Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Hardtarget posted:

ugh, so I cut down my fullsize SIM from my GNex and popped it into my new N5, no problem. Cut was stressful but easy and the phone booted up and connected to fido fine, saved me 10 bucks.

Then I noticed I'm only getting 3G speeds, none of this LTE promised land business. Phoned up Fido and apparently even though I bought my GNex last November from them (so a year ago) and LTE was already all the rage back then they only gave me a 3G SIM and so no LTE for me until I pony up 10 bucks for a new LTE capable micro-sim.

Super bummed about that, why would they even be giving away non lte sims at this point.
Because Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Man those UPS guys are sneaky. My phone was still "out for delivery" when I got home. Around 6pm or a bit later I hear a knock at the door and the doorbell so I literally run upstairs and by the time I got to the door there was no sign of the guy and the phone was sitting on the doorstep. He must have literally rang the bell and RAN back out to the street.

Now I need to get a microsim from Koodo at lunch today.

Hardtarget
Mar 28, 2010

Rolls on Shabbos

grack posted:

Go to a store and talk to an associate, you *should* be able to get an LTE sim for free if you don't have one already. I did when I bought my Optimus G in March.

I called Fido last night and a store earlier today and both indicated it'd be $10 :\

Hardtarget
Mar 28, 2010

Rolls on Shabbos

grack posted:

Go to a store and talk to an associate, you *should* be able to get an LTE sim for free if you don't have one already. I did when I bought my Optimus G in March.

So this post helped me out! Incoming story:

Over Lunch today I went to random Frido store nearby and played dumb and said something like "hey I have this new phone and it's not doing LTE so I phoned fido 611 last night and they said my sim only does 3g and to go to a store and you guys will swap it for me" (I actually did phone 611 last night to confirm)

So he said "no problem" and we start going through the process and then he asks me for 10 bucks + tax and I said something like "oh on the phone they said there's no charge because my current 3g sim doesn't do LTE and I pay for LTE" (this was a bald faced lie but grack's post made me think it's possible)

Sadly he refused to do it and said he's get in trouble with the manager of the store since they are a independently owned and operated store and not actually Fido and that was against store policy. He then went onto say that the guy on the phone was actually talking about corporate stores and I'd need to go to one of those and he then he gave me a list of the corporate stores in the Vancouver region.

Sooooo I extended my lunch break and drove over to the local mall as it has a corp store in it. Went to the Fido booth and asked "Hey is this a corporate store?" and the guy said yes and I said something like "oh great!" and explained the situation with how I upgraded my phone and I'm only 3G speeds and not LTE and said something like "and on the phone he said make sure I go to a corporate store so there's no charge" and the guy was like "oh ya, normally we charge for something like this since you didn't buy the phone from us but it's no problem" and he did it free, no hassles at all.

No idea if I hadn't given him a bit of bullshit if he would have charged me 10 bucks or not (it seems like by default he would have) but he was super nice and the customer service was night and day between a corporate store and a independent store (just attitude of the employees, etc). So I'll only deal with Corp stores in the future I think.

Kinda a long story just to save 10 bucks but eh, Rogers has enough of my money.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
The Koodo store in Metrotown also charged me $10 for the new Sim but I didn't really press the issue.

Hardtarget
Mar 28, 2010

Rolls on Shabbos

Squibbles posted:

The Koodo store in Metrotown also charged me $10 for the new Sim but I didn't really press the issue.

My wife was like "was that really worth $10" but at this point I was on a mission!

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I went to a Koodo kiosk on the off-chance they'd have some Nexus S-sized screens protectors after this happened:

They didn't, predictably, but the employee did recommend buying a defunct model off ebay or craiglist and trying to salvage the screen/digitizer from it. Is that type of repair job likely to work in the long term if I go to some local repair shop with the two phones in tow, or should I buy a screen film to hold stuff in place for now and just expect to have to buy a new phone relatively soon?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I took apart my Nexus S after it died and it's pretty easy to replace the entire screen/digitizer assembly at once. The only thing I messed up was ripping a cable connected to the camera (but who cares, it's so lovely anyways).

If you're anywhere near Toronto, I have a working screen & digitizer (presumably the motherboard is toast). Otherwise, there may be some available on kijiji/craiglist. Keep in mind that spending more than, say $40 or so to try to fix it is a waste - you'll probably need to get a new phone soon enough.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

I put my old sim in backwards in my phone (LG Nitro HD) and told them it stopped connecting to the network.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Man, if my wife and I want iPhones with a gig of data is it basically going to cost us $170/month minimum?

