have we posted about that stupid Star Trek: Renegades trailer?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhZPbX2x3Ug

It looks terrible. Production and makeup look great, but I hate how super dark and gritty it looks. It looks so hamfisted that I want to barf. It's neat that Walter Koenig, Tim Russ and a few others are in it, but this really doesn't do anything for me.

I'm also just bitter about actual actors using Kickstarter recently, they're already established actors with connections in the business. Kickstarter is supposed to be for the little guy who has no chance of doing a project otherwise.

Also, also their logo looks like an angsty high school rear end in a top hat designed it:

The people who run Kickstarter has said more than a few times that all these "bigger" projects (with a few exceptions, single millions isn't a whole lot for the projects that got them) appearing and succeeding has actually helped out the little guy because its been driving more and more people to browsing Kickstarter, not taking money away from smaller projects.

Otherwise, eh. Most fan films that put in actual effort are pretty hard to judge until they actually come out. It does seem like this one is at least trying to look/sound good, even if its trying to be Firefly: Star Trek Edition.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Azurrat posted:

Nope, you're thinking of the shuttles.

The story I heard about the shuttle is that they only built it when a toy company offered to foot the bill for its construction in return for the rights to sell miniature reproductions.

Otisburg posted:

Just finished Living Witness.

I have to assume the unfortunate "What if the Holocaust didn't happen?" allegorical message was... unintentional.

Hey, it's not like that type of thing doesn't happen. Look at Turkey.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The only good Harry Kim was Future Harry Kim who was all angsty about killing everyone on Voyager.

From Memory Alpha:

- According to the Star Trek Online tie-in novel The Needs of the Many, Harry Kim became the First Officer of Starbase 11 in 2400.

So RIP Starbase 11.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme posted:

Kurn's not his brother anymore though, so :colbert:

Ugh this still annoys me, because at the end of DS9 Worf seems to have accumulated enough dumb honor to more than make up for the reasons Kurn wanted to die. Now Worf's one of the most important figures in Klingon society, too bad your poor brother can't enjoy it because you wiped his brain you monster!

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

showbiz_liz posted:

Ugh this still annoys me, because at the end of DS9 Worf seems to have accumulated enough dumb honor to more than make up for the reasons Kurn wanted to die. Now Worf's one of the most important figures in Klingon society, too bad your poor brother can't enjoy it because you wiped his brain you monster!

Second-Wave Trek had a seriously cavalier attitude towards brain wipes.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

rypakal posted:

Second-Wave Trek had a seriously cavalier attitude towards brain wipes.

So does the first wave. Uhura got mindwiped and everyone just ignored it.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Brain wipes and clone deaths.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

So does the first wave. Uhura got mindwiped and everyone just ignored it.

That's not really the same thing. She was assaulted with a brain wipe and it was considered a VERY BAD THING. It's just her magical recovery they skipped over.

But in mid-world Trek, Crusher, Bashir loving love wiping people's minds without considering how big of an atrocity that is to do to another human being.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Quark has more Klingon Honor than Worf.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm sure at least one of the comics, books or video games restores Kurn's memory using Q or space blob gods or time travel.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

Bicyclops posted:

I'm sure at least one of the comics, books or video games restores Kurn's memory using Q or space blob gods or time travel.

According to MA, the book A Burning House deals with Kurn/Rodek having his memories return. I'm not finding any details about it, so dunno what that really means.

edit: Nevermind, found it

Memory Beta posted:

Rodek began regaining his memories of his time during and after The Battle at San-Tarah. He allowed himself to be misled by Dorrek, brother of Klag, into believing Klag was responsible for his memory alterations. Rodek challenged Klag but Worf intervened, telling both the truth about Rodek's identity. Klag chose to remove Rodek from the IKS Gorkon due to Rodek's challenge.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

rypakal posted:

That's not really the same thing. She was assaulted with a brain wipe and it was considered a VERY BAD THING. It's just her magical recovery they skipped over.

But in mid-world Trek, Crusher, Bashir loving love wiping people's minds without considering how big of an atrocity that is to do to another human being.

Crusher didn't wipe minds, she just did "erase the past couple of days". Bashir on the other hand should be court-martialled.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Kazy posted:

Crusher didn't wipe minds, she just did "erase the past couple of days". Bashir on the other hand should be court-martialled.

