Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 381 days!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Nomnom Cookie posted:

mysql is so bad but silently ignoring check constraints is the worst part of it

I was helping a friend with a problem when suddenyl it turned out that mysql doesn't even have PIVOT

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

oh my god i just picked up python after spending the last 3 years in c++

i'm making things! that do stuff!

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Orbi posted:

yeah python is a language made to be used that does not hate the people coding in it

c++ is good but python is much easier

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp

Orbi posted:

now learn Boost.Python :getin:

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
reading a couple of different software design/architecture/refactoring texts right now

are there any books that make it feel more like a science and less like learning how to read chicken entrails

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

coffeetable posted:

reading a couple of different software design/architecture/refactoring texts right now

are there any books that make it feel more like a science and less like learning how to read chicken entrails

have you read knuth's stuff? i bought volume one but only made it about a tenth of the way through before i got distracted

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Morkai posted:

you just keep whining about the "correct" way to do something while i keep getting paid.

OK

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

coffeetable posted:

no, because it's kinda about æsthetics more than it's about engineering

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

prefect posted:

have you read knuth's stuff? i bought volume one but only made it about a tenth of the way through before i got distracted

ive attempted it before, but sheer level of detail he goes into put me off. it's certainly on the to-revisit list, but underneath a pile of other books that i feel will be a better (more immediate?) return on time invested.

what im wanting is an education in how to go from vague specifications to a class structure that i won't badly regret the next day/week/month/year. so far the most relevant books ive found are on design patterns, and while i'm learning a fair bit they're missing the large-scale-structure advice im looking for.

here's an example of a question i want to be able to answer for myself: for my didactic climate model project, i decided to structure planet initialization as a pipeline. so:
  • you have a grid generator that parameterizes the unit sphere into cells
  • then the grid is passed to a topography generator which creates the planet's surface
  • then the surface is passed to an atmosphere generator, which extracts a 3D cell/face/edge/vertex structure from the 2D face/edge/vertex topography.
  • and that atmosphere is passed to a simulator, which uses it to initialize a simulation
  • and that simulation is passed to a renderer.
thing is, i have no damned clue whether this is a good design, or if the specific way i've implemented the pipeline (with each generator accepting a generator of the previous type as a constructor argument, so a dependency injection framework can pull it all together) is a good implementation.

the received wisdom seems to be "you're just gonna have to gently caress up and learn from your mistakes", but anything that could accelerate that process would be welcome

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 22, 2013

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

coffeetable posted:

the received wisdom seems to be "you're just gonna have to gently caress up and learn from your mistakes", but anything that could accelerate that process would be welcome

write more code to gently caress up more faster

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

coffeetable posted:

gently caress up more often

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

read good code

surprise, all code is bad

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

i checked their website and what are they even selling, i don't get it

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

im a f*cking ninja man

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

git clone trooper posted:

im a f*cking ninja man

whoa! NSFW that poo poo!

salisbury shake
Dec 27, 2011
About 824,000 results (0.33 seconds)
Search Results
Koding
https://koding.com/‎
It's now social, in the browser and free! Sign up with emailSign up with GitHub. KodingYouDevelopersEducationBusinessPricing. Couldn't connect to the ...

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Nomnom Cookie posted:

read good code

surprise, all code is bad

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
it's very funny to me that people think the same community responsible for stack overflow can come together to learn code in a friendly and totally not hostile environment

salisbury shake
Dec 27, 2011
oh its a longpage but theres no scrollbar also you better disable your popup blocker

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

gently caress this web 2.0 garbage burn it all to the ground eject css3 into space return to tables and marquees

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

!WELCOME TO MY WEBZONE!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

fuckinng lol everyone sign up and have a look

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

They want you to develop apps in your browser

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

yet their 'terminal' 'app' lags

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Thigs to do on koding:

quote:

You will have an amazing virtual machine that is better than your laptop. It's connected to the internet 100s of times faster. You can share it with anyone you wish. Clone git repos. Test and iterate on your code without breaking your setup.