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Does Mobilicity really not let you transfer 604 numbers to them? I don't want to lose my number but I want the $30 plan.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

tuyop posted:

Man, if my wife and I want iPhones with a gig of data is it basically going to cost us $170/month minimum?

I think most carriers are doing double data right now, so for $85 (2GB) + $55 (share) will get two iPhones on the Big 3 carriers. If you do the discount providers, you might get $10 or so cheaper, but they aren't exactly awesome either. If you buy the phones outright with no remaining contract term, you can do $65 + $35 on Bell for the exact same thing.

I know the other carriers offer a cheaper price for non contract phones, but I'm not sure if it's $20 less per line or not.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

OilSlick posted:

I think most carriers are doing double data right now, so for $85 (2GB) + $55 (share) will get two iPhones on the Big 3 carriers. If you do the discount providers, you might get $10 or so cheaper, but they aren't exactly awesome either. If you buy the phones outright with no remaining contract term, you can do $65 + $35 on Bell for the exact same thing.

I know the other carriers offer a cheaper price for non contract phones, but I'm not sure if it's $20 less per line or not.

It's actually $55/phone + $30 for 2GB (1+1) shared + fees on Telus. So $140 + fees total. Which is what we went with.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 19, 2013

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Sassafras posted:

What has given you the impression that you can't port in your 604 number?

I went to one of the stores here in Vancouver (not a corporate store) and that's what they told me.

waxluthor
May 28, 2003
I lost my phone once a long time ago and the Fido kiosk charged me $20 for a replacement sim. :argh:

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 19, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

One they actually can't do is government numbers. There's about it.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I swapped three numbers from Rogers to Wind about two years ago. Two went through fine in ~48 hours (I imagine there was a backlog at Christmas time), but Rogers dragged their feet on the third one for three months, and then insisted I should pay for them.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
My girlfriend's Rogers contract is almost up - our plan is to port away to Koodo, and attempt to avoid paying for a final 30-days of service. Is my logic roughly correct here:

• Her last invoice was Nov 7th. It doesn't specify what period this covers, but I assume this refers to the upcoming 30 days; i.e. Nov 8 - Dec 7th or similar.
  • Her contract end date is in early December (1st or 2nd I believe - but I'll check on that).
  • She should phone on Dec 5th or so, and declare an intent to cancel service in 30 days (and record the agent's name, reference number, etc)
  • On January 5th, initiate the port to Koodo
  • Rogers will issue a final bill, and attempt to bill from Jan 7th + 30 days, even though they can never actually provide that service due to the porting
  • Supposedly, if you file a complaint with the CWTA or whatever, that will compel Rogers to withdraw their claim on the final block of service
  • PROFIT (well, pay less, anyway)
Does that sound reasonable? Has anyone here successfully pulled off the 30-day notice thing?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cell bills cover the previous period, not the upcoming one.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Cell bills cover the previous period, not the upcoming one.

I don't think you're right about that. Certainly it's ambiguous, and I can't find a document from Rogers that explains it, but Koodo at least corroborates my understanding: http://help.koodomobile.com/my-bill/charges-explained/charges-on-your-first-bill

I'm pretty sure they all operate this way. For one thing, it tends to be in line with the rule of thumb that things are structured to the operators' advantage.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
They sort of cover both. They cover the upcoming month of service (your base plan) in addition to any overages / additional charges from the previous month.

Anyway, good luck trying to escape the 30 days notice thing. I just said gently caress it and ported without notice. I didn't want to deal with them making it hard to port my number because I 'cancelled', dealing with the CCTS to get my money back, etc.

It just needs to be against the law to require 30 days service to cancel when they can terminate service at any time and are physically incapable of providing service if you port out, end of story.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lexicon posted:

I don't think you're right about that. Certainly it's ambiguous, and I can't find a document from Rogers that explains it, but Koodo at least corroborates my understanding: http://help.koodomobile.com/my-bill/charges-explained/charges-on-your-first-bill

I just checked my most recent Rogers bill sent to me on Nov 9. Invoice date was Nov 3, and the period this bill is for is Nov 4 to Dec 3. The only previous month fees were a 20 cent overage charge and my -2.53 off for "Credit: Customer Thanks 1 Day Credit".

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Lexicon posted:

I'm pretty sure they all operate this way. For one thing, it tends to be in line with the rule of thumb that things are structured to the operators' advantage.