Is it that shocking since he is a no good augment ?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

bobkatt013 posted:

Is it that shocking since he is a no good augment ?
Perhaps we should reconsider his sense of morality. After all, he has taken of the fruit that the Federation's foolish backwardness denies to us in order to control us. Mindwipes for everyone!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bashir probably kept his own little Dollhouse of mindwiped people underneath Quark's holosuites.

I'd say he's the worst Star Trek doctor, but at least I mostly actively dislike him instead of caring about him so little that I want him off the screen, like Crusher. I don't get the Pulaski hate, I kind of wish that she'd stayed.

(I haven't hit the augment episode yet, but I think I'm mostly done caring about spoilers).

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

Bashir probably kept his own little Dollhouse of mindwiped people underneath Quark's holosuites.

I'd say he's the worst Star Trek doctor, but at least I mostly actively dislike him instead of caring about him so little that I want him off the screen, like Crusher. I don't get the Pulaski hate, I kind of wish that she'd stayed.

After rewatching TNG it became apparent that she had the right view regarding Data.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

People who hate Pulaski hate good characters.

bobkatt013 posted:

After rewatching TNG it became apparent that she had the right view regarding Data.

What I like about her views on him is how she goes from being as dismissive of him as she would be to a computer console to genuinely liking him and stepping up to defend him when other people dismiss him as a dumb machine. There's some serious growth there, and it's pretty awesome.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes
I definitely don't get the dislike for Bashir. He's a good character and if it's just for the fact that he mind-wiped Kurn, this could be explained away as a personal request from Worf. Bashir might've refused at first, but after being pressured and told that it's a different culture and is better than the alternative, he does it.

Sisko would be mad, but he'd probably just a reprimand like Worf did for murdering Kurn.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

I definitely don't get the dislike for Bashir. He's a good character and if it's just for the fact that he mind-wiped Kurn, this could be explained away as a personal request from Worf. Bashir might've refused at first, but after being pressured and told that it's a different culture and is better than the alternative, he does it.

Sisko would be mad, but he'd probably just a reprimand like Worf did for murdering Kurn.

But this is about 100000x worse than killing him. This is a permanent and lifelong rape.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's not so much that as that he's an egotistical, entitled creep with a superior attitude.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Would it still be bad if he mind wiped Alexander?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The antipathy towards Pulaski basically stems from the view that she goes out of her way to be rude and even hostile towards Data for basically no reason, and because of his inability to actually respond or offer a retort towards her, it makes her look like an insidious, bullying shithead at best, and a bigot at worst. Stuff like her mispronouncing Data's name, and then acting like it doesn't even matter, or when Data offers to be there for Troi when she gives birth to the rape baby and Pulaski pretty much is like ":argh: gently caress YOU loving ROBOT gently caress, loving gently caress OFF YOU gently caress" for no good reason basically poisons the well for her character. It also undermines the idea of Picard being a good captain, because a good captain would have clamped down on that poo poo right away by telling her to either get her head out of her rear end or gently caress right off the boat.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!

Gau posted:

To which season 5 ideas are you referring? Because the ones on Memory Alpha are pretty bad.

- A Kzinti story called "Kilkenny Cats"
- Four or five more mirror universe episodes
- The Borg Queen's origin story
- T'Pol's father is a Romulan

Also, the refit is an awful idea.

Oh I remember there only being like 1 mirror episode, nevermind! Didn't remember the Borg Queen one either. I really hate the idea of there being a Borg Queen. But the Borg needed a "face" for First Contact so whatever. I just thought the refit looked cool.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

rypakal posted:

But this is about 100000x worse than killing him. This is a permanent and lifelong rape.

Yeah, I'll concede that it's not a great thing to do and would make Kurn feel way worse about his life than before it happened, but I understand why it was done. There were only 2 choices for Worf: let his only true Klingon family member die or give him a new identity. As long as Worf and Kurn's new daddy were the only Klingons to know, it would give Kurn his honor back. If Kurn would have consented, Worf would've asked him, but he wouldn't have. It wouldn't have been honorable to run from his identity. This way, Worf could have his brother and could relish in his life from a distance and Kurn could have his honor, even if it wasn't as a son of Mogh.

Yes, not the most ethical, but it's a tough choice and I understand why they did it.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The Enterprise-D pizza cutter looks like poo poo.