It's free. Koding is your new localhost, in the cloud.

unsurprisingly all the chat on there is about ruby and node

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
yeah it's hilarious and bad

like the IDEs that exist are just barely usable, why would an IDE written in javascript be magically better?

salisbury shake
Dec 27, 2011
its been at least an hour and its yet to acknowledge that i've clicked the confirmation link in my email. also when i click log in so far there have been three different behaviors triggered from the one link

edit: lol this thing chugs away

salisbury shake fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Nov 23, 2013

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

it's very funny to me that people think the same community responsible for stack overflow can come together to learn code in a friendly and totally not hostile environment

realtalk here, when I'm doing some lovely thing with some lovely tool i don't know or care to know and it breaks and I'm like "ugh what the gently caress is going on why doesn't thing work" then i google and 90% of the time one of the top 3 SERs is a stack overflow that's relevant. 50/50 on whether the stack overflow is helpful but what are you gonna do, research it thoroughly and provide a better answer? lol gently caress that

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

pointsofdata posted:

Thigs to do on koding:

unsurprisingly all the chat on there is about ruby and node

i tried koding and it gave me less cpu than an ec2 micro...couldnt even make it through one tiny ./configure without getting throttled

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

i signed up and it's lame but the terminal and editor both worked fine and weren't laggy. maybe try it not on walmart wifi and your macbook air or whatever

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

coffeetable posted:

thing is, i have no damned clue whether this is a good design, or if the specific way i've implemented the pipeline (with each generator accepting a generator of the previous type as a constructor argument, so a dependency injection framework can pull it all together) is a good implementation.

In my (relatively short) experience, prototyping is where you test ideas real quick and see what kind of hurdles you're gonna hit with your design.

It's purposefully lovely code where you throw stuff at the wall to see what will stick and that will highlight flaws in how you thought things out. It's a rough draft you make to gently caress up and make your mistakes early.

Then the big risk is having that prototype making it to production.

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

your banned

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

MononcQc posted:

In my (relatively short) experience, prototyping is where you test ideas real quick and see what kind of hurdles you're gonna hit with your design.

It's purposefully lovely code where you throw stuff at the wall to see what will stick and that will highlight flaws in how you thought things out. It's a rough draft you make to gently caress up and make your mistakes early.

Then the big risk is having that prototype making it to production.

best to just assume the code will hit prod imo...that doesn't mean your first cut needs to be good, just fixable

Deus Rex posted:

i signed up and it's lame but the terminal and editor both worked fine and weren't laggy. maybe try it not on walmart wifi and your macbook air or whatever

i didn't say it was laggy, i said the terminal was cpu-throttled. the rest of the UI responded fine but autoconf tests took about 10 seconds apiece

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

Nomnom Cookie posted:

best to just assume the code will hit prod imo...that doesn't mean your first cut needs to be good, just fixable

i didn't say it was laggy, i said the terminal was cpu-throttled. the rest of the UI responded fine but autoconf tests took about 10 seconds apiece

i was responding to this post

pointsofdata posted:

yet their 'terminal' 'app' lags

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Deus Rex posted:

i was responding to this post

use quoooooote

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Deus Rex posted:

it was lovely when tried it :shrug:

just attempted to log back in this morning to check but can't get the email account confirmation to work so w/e

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Nomnom Cookie posted:

realtalk here, when I'm doing some lovely thing with some lovely tool i don't know or care to know and it breaks and I'm like "ugh what the gently caress is going on why doesn't thing work" then i google and 90% of the time one of the top 3 SERs is a stack overflow that's relevant. 50/50 on whether the stack overflow is helpful but what are you gonna do, research it thoroughly and provide a better answer? lol gently caress that

stack overflow can almost always point you in the right direction, it's just not any kind of 'community.' i would never ever feel comfortable asking a question there.

in other news, after spending years adamantly opposed to learning java, i've started learning java and i dont hate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

stack overflow can almost always point you in the right direction, it's just not any kind of 'community.' i would never ever feel comfortable asking a question there.

in other news, after spending years adamantly opposed to learning java, i've started learning java and i dont hate it.

I've asked a few questions there that I needed answered quicker or were too specialized for the slow moving threads in CoC and have always gotten pretty good answers. I even answer some Java questions from time to time.

• Locked thread