The first month is prepaid, all other months are postpaid. I had a 60-ish day gap between my first two prepaid bills.

As for the 30 day notice thing, I just switched my Fido plan to the cheapest prepaid plan possible and then just put in my Koodo sim card anyway. But I was not on a contract.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Contracts are referred to as post-paid plans, though.

So it covers the upcoming period, but bills you for the previous one? No wonder it's so hard to cancel them.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Contracts are referred to as post-paid plans, though.

So it covers the upcoming period, but bills you for the previous one? No wonder it's so hard to cancel them.

The only things you're actually "billed" for the previous period are any overages of extra charges beyond your regular monthly amount you've already paid. Your regular monthly bills on a contract/plan will cover the upcoming month.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

But when you start a contract, you don't pay your monthly fee for 30 days.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

It's been a long time since I started a contract so I don't know about that, that's kind of weird though.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Aphrodite posted:

When you start any postpaid plan, contract or no.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Jesus, the fact that this is so ambiguous is yet another failing of our carriers. 8 replies since mine and no one yet among a thread of cell-phone nerds definitively knows how it works!

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

Lexicon posted:

My girlfriend's Rogers contract is almost up - our plan is to port away to Koodo, and attempt to avoid paying for a final 30-days of service. Is my logic roughly correct here:

• Her last invoice was Nov 7th. It doesn't specify what period this covers, but I assume this refers to the upcoming 30 days; i.e. Nov 8 - Dec 7th or similar.
  • Her contract end date is in early December (1st or 2nd I believe - but I'll check on that).
  • She should phone on Dec 5th or so, and declare an intent to cancel service in 30 days (and record the agent's name, reference number, etc)
  • On January 5th, initiate the port to Koodo
  • Rogers will issue a final bill, and attempt to bill from Jan 7th + 30 days, even though they can never actually provide that service due to the porting
  • Supposedly, if you file a complaint with the CWTA or whatever, that will compel Rogers to withdraw their claim on the final block of service
  • PROFIT (well, pay less, anyway)
Does that sound reasonable? Has anyone here successfully pulled off the 30-day notice thing?

I don't work in cancellations, but my take on it would be that your 30 day notice will terminate all billing after the 30 days, so there would be no Jan 7th + 30 days if the notice to cancel was issued on December 7th. If you want to go to the CCTS then just port as soon as her contract is up and get them to do their magic for the bill they will send you for December-January where you aren't using the phone, how ever that works.

If you're doing it your way, it sounds like it would work just fine, but I'd initiate the port a couple of days before January 5th or whatever date the service would end, just in case poo poo happens. And then rejoice, I don't think anyone requires 30 day cancellation notices anymore, once you re-sign your contract or upon its expiry.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Don't tell the company that you are porting away from that you are cancelling until the port has been intiated, this is a sure fire way to lose the number.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Left is before I paid my top up fee, right is after.

Thanks Wind.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

Jan posted:

The first month is prepaid, all other months are postpaid.

This is untrue.

JC posted:

They sort of cover both. They cover the upcoming month of service (your base plan) in addition to any overages / additional charges from the previous month.

This is accurate. On your bill you will notice it says you are being billed for the 30 days AFTER that particular invoice date.

It's like rent.

e: clarity

WienerDog fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 23, 2013

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Left is before I paid my top up fee, right is after.

Thanks Wind.

I don't understand, you're on a $30 plan but they're requiring you to pay $35? Isn't that kind of broken? I would give them a call.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

The Gunslinger posted:

I don't understand, you're on a $30 plan but they're requiring you to pay $35? Isn't that kind of broken? I would give them a call.
I'm on a $30 plan, I paid $30, they didn't apply it to my account, and now I owe $35 somehow.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I'm on a $30 plan, I paid $30, they didn't apply it to my account, and now I owe $35 somehow.

Obviously it's a mistake, give them a call.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My wife's S4 is currently downloading Android 4.3 (Rogers). There was no notifcation, saw it on phonearena.com, but she had wifi turned off for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

leidend posted:

My wife's S4 is currently downloading Android 4.3 (Rogers). There was no notifcation, saw it on phonearena.com, but she had wifi turned off for some reason.

Cool. Just manually triggered it on mine.

790m, this is going to take a while over crappy work wifi.

Edit: This is awful. Data removed from the quick settings menu and mail looks like crap. Terrible.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 25, 2013