It also looks like a total bastard to clean properly.

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

Yeah I saw this earlier today too.
It looks just hard to use in general and yeah, that's not going to be fun to clean.

The TOS Enterprise bottle opener is still my favorite out of these kitchen accessories.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

The antipathy towards Pulaski basically stems from the view that she goes out of her way to be rude and even hostile towards Data for basically no reason, and because of his inability to actually respond or offer a retort towards her, it makes her look like an insidious, bullying shithead at best, and a bigot at worst. Stuff like her mispronouncing Data's name, and then acting like it doesn't even matter, or when Data offers to be there for Troi when she gives birth to the rape baby and Pulaski pretty much is like ":argh: gently caress YOU loving ROBOT gently caress, loving gently caress OFF YOU gently caress" for no good reason basically poisons the well for her character. It also undermines the idea of Picard being a good captain, because a good captain would have clamped down on that poo poo right away by telling her to either get her head out of her rear end or gently caress right off the boat.

They were just trying to lazily replicate the Bones/Spock dynamic, but there wasn't any sense that they were close friends. So instead of a couple of grumpy buds you get a mean lady yelling at a child.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Personally, I can't cook/cut pizza unless each of my kitchen implements identifies my loyalty to a media franchise. Otherwise how will I know what TV shows I like while I'm eating/preparing food?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Drunkboxer posted:

So instead of a couple of grumpy buds you get a mean lady yelling at a child.

I don't see a problem with this

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

gently caress that, I'm holding out for the Enterprise-J pizza cutter.

Drunkboxer posted:

They were just trying to lazily replicate the Bones/Spock dynamic, but there wasn't any sense that they were close friends. So instead of a couple of grumpy buds you get a mean lady yelling at a child.

Yeah, the impression you'd get from Bones/Spock is that they'd probably go out for a beer later, and that they actually liked each other despite the constant arguments. It also helped the dynamic that while Bones would be all like "you Vulcan prick" to Spock, Spock would give just as good as he got, often leaving Bones flummoxed with his Vulcan balla logic.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Also, being mean to Spock in general is more acceptable because he always had a snobbish quality about him, and zinging him feels like you're just taking him down a peg. While Data's basically just well meaning boy scout.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Also Spock gave as good as he got while Data never defended himself.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Drunkboxer posted:

Also, being mean to Spock in general is more acceptable because he always had a snobbish quality about him, and zinging him feels like you're just taking him down a peg. While Data's basically just well meaning boy scout.

Unless Data decides to take over the ship and no one can stop him. He is a danger and should not have been allowed to be on the ship or at least leashed.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I never thought Pulaski worked either, she didn't bring much to the table. At least Dr. Crusher had the connection to Picard.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

LEGO Genetics posted:

I'm sure somewhere in Season 3 during the Xindi arc they just "gently caress it, forget the whole Temporal War thing, let's have aliens in Nazi uniforms."

I could see some of the potential they had for the time travel/paradox poo poo they were going for. Most likely they didn't have the balls for it, but if the Temporal War ended with the NX01 sacrificing itself to ensure the proper future happens and they are erased from memory and why none of it was mentioned in the future series. That could have been cool.

That would have been a brilliant ending.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

bobkatt013 posted:

Unless Data decides to take over the ship and no one can stop him. He is a danger and should not have been allowed to be on the ship or at least leashed.

Totally unlike the times when undetectable alien influences took over the captain, or other crew members

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

LEGO Genetics posted:

I'm sure somewhere in Season 3 during the Xindi arc they just "gently caress it, forget the whole Temporal War thing, let's have aliens in Nazi uniforms."

I could see some of the potential they had for the time travel/paradox poo poo they were going for. Most likely they didn't have the balls for it, but if the Temporal War ended with the NX01 sacrificing itself to ensure the proper future happens and they are erased from memory and why none of it was mentioned in the future series. That could have been cool.

You've just made me hate the finale of Enterprise all over again.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FlamingLiberal posted:

I never thought Pulaski worked either, she didn't bring much to the table. At least Dr. Crusher had the connection to Picard.

They hardly ever did loving anything with that though, Gates McFadden had to fight long and hard to get them to use that backstory at all after she came back to the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
At the time Pulaski was a vast improvement over Mother Hen Crusher. It's only looking back at the series as a whole that makes Crusher seem better.

• Locked